Favorite Filler Moments

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Favorite Filler Moments

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:41 pm

KBABZ wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:A couple more easy one's to cut would've been Gohan fighting 50% Freeza and Vegeta seeing SS Goku on Namek.
The first seems questionable because when Porunga transports everyone to Earth, Gohan would be flying around Namek for no reason with that filler removed. As for Vegeta seeing SS Goku, I always thought it was a nice moment, a rare moment of bonding between the two (or as much as two Saiyan rivals can have such a thing). Plus Vegeta gets an idea of what to shoot for in the gap between Namek and the Androids. And Vegeta gets to spit in Frieza's face!
Gohan gets transported off Namek when he's flying Bulma to the ship in the manga, they could've easily cut out Gohan (who has little to no juice left) going to fight Freeza and simply have him get zapped back home then.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:55 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:A couple more easy one's to cut would've been Gohan fighting 50% Freeza and Vegeta seeing SS Goku on Namek.
The first seems questionable because when Porunga transports everyone to Earth, Gohan would be flying around Namek for no reason with that filler removed. As for Vegeta seeing SS Goku, I always thought it was a nice moment, a rare moment of bonding between the two (or as much as two Saiyan rivals can have such a thing). Plus Vegeta gets an idea of what to shoot for in the gap between Namek and the Androids. And Vegeta gets to spit in Frieza's face!
Gohan gets transported off Namek when he's flying Bulma to the ship in the manga, they could've easily cut out Gohan (who has little to no juice left) going to fight Freeza and simply have him get zapped back home then.
Another alternative would be to redraw the original shot and add in Bulma!

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:07 pm

I love the episode where Gohan befriends the robot stuck in the cave during the Saiyan saga. I think that's a great example of a good filler episode. Too bad there's not many of them!

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:06 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Honestly, I loved the moment of Gohan going out to face Freeza and keeping him on the planet so it takes him in the explosion.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:22 pm

matt0044 wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
KBABZ wrote: The first seems questionable because when Porunga transports everyone to Earth, Gohan would be flying around Namek for no reason with that filler removed. As for Vegeta seeing SS Goku, I always thought it was a nice moment, a rare moment of bonding between the two (or as much as two Saiyan rivals can have such a thing). Plus Vegeta gets an idea of what to shoot for in the gap between Namek and the Androids. And Vegeta gets to spit in Frieza's face!
Honestly, I loved the moment of Gohan going out to face Freeza and keeping him on the planet so it takes him in the explosion.
Yeah, it doesn't really detract from the story as much as something like Bulma and the Crabs, and there are far worse examples of stalling a fight than the Gohan example. The only part that doesn't make sense (at least in the Kai version since that's what I'm familiar with) is why Goku's Power Level is dropping in the first place, but Power Levels are fucked in DBZ so you don't really notice.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:37 am

Not sure if it counts as filler but the moment Piccolo, Krillin, Tien and Yamcha jumped in to help Gohan fighting Cell. They each gave great reasons why they help. It was truly touching.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:36 pm

One of those moments that was better than the manga presentation and one of my favorites too.

Do we know which fillers had direct input from Toryama other than Yamcha being a professional Baseball player?
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:28 pm

Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:40 pm

Olympian wrote:One of those moments that was better than the manga presentation and one of my favorites too.

Do we know which fillers had direct input from Toryama other than Yamcha being a professional Baseball player?
The main site has you covered! The short list (which is likely spotty in some places, read the article for the straight story) is:

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:41 pm

My favorite one is when yamcha was playing baseball,is a really fun scene and I'm glad modern DB acknowledge it.The z fighter in the beam struggle with cell was also a nice touch
Mostly active on discord.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:24 am

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:Not sure if it counts as filler but the moment Piccolo, Krillin, Tien and Yamcha jumped in to help Gohan fighting Cell. They each gave great reasons why they help. It was truly touching.
It IS filler. It never happened in the manga. A better improvement if you ask me.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:08 pm

I love all the fillers of the Cell arc finale. Not because if power scalling because I don`t care about it but because it was true to the root of the characters. The heart and teamwork were true to the root of them in what was supposed to be the actual send-off at the time.

But what do I know, I`m not Toryama.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:05 am

Gokū's adventure in Original Dragon Ball like Kinkaku-Ginkaku, Training with Mr.Popo and Master Mutaito and Side character's training as well.

In Dragon Ball Z, all Saiyan Arc fillers,I liked Maron fillers too, Gokū driving licence Episode,Trunks vs Cell Fight, all the fillers in Cell games part. Otherworld Tournament fillers, Early Boo Arc fillers, Gokū going ssj3 near Goten and Trunks, Bootenks vs Gohan fight.

In Dragon Ball Super, the Pan filler, Arale Filler, Baseball Filler and Gohan Filler.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:35 pm

I like all of the filler from the Saiyajin arc, sans Piccolo and Kuririn's tri-form against Nappa. The Space Orphans two-parter was good because I think that it was the first time that Freeza was name-dropped, and added a little backstory. All of the stuff in the earlier part of the Namek arc involving Piccolo, Ten, Yamucha, and Chaozu on Kaio's world (not the later Ginyu Special Corps). The dramatic showdown between Tenshinhan's pun VS Kaio was some intense stuff - Kaio didn't know what he was up against.

So much good filler. Way toward the end of Z, I liked Goku and Vegeta trying to attack "Boohan" just before the Fusion.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:46 am

Super_Divine_Genki wrote: The Space Orphans two-parter was good because I think that it was the first time that Freeza was name-dropped, and added a little backstory. All of the stuff in the earlier part of the Namek arc involving Piccolo, Ten, Yamucha, and Chaozu on Kaio's world (not the later Ginyu Special Corps). The dramatic showdown between Tenshinhan's pun VS Kaio was some intense stuff - Kaio didn't know what he was up against.

So much good filler. Way toward the end of Z.
I liked those fillers too.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30