What If: Toriyama Retired?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Re: What If: Toriyama Retired?

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon May 22, 2017 10:22 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:Me: "Y'know guys, I think Dragon Ball had its time, lasted a good long while, but seeing as how its been over with for so long and bringing it back now suddenly and eventually without any input from Toriyama would probably only dilute and damage the magic. Maybe instead of clinging to the past we ought to instead just cling to DB's spirit and explore brand new material and horizons that we've never experienced before outside of Dragon Ball, taking with us the notion of "adventure" that so many seemed to get out of Shonen and using it to launch us forward towards brand new things and new experiences to grow and change off of, following in the example of the characters in DB.

Kanz: "How do you know that the new DB material won't actually be good, huh? You're just being closed-minded!"
Not sure how I missed this gem before.

I hope you had your fun misrepresenting my sentiment, but why don't we actually talk about...well, the thing that this entire forum is focused on. Yeah, it's good to expand your horizons, literally no one will disagree with you. But tell me... What on God's green Earth does that have to do with new Dragon Ball material? You can read Rules for Radicals or The Innocents Abroad, or whatever you want, and also maintain interest in new Dragon Ball material. Ambitious, I know, but here's another thing; Assuming two things have the capacity to be separate, it's rational assume that you can be open minded in one area, but not in another!

Not that you'd be interested in the far-fetched ideas of a madman like myself, but just in case you feel like not totally ignoring my point in favor of pivoting to an unrelated place where it's easier to get intellectual brownie points, this is here.
Retired.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon May 22, 2017 11:27 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
cheddarsword wrote: Lately, I've been thinking that perhaps it's time that Shigeru Miyamoto step down. After the mess that was Star Fox Zero and with the move toward mobile gaming (an idea that I despise) among other things, I personally feel that his time is up.
He is the reason Paper Mario went from fantastic RPGs to whatever crap Sticker Star was supposed to be, so tbh I'd be for it if it means we can get the level of quality we used to have in that series at least.
Hey man, color splash was pretty good.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Mon May 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
cheddarsword wrote: Lately, I've been thinking that perhaps it's time that Shigeru Miyamoto step down. After the mess that was Star Fox Zero and with the move toward mobile gaming (an idea that I despise) among other things, I personally feel that his time is up.
He is the reason Paper Mario went from fantastic RPGs to whatever crap Sticker Star was supposed to be, so tbh I'd be for it if it means we can get the level of quality we used to have in that series at least.
No, it wasn't. I never played it, and usually i don't rail on games i haven't played, but ANY turn based RPG that requires ammo to go through EVERY BATTLE, isn't worth anything. It's a stupid mechanic and should have died with that Disney MMO. Toon town was it? Whatever. Didn't play it very long.

Sticker Star Stunk, and Color Splash didn't make a very Colorful Splash.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon May 22, 2017 11:54 pm

cheddarsword wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
No, it wasn't. I never played it, and usually i don't rail on games i haven't played, but ANY turn based RPG that requires ammo to go through EVERY BATTLE, isn't worth anything. It's a stupid mechanic and should have died with that Disney MMO. Toon town was it? Whatever. Didn't play it very long.

If Sticker Star was a 0/10, Color Splash is a 4/10. It's not an RPG but any means, but at least it kept the Paper Mario humor (which Sticker Star did not have)

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Tue May 23, 2017 12:00 am

Cipher wrote:I would actually stop watching Super.

I'm jumping off the ongoing Dragon Ball train when Toriyama does. That isn't a promise or a threat. It's just going to happen.
Same. I'm retiring from Dragonball consumption and investments when he steps aside. Toriyama was aprt of my childhood, and with him gone it will be apart of childhood gone. I'll never look at Dragonball the same again.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue May 23, 2017 1:22 am

I think GT, the videogames, and some of the subpar filler material really puts into perspective how Dragonball without Toriyama just feels like fanfiction. You could arguably say the same for the movies too.

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Tue May 23, 2017 1:53 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
cheddarsword wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote: Hey man, color splash was pretty good.

If Sticker Star was a 0/10, Color Splash is a 4/10. It's not an RPG but any means, but at least it kept the Paper Mario humor (which Sticker Star did not have)
Even with the humor, it still didn't feel like a good Paper Mario game, did it?

