Could you have tolerated Linda Young in Kai onward?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Could you have tolerated Linda Young in Kai onward?

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed May 17, 2017 2:05 pm

Danfun64 wrote:
DHM211 wrote:She would have sounded like this, if not slightly better: https://youtu.be/wviMF1sUTco?t=39
A Boo Saga clip? I thought you were going to post this, as that's probably the "best" we'll ever see of Linda Young's Freeza...and even with accurate dialogue, it's still not that good.

...I wonder what Pauline Newstone's Freeza would have been like with an accurate script. Sure, LittleKuriboh and Chris Ayres' portrayals are better, but Newstone's Freeza is pretty good as far as female voices for the character go, better than Young's that's for sure. For one thing Newstone's voice can actually be threatening and scary when she wants it to be. Young...not even close.
Probably even creepier than the Saban dub version.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed May 17, 2017 2:41 pm

No way. Even as the years went by her performance as Freeza never became any less grating.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Wed May 17, 2017 2:53 pm

I listened to some of her work after not hearing it for years...and my first thought was "Lunchlady Doris." Yeah, not good.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed May 17, 2017 2:59 pm

Looking at this, there are actually times where Young's performance in the original Season 3 actually sounded better than the remastered dub. It's like the only performance that actually regressed as time went on. Still nowhere near as good as Newstone, let alone Ayres and LittleKuriboh.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Wed May 17, 2017 8:58 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:If Young hadn't been recast, I might not have bothered with Kai.
You say that, but it would still be the best dub by far. Would you really pass on it just because one villain, albeit an iconic one, had a voice that didn't perfectly reflect the character? I don't think anyone could honestly say they would, other than people who don't care about dubs at all.
There are literally dozens of anime & game dubs easily better than DB Kai. It's only special in the context of being based on an infamous dub. The main reason people bother with it at all is because the old dub was such a widespread introduction, & the recent dubs allow that nostalgia+accurate story to keep up with the modern anime industry.

A few of the other DB dubs have better casting too actually, or at the very least they're closer to the original audio, which tends to be the MO in casting dubs.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed May 17, 2017 9:01 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:There are literally dozens of anime & game dubs easily better than DB Kai. It's only special in the context of being based on an infamous dub.
Stop. There's no way you don't know exactly what I meant.
Retired.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu May 18, 2017 5:14 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:If Young hadn't been recast, I might not have bothered with Kai.
You say that, but it would still be the best dub by far. Would you really pass on it just because one villain, albeit an iconic one, had a voice that didn't perfectly reflect the character? I don't think anyone could honestly say they would, other than people who don't care about dubs at all.
There are literally dozens of anime & game dubs easily better than DB Kai. It's only special in the context of being based on an infamous dub. The main reason people bother with it at all is because the old dub was such a widespread introduction, & the recent dubs allow that nostalgia+accurate story to keep up with the modern anime industry.

A few of the other DB dubs have better casting too actually, or at the very least they're closer to the original audio, which tends to be the MO in casting dubs.
Are you trying to imply that as if it were a fact?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Thu May 18, 2017 6:24 pm

Could I have tolerated such a situation? Sure, easily. I never hated her performance. Still very much happy that Chris Ayres ended up with the role, though.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Thu May 18, 2017 6:29 pm

(So I wanted to post this earlier in my other comment, but my net went out so I couldnt edit it later.)

...Personally, while I think that the recent Freeza is one of the only objectively good castings in FUNi's DB dub, I think that if the idea of having Freeza voiced by a man had never been brought up, we'd have dealt with it all the same, the same way that people are just fine with other castings that stray from the original in DB's case. Rarely do people complain that Piccolo sounds too brutish, Yamcha is too deep & a bit fake-sounding, or Reccoome sounds too dumb. The biggest thing is the script is actually appropriate & doesnt change the tone. There's also the matter of Steve Blum as Orochimaru; it's kind of the same thing? & people tend not to mind too much (personally I think it's just rad).

Ultimately I think most people wouldn't really notice, as they mainly like the Kai dub because they grew up with DB with mostly those voices, but as a rabid enthusiast of dubs, I feel like that'd take away the one really notable & exceptional thing about Kai's dub for me - I didn't really grow up with the DB anime or its dub, so I'm not too attached to their voices, so my experience is probably not normal here.

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
huzaifa_ahmed wrote:There are literally dozens of anime & game dubs easily better than DB Kai. It's only special in the context of being based on an infamous dub.
Call it pedantry, sure; however, I feel the attitude of "it's such a good dub" disregards what good dubs actually are. Sure, we can't quite expect DB to have a perfect dub, considering its history, & that's definitely a factor to be taken into account. However, it'd be unfair to give DB that double standard when it comes to the dub. Most people wouldnt be nearly as lenient with other dubs.
8000 Saiyan wrote: Are you trying to imply that as if it were a fact?
Obviously good/bad is subjective; however I've seen enough people that default to DB dubs (yes, Kai included) however arent really interested in dubs in general, to say that. Pretty much any dub that gets a wide exposure is going to be popular - it's usually given a shot at a decent budget & hopefully good quality, but it's not necessary, & while DB Kai's dub is good for what it is, plenty of dubs tried much, much harder in the way of reflecting the source material.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu May 18, 2017 6:41 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:(So I wanted to post this earlier in my other comment, but my net went out so I couldnt edit it later.)

