So I just realized Piccolo never killed anyone in DBZ after Radditz/Goku

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: So I just realized Piccolo never killed anyone in DBZ after Radditz/Goku

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:03 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:He takes out a ton of Metal Cooler's robots, if I recall correctly. If we're counting the Bio-men, we might as well count those.
I wasn't counting those cause they're just mindless robot drones. That's almost like smashing up vehicles (vehicles that can fight back granted, but still). The Biomen were living creatures. Created in a lab, but still living, breathing, organic beings. Its why I would also count that one Saibaiman Piccolo takes out in the Saiya-jin arc to his manga kill count.
If I recall correctly, they do communicate, even if it's just telling Namekians where to line up. Everyone seems to include 19 for one of Vegeta's kills, so I don't really see a difference.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:14 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Kunzait_83 wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:He takes out a ton of Metal Cooler's robots, if I recall correctly. If we're counting the Bio-men, we might as well count those.
I wasn't counting those cause they're just mindless robot drones. That's almost like smashing up vehicles (vehicles that can fight back granted, but still). The Biomen were living creatures. Created in a lab, but still living, breathing, organic beings. Its why I would also count that one Saibaiman Piccolo takes out in the Saiya-jin arc to his manga kill count.
If I recall correctly, they do communicate, even if it's just telling Namekians where to line up. Everyone seems to include 19 for one of Vegeta's kills, so I don't really see a difference.
Well, the robots in Movie 6 are little more than drones carrying out programming. 19 has more of a personality and feels emotions such as fear.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:01 pm

ABED wrote:Between this and the Vegeta threads, it seems as though there's a contingent who seem to believe the only way to contribute to the story is to kill the big bad or rack up a body count.
You should see the fanart and internet meme's. A lot of people rag on Yamcha because he never killed anyone or won a (canon) fight in DBZ. But then you stop to realize even Piccolo barely ever did either.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:30 pm

We could take Piccolo Daimao's kills into account. Daimao [spoiler]killed Roshi, Chaozu, Shenlong, and basically Master Mutaito[/spoiler] and probably pillaged everyone in his path during the original King Piccolo wars.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:51 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:You could say he killed Nail, I guess. Maybe Kami.
Would "assimilate" not be a better term?
precita wrote:
ABED wrote:Between this and the Vegeta threads, it seems as though there's a contingent who seem to believe the only way to contribute to the story is to kill the big bad or rack up a body count.
You should see the fanart and internet meme's. A lot of people rag on Yamcha because he never killed anyone or won a (canon) fight in DBZ. But then you stop to realize even Piccolo barely ever did either.
Well this is The Goku 'n' his Super Saiyan Friends Show.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

mcdjbeatz
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mcdjbeatz » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:04 am

precita wrote:Who killed Garlic Jr's henchmen in the Garlic Jr. saga? I remember Gohan killing at least two of them, I can't recall if he killed them all or if Piccolo killed one of them.
Gohan killed all of Garlic Jr's Henchman, he killed Vinegar and Spice with a double masenko and Salt and Mustard with individual masenkos.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:03 pm

Contribution and respect are more important than actually landing the killing blow.

Piccolo saved everyone against Nappa and saved everyone against Freeza, multiple times in fact. He also humiliated Gero, which was a great moment, along with karate chopping Babidi in half. I think he remained fairly relevant.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:23 pm

floofychan333 wrote:We could take Piccolo Daimao's kills into account. Daimao [spoiler]killed Roshi, Chaozu, Shenlong, and basically Master Mutaito[/spoiler] and probably pillaged everyone in his path during the original King Piccolo wars.
There was also several of the Earth King's palace guards that he killed (including that one large bodyguard whom he bodily impaled), as well as god knows how many thousands of civilians in that city he blew up. And yeah, he definitely was responsible for a whole ton of death and carnage back during his original attack on humanity (where Mutaito sealed him). If you factor in what he did as Daimao (since Ma Junior is basically Daimao reborn/reincarnated), then Piccolo's death toll rises substantially.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:29 pm