If it doesn't at least play like a real RPG AND have the Paper Mario humor, then it isn't worth the time. They don't have to match up to TTYD (hard to top really) but they should at least make the attempt. Trying to match the best and failing at least makes for a good game.

But to say "We hear the fans!" and make a game that clearly says "Fuck the fans!" clearly shows that nintendo thinks that either they think they know what we want better than we do, or they want to force us to accept the new way.

Anyway, I feel like I'm derailing the topic a bit here by continuing with this conversation. Or at least, not commenting on the topic at hand as well.
precita wrote:I think GT, the videogames, and some of the subpar filler material really puts into perspective how Dragonball without Toriyama just feels like fanfiction. You could arguably say the same for the movies too.
To be fair though, some fanfiction is indeed good. And with the way that Super is working out so far, it's more or less up to the fans to translate what they think is the reasoning behind things.

Not to mention that there's the whole Manga Vs. Anime thing and this time, it's legitimate. Not just "MANGA IS WORD OF GOD!" stuff. They're both fully expressed translations of an established plot line.

I don't think that DB as a whole would change too much if someone else took the reigns. The Peanuts comics haven't changed tone enough that people really noticed after it's writer died and I think that if Toriyama hand picked someone to take his place, then we may still see decent official DB material.

Also worth noting is that the Mega Man franchise of games is all but dead now and as such, the fans have taken up the reigns to ensure a continued existence of Mega Man goodness. I especially have my eye on Mega Man X Corrupted which should be nearing completion and seeing a release this year. So as I said, some fan fiction can be good.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue May 23, 2017 2:18 am

cheddarsword wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:

Nah, I had a pretty good time with it, and that's all that matters for me.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Tue May 23, 2017 2:35 am

Soppa Saia People wrote:
cheddarsword wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote: Hey man, color splash was pretty good.

Nah, I had a pretty good time with it, and that's all that matters for me.
Never said the game wouldn't appeal to some people. Hell, I liked DBZ Sagas back in the day.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Tue May 23, 2017 5:33 am

sintzu wrote:
ABED wrote:I remember a few years back, Mike began watching GT from the beginning and he used a phrase that's something like "It's Dragon Ball, but not quite".

I don't foresee Toriyama taking on the duties of a showrunner just to keep the stories consistent with his voice.
That's how the Super anime feels as well, especially during the Toei only material. It really stands out compared to what Toriyama writes and not in a good way.
Idk mate, to me the only problem that remains in Super is power levels, for the rest I really feel it's a genuine continuation, much more than GT IMO

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue May 23, 2017 6:15 am

PsionicWarrior wrote:Idk mate, to me the only problem that remains in Super is power levels, for the rest I really feel it's a genuine continuation, much more than GT IMO
Toriyama's basic plots and characters feel genuine but the way Toei is handeling it doesn't. Toyotaru's manga feels a lot closer to what I'd expect from Toriyama had he continued the manga himself.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Tue May 23, 2017 6:20 am

sintzu wrote: Toriyama's basic plots and characters feel genuine but the way Toei is handeling it doesn't. Toyotaru's manga feels a lot closer to what I'd expect from Toriyama had he continued the manga himself.
Depends... I agree some of Toei's implementation has been straight down awful for a good chunk of the series but tbh it's been a while I haven't cringed to anything, it seems they learn.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue May 23, 2017 6:44 am

DB is once again a billion $ business for the companies involved so it's really, well, beside the point to discuss whether it should end anytime soon or not because it won't.
It still was even when it was dormant.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Tue May 23, 2017 10:29 am

ABED wrote:
DB is once again a billion $ business for the companies involved so it's really, well, beside the point to discuss whether it should end anytime soon or not because it won't.
It still was even when it was dormant.
The 'dormant' profit versus profit while brand new serialized anime is running. I mean, not to be snarky but take a guess which years make Toei, Bandai and Shueisha more excited.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue May 23, 2017 10:48 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Not sure how I missed this gem before.

I hope you had your fun misrepresenting my sentiment, but why don't we actually talk about...well, the thing that this entire forum is focused on. Yeah, it's good to expand your horizons, literally no one will disagree with you. But tell me... What on God's green Earth does that have to do with new Dragon Ball material? You can read Rules for Radicals or The Innocents Abroad, or whatever you want, and also maintain interest in new Dragon Ball material. Ambitious, I know, but here's another thing; Assuming two things have the capacity to be separate, it's rational assume that you can be open minded in one area, but not in another!

