Thoughts about the Saiyans in Universe 6

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Thoughts about the Saiyans in Universe 6

Post by Basaku » Tue May 16, 2017 9:49 am

emperior wrote:I don't really like Cabba but Caulifla looks amazing.
It seems like a conscious choice by Toriyama to have U6 Saiyans like this. Just look at Hit and Frost (especially Hit) they have muscles unlike Cabba. I just wish Toriyama would give us a more muscular male Saiyan from U6.
Urhm Renso, Caulifla's brother, hello? Are people forgetting about him? :lol: Sure, he's not "main cast" but he looks exactly how U7 saiyan fighters look like. Heck, he can barely walk and still got muscular pecs :P

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue May 16, 2017 10:55 am

Basaku wrote:
emperior wrote:I don't really like Cabba but Caulifla looks amazing.
It seems like a conscious choice by Toriyama to have U6 Saiyans like this. Just look at Hit and Frost (especially Hit) they have muscles unlike Cabba. I just wish Toriyama would give us a more muscular male Saiyan from U6.
Urhm Renso, Caulifla's brother, hello? Are people forgetting about him? :lol: Sure, he's not "main cast" but he looks exactly how U7 saiyan fighters look like. Heck, he can barely walk and still got muscular pecs :P
Renso was probably designed by someone at Toei and he probably won't ever appear again
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Tue May 16, 2017 11:03 am

emperior wrote: Renso was probably designed by someone at Toei and he probably won't ever appear again
And? His existance ensures Toriyama's current infatuation with skinny sticks won't be the sole design esthetic for U6 Saiyans

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue May 16, 2017 11:23 am

Basaku wrote:
emperior wrote: Renso was probably designed by someone at Toei and he probably won't ever appear again
And? His existance ensures Toriyama's current infatuation with skinny sticks won't be the sole design esthetic for U6 Saiyans
Where did I ever say Toriyama will never draw a muscular U6 Saiyan? Though he hasn't yet, I just wished he will do one in the future. I would like to see U6 Saiyan's King in the tournament, and I would like him to be designed by Toriyama.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Wed May 17, 2017 10:34 am

jeffbr92 wrote:Did Toriyama really never liked to draw tails? They don't seem complicated to me
Dragon Ball Full Color Comics: Freeza Arc Vol. 5 wrote:Is it true that Goku’s tail was a nuisance?!
It’s true. (laughs) Goku was originally an actual monkey in the initial sketches, after all. My editor told me, “Without a tail, he has no distinguishing traits,” so I added a tail. That tail I added was such a nuisance when I was drawing, I couldn’t stand it… so I immediately thought up an episode where his tail gets cut off. (laughs)
“Super History Book” (21 January 2016) wrote:Did the tail get in the way of the fighting?
No, it’s just that I’m always thinking about how things are supposed to work, so it was a real pain to figure out how he’d put his pants on or stuff like that. That’s what always bugged me most. Is there a hole in the pants? Does he put his tail through first, then put the pants on? So that made me want to just get rid of the darn thing… which I did, in the end. (laughs)

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Wed May 17, 2017 12:39 pm

I agree with Majin Jator about the lack of tail but otherwise I really like how they differ from their Universe 7 counterparts. I wouldn't find it as interesting if they were simply identical to "our" Saiyans.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie

Post by AloversGaming » Sun May 21, 2017 5:24 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:Do anyone like that Saiyans in Universe 6 are skinny and child-like? I mean they could give them more build like this:

Look to the female in the midle, she really looks like a woman not like a 12 years-old girl like Kale and Caulifla, which makes her more appealing!

Also I don't like that Saiyans in U6 don't have tail, they look like earthlings to me, I think Toriyama should not have them to lose such a important characteristic to the Saiyan race
I agree. I feel the Saiyans look far greater with this design. Big, strong, looking like they're as much trouble as they're said to be. Nappa, Raditz, Bardock, & basically every background Saiyan in "Bardock: Father of Goku".

Having said that; I LOVE Caulifla's design. Mainly her hair, and I feel having the older style design with her current head/hair design would probably improve her. My current issue is it seems Toei's just changing SSJ's design to their base form, but golden. Lazy, and too similar to the lazy Xenoverse games.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Sun May 21, 2017 8:19 pm

I'm not really a fan of Universe 6 having saiyans to begin with, but the skinnier and leaner designs are at least logical since they're more advanced technologically and civilisationally speaking than the barbarians in Universe 7. Should have kept the tails though. Cripes I miss the tails.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."