Do you see them giving the original DB the Kai treatment?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Do you see them giving the original DB the Kai treatment?

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat May 20, 2017 2:47 pm

ABED wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:Kid Goku isn't Kid Goku without Stephanie Nadolny. That's a problem with redubbing Dragon Ball. Additionally, the English dub was quite a bit better than the dub for DBZ and I wouldn't want to see any of the original reanimated because the old art style and colours are just so beautiful and I don't want them to be screwed with.
Her Goku is insufferable. Clinkenbeard was a step up. The dub was a bit better but still not a great dub. It took plenty of liberties.
Colleen was much more insufferable as Goku to me. Nadolny had her bad moments but imho really captured Kid Goku,

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 20, 2017 4:33 pm

No she didn't. Her weird unnatural cadence and Goofy/woody woodpecker delivery and laugh were not Goku. It's "look at how wild and silly Goku is". What does Colleen do that you detractors hate so much?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat May 20, 2017 4:35 pm

ABED wrote:No she didn't. Her weird unnatural cadence and Goofy/woody woodpecker delivery and laugh were not Goku. It's "look at how wild and silly Goku is". What does Colleen do that you detractors hate so much?
Most detractors just don't like her pitch. That's really the only thing that she's got against her in terms of popularity.
Retired.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat May 20, 2017 4:39 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
ABED wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:Kid Goku isn't Kid Goku without Stephanie Nadolny. That's a problem with redubbing Dragon Ball. Additionally, the English dub was quite a bit better than the dub for DBZ and I wouldn't want to see any of the original reanimated because the old art style and colours are just so beautiful and I don't want them to be screwed with.
Her Goku is insufferable. Clinkenbeard was a step up. The dub was a bit better but still not a great dub. It took plenty of liberties.
Colleen was much more insufferable as Goku to me. Nadolny had her bad moments but imho really captured Kid Goku,
I was attached to Nadolny's Goku the second I heard it. Sure, it's somewhat different from Nozawa's, but it definitely captures the character's silliness and passion simultaneously.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 20, 2017 4:49 pm

I don't think it captures Goku at all. It is the most over the top and unnatural performance. It's not a good enough performance to capture Goku's essence. Nozawa can go broad and she can convey subtle and cute. Nadolny's performance does none of those things.

DB isn't as much in need of the Kai treatment and a number of episodes can be skipped altogether. In DBZ, the filler is mixed in with the canon material.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon May 22, 2017 7:16 pm

I think Colleen would do a good job as Goku, and that even the detractors would get used to her voice eventually. But, even if Chris Sabat and the gang decided against casting her in the role again in this hypothetical, they could always choose someone else; there are many talented ladies in Funimation's talent pool, so even if Colleen turns out to not be right for the part on a long-term basis, I'm sure there's someone else who can fill the role.
Although honestly, given the fact Colleen has already voiced Goku in Kai, and Curse Of The Blood Rubies, I'm certain she would pick up the mantle once again if Funimation did a modern dub of the original series.

I think Dragon Ball getting a Kai-like recut or whatever is highly unlikely, and won't happen. However, if there's any chance at all that Funimation would do a complete redub of the original series, I'm all for it. The existing dub is serviceable -- probably the best of the original three series' dubs, in fact -- and for dub viewing, it serves as a perfectly fine precursor to Kai. But it's heavily censored, full of poorly-acted moments, the removal of the insert songs is terribly-handled, and honestly, I've always found Sabat's work as Piccolo Daimao rather underwhelming.

