Do you see them giving the original DB the Kai treatment?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Do you see them giving the original DB the Kai treatment?

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Tue May 16, 2017 9:44 am

It would be super cool. But if I recall, the original DBs dub wasn't nearly as bad as the dub for Z, and not nearly as much filler right? But even still, does anyone think it's in the realm of possibility?

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Re: Do you see them giving the original DB the Kai treatment?

Post by Forte224 » Tue May 16, 2017 9:51 am

Probably not, Z is the bigger money maker and they weren't even gonna finish that originally. And if they did, the picture quality would probably be about what TFC quality is. I disagree on DB's dub, I don't really like the voices. And during the insert song on Goku's way to fight the Red Ribbon Army, they covered over it with the freakin' narrator's voice which was very frustrating.

To be fair I don't even know who would voice Goku. Stephanie Nadolny shouldn't and wouldn't come back, and Clinkenbeard, though a great Gohan, doesn't pull off Kid Goku very well, imo.

Sorry to be so negative, haha. But yeah I really don't see it happening

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Tue May 16, 2017 10:21 am

Honestly DB is fine the way it is. Yeah they could easily cut the series down 30 episodes, but It wouldn't be as huge as 120 episodes that was able to be used for Z.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Tue May 16, 2017 10:51 am

Yeah, DB doesn't have quite the same pacing problems of Z, plus the DB dub is like...a zillion times better than the original Z dub. Wouldn't be worth it.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue May 16, 2017 11:29 am

I don't see the point. Dragon Ball functions perfectly fine it it's original form. As a matter of fact, I think the filler episodes enrich the story in a way that DBZ didn't do so often.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue May 16, 2017 11:41 am

TheBigBoy wrote:Yeah, DB doesn't have quite the same pacing problems of Z, plus the DB dub is like...a zillion times better than the original Z dub. Wouldn't be worth it.
The DB dub is far better than Z, but it's still pretty bad in its own right. Tons of extra dialogue, censorship changes, some changes just for fun, and my lord... Horrible character acting! I'm looking at you, everyone in the Red Ribbon Army. If you're in the market for a good dub of pre-Z material, you'd better pray for a pre-Z Kai.

It won't happen though. Too much censorship would come into play, to little filler material to cut. Among other drawbacks. There's just no incentive for it.
Retired.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue May 16, 2017 1:10 pm

Probably not. I never had a big problem with the filler in DB. I'd rather have Funi doing a re-dub of DB than a Kai version of DB.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue May 16, 2017 2:27 pm

The original without the filler episodes is 133 episodes long so they could cut that down to 100 or a bit more. A new dub would also be great and we'd get an HD remaster.

I don't think it'll happen though because DB is treated by the companies involved as Goku's unimportant kid adventures.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue May 16, 2017 2:28 pm

My biggest wish for Kai other than that god damn Ocean dub being released is a version of original Dragon Ball. It would give more people an incentive to watch it as the series will be significantly shorter, it will be a true HD remaster and more than likely come with a better dub. I'd eat it up in a heartbeat, censorship and all, I watch whatever I can with Dragon Ball in the title.

As for could it happen? Its doubtful when the Z, Super and to a lesser extent GT (in Heroes amongst other things) seems to be what sells both in Japan and internationally. There is a slim chance TOEI could commission it for foreign markets and if Super ends use it as a quick replacement, but I wouldn't count on it.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Tue May 16, 2017 3:26 pm

No, thanks. Part 1 Dragon Ball is fine as it is and even if there was a chance I would rather not have the embarrassment that was Dragon Ball Kai and it's garbage production values.

If Toei were to reboot the series and make it from scratch though, yeah that would be a better prospect. But, that too is at the risk of being Yamamuro'd, so ultimately I'd settle with 'don't want it'.

With Super around and all the new stuff going on, I don't think they will go back and I don't think they should go back.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue May 16, 2017 3:32 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
TheBigBoy wrote:Yeah, DB doesn't have quite the same pacing problems of Z, plus the DB dub is like...a zillion times better than the original Z dub. Wouldn't be worth it.
The DB dub is far better than Z, but it's still pretty bad in its own right. Tons of extra dialogue, censorship changes, some changes just for fun, and my lord... Horrible character acting! I'm looking at you, everyone in the Red Ribbon Army. If you're in the market for a good dub of pre-Z material, you'd better pray for a pre-Z Kai.

