Thoughts about the Saiyans in Universe 6

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Thoughts about the Saiyans in Universe 6

Post by jeffbr92 » Mon May 08, 2017 5:02 pm

Do anyone like that Saiyans in Universe 6 are skinny and child-like? I mean they could give them more build like this:

Look to the female in the midle, she really looks like a woman not like a 12 years-old girl like Kale and Caulifla, which makes her more appealing!

Also I don't like that Saiyans in U6 don't have tail, they look like earthlings to me, I think Toriyama should not have them to lose such a important characteristic to the Saiyan race
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Re: Thoughts about the Saiyans in Universe 6

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Mon May 08, 2017 5:14 pm

They seem to be a pretty decent counterpart to the combat-ready counterparts of Universe 7 as far as I can tell.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Majin Jator
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Jator » Mon May 08, 2017 6:29 pm

Toriyama's new style doesn't really work well with the old DB aesthetics. But I'm more annoyed by the lack of tails, the most (unique?) characteristic trait of the saiyans. I know AK hated to draw tails back in the day, but he's only doing the designs now, so why not keeping them?

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Mon May 08, 2017 6:31 pm

The U6 Saiyans looks super lame, it's a combination of Toriyama's new skinny art-style which doesn't suit Dragon Ball and them having no tails.

You're right they look just like humans.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Mon May 08, 2017 10:01 pm

The Monkey King wrote:The U6 Saiyans looks super lame, it's a combination of Toriyama's new skinny art-style which doesn't suit Dragon Ball and them having no tails.

Yes! I don't like Toriyama artstyle nowadays it seems like he lost his touch, I would prefer more if he put more effort in his new designs like the ones he did in the past

by Doctor.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Mon May 08, 2017 10:04 pm

Get two new saiyans that are cute, so I'm down with that.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Mon May 08, 2017 10:28 pm

I never liked it either, because of the fact that people didn't know how old Cabbe was supposed to be when he showed up, and the fact that skinny characters like that tend to look weak. I agree with everyone on the issue that without tails or muscle mass they look like little children, and virtually identical to humans now. I know its apart of the artstyle and I don't hate the artstyle, I just don't like the lack of emphasis on what makes these characters "Saiyan". Gohan at 9 was at least 3x bigger than Cabbe, however old he's supposed to be. The Saiyans overall have been watered down a lot by Toriyama's revision of them in U6, which I think is lame. Nothing about them and their general personality really emphasizes they are a "warrior race" at all. In the filler it was also said that the original U7 Saiyans were bigger than the remaining ones today too. I find it pretty unappealing as well.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sun May 14, 2017 1:52 pm

Did Toriyama really never liked to draw tails? They don't seem complicated to me

by Doctor.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun May 14, 2017 2:39 pm

Them having the same requirement for triggering SS is what pisses me off about them, really the only thing.

You cannot, under any circumstances, tell me that a race of people who are warriors have never been emotionally pushed to reach the anger point to activate SS. In a lifestyle that's full of constant fighting, pain, death, misery and loss of life, no one, in the ENTIRE mother fucking history of these people never saw one of their own die and get angry enough over to attain the Super Saiyan forms?!

Fuck. Eeeeuurrrrrfffff.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun May 14, 2017 2:39 pm

One thing that is bothering me is that they do look like a lot like earthlings. Their clothes are so casual. I didn't like at all Renso and those random Saiyans with Caulifla. Too much human design wise. :| They need something to set them apart from earthlings.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun May 14, 2017 2:46 pm

The Monkey King wrote:The U6 Saiyans looks super lame, it's a combination of Toriyama's new skinny art-style which doesn't suit Dragon Ball and them having no tails.

Let me guess, angular and big build like bodybuilders is what suits DB better?

If not, What "suits Dragon Ball" exactly?
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Sun May 14, 2017 2:49 pm

I think it's hilarious that the strongest U6 saiyans (I'm assuming) are the complete opposite looking from the U7 ones. Super small and scrawny compared to our big buff boys. It must give Vegeta flash backs to how short he used to be.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Sun May 14, 2017 6:34 pm

Except that Caulifla's brother looks like U7 "old-design" Saiyan. Toriyama's inconsitient as hell sorry no sorry

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Sun May 14, 2017 6:39 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:

Let me guess, angular and big build like bodybuilders is what suits DB better?

If not, What "suits Dragon Ball" exactly?
A show revolving around martial arts and characters constantly pushing their bodies to their physical limits doesn't fit with an art style where the characters have skinny bodies which look as though they've never done a press up a day in their lives.

Cabba has less muscle on him than kid Gohan, these saiyans (which are essentially strong super humans) don't look stronger or imposing than any earthling with a PL of 5.

Radditz should be the build of your typical saiyan, anyone could look at him and think "Yeah he's clearly stronger than your average person"

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

For what Dragon Ball is Toriyama's old art style fit way better, the characters looked like strong martial artists.

SkuLLR3D

Post by SkuLLR3D » Tue May 16, 2017 1:07 am

I like them.
Idc about the details really. I don't expect much lol

Besides, didn't they evolve differently in u6?
It's a different universe completely, so they are different Saiyans completely.

Keep an open mind without expectations and you'll suddenly start to enjoy things meant merely for entertainment. I promise lol

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Tue May 16, 2017 1:51 am

ekrolo2 wrote:Them having the same requirement for triggering SS is what pisses me off about them, really the only thing.

You cannot, under any circumstances, tell me that a race of people who are warriors have never been emotionally pushed to reach the anger point to activate SS. In a lifestyle that's full of constant fighting, pain, death, misery and loss of life, no one, in the ENTIRE mother fucking history of these people never saw one of their own die and get angry enough over to attain the Super Saiyan forms?!

Fuck. Eeeeuurrrrrfffff.
Wasn't there something about having to surpass the limits of a Saiyan warrior to become a Super Saiyan? The Saiyans as a whole were essentially a race of self entitled weaklings in the grand scheme of things, before Freeza came with his handy healing pods they just kept on killing themselves off in battle during their early years before they could actually get anywhere.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue May 16, 2017 2:06 am

jeffbr92 wrote:Do anyone like that Saiyans in Universe 6 are skinny and child-like?
No, they're very lazy designs that throw out DB and Toriyama's iconic designs in favore of generic anime character designs that are probably easier to animate.
jeffbr92 wrote:Yes! I don't like Toriyama artstyle nowadays it seems like he lost his touch, I would prefer more if he put more effort in his new designs like the ones he did in the past
He's working with Toei and Bandai now so they probably all agree to make designs that are easy to animate and make merchandise off of.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue May 16, 2017 2:34 am

I love it
Now all the Android 18 suckers can go cry themselves to sleep with their she looks young forever motto :thumbup:
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue May 16, 2017 7:48 am

I don't really like Cabba but Caulifla looks amazing.
It seems like a conscious choice by Toriyama to have U6 Saiyans like this. Just look at Hit and Frost (especially Hit) they have muscles unlike Cabba. I just wish Toriyama would give us a more muscular male Saiyan from U6.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue May 16, 2017 9:32 am

I don't get the no muscle complaints, they aren't supposed to be our U7 Saiyans ya know. Our Saiyans were planet conquering brutes, these guys are freedom fighting fairies. It makes perfect sense why they look the way they do, different lifestyle, cultures etc.