A redub of the original series would probably bring in a load of buzz, and having it as the second of the original series to have a faithful dub would be wonderful. Plus, the three currently "Canon" series would all have modern dubbing, which would be an ideal scenario.
But, it's not happening. This is a big shame, but it's true, unfortunately. And as unlikely as a redub of the original version of the series is, the full Kai treatment is even less likely.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Mon May 22, 2017 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon May 22, 2017 8:34 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
I think Dragon Ball getting a Kai-like recut or whatever is highly unlikely, and won't happen. However, if there's any chance at all that Funimation would do a complete redub of the original series, I'm all for it. The existing dub is serviceable -- probably the best of the original three series' dubs, in fact -- and for dub viewing, it serves as a perfectly fine precursor to Kai. But it's heavily censored, full of poorly-acted moments, the removal of the insert songs is terribly-handled, and honestly, I've always found Sabat's work as Piccolo Daimao rather underwhelming.
I wouldn't say heavily censored. The worst they did was reword a few of the naughty scenes that didn't have enough obvious visual cues. Since the dub is visually uncut, they pretty much ran with it for all the obvious scenes.

Regarding the topic, I think a DB Kai would be cool, but it'll never happen. DBZ Kai continued due to international success, but DB was never as popular as Z outside Japan, or even in Japan for that matter. A redub of DB will definitely never happen. If Kai did happen, Colleen would definitely be Goku. I don't see why anyone would think otherwise. Cast would stay as expected for most characters, maybe even the Red Ribbon guys, accents and everything.

Oh, and Sumitomo would do the music, so that argument made earlier about the insert songs in the dub would be completely moot.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue May 23, 2017 3:04 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:I wouldn't say heavily censored. The worst they did was reword a few of the naughty scenes that didn't have enough obvious visual cues. Since the dub is visually uncut, they pretty much ran with it for all the obvious scenes.
It's a lot worse than you make it out to be.
For example, in episode 2, they completely rewrote Bulma and Goku's conversation when he walks in on her in the bathroom, aswell as one later conversation in that same episode(In the subs, Goku remarks that it's weird she has a butt on her front, and the thing that causes Bulma to throw stuff at him until he leaves is the revelation that Goku is actually 14. In the dub, Bulma beats about the bush on why Goku should leave, and Bulma starts throwing stuff when Goku points out she doesn't have a tail; later in that episode, they have a conversation which, in the dub, is about how Goku should be used to roughing it in the woods, but in the subs Bulma's saying that Goku's 14, so he should sleep on the sofa or something. Once again, they change a line to be about her lack of a tail -- Goku says he often used to sleep on his grandpa's lap, and Bulma says there's no way he's sleeping on her lap; in the dub, Goku says "I don't mind [sleeping on the floor], but I hope it's not because you're still mad about not having a tail.", which is what Bulma objects to).
That's just one episode. The dub is full of stuff like this. If this was a TV dub like the Blue Water or BLT Ocean dubs, it'd be understandable, but this is supposedly an uncut dub.

And again, the dub is serviceable, and infinitely superior to the "Uncut" dubs of Z or GT, but it's a pretty poor job compared to Kai.
Valerius Dover wrote:Regarding the topic, I think a DB Kai would be cool, but it'll never happen. DBZ Kai continued due to international success, but DB was never as popular as Z outside Japan, or even in Japan for that matter. A redub of DB will definitely never happen. If Kai did happen, Colleen would definitely be Goku. I don't see why anyone would think otherwise. Cast would stay as expected for most characters, maybe even the Red Ribbon guys, accents and everything.
Actually, the only reason the original series is so unpopular in the west is because they never dubbed DB until Z was over. In parts of the world where they aired DB first, which includes Japan, DB is only a little less popular.
Valerius Dover wrote:Oh, and Sumitomo would do the music, so that argument made earlier about the insert songs in the dub would be completely moot.
You seem to not understand the concept of insert songs. Please read up on a subject before taking a stance on it.
To put it in brief: During Dragon Ball, Z, some of the movies, and Kai(Also kind of GT, in the ending montage in the finalé), the guys handling the music scores would occasionally drop an insert song in, such as Battle Point Unlimited (Funnily enough, composed by Kenji Yamamoto) when Trunks shows up in original Z, or Mezase Tenka'ichi during the Goku vs Jackie Chun fight in Dragon Ball. Both stand out as rather unique moments, musically speaking, as you'd expect just another cool Kikuchi track to play during that point, but then an insert song comes out of no-where, and sounds especially cool.
Unfortunately, despite the Dragon Ball dub using the original Japanese score most of the time, all the insert songs were blanked out with total silence, which was often covered with extra dialogue. This isn't the case in Kai, so if a Kai-like redub of Dragon Ball was done, presumably they'd actually use the insert songs, perhaps with translated lyrics and in-house Funimation singers like Vic Mignogna singing.
Here's a full list of insert songs in the Dragon Ball franchise, although I don't think it's been updated since Kai 1.0 finished airing.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue May 23, 2017 3:41 pm

