Super Toriyamario Bros...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

cheddarsword
Regular

Super Toriyamario Bros...

Post by cheddarsword » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:44 pm

So I'm reading through the DB manga and I'm in the General Blue section of the Red Ribbon arc. And I just noticed the words on Krillin's grocery bag... SUPER MARIO. The hell? Toriyama's a Mario fan from way back?

Maybe if Krillin had eaten a super mushroom, he and 18 would see things "eye to eye" more often?

I know there's references all over the place, but are there any more Nintendo references?

I'm a Nintendo fan at heart but due to their recent f*** ups, I've dropped them and kept my PlayStations in action instead. Loving the PS4.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Re: Super Toriyamario Bros...

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:42 pm

Ha! I didn't even notice though I've bought 30 out of 46 manga volumes and read them all. It's quite likely that Akira Toriyama was a Mario fan considering SMB was the turning point in video game history and it was made in Japan. We also know that Toriyama was big on gaming when he was writing DB so it's almost certain he would have played Nintendo games.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu