The manga's ending vs GT's ending

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

The manga's ending vs GT's ending

Post by WittyUsername » Fri May 12, 2017 8:51 pm

I know this subject has been a topic of debate with the fandom in the past, but I don't think there's ever been an entire thread for it on Kanzenshuu, at least not recently. With that in mind, I figured it was worth asking here.

On the one hand, GT's ending was far more conclusive and emotional, but on the other hand, the manga's ending certainly did seem more open ended, in addition to being much less vague.

So which ending do you prefer? Toriyama's ending, or GT's ending?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: The manga's ending vs GT's ending

Post by Robo4900 » Fri May 12, 2017 9:09 pm

GT wins for me.

The original ending was fine, but GT's was actually really good. Perhaps even perfect, in my opinion.

Although I think this has been discussed fairly recently.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Fri May 12, 2017 9:25 pm

GT wasn't always the best it could be, but its ending was magnificent. Especially the montage of Goku's life with Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku playing.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Fri May 12, 2017 9:36 pm

This isn't even a debate imo. GT all the way to the end. It's just the right length, you can feel the finality of it, the music is beautiful, the visuals are outstanding, and the emotional impact is where it really hits. Absolutely beautiful.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Fri May 12, 2017 10:21 pm

While the ending of Z is nice, it always felt a little off, but with GT's ending, despite being a mix bag, the ending felt like everything tied together. I also got a little emotional and I still do when i watch it.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri May 12, 2017 10:26 pm

I don't see the comparison. The ending of the comic is the ending for Toriyama's journey. The ending of Dragon Ball GT is the ending of the journey for the production crew that spent all those years working on the cartoons. Dragon Ball GT as a whole makes more references and callbacks to the various anime-only stories and characters than it does to the comic in general. I think it's a very fitting end for the cartoon franchise. The comic's ending is good for the comic.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri May 12, 2017 10:31 pm

I'm not exactly a fan of either, but I'll probably go with GT.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri May 12, 2017 10:32 pm

I like both types of endings but I don't like what we got. I don't like endings that skip 100 years with everyone dead and I don't like Goku leaving his family like he did cause he could've just used instant transmition to come back and forth instead of leaving for good.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri May 12, 2017 10:56 pm

I used to would've gone for GT, but honestly, I don't like either all that much. The ending of the manga didn't feel like an ending at all, but rather, a bridge between the Boo Arc and something else. While I fully appreciate the thought behind it, there's something to be said for what an underwhelming way that was to close the book.

Funnily enough, my opinion of the Z anime's ending is totally different. I feel that it drove home the point far better than Toriyama himself could, it felt like the end of a long, fun, marvelous adventure. I think there are several reasons I feel that way; That corny episode where Goku ditches the gang's party to protect the Dinosaur eggs was crucial, I think. Not only did it create a necessary buffer between the conclusion of the Boo Arc and the ending of the series, but it spoke wonderfully to Goku's character, and gave a heartwarming flashback to the time Goku spent with his grandfather. Afterwards, Goku finally makes it to the party, and everyone just has a good time. There's also the last 3 closing episodes themselves, which provides some bonding time with Pan, and also allows us to better understand where the characters are now, despite the fact that not much is explicitly said about them.

As for GT's ending, I think it's a great finale for some other show. More specifically, the mystery behind whether or not Goku is alive or dead or omnipotent, or whatever, it didn't have any precedent. It just kinda happens, and it's a cool, touching send-off, but what does that even mean when it's so at odds with the tone of everything that preceded it. I don't know how you end the tail of Son Goku (applaud), but that's not it. As for the Goku and Vegeta Junior portion, I feel it was the worst of all. Closing out the series with characters from a TV Special that no one has any attachment to... just because they're descended from the main characters? No, no, no, and NO! I actually like most of GT, but that ending is not something I could ever get behind, it's embarrassingly superficial.

TL;DR: I choose the ending where Oob and Goku fly off to train, but specifically the Z anime's version of that ending. If it has to be between the manga and GT, I choose GT, since it actually has an ending.
Retired.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sat May 13, 2017 3:39 am

I feel as if GT's ending is trying to impact more in an emotional way at the cost of making next to no sense and felt as if the ending was written for another series just due to how much it doesn't fit the theme of the show nor the characterization of Goku. Like, why is it a mystery to all where Goku ends up? The worst thing that can happen in the series is that you die, and if he's going with Shenron to guard the earth or whatever, why is that even necessary in the first place? Why not just protect earth and still be around your family and friends you could possibly train with?

It's a mystery just for the sake of being a mystery. It plays really well on the emotions of the fans of the series, but in the end it doesn't add up.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sat May 13, 2017 3:54 am

When I think about it, there really isn't all that much to the ending of GT. It's just 100 years later, and it's the still Goku and vegeta fighting. Just the smaller versions.The montage of past events is what makes it so memorable to people, I feel. I did like the whole Goku going off with shenron and saying his goodbyes though.

The manga ending might not have too much either, but it does have the relationship with Pan and Goku, shows us our heros one last time, then Goku goes off with his pupil with the possibility of future adventures that we don't have to see. I choose this one. Some complain that they don't like that Goku kinda ditched his family, but I was never surprised by this. That's just who Goku is. Taking the more exciting road, sometimes to the dismay of his loved ones.

