A fusion between DBZ Movie 2 and the tournaments could make for a good live action film

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Intheworldofnim

A fusion between DBZ Movie 2 and the tournaments could make for a good live action film

Post by Intheworldofnim » Tue May 02, 2017 9:49 am

Whenever there is a fan discussion about a live action dragon ball movie, Most people completely skip the tournament sagas. They go from red ribbon army, straight into piccolo, completely over looking the tournament sagas, and I personally think that's just a complete lack of creativity. First of all, piccolo should be introduced in a threequel, not a sequel. Second, there is a lot of potential in setting up a film surrounding the events during the World Marshal Arts Tournament. A greater enrichment of the World tournament setting would be combining it with the main plot elements from the DBZ movie (The worlds strongest). Dr wheelo searching for the worlds strongest so he could steal their body. Take certain story elements from each of the 3 tournament sagas, (the 22nd world marshal arts tournament being the main one) like certain battles from the 21st tournament, piccolo jr from the 23rd tournament, but not the evil king piccolo incarnate, just the same piccolo we all grew accustomed to but with even more of a chip on his shoulder and a more powerful chi chi. The crane hermit (ki master) and Dr Wheelo are working together for mutual gain, The crane hermit makes a deal to deliver him the worlds strongest using the World marshal arts tournament as a showcase. Instead of having every fight being nothing but duels, the finals could stack several fighters up against each other at the same time in a big free for all. The scene will look somewhat like the airport scene in Captain America Civil War and piccolo jr would be the antman of the scene, becoming giant and all. The individual fights from the manga will still take place only they will be pre finalist. Chi Chi is also much stronger than she is portrayed in the manga and can perform a kamahamaha wave (since her dad did in fact study under master roshi and grandpa gohan was able to perform the move so it only makes sense that the father can to, which makes her character a little more interesting, Also she is the ox kings daughter, she should be much stronger than she appeared in the manga) unlike her manga counterpart. goku and chichi's fight will feature a less one sided duel. most of the main fights from the manga will be pre finals. the 8 or 6 finalists in the battle royal free for all will be composed of mostly new characters with only Goku, Piccolo Jr and Tien's battles taking part in the 8 or 6 fighter battle royal. the final 3 will be goku, piccolo and Tien. Goku and Tien team up on giant piccolo, they beat him and then they have their final battle. which plays out similar to both their 22nd and 23rd battle from the manga. Then after the tournament, Wheelo comes into the picture and we have the final showdown take place in the artic, where the worlds strongest film climax took place.

Ozotto
Beyond Newbie

Re: A fusion between The worlds strongest movie and the tournaments could make for a good live action film

Post by Ozotto » Tue May 02, 2017 5:06 pm

Honestly I would probably enjoy a tournament based live action film.
It would have to be done correctly though.

In my opinion it's impossible to transition DB/Z over to live action perfectly, it would have to be it's own rendition, but it would still need to be faithful to certain aspects of the show/ manga, most importantly the characters.

As cheesy as the original mortal kombat movie was, I really enjoyed it, and still do as an adult.

If they could do a highly skilled choreographed martial arts movie, with character development, I wouldn't mind a plot based around winning a tournament for whatever reason.

The 23rd tournament and the world's strongest is an interesting time during DB/Z where everyone isn't exactly over powered or completely outmatched.

Would watch/10

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Re: A fusion between The worlds strongest movie and the tournaments could make for a good live action film

Post by floofychan333 » Tue May 02, 2017 6:19 pm

I do like this idea, but I have to say that people don't "skip the tournaments." The tournaments are all part of individual arcs, but the arcs are known by the names of the main villains (RRA, Piccolo) so I assume that's what people are talking about when they mention the Red Ribbon Army arc going into the Piccolo arc. The tournament sagas are part of individual sagas that make up arcs; for example, the Tenshinhan saga (22nd tourney), Pikkoro-Daimao saga, and Piccolo Jr saga (23rd tourney) all make up the Piccolo arc. This naming choice doesn't make the tournament any less relevant.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Ozotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ozotto » Tue May 02, 2017 10:23 pm

I was thinking that perhaps replacing The World's Strongest with Dead Zone could be viable as well for merging.

The only question is where does Gohan fit in all this, if at all?

Intheworldofnim

Post by Intheworldofnim » Fri May 12, 2017 1:38 am

Ozotto wrote:Honestly I would probably enjoy a tournament based live action film.
It would have to be done correctly though.

In my opinion it's impossible to transition DB/Z over to live action perfectly, it would have to be it's own rendition, but it would still need to be faithful to certain aspects of the show/ manga, most importantly the characters.

As cheesy as the original mortal kombat movie was, I really enjoyed it, and still do as an adult.