...Personally, while I think that the recent Freeza is one of the only objectively good castings in FUNi's DB dub, I think that if the idea of having Freeza voiced by a man had never been brought up, we'd have dealt with it all the same, the same way that people are just fine with other castings that stray from the original in DB's case. Rarely do people complain that Piccolo sounds too brutish, Yamcha is too deep & a bit fake-sounding, orReccoome sounds too dumb. The biggest thing is the script is actually appropriate & doesnt change the tone. There's also the matter of Steve Blum as Orochimaru; it's kind of the same thing? & people tend not to mind too much (personally I think it's just rad).

Ultimately I think most people wouldn't really notice, as they mainly like the Kai dub because they grew up with DB with mostly those voices, but as a rabid enthusiast of dubs, I feel like that'd take away the one really notable & exceptional thing about Kai's dub for me - I didn't really grow up with the DB anime or its dub, so I'm not too attached to their voices, so my experience is probably not normal here.

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Call it pedantry, sure; however, I feel the attitude of "it's such a good dub" disregards what good dubs actually are. Sure, we can't quite expect DB to have a perfect dub, considering its history, & that's definitely a factor to be taken into account. However, it'd be unfair to give DB that double standard when it comes to the dub. Most people wouldnt be nearly as lenient with other dubs.
8000 Saiyan wrote: Are you trying to imply that as if it were a fact?
Obviously good/bad is subjective; however I've seen enough people that default to DB dubs (yes, Kai included) however arent really interested in dubs in general, to say that. Pretty much any dub that gets a wide exposure is going to be popular - it's usually given a shot at a decent budget & hopefully good quality, but it's not necessary, & while DB Kai's dub is good for what it is, plenty of dubs tried much, much harder in the way of reflecting the source material.
A lot of people hate Recoome's Funimation voice. It's not rare to see hatred for that voice.

Aside from a few script changes, the Kai script is pretty accurate.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Thu May 18, 2017 8:07 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:A lot of people hate Recoome's Funimation voice. It's not rare to see hatred for that voice.
I was thinking of the hold-overs in term mistranslations, plus all of the voices they pretty much made up from the picture according to their personal interpretation & direction without any influence from the actual producers. Toei, if they cared, would've reauditioned or recast everyone - that's what they did for both Sailor Moon & One Piece - & IIRC, they did the casting for both of the old bowdlerized dubs themselves as well (only obvious huge issue being direction & censorship).

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu May 18, 2017 8:14 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:A lot of people hate Recoome's Funimation voice. It's not rare to see hatred for that voice.
I was thinking of the hold-overs in term mistranslations, plus all of the voices they pretty much made up from the picture according to their personal interpretation & direction without any influence from the actual producers. Toei, if they cared, would've reauditioned or recast everyone - that's what they did for both Sailor Moon & One Piece - & IIRC, they did the casting for both of the old bowdlerized dubs themselves as well (only obvious huge issue being direction & censorship).
Since when did Toei cast any of the actors for Sailor Moon's DiC dub? I don't think they cast Tracey Moore, and then decided to replace her with Terri Hawkes, who was replaced with Linda Ballantyne. And if they did the casting for 4Kids' One Piece, then how the hell did we get David Moo for Sanji when he doesn't sound nothing like Hiroaki Hirata? Can you explain that to me? I doubt they wanted the voices to sound like the Japanese ones when we have Sabat as Zoro, and he sounds nothing like Nakai, and Strait as Usopp, who sounds nothing like Yamaguchi. They probably don't care much if the voices don't sound like the Japanese ones.

Well, Funimation was a relatively young company back then. I respect someone wanting every voice to sound like the Japanese version, but that's relatively impossible to happen with every dub they churn out.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu May 18, 2017 11:57 pm

plus all of the voices they pretty much made up from the picture according to their personal interpretation & direction without any influence from the actual producers
I think the directors SHOULD cast based on their interpretation of the material and who they think best fits the character.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:28 pm

I certainly could have because I've gotten so attached to her Freeza that it would be kind of weird for me to hear a new VA. I'm sure I could get used to Chris Ayres in time, though.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat May 20, 2017 7:23 am

floofychan333 wrote:I certainly could have because I've gotten so attached to her Freeza that it would be kind of weird for me to hear a new VA. I'm sure I could get used to Chris Ayres in time, though.
You don't like Ayres?
Danfun64 wrote:Looking at this, there are actually times where Young's performance in the original Season 3 actually sounded better than the remastered dub.
Yeah, but I don't think that's saying much.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat May 20, 2017 4:38 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:I certainly could have because I've gotten so attached to her Freeza that it would be kind of weird for me to hear a new VA. I'm sure I could get used to Chris Ayres in time, though.
You don't like Ayres?
I've just never watched Kai so I've never heard his Freeza.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

TRIZACK
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TRIZACK » Sat May 20, 2017 11:37 pm

Danfun64 wrote:Looking at this, there are actually times where Young's performance in the original Season 3 actually sounded better than the remastered dub. It's like the only performance that actually regressed as time went on. Still nowhere near as good as Newstone, let alone Ayres and LittleKuriboh.
I thought I was the only one that thought this on her season 3 material. It's still pretty bad and am glad Ayres replaced her.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat May 20, 2017 11:39 pm

Hell no... her, Tiffany Vollmer, and Stephanie Nadoley are all terrible voice actresses that shouldn't be involved with the franchise majorly at all.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat May 20, 2017 11:46 pm

Hey there DBZOTA! I missed you...but how can you post if you are temporarily banned?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sun May 21, 2017 9:17 am

I prefer her voice actually, so I wouldn't mind her returning.