Not that you'd be interested in the far-fetched ideas of a madman like myself, but just in case you feel like not totally ignoring my point in favor of pivoting to an unrelated place where it's easier to get intellectual brownie points, this is here.
Please don't make wild accusations as to my intent. It wasn't my specific intent to intentionally "misrepresent" anything you said, I genuinely took your comment as missing my original point entirely. My original post was focused on the broader point that maybe part of the problem here lies with the fanbase itself and it inability to let go of the franchise and let it be laid to rest as something that did its time before playing out its creative lifespan to its conclusion. Percieving that sentiment of "let go of the past and move on to other things" as "closed-minded" struck me legitimately as comically missing the forest for the trees.

But fine, to your point: is it outright impossible in any way for someone to come up with a halfway decent idea for a Dragon Ball story and execute it with baseline competency? Of course it isn't. The whole "monkeys on typewriters" analogy fits here, as it does with almost any giant, overstuffed franchise. Given enough time, enough people, and enough tries at it, I'm sure that if DB were to continue on in perpetuity from now till doomsday, SOMEONE somewhere is gonna spin something that's even somewhat vaguely worthwhile.

My point though is... why is that even worth it? Instead of tediously dredging through mountains of failed muck to wring out a few interesting gems worth of stories (and I can all but guarantee you that that's exactly what a Toriyama-less, into-perpetuity DB will consist of over the years should that be what the future holds) why not just let sleeping dogs lie? What good does it do to Dragon Ball's legacy to have it be bogged down even further with extraneous fluff that at best will add nothing and at worst will only dilute what made the original series work in the first place? For what, just to get a few moments more of "contact high" from whatever halfway okay-ish material might be squeezed out of it once every so often?

That kind of aching desperation for "another hit" from the fanbase right now is EXACTLY what's putting me off so strongly to all of this. All of this further jonzing for more Dragon Ball seems to stem from primarily two things: A) Toei's quest to make more money, and B) the fans somehow not being satisfied with a decade-long sprawling serial that is covered in a staggeringly dense mountain of manga tankobon and anime episodes/movies, and not being able to let go of that original rush they felt as children. I've seen this exact song and dance play out time after time after time in other nerd media, be it Star Wars or Marvel/DC or whatever else have you. And the whole routine at this point is just utterly sad and futile on the part of all parties involved across the board.

Its not a matter of being "closed-minded", its a matter of watching history repeat itself in virtually the exact same way time after time after time and being flabbergasted as to how so many people haven't yet clued into the fact that the problem is that they themselves are fueling these completely gratuitous recyclings of (sometimes ancient) franchises by dutifully showing up like pigs to the trough over and over again because they're like heroin junkies chasing the dragon of memories with these properties from ages ago. Instead of, I dunno, just demanding and being on the lookout for fresh new ideas and experiences instead.

I get and understand still liking and being fond of something old from earlier on in life and still coming back to it years on. I'm posting here, aren't I? But at the same time, while for example I'm a huge fan of Pulp Fiction and it remains one of my all time favorite movies, I'm not itching or aching for it to suddenly get a sequel or remake or what have you. TONS of other of my favorite media concepts/properties have been belatedly sequalized or revamped long many years after the fact over the past decade now, and in almost NO case was it EVER worth it. Sometimes, oftentimes, things just have their time and place, and then they're done. And you remember it warmly and you go back to it to revisit from time to time, and you even share it with your children (and its all new to them either way); but you move the fuck on ultimately to new things.

And don't misunderstand: if a creator, be it the original or a fresh vibrant voice, comes in to do something new with an old idea coming from primarily a place of genuine creative inspiration, then that's all great and wonderful and I'm all for it. That's certainly happened before as well. But that's not even what something like Super is here. Toriyama is "back" in only the most tenuous manner possible (barely more than what he did for GT even), and I'm not sure how much of his sudden return was inspired by genuine creative inspiration or pure venomous spite towards DB Evolution. I'd understand if it was primarily the former or even some combination of both, but if the latter was the only or main reason he agreed to ok this and do some rough concept work for it, then that's hardly much of an incentive to be optimistic going forward. Motivation and drive are all well and good, and anger is certainly an excellent motivator, but that alone without any ideas or anything new of interest to add don't really amount to much in the end.