If they could do a highly skilled choreographed martial arts movie, with character development, I wouldn't mind a plot based around winning a tournament for whatever reason.

The 23rd tournament and the world's strongest is an interesting time during DB/Z where everyone isn't exactly over powered or completely outmatched.

Would watch/10
manga, anime and film are two totally different mediums, so I wouldn't worry much about trying to get a perfect rendition of the anime/manga. Not in the sense where it mirrors the manga 100%, that wouldn't make for a superb film imo. it's going to have to stand out a little more than that. A perfect Dragonball/Z movie rendition to me would be one that gets the core elements right, is faithful story wise, character wise, and the world that makes up the dragon ball universe and perfectly crafts it in a way that works on the big screen. A way that doesn't make the film feel like an average generic action blockbuster movie. similar to the way Guardians of the galaxy kinda changed the game in the audiences eyes, especially with that kick ass soundtrack which was like it's own character in the movie.

I like creating stories and imagining how a live action dragonball movie would play out (I do that for fun) then I came across the idea of maybe implementing some story elements from the DBZ movies and seeing how some might fit into the main storyline. I originally thought of making the second live action DB film take place during the 22nd world marshal arts tournament saga (with a select few story elements from the other two sagas) with The Crane hermit (chi master) being the main baddie but then I had the idea of combining it with the main story concept behind the DBZ film "the Worlds strongest" where Doctor wheelo is the main villain. It made perfect sense to me because I felt it enriched the story possibilities of making a whole film about a marshal arts tournament. 1 of the reasons people said they skipped the tournaments sagas when coming up with ideas for possible live action DBZ films was that, a whole film surrounding a tournament would be boring, which I can kinda understand but that's mainly the case if someone has a limited imagination. I personally feel their are multiple things a creator can do to make a tournament plot based film work. In order to make a whole film around a subject like that, you need more substance, you need some kind of conspiracy of some kind, there has to be more and I felt the plot of The worlds strongest served that purpose well. I also felt it was a creative way to implement a storyline from the movies into the main plot which is one of the reasons the idea really excites me but I've never heard anyone else come up with something like that. Everyone else just thought a film surrounding the events of the tournament saga just couldn't be done.

Now The main differences with the film from the manga would be -

1. a less evil piccolo Jr. in my rendition, there is no Evil piccolo that wants to kill everyone, it's going to be the same piccolo we all know and grew accustomed to only, in his introduction in this film, he's just more of an asshole. but he's not going to be that evil dude from the 23rd tournament saga. He's going to be the piccolo from the saiyan/freeza saga, only more of an asshole because this is before he became gohans mentor.

2. Piccolo Jr was birthed the first time King piccolo was imprisoned by Roshi's master years before instead of when Goku killed him. That's a minor change I personally think benefits the storyline of dragonball, why do we need to see an evil piccolo incarnate that is exactly the same as king piccolo?? WE don't, Tein is going to be Goku's main adversary in the tournament.

3. Chi chi is far more powerful than her manga counterpart. chi chi and goku's battle will be far less one sided like it was in the anime.

4. elements from the baba ark will come into play such and goku's grandpa taking part in the tournament

5. the inclusion of film "The worlds strongest" main plot which is obvious

6. And lastly the, battle royal at the end where all the finalist battle it out at once sort of like the one before the buu saga where the finalists all battled eachother (which was essentially a 1 on 1 fight because Mr. Satan was completely outmatched and ignored the whole fight) Piccolo uses his giant form just like Ant man in Captain America Civil war.
Last edited by Intheworldofnim on Fri May 12, 2017 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Intheworldofnim

Post by Intheworldofnim » Fri May 12, 2017 1:47 am

floofychan333 wrote:I do like this idea, but I have to say that people don't "skip the tournaments." The tournaments are all part of individual arcs, but the arcs are known by the names of the main villains (RRA, Piccolo) so I assume that's what people are talking about when they mention the Red Ribbon Army arc going into the Piccolo arc. The tournament sagas are part of individual sagas that make up arcs; for example, the Tenshinhan saga (22nd tourney), Pikkoro-Daimao saga, and Piccolo Jr saga (23rd tourney) all make up the Piccolo arc. This naming choice doesn't make the tournament any less relevant.
From the threads I read, it's not that they think the tournament sagas were irrelevant, the few that mentioned them just felt the tournament sagas had nothing worthy of making a whole film about. I assume that's the reason most completely forget them when discussing the possibilities of a live action DBZ films.

Intheworldofnim

Re: A fusion between DBZ Movie 2 and the tournaments could make for a good live action film

Post by Intheworldofnim » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:24 pm

Anybody else think this would make for a good film?