Though if I'm being honest I'm choosing the Manga ending based mostly on the Anime adaption, as weird as that might be. So take that for what you will.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat May 13, 2017 10:51 am

In general, I prefer Dragon Ball Online's ending. It's even more impactful, meaningful and epic than Dragon Ball GT's ending. But if I have to choose between Dragon Ball Z's or Dragon Ball GT's... I'd pick GT's ending.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 13, 2017 10:57 am

Kokonoe wrote:I feel as if GT's ending is trying to impact more in an emotional way at the cost of making next to no sense and felt as if the ending was written for another series just due to how much it doesn't fit the theme of the show nor the characterization of Goku. Like, why is it a mystery to all where Goku ends up? The worst thing that can happen in the series is that you die, and if he's going with Shenron to guard the earth or whatever, why is that even necessary in the first place? Why not just protect earth and still be around your family and friends you could possibly train with?

It's a mystery just for the sake of being a mystery. It plays really well on the emotions of the fans of the series, but in the end it doesn't add up.
Goku makes a deal with Shen Long. He has no option to stay on Earth. I don't see the mystery you are referring to nor do I know what theme you are referring to.

I prefer the finality to GT's ending. I don't think it's out of character for Goku to leave like he did in either GT or Z, but I prefer GT because it keeps it about Goku and the characters we know instead of introducing a new character at the last minute and expect us to care. It implies Goku won't be back for a while, but he can teleport.
it's so at odds with the tone of everything that preceded it.
It might not fit DB's tone, but it does fit GT's tone which comes across as more melancholy than DB's.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sat May 13, 2017 12:13 pm

GT's ending is insanely over-rated, it cheats out and goes for a hit of nostalgia, the way he visits Kuririn and Yamcha and shit, but it's fake as hell and didn't earn that shit at all! GT never gave any non Goku characters any significant screen time or development and then suddenly pretends to give a shit just to go for a forced sad/nostalgic ending it only pulled off because of the hard earned good will the superior DB and DBZ worked for.

It feels like if I wrote the last chapter to game of thrones shittily and then took credit for the whole thing. Horrible.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 13, 2017 12:19 pm

TobyS wrote:GT's ending is insanely over-rated, it cheats out and goes for a hit of nostalgia, the way he visits Kuririn and Yamcha and shit, but it's fake as hell and didn't earn that shit at all! GT never gave any non Goku characters any significant screen time or development and then suddenly pretends to give a shit just to go for a forced sad/nostalgic ending it only pulled off because of the hard earned good will the superior DB and DBZ worked for.

It feels like if I wrote the last chapter to game of thrones shittily and then took credit for the whole thing. Horrible.
If ever there's a time to get nostalgic, it's the very end of a story. Your issue just feels bizarre to me. At no point was GT taking any credit and at least some of the people working on GT did work on DB. You can't make that claim about GOT.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sat May 13, 2017 12:27 pm

ABED wrote:
TobyS wrote:GT's ending is insanely over-rated, it cheats out and goes for a hit of nostalgia, the way he visits Kuririn and Yamcha and shit, but it's fake as hell and didn't earn that shit at all! GT never gave any non Goku characters any significant screen time or development and then suddenly pretends to give a shit just to go for a forced sad/nostalgic ending it only pulled off because of the hard earned good will the superior DB and DBZ worked for.

If ever there's a time to get nostalgic, it's the very end of a story. Your issue just feels bizarre to me. At no point was GT taking any credit and at least some of the people working on GT did work on DB. You can't make that claim about GOT.
It tries to bring back characters and elements it's completely ignored for 50 episodes just to trick you into feeling some nostalgia, GT never felt like and authentic continuation to me, not just because of it's crap stories and writing, but even visually it felt like an entirely different and dreary thing. It felt insincere and thus, for me didn't stick it's attempted landing.

GT feels like bad fanfaction, super feels like a real continuation, even though it's been in some ways a very bad continuation it "feels like dragonball", even if it's "bad dragonball"
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 13, 2017 12:30 pm

It tries to bring back characters and elements it's completely ignored for 50 episodes just to trick you into feeling some nostalgia, GT never felt like and authentic continuation to me, not just because of it's crap stories and writing, but even visually it felt like an entirely different and dreary thing. It felt insincere and thus, for me didn't stick it's attempted landing.
Kuririn was in GT. He was killed off in the prior arc and plenty of great endings bring back old characters that the audience hasn't seen in a while. There's no trick. Okay, it didn't stick the landing for you, that's fine, but even if they brought back Ha-chan and Suno for a few seconds, that's not a trick anymore than showing Lunch when Goku was creating the Genki Dama to kill Kid Buu.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat May 13, 2017 1:07 pm

I personally prefer the ending of GT because it just felt so emotional. But I've always liked "And the adventure continues..." nature of the manga. It's always kept the story wide open for many more kinds of adventures.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat May 13, 2017 5:00 pm

ABED wrote:I prefer GT because it keeps it about Goku and the characters we know instead of introducing a new character at the last minute and expect us to care.
It literally does exactly that. The very last scene of the show is of the next gen characters (and Goku) watching the even later gen Goku and Vegeta clones fight.
Retired.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 13, 2017 6:38 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
ABED wrote:I prefer GT because it keeps it about Goku and the characters we know instead of introducing a new character at the last minute and expect us to care.
It literally does exactly that. The very last scene of the show is of the next gen characters (and Goku) watching the even later gen Goku and Vegeta clones fight.
Not at all. It wasn't about them, it was still about Goku. Goku leaves to train with Uub and we're expected to care about the outcome. Goku's leaving everyone to train this kid for not only a good fight but to take over his spot. Vegeta Jr. and Goku Jr.'s battle is just a nice coda. It's not about the outcome of their fight.