Point is, I don't think that most fans have really thought through very well what sudden new DB material after all these many years would entail, apart from "Yay, I get to vicariously relive my childhood all over again!" Most fans I don't think really see how much of what made Dragon Ball distinctive and fresh and unique is tied firmly to Toriyama's voice, sensibilities, and artistry. You aren't left with much beyond just another in a long line of martial arts fantasy serials without that one of a kind distinct creative personality not only holding it all together, but elevating it into something more. Other creators can certainly do competent martial arts fantasy serials well, and surely they will if they get assigned to Dragon Ball: but Dragon Ball was always something more and apart from just a "competent martial arts fantasy story". And that something was a genuine artist's unfiltered (or barely-filtered) creative voice behind it, fueling it forward and giving it a shape and life that set it drastically apart from countless other wuxia serials.

I think that in a weird sort of way, in their zeal to still have more, to have the ride never truly end and keep going for as long as possible (if not forever outright) that a lot of fans almost unintentionally devalue and play down exactly what DB's real creative strengths are and from where it has achieved its longevity. Unlike so many other works and properties out there, which can have a degree of anonymity and sameness to their creative identity, there was never any mistaking where and from whom DB sprang from. For such a massively mainstream and popular property, there's a real value to that kind of artistic intimacy that gets overlooked and that is generally hard to find in similarly monolithic franchise properties.

I don't think a lot of fans realize how much they're (again unintentionally) belittling DB and underestimating/undervaluing it to treat it as if its just another stock and trade DC Comics-esque property and anyone from anywhere can just hop aboard and give their take on the concept, in an assembly line-like fashion. As Cipher has said, Dragon Ball does not live and die on its concept, as its concept is fairly bog-standard Wuxia fantasy of which there are a gazillion others like it out there. Dragon Ball lives and dies on that bog-standard Wuxia storytelling as being heavily filtered through the mind and pen of not only one of the most singularly distinctive visual stylists to ever come out of manga, but also the kind of irreverently comedic mind that you wouldn't generally expect to take on such a story, but yet does it so well.

I think this is symptomatic not only of DB fandom, but more broadly as a part of a culture that has been increasingly homogenizing and devaluing individual artistic merit and seeing creative works and media less through the prism of the work of individual artists, but instead through the "brand" of the surface work itself. A culture that has been trained over the years to internalize and accept the ever increasingly corporatization of creative media as a whole. Dragon Ball is seen now as good and special to so many not because it was made by a singular creative talent like Akira Toriyama, but purely because its Dragon Ball, as if that in and of itself alone somehow is a seal of quality. The hands that mold it behind the scenes may as well be invisible if not non-existent as far as the audience is concerned.

This sick, twisted internalizing of a corporate view of creative media on the part of average, everyday fans is seen even in countless discussions on this very forum that deal in arguing over profit margins and spreadsheets of Dragon Ball's annual sales figures (both in this thread here, as well as tons more going back to even over a decade ago). There's almost NO reason why we, the general audience, should care one single whit about DB's sales numbers (that stuff ought to be exclusively the concern of Toei and Shueisha's bean counters), particularly when it was an inactive and completed/dead series for so long; and yet the sales numbers for things like merchandise and such have continued to be obsessed over, even on the podcast by Mike, almost with the same degree of obsessive fervor as Battle Powers throughout this forum's entire existence.

Tracking and following Dragon Ball sales numbers has long-since become almost as integral a part of Kanzenshuu's fan culture as obsessing over strength debates, and yet no one ever stops for one second to question just WHY its ingrained in anyone's heads here to give a flying fuck how many units a Raging Blast game has shifted this quarter? I mean really, what the fuck does it ultimately matter to any of us not in Bamco's accounting department? At least its a BIT more relevant now that DB's is on "active" status again, but we've been at this game now as a community since at least the mid-2000s or so.

I bring this up as just one of many examples as to how regular, everyday people in the fan community have over the years unconsciously absorbed and internalized seeing every piece of creative media around them purely and solely through a corporate lens instead of as an audience or from the creator's perspective. And this view I think is hugely symptomatic behind the fanbase seeing DB less as the creative byproduct of a unique artist, and more as just a pure brandname product to be mass marketed by whomever, with the original author's input being a nice, but totally optional and ultimately not needed side-bonus.