^Well, yeah, I knew about those changed conversations, but that kind of rewriting is everywhere in the dub, even when it comes to non risque stuff, so it's nothing unusual.

I definitely understand insert songs, and I know where they all play, too, just by memory. But Kai doesn't reuse any insert songs from Z. So, the Red Ribbon song wouldn't be heard without narration in any potential Kai version (they'd probably cut that montage altogether). And to my knowledge, it doesn't seem like they've used insert songs since the Cell arc of Kai, unless you count the movies.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue May 23, 2017 4:07 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:^Well, yeah, I knew about those changed conversations, but that kind of rewriting is everywhere in the dub, even when it comes to non risque stuff, so it's nothing unusual.
Right. The problem is, that's not exactly a defence; it just means the censorship is a side-effect of a larger problem.
Valerius Dover wrote:I definitely understand insert songs, and I know where they all play, too, just by memory. But Kai doesn't reuse any insert songs from Z. So, the Red Ribbon song wouldn't be heard without narration in any potential Kai version (they'd probably cut that montage altogether). And to my knowledge, it doesn't seem like they've used insert songs since the Cell arc of Kai, unless you count the movies.
Okay, I didn't know for sure that they didn't use any insert songs in Boo Kai, but there was only one insert song in Z's Boo arc originally anyway, and it was during the "Peaceful world" epilogue mini-arc.

Anyway, the point here isn't whether an OG DB Kai would use insert songs, but that if it did, Funimation would keep them this time around.

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Tue May 23, 2017 5:16 pm

If you want me to be honest - I am doing everything what's in my power to prevent Kaifying anything Dragon Ball-related. The original voice acting, music, episode count and overall quality of the original series is the BEST what we can ever get. As long as this version will not receive decent HD release, I will never agree on any modifications.

Original series gives two options: fillers or no fillers. Kai version gives one option: no fillers.

Give me the original show, and then you can do anything you want. I would even support it, if somebody would ask me to do so.

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Tue May 23, 2017 8:46 pm

I'd go for it, but Goku would probably have kid/teen Gohan's current VA.

I really liked reading the DB part of the manga. Far more adventure like than Z and as such, entertaining in a very different way.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu May 25, 2017 12:37 am

cheddarsword wrote:I'd go for it, but Goku would probably have kid/teen Gohan's current VA.
Which would be a good thing. Also, "teen" Gohan is Buu arc Gohan, who is voiced by Hebert. Cell Games Gohan is not at all a "teen".

By that same token, in the Buu arc, I think Brian Drummond should have voiced Vegeta (Second Form) in Kai, and someone else in the Cell arc should have voiced Trunks (Fighting Teen). :mrgreen: (I jest)
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Thu May 25, 2017 1:20 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
cheddarsword wrote:I'd go for it, but Goku would probably have kid/teen Gohan's current VA.
Which would be a good thing. Also, "teen" Gohan is Buu arc Gohan, who is voiced by Hebert. Cell Games Gohan is not at all a "teen".

By that same token, in the Buu arc, I think Brian Drummond should have voiced Vegeta (Second Form) in Kai, and someone else in the Cell arc should have voiced Trunks (Fighting Teen). :mrgreen: (I jest)
Games call him Teen Gohan. Not sure what else to call "Cell Games Gohan". Also, I hate the new Gohan VA. I liked the old one.

Also, Brian Drummond? Brian "Milliardo Peacecraft" Drummond?

