Favorite Filler Moments

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Re: Favorite Filler Moments

Post by precita » Fri May 19, 2017 5:40 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
precita wrote:It's too bad Kai made most people think filler episodes or scenes are garbage. Granted there has always been a negative stigma toward filler, but everytime I marathon through the anime I realize how much I like the filler scenes and some episodes. Of course there is horrid filler too (Fake Namek comes to mind), but I do like most of the others.
I don't think Kai made anyone dislike the filler, it just gave them a catalyst to actively disavow it. I was young, so I don't remember a whole lot from the pre-Kai era, but I do remember that everyone complained about it back then, too.
Well besides the obvious complaints of Goku/Freeza going on too damn long, there were always complaints that fillers are a, "waste of time" even if the actual episode is good. I never understood that. A good episode is a good episode, I don't care if it's not in the manga. If you like the Dragonball franchise in general there's no reason you shouldn't want to see "new or extra scenes" of your favorite characters doing things that are not in the manga.

I mean otherwise you might as well just not watch the anime at all and just read the manga.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Mon May 22, 2017 7:17 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
precita wrote:It's too bad Kai made most people think filler episodes or scenes are garbage. Granted there has always been a negative stigma toward filler, but everytime I marathon through the anime I realize how much I like the filler scenes and some episodes. Of course there is horrid filler too (Fake Namek comes to mind), but I do like most of the others.
I don't think Kai made anyone dislike the filler, it just gave them a catalyst to actively disavow it. I was young, so I don't remember a whole lot from the pre-Kai era, but I do remember that everyone complained about it back then, too.
Kai kept numerous fillers scenes and stories if only to keep its recut relatively well paced for each episode like the Z-fighters going after Cell to help Gohan however little and even let Krillin get into a tiff with Perfect Cell to save some girl and her brother. The Final Chapters let the Great Saiyaman have more time in the limelight too.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Mon May 22, 2017 7:35 am

Tbh I really prefer the way Super does filler (putting mini arcs that have no real effect on the story in between major arcs) as opposed to the way Z did filler,(besides the garlic jr and otherworld tournament arcs), which was needlessly dragging things out.

Anyway favorite filler from Z was the car episode, favorite filler from super was the baseball episode/Hit 2 parter.

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Mon May 22, 2017 10:04 am

Kinkaku, Ginkaku, Kinkaku! Kinkaku, Ginkaku, Ginkaku, Kinkaku, Kinkaku, Kinkaku, Ginkaku, Ginkaku, Kinkaku!

I don't remember, which is my favorite, but this came to my mind when I had read the topic title :D

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon May 22, 2017 1:43 pm

Kojiro Sasaki wrote:Kinkaku, Ginkaku, Kinkaku! Kinkaku, Ginkaku, Ginkaku, Kinkaku, Kinkaku, Kinkaku, Ginkaku, Ginkaku, Kinkaku!

I don't remember, which is my favorite, but this came to my mind when I had read the topic title :D
"It smells like pee in here!"
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

PelicanDynasty
Beyond Newbie

Post by PelicanDynasty » Tue May 23, 2017 12:45 am

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Goku and Popo training for the 23rd Tourney.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:07 am

Cipher wrote:Tao Pai Pai's day around town, when he hardboils an egg in his bathwater.
I also loved how an assassin tries to off him but he uses his shoe in order to counter it.

I dunno if this counts but The History of Trunks basically took the "Trunks The Story" bonus chapter and added in a whole bunch of material that the original glossed over at best.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:54 am

I have mixed feelings about most of the filler. I always like the idea, if not the execution, of the filler that expands on existing stories and fills in gaps, rather than dragging things out. Threading the Pilaf gang through the first arc, Goku's solo training while travelling the world, the heavenly training, Gohan's survival, the Otherworld tournament, the Great Saiyaman arc.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:57 am

The only one that stands out to me is when Korin disables the Black Nimbus Cloud and causes Tao to fly helplessly towards the ground and land like a fool. So hilarious!

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:58 am

I'm still holding out for the "Yamcha saves the world while everyone's at the Tournament of Power filler"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:41 pm

TheBigBoy wrote:I'm still holding out for the "Yamcha saves the world while everyone's at the Tournament of Power filler"
In other words, it would be like the Buffy episode "The Zeppo" or the JLU episode "The Greatest Story Never Told".
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:19 am

The Arale episode in Super. Bodyguard Vegeta in a suit is the true Legendary Saiyan.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:40 am

As much as I generally prefer Kai over original Z, I am a little bummed at some of the stuff that didn't make the cut for "acceptable filler" vs what did. I mean come on, they skipped the driving episode but kept Ginyu-Bulma? I am okay with them keeping Krillin vs Imperfect Cell and Z-Fighters helping out Gohan in the Kamehameha beam struggle, those were good.

Buu Kai was even worse, they didn't include the Otherworld Tournament (which was sweet), but they did include all the stuff from it when Kid Buu was rampaging.

If we're counting slice-of-life Super episodes as filler, I've got to give it to the Great Saiyaman two-parter, but I also think the episode where everyone is trying to get a wish from Shenron is very underrated.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:49 am

Kataphrut wrote:I mean come on, they skipped the driving episode but kept Ginyu-Bulma?
Well, as far as Ginyu and Bulma goes, I personally prefer it when the Anime gave her something to do rather than ignore her until convenient like in the Manga. Mind you, I find it weird that they didn't cut it out when it wasn't an outright rewrite like how the Great Saiyaman Saga was extended.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:59 am

The driving episode is overrated, and I think the reason they kept Ginyu-frog/Bulma is because they couldn't cut it out as easily as other filler.
I personally prefer it when the Anime gave her something to do rather than ignore her until convenient like in the Manga.
I'd rather they ignore her instead of giving her something uninteresting just to give her something.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:08 am

ABED wrote:The driving episode is overrated, and I think the reason they kept Ginyu-frog/Bulma is because they couldn't cut it out as easily as other filler.
I personally prefer it when the Anime gave her something to do rather than ignore her until convenient like in the Manga.
I'd rather they ignore her instead of giving her something uninteresting just to give her something.
Cerain fan edits of Kai that try to cut out all filler everywhere have actually said axing Ginyu Bulma was really easy. A couple more easy one's to cut would've been Gohan fighting 50% Freeza and Vegeta seeing SS Goku on Namek.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:14 am

There's the issue of pacing and episode length. How you end an episode is important and I've seen some of these fan edits that do little more than just cut out filler, but have little regard to actual pacing.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:00 am

ABED wrote:There's the issue of pacing and episode length. How you end an episode is important and I've seen some of these fan edits that do little more than just cut out filler, but have little regard to actual pacing.
They do miss the forest for the trees when done badly but I imagine a set of professionals who are going over the whole series and are already doing a pretty good job of hacking filler away could tiddy it up more with instances that are easy to excise. Ginyu Bulma is one such example, it isn't like Gregory where it actually is impossible to remove him since he's in so many places on King Kai's planet.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:38 pm

I also liked the filler with Pilaf's gang and Yamcha, Tenshinhan and Chiaotzu's fight against the Ginyu Force.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:32 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:A couple more easy one's to cut would've been Gohan fighting 50% Freeza and Vegeta seeing SS Goku on Namek.
The first seems questionable because when Porunga transports everyone to Earth, Gohan would be flying around Namek for no reason with that filler removed. As for Vegeta seeing SS Goku, I always thought it was a nice moment, a rare moment of bonding between the two (or as much as two Saiyan rivals can have such a thing). Plus Vegeta gets an idea of what to shoot for in the gap between Namek and the Androids. And Vegeta gets to spit in Frieza's face!