Again, Dragon Ball was a work that had already had a MASSIVE glut of content in its original creative heyday, when it was all still largely the singular work of one unique and talented artist. The nature and state of its current and future wellspring of content does not in any way posit any sort of return to those original glory days. Indeed the argument can be (and has been) made that those original glory days were on wobbly, creaking legs towards their end to begin with, thanks to creative burnout and ideas being tapped out. Of course time can indeed recharge any artist's creative batteries: but again, Toriyama hasn't committed to this anywhere close to 100% (and Toriyama IS Dragon Ball), and that's not even getting into the questionably shaky stated primary motivations for why he's jumping back in now all of a sudden.

And of course people can walk & chew bubblegum, i.e. explore new things while still engaging with old/new DB content: though at least in my own experience a lot of fans on this community generally DON'T ever really explore or stray very far from heavily Shonen-centric content as a whole. But that's a whole other bigger, broader issue with the community here. It just doesn't paint a very optimistic or flattering portrait of the community though when that aspect is also paired with the constant outcry for DB to continue on indefinitely. I know that there are people here to whom none of this applies, but they certainly haven't generally been a representative majority in my experience here.

All said and done, there's just no good argument that I can see as to why that original spate of content (in all its absurd density) shouldn't be more than satisfactory for ANYONE. It HAD been for well over 15 years after its endpoint. This yearning for more now and the nature of the more that we're getting, while obviously it hasn't been without its individual bright points, cannot help but be seen as the epitome of gratuitous and needless. And the motivations for both continuing to make it on Toei/Toriyama's end, as well as the motivation for the fans still wanting more of it, despite the insane amount of it already available before, cannot help but come across as dubious and questionable at best.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue May 23, 2017 12:11 pm

While DB is as close to a sure thing as anything I've ever seen, it does have its limits. There is a point of diminishing marginal returns by continuing to go back to that. On one hand I can understand Kunzait's point, but I also don't think the problem is driven by profit. I don't think creativity and profit are antithetical. I have no issue with DC or Marvel comics where there's a beginning and an infinite middle. It's not all one continuity so we have a bunch of different takes on Batman and Spider-Man. However, DB is a single story written by one author. I don't have a hard and fast rule about what I prefer, but in DB's case specifically, we've had plenty. The story has come and gone. There are room for new video games and such but let the story go and let them find another profitable story. When that has had its heyday, find another.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue May 23, 2017 12:23 pm

I know Dragon Ball isn't all comedy, but the sense of whimsy that pervades it all is indeed tied to Toriyama's own sense of humor. In that sense, Toriyama is very much so a comedian. Having Dragon Ball without Toriyama would be like having Chappelle's Show without Dave Chappelle. I'd still watch it, and I'd still enjoy it. But the consistent core creative comedic voice would be gone. All that would be left would be a (serviceable at best) emulation. It'd be a fun ride for a while, but the spark that made the original so magical would simply not be there.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue May 23, 2017 12:32 pm

The desire for more DB after all these years feels like when you eat something and love it then after eating it too much you lose your taste for it and don't eat it again for a while. After some time passes, you start to like it again.

Battle of Gods felt like a work that Toriyama was genuinely creatively inspired to create. You could tell he was having fun with that, but a movie is different than a weekly series.

I can understand the desire to see more of what you love, but I've come to think of the creators as the brand. For instance, I'm a fan of the writers Michael Shur and Rob Thomas. Shur created Parks and Rec and Thomas created Veronica Mars. Both those series ended, but they went on to create new series. The stories may be different, but their voice and creativity is still there. I enjoy The Good Place and iZombie a lot and it's two new worlds with interesting characters for me to enjoy. The concretes aren't the same, but the reasons I enjoyed those writers' works is still there. There's still great writing, laugh out loud comedy, and dialog that is like music. To bring it back around to DB, I wish people would be willing to say good bye to it and follow Toriyama on some other journey.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue May 23, 2017 5:37 pm

Basaku wrote:Other artists can succesfully contribute to this universe without being Toriyama themselves.
They could, but not in a way I'd feel compelled to support, or even comfortable supporting, in perpetuity.

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Wed May 24, 2017 10:57 am

It depends, if they plan to go db heroes or dbgt route db would be destroyed. Everyone is tired to see only saiyajins get power ups. Hopefully Hitto will change that.