I just watched this video here because of your statement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XnJnvY8ZVk

Gotta say, he does Vegeta alright but Mr. Sabat is Vegeta to me. The way he voices the lines, the voice itself. Perfect Vegeta to me. He adds more weight to the character, while Brian Drummond just sounds like a twisted version of Zechs from the early episodes of Gundam Wing.

Don't get me wrong at all. Brian Drummond is one of my favorite VAs but his portrayal of Vegeta is just sub par to me.

If you want to hear a GOOD version of Brian Drummond, have a listen to this clip from Gundam WIng: Endless Waltz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfz2IkLQMVc
Last edited by cheddarsword on Thu May 25, 2017 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu May 25, 2017 1:25 am

It was just a big joke to make fun of those video game names. I've been wanting to do it for a long time. :wink:

I do prefer Clinkenbeard's Gohan, but if you don't that's fine.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Thu May 25, 2017 1:57 am

Metalwario64 wrote:It was just a big joke to make fun of those video game names. I've been wanting to do it for a long time. :wink:

I do prefer Clinkenbeard's Gohan, but if you don't that's fine.
Yeah, more a fan of the old Gohan's voice.

On the subject of VAs though, I'd really like to see Kaiserneko OFFICIALLY voice trunks. He just does it better IMO.

Also, about the Video Game names. Odd how they f***ed up "Cell Games Gohan" but got Ultimate Gohan, one of the most debated names, correct.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu May 25, 2017 3:19 am

cheddarsword wrote:Also, about the Video Game names. Odd how they f***ed up "Cell Games Gohan" but got Ultimate Gohan, one of the most debated names, correct.
In Shin Budokai he's called Gohan (Elder Kai Unlock Ability). :lol:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu May 25, 2017 3:13 pm

cheddarsword wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:

Games call him Teen Gohan. Not sure what else to call "Cell Games Gohan". Also, I hate the new Gohan VA. I liked the old one.

Gotta say, he does Vegeta alright but Mr. Sabat is Vegeta to me. The way he voices the lines, the voice itself. Perfect Vegeta to me. He adds more weight to the character, while Brian Drummond just sounds like a twisted version of Zechs from the early episodes of Gundam Wing.

Don't get me wrong at all. Brian Drummond is one of my favorite VAs but his portrayal of Vegeta is just sub par to me.

If you want to hear a GOOD version of Brian Drummond, have a listen to this clip from Gundam WIng: Endless Waltz:

If he had used his Zechs voice for Vegeta, you probably wouldn't have found him sub-par.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Thu May 25, 2017 3:27 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
cheddarsword wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote: Which would be a good thing. Also, "teen" Gohan is Buu arc Gohan, who is voiced by Hebert. Cell Games Gohan is not at all a "teen".

If he had used his Zechs voice for Vegeta, you probably wouldn't have found him sub-par.
Aye, ye have a good point thar.

As it is though, it's not my taste. In fact, after watching a few dub comparison videos, the entire Ocean dub just... bugs me. From the writing to the VAs to the line delivery. The original Funi dub is good but I gotta say, Kai is my favorite so far.

But THIS... is just epic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt_Wa7F3mco

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu May 25, 2017 3:58 pm

cheddarsword wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
cheddarsword wrote:

Aye, ye have a good point thar.

As it is though, it's not my taste. In fact, after watching a few dub comparison videos, the entire Ocean dub just... bugs me. From the writing to the VAs to the line delivery. The original Funi dub is good but I gotta say, Kai is my favorite so far.

But THIS... is just epic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt_Wa7F3mco
I think you should blame the line delivery on the voice director and the script writer. They tell the voice actors how to say the lines and the scripts could cause the voice actors to elongate their vowels and to speak their lines very fast. And yes, the writing is pretty bad in the Ocean dub, but hey the old Funi dub had its fair share of bad cheesy lines (Cat loves food!). I wouldn't exactly blame the voice actors for the problems the Ocean dub had. IMO, the voice actors working at Ocean are very talented folks.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.