I don't count Piccolo as the same as his father. He retains the memories of his father, but he is essentially his son. Even Piccolo's face looks different than his father's did, especially if you compare the young versions of both in the arcs right after each other.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:50 pm

precita wrote:I don't count Piccolo as the same as his father. He retains the memories of his father, but he is essentially his son. Even Piccolo's face looks different than his father's did, especially if you compare the young versions of both in the arcs right after each other.
This is a source of a lot of contention in fandom. In the original Japanese dialogue, Piccolo (Ma Junior) is referred to as BOTH Daimao's son as well as Daimao himself reincarnated. The term that's most often used to describe him in the Ma Junior arc is "Piccolo Daimao's double". Its the sort of thing that's vaguely reminiscent of religious concepts like Jesus Christ being both the son of God as well as God Himself at the same time (to pull from a Western example for a change).

Daimao gave birth to a son as he was dying (hence why Piccolo looks physically different) and then right as he was dying he transferred his memories and his essence, everything that made him what he was into the child's body. Thus Daimao was reborn/reincarnated into the body of his own son. The Piccolo that we know in Z is effectively Daimao himself (to the point of still maintaining the same spiritual connection to Kami), but changed and altered in certain ways in the transition (like having a conscience as well as no longer being considered a demonic spirit by the DB world's spiritual laws; almost like being reborn acted as some kind of spiritual "filter").

Even during the Saiya-jin, Freeza, and early Cell/Jinzoningen arcs, right up till when he re-merges with Kami, many of the other characters still at times referred to and addressed him as "Piccolo Daimao" straight up. He IS still technically Daimao, but radically changed, i.e. he's no longer a being of pure malevolent evil. Its also why when Piccolo and Kami re-merge in the Cell arc, he refers to himself as "the Namek who had long since forgotten his name". I.e. the original son of Katatsu. Because both halves (good and evil) have rejoined together (after the evil half underwent some "purification" beforehand first). Because Piccolo Ma Junior IS still the other half that was missing from Kami, i.e. Daimao. Its why that moment when he first goes to Kami's temple to re-merge is played up as such a dramatic moment, and why Piccolo's behavior from that point on changes in some subtle (and not so subtle) ways.

In any event, its certainly not just as simple or clean cut a matter as "one's the father, the other's the son". In all honesty, going just off the Japanese script, the dialogue often times seems to lean more heavily towards painting Piccolo Ma Junior and Piccolo Daimao being one and the same being rather than two distinct "father/son" entities (though it at times does go the father/son way too; because BOTH are technically true).

Either way though, I was only saying before that you could add those additional kills IF you wanted to count Piccolo's actions as Daimao. "If" being the operative word here.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:56 pm

I have never realized that before. You opened my mind. Not kidding.

Pickle_Jar
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Pickle_Jar » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:09 am

Yasai9001 wrote:Personally from my perspective, everytime an enemy comes, Piccolo doesn't seem strong enough to kill said enemy. His last chance at killing someone were the Freeza soldiers, or maybe even Sorbet. But he hasn't been getting any spotlight lately, so it makes sense. The saiyans literally took over the story.
I feel the same and it irks me. But I'm a Piccolo fangirl, so I'm kinda biased :P
:mrgreen: I'm a cucumber, so don't put me in the pickle jar! :mrgreen:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:05 pm

Piccolo killing Babidi would have been a nice touch.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:13 pm

To be honest I wish they let Piccolo come on board Babidi's ship and not get toned to stone. Even having something as minor as Piccolo killing another minor henchmen like Pui Pui or Yamu would have been fine for me.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:40 pm

The Monkey King wrote:Hell Piccolo never even won a fight in the manga after he killed that Saibaman
Yup. Two chances to be the strongest and nothing really came out of it.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Mon May 01, 2017 12:02 am

Piccolo got plenty of kills in the movies.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Mon May 01, 2017 12:02 am

precita wrote:To be honest I wish they let Piccolo come on board Babidi's ship and not get toned to stone. Even having something as minor as Piccolo killing another minor henchmen like Pui Pui or Yamu would have been fine for me.
Piccolo would have wrecked Pui Pui into a million pieces, that guy thought 10 times Earth's gravity was something special.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl