The Son Goku/Tenshinhan/Chaozu Appreciation Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

The Son Goku/Tenshinhan/Chaozu Appreciation Thread

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Thu May 11, 2017 3:09 pm

Relive all of the zany stories/lore right here between this dynamic trio. I expect high volumes of discussion to take this thing over. My only concern is that the Kanzenshuu servers may experience some slowdown.

Have at it guys/girls..... :P

... I'll get us started with the one frame in the entire franchise that features these three exclusively[spoiler]prior to Super Episode 89[/spoiler]

And in glorious Steelbook quality!! Taken from Dragon Ball Z Movie 3: The Decisive Battle for the Entire Earth, or Tree of Might:

***Drum roll*** ...

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Man. Just another reason to add for what made this film so good. :thumbup:

Edit: now with drum roll appropriate lead-in fun!
Last edited by Super_Divine_Genki on Fri May 12, 2017 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Re: The Son Goku/Tenshinhan/Chaozu Appreciation Thread

Post by floofychan333 » Thu May 11, 2017 7:12 pm

Ehh, I don't think they can really be called a "dynamic trio" considering all 3 of them were never alive and there during the same fight. Still, I'm glad you're giving Tenshinhan (the 2nd most wasted character in Dragon Ball) and Chaozu a tip of the hat.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

ThatFanaticJackatoo

Post by ThatFanaticJackatoo » Thu May 11, 2017 10:38 pm

I honestly wish that Chioatzu had more spotlight in Z. He never gets stronger unfortunately.

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Fri May 12, 2017 9:45 am

floofychan333 wrote:Ehh, I don't think they can really be called a "dynamic trio" considering all 3 of them were never alive and there during the same fight.
The OP was written up from a point of sarcasm and semi-over the top flair :p

It's drawing attention to just how under-utilized some characters are -- it's an extreme rarity to have Goku, Ten, and Chaozu in the same frame together.

But, my comment about DBZ Movie 3 was not sarcastic. I genuinely like that film. It's the only spot in the franchise that had a Goku/Chaozu communication, albeit, telepathically. And just two words...

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri May 12, 2017 6:19 pm

Tenshinhan has no connection to the main cast, which is why he is often excluded and probably why Toriyama wrote him out of the Buu saga. All the other characters are connected by families or friends, and Yamcha sticks around by being close with everyone....but Tien has always been distant.

Much like 17, I'm surprised Tenshinhan wasn't written out sooner. After he got wished back to life he could have been gone for all the Cell arc.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri May 12, 2017 6:22 pm

precita wrote:Tenshinhan has no connection to the main cast, which is why he is often excluded and probably why Toriyama wrote him out of the Buu saga. All the other characters are connected by families or friends, and Yamcha sticks around by being close with everyone....but Tien has always been distant.

Much like 17, I'm surprised Tenshinhan wasn't written out sooner. After he got wished back to life he could have been gone for all the Cell arc.
He could have been written out the moment he and Chaozu died during the Saiyan arc and he promised he wouldn't be wished back if Chaozu couldn't be wished back either.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Fri May 12, 2017 7:11 pm

Super_Divine_Genki wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:Ehh, I don't think they can really be called a "dynamic trio" considering all 3 of them were never alive and there during the same fight.
The OP was written up from a point of sarcasm and semi-over the top flair :p

It's drawing attention to just how under-utilized some characters are -- it's an extreme rarity to have Goku, Ten, and Chaozu in the same frame together.

But, my comment about DBZ Movie 3 was not sarcastic. I genuinely like that film. It's the only spot in the franchise that had a Goku/Chaozu communication, albeit, telepathically. And just two words...
OK, I get it now. It was just kind of hard to interpret what you were saying.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sat May 13, 2017 7:38 pm

floofychan333 wrote:Ehh, I don't think they can really be called a "dynamic trio" considering all 3 of them were never alive and there during the same fight. Still, I'm glad you're giving Tenshinhan (the 2nd most wasted character in Dragon Ball) and Chaozu a tip of the hat.
I would say he is third behind Yamcha and Chaozu, Toriyama at least tries making him useful like holding back Cell or saving Gohan from Super Buu.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat May 13, 2017 7:43 pm

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:Ehh, I don't think they can really be called a "dynamic trio" considering all 3 of them were never alive and there during the same fight. Still, I'm glad you're giving Tenshinhan (the 2nd most wasted character in Dragon Ball) and Chaozu a tip of the hat.
I would say he is third behind Yamcha and Chaozu, Toriyama at least tries making him useful like holding back Cell or saving Gohan from Super Buu.
Piccolo's the most wasted character by far. He was so hyped and beautifully developed but everything just went downhill whenever he got the spotlight. Piccolo had so many techniques and abilities created for him that were simply forgotten about and he got relegated to babysitting Goten and Trunks after he was considered "useless" so I feel like he gets the short end of the stick most of all because his chances are wasted so much.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sat May 13, 2017 8:24 pm

floofychan333 wrote:
GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:
Piccolo's the most wasted character by far. He was so hyped and beautifully developed but everything just went downhill whenever he got the spotlight. Piccolo had so many techniques and abilities created for him that were simply forgotten about and he got relegated to babysitting Goten and Trunks after he was considered "useless" so I feel like he gets the short end of the stick most of all because his chances are wasted so much.
Piccolo at least still has a presence through out the series. Sure he hasn't done much after Cell, but his mentor role is worth noting to Trunks and Goten. Tien, Yamcha and Chaozu, you can take out of the later half of the series and it doesn't seem like it would have much of a difference.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 13, 2017 8:45 pm

Tenshinhan has his moments of heroism in the Cell and Buu arcs.
Piccolo had so many techniques and abilities created for him that were simply forgotten about and he got relegated to babysitting Goten and Trunks after he was considered "useless" so I feel like he gets the short end of the stick most of all because his chances are wasted so much.
Piccolo didn't babysit them, he taught them how to fuse.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

YajirobiTheGreat
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YajirobiTheGreat » Mon May 15, 2017 7:33 pm

Tien should have learned the Kaioken, spent his first year back on Earth training in a gravity machine, trained with Goku for three years to prepare for the Androids, and spent two years in the ROSAT during the Cell Arc. IMO he could have surpassed Semi-Perfect Cell by the Cell Games. He could have had a better fight against the Androids, his stalling actions against Cell would make more sense, and he could have had a better fight against the Cell Jr. Even defeated Goku in a practice fight if he (Tien) used the ROSAT before Goku woke up from the heart virus. This would also give him and Chaozu a greater connection to the others if they lived with Goku/Gohan/Piccolo/Chichi and possibly others for three years.

By continuing to train for 7 years he could maybe reach Cell Jr. level. Take part in the 25th Budokai and maybe get a fanservice fight with Yamcha or Krillin or something.

For the current tournament he could have had his potential unlocked and multiplied by the Kaioken.

They have wasted a great character IMO, though I feel that way about every character that isn't Goku/Vegeta.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Mon May 15, 2017 8:24 pm

ABED wrote:Tenshinhan has his moments of heroism in the Cell and Buu arcs.
Piccolo had so many techniques and abilities created for him that were simply forgotten about and he got relegated to babysitting Goten and Trunks after he was considered "useless" so I feel like he gets the short end of the stick most of all because his chances are wasted so much.
Piccolo didn't babysit them, he taught them how to fuse.
That is true, but him having to teach them to fuse still really pisses me off. He's got these two ungrateful kids that are stronger than they can even imagine but are so goddamn showy, stupid, and arrogant that they're incapable of actually doing anything, so Piccolo has to see people waste what he's wanted all his life.

Power Metal
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Power Metal » Tue May 16, 2017 2:22 pm

Doctor. wrote:
precita wrote:Tenshinhan has no connection to the main cast, which is why he is often excluded and probably why Toriyama wrote him out of the Buu saga. All the other characters are connected by families or friends, and Yamcha sticks around by being close with everyone....but Tien has always been distant.

He could have been written out the moment he and Chaozu died during the Saiyan arc and he promised he wouldn't be wished back if Chaozu couldn't be wished back either.
This could've led to a cool reunion in the Otherworld Tournament arc had they stayed dead.

YajirobiTheGreat wrote:Tien should have learned the Kaioken, spent his first year back on Earth training in a gravity machine, trained with Goku for three years to prepare for the Androids, and spent two years in the ROSAT during the Cell Arc. IMO he could have surpassed Semi-Perfect Cell by the Cell Games. He could have had a better fight against the Androids, his stalling actions against Cell would make more sense, and he could have had a better fight against the Cell Jr. Even defeated Goku in a practice fight if he (Tien) used the ROSAT before Goku woke up from the heart virus. This would also give him and Chaozu a greater connection to the others if they lived with Goku/Gohan/Piccolo/Chichi and possibly others for three years.

By continuing to train for 7 years he could maybe reach Cell Jr. level. Take part in the 25th Budokai and maybe get a fanservice fight with Yamcha or Krillin or something.

For the current tournament he could have had his potential unlocked and multiplied by the Kaioken.

They have wasted a great character IMO, though I feel that way about every character that isn't Goku/Vegeta.
Now this is what I would have loved to see done with Tien.
*sigh* wasted opportunities
I do far more lurking than actual posting.

https://www.last.fm/user/AlexPowerMetal

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue May 16, 2017 2:39 pm

Goku and Chaozu's conversations are some of the most heartfelt and affecting in all of Dragon Ball. You can really feel Goku's anger toward Nappa when he realizes his dear friend Chaozu has been killed.

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Tue May 16, 2017 3:13 pm

Tenshinhan and Chaozu -- while being more distant -- do have a connection to the main cast. There is at least the King Piccolo conflict, 23rd Budokai, pre-Saiya-jin training, Kaio training, and Artificial Human/Cell material. I'm glad that Tenshinhan didn't vanish off into total obscurity and reclusiveness after he felt that he had no reason to come together again with "the gang" post-Cell defeat. Things change. While Ten (and by proxy, Chaozu) may be fine with a solitary lifestyle, he understands that everyone will always welcome him back.
Cipher wrote:Goku and Chaozu's conversations are some of the most heartfelt and affecting in all of Dragon Ball. You can really feel Goku's anger toward Nappa when he realizes his dear friend Chaozu has been killed.
Pitiful Chaozu getting killed was the last straw! for Goku. :P

You can really feel the connection when Goku's communicating through Kaio to his buddies in the afterlife.