Favorite Filler Moments

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Re: Favorite Filler Moments

Post by matt0044 » Sat May 13, 2017 7:11 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:- Gohan's training and survival prior to the Saiyan's arrival: This is arguably my favorite filler in all of Dragon Ball. The way that Gohan's character was developed and evolved was fantastic. You really saw how the trials and tribulations transformed Gohan from a scared little boy into a child solider. I became a fan of the character because of those filler episodes. They were that well done. I have to specifically give a special shout out to the episode with Gohan and the orphans.
I always found it odd that Toriyama didn't write in filler himself during the time skip since, well, it'd give him a chance to take a break from the linear story arc with more episodic adventures.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 13, 2017 7:21 pm

matt0044 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:- Gohan's training and survival prior to the Saiyan's arrival: This is arguably my favorite filler in all of Dragon Ball. The way that Gohan's character was developed and evolved was fantastic. You really saw how the trials and tribulations transformed Gohan from a scared little boy into a child solider. I became a fan of the character because of those filler episodes. They were that well done. I have to specifically give a special shout out to the episode with Gohan and the orphans.
I always found it odd that Toriyama didn't write in filler himself during the time skip since, well, it'd give him a chance to take a break from the linear story arc with more episodic adventures.
If Toriyama had written it, I wouldn't call it filler because I do think it furthered Gohan's story. His journey in the manga is bare bones.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat May 13, 2017 7:26 pm

ABED wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
ABED wrote:It doesn't slow it to a crawl.
Compared to other parts of Z, maybe not. Compared to how the scene is actually supposed to play out, the anime's version is painful. Totally out of place.
It's not out of place at all. It helps the emotion of the scene immensely instead of it just being a mechanical struggle of power against power. The manga's version is far too quick. The struggle doesn't feel nearly as dramatic or intense.
We'll just have to agree to disagree then. I'd agree that the manga is a bit too breakneck, but I don't think the final struggle deserved a second more than half an episode.
Retired.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 13, 2017 7:31 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
ABED wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Compared to other parts of Z, maybe not. Compared to how the scene is actually supposed to play out, the anime's version is painful. Totally out of place.
It's not out of place at all. It helps the emotion of the scene immensely instead of it just being a mechanical struggle of power against power. The manga's version is far too quick. The struggle doesn't feel nearly as dramatic or intense.
We'll just have to agree to disagree then. I'd agree that the manga is a bit too breakneck, but I don't think the final struggle deserved a second more than half an episode.
Maybe not, but there are things to cut out beyond the moment you are pointing to. It is a great moment of reflection for those characters and add so much to what is just another beam clash.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat May 13, 2017 7:38 pm

I liked Goku and Piccolo's driving lesson, the Other World tournament, and any Pilaf Gang stuff.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 13, 2017 7:40 pm

The Pilaf Gang stuff, especially in the first 13 episodes. In the Manga, they are simply the final enemy, but threading them through the entire arc works better. Plus, they are so darn entertaining.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat May 13, 2017 7:50 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
ABED wrote:It doesn't slow it to a crawl.
Compared to other parts of Z, maybe not. Compared to how the scene is actually supposed to play out, the anime's version is painful. Totally out of place.
I honestly prefer the anime version to the manga.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sat May 13, 2017 7:57 pm

There are a lot of great filler moments in the series. Some of the best are:

- Tao Pai Pai filler
- The 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai filler
- Training with Popo filler
- Saiyan arc Gohan training filler
- Pre-Cell Games filler
- Great Saiyaman filler
- End of Z filler

There's probably more that I missed, but those are the filler episodes that I think are the best.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Sat May 13, 2017 9:57 pm

I think MistereFusion put it best that Goku just getting the power up drink before facing Piccolo was cheap and the Anime took advantage of the need for filler by adding in an other worldly journey to the juice.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sat May 13, 2017 10:24 pm

matt0044 wrote:I think MistereFusion put it best that Goku just getting the power up drink before facing Piccolo was cheap and the Anime took advantage of the need for filler by adding in an other worldly journey to the juice.
Yeah, in the manag always feels off but the anime makes it feel so right. Gives Goku a challenge to earn the power up.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat May 13, 2017 11:15 pm

I also love Krillin trying to fight Kid Buu a bit in Otherworld. It just seemed right after Krillin could do nothing against Super Buu.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Sun May 14, 2017 9:30 am

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:
matt0044 wrote:I think MistereFusion put it best that Goku just getting the power up drink before facing Piccolo was cheap and the Anime took advantage of the need for filler by adding in an other worldly journey to the juice.
Yeah, in the manag always feels off but the anime makes it feel so right. Gives Goku a challenge to earn the power up.
There's also Tenshinhan at least attempting the Mafuba only to fail rather than abandoning the rice cooker entirely.

Big Green The Yoshi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Green The Yoshi » Fri May 19, 2017 11:11 am

The driving episode takes this by storm. It reflects how Goku and Piccolo can't function in everyday life in spite of being two of the Universe's most powerful fighters.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri May 19, 2017 11:34 am

I've always thought the driving episode was more of a pseudo-meme than anyone's actual favorite. It was cute, but such a nothing episode otherwise for me. Interesting that there are people who do count it among their favorites.
Retired.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:02 pm

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:
I like the concept of the journey, but after watching the series a few times, that filler is boring to me so I usually skip it.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri May 19, 2017 1:14 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:
I like the concept of the journey, but after watching the series a few times, that filler is boring to me so I usually skip it.
That part fills two episodes. Just skip the first, but the second is really good.

I'll say it, I don't like the driving episode. It's somewhat amusing, but it's hardly laugh out loud funny to me.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri May 19, 2017 1:18 pm

ABED wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:
That part fills two episodes. Just skip the first, but the second is really good.

I'll say it, I don't like the driving episode. It's somewhat amusing, but it's hardly laugh out loud funny to me.
Yeah I skip the first one mainly.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri May 19, 2017 1:55 pm

I was a big fan of the Red Ribbon Army filler. The expanded Colonel Silver stuff, and basically everything involving Violet was great.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri May 19, 2017 2:15 pm

It's too bad Kai made most people think filler episodes or scenes are garbage. Granted there has always been a negative stigma toward filler, but everytime I marathon through the anime I realize how much I like the filler scenes and some episodes. Of course there is horrid filler too (Fake Namek comes to mind), but I do like most of the others.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri May 19, 2017 4:28 pm

precita wrote:It's too bad Kai made most people think filler episodes or scenes are garbage. Granted there has always been a negative stigma toward filler, but everytime I marathon through the anime I realize how much I like the filler scenes and some episodes. Of course there is horrid filler too (Fake Namek comes to mind), but I do like most of the others.
I don't think Kai made anyone dislike the filler, it just gave them a catalyst to actively disavow it. I was young, so I don't remember a whole lot from the pre-Kai era, but I do remember that everyone complained about it back then, too.
Retired.