It won't happen though. Too much censorship would come into play, to little filler material to cut. Among other drawbacks. There's just no incentive for it.
Heh, you just reminded me FUNI gave all the Red Ribbon army commanders different accents.

Silver sounded somewhat British since Chris Sabat did his voice, White sounded Russian (although that made sense), Blue was another type of British, Commander Red was Irish, Black sounded African descent, etc.

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Tue May 16, 2017 4:33 pm

While I would love for them to give classic Dragon Ball the Kai treatment if only for Funimation to dub it properly, I find it highly unlikely that it would ever happen. Unfortunately, the pre-Z Dragon Ball stories aren't as popular or as marketable as the later stuff.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Tue May 16, 2017 5:40 pm

A Kai version of the original DB mean getting rid of a lot of the stuff from the 21st budokai arc that I love so much. So I hope not. I feel it's pretty strong as is. Filler and all.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Tue May 16, 2017 6:36 pm

I really don't see why they should. Early Dragon Ball is fantastic, and the filler is really good as well. Also, Early Dragon Ball doesn't make enough money for me to ever see it being capable of getting a Kai version.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Wed May 17, 2017 1:16 am

I really don't see DB getting a kai treatment. And I don't want a DB kai for Dragon Ball. I rather have DB in HD with the original Japanese VAs, filler and music.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed May 17, 2017 1:27 am

Sometimes the original's pacing slows down to a crawl. I'm rewatching the Daimao arc with my Dad, and the stretch of Goku getting out of the ice caves and Tenshinhan flying to Piccolo includes lots of nothing happening.

Also, the dub still really isn't good, and Nadolny can be annoying at times. Kid Krillin's dub actress has no emotion and range either, and usually sounds really shrill.

I'd like a Kai of the original, but at this point, even Kai itself is failing me (mostly TFC, between Sumitomo's score, the poorly remastered footage and now the dub's messed up sound effects), so I think I'll just happily stick with Dragon Ball in Japanese at this point. Sumitomo's score especially wouldn't work with the older, more Chinese martial arts based material.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:34 pm

Kid Goku isn't Kid Goku without Stephanie Nadolny. That's a problem with redubbing Dragon Ball. Additionally, the English dub was quite a bit better than the dub for DBZ and I wouldn't want to see any of the original reanimated because the old art style and colours are just so beautiful and I don't want them to be screwed with.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat May 20, 2017 8:28 am

floofychan333 wrote:Kid Goku isn't Kid Goku without Stephanie Nadolny. That's a problem with redubbing Dragon Ball. Additionally, the English dub was quite a bit better than the dub for DBZ and I wouldn't want to see any of the original reanimated because the old art style and colours are just so beautiful and I don't want them to be screwed with.
But the 1986 Dragon Ball would still be there. Much like the filler if the series gets Kai-ified, if you want the original you will still be able to watch it, no one will stop you.

Any Dragon Ball reboots we get will ultimately be there as an option, hell Kai has come and gone and plenty of people still prefer Z.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Sat May 20, 2017 2:30 pm

When I first joined the forum, I made a thred contaning things that I would want to see in a Kai of the Original Dragon Ball. I really wanted it then and knew that it would probably never happen, now I just watch the Japanese version and only care for dubs for Kai. Most likley, I mostly see an HD remaster of OG Drgaon Ball happening.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=34479
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=37958

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 20, 2017 2:37 pm

floofychan333 wrote:Kid Goku isn't Kid Goku without Stephanie Nadolny. That's a problem with redubbing Dragon Ball. Additionally, the English dub was quite a bit better than the dub for DBZ and I wouldn't want to see any of the original reanimated because the old art style and colours are just so beautiful and I don't want them to be screwed with.
Her Goku is insufferable. Clinkenbeard was a step up. The dub was a bit better but still not a great dub. It took plenty of liberties.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.