Will anyone hold DB Super like the original manga run?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Will anyone hold DB Super like the original manga run?

Post by Desassina » Thu May 25, 2017 7:00 pm

It certainly keeps us on hold for new content as an original production, and the assets are easier to revisit in a future release, a few scenes tied to other entries notwithstanding. I also feel that its color is going to make the difference, when helped by Akira Toriyama's choices, whose concepts include the former to distinguish the transformations, for example, instead of being the product of an adaptation. Say what you will about the story, but the characters are spot on, and the fan service doesn't get in the way of new developments. DB Super will get my purchase!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Will anyone hold DB Super like the original manga run?

Post by VegettoEX » Thu May 25, 2017 7:09 pm

I'm having a really difficult time understanding what you are asking, particularly that section about color(?).

Are you asking if it will "hold up" (i.e., stand the test of time) a la the original manga?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Thu May 25, 2017 7:16 pm

Ok... In case you were a follower of the manga then, you knew that you were waiting for new content all the time, and I believe that most people already hold on to DB Super as the product to get it from. They will look back and remember the times when they sat in front of the screen to watch the new episodes, regardless of its quality or the complaints about it, and they might as well buy the home releases in case they are retouched. Now, where was this so hard to understand, or am I really in need to type clearer?

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Thu May 25, 2017 7:21 pm

It's a little hard to understand because it feels like you're dancing around the question without asking it.

Are you asking if we will enjoy Dragonball Super like we enjoyed the original run back in the day? Or remember it as fondly?
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Thu May 25, 2017 7:26 pm

More or less. It has something to do with people realizing that, despite the perceived quality of the show, they are watching it like someone used to with the original Dragon Ball manga run. It's not due to it being novelty, but a revival of the series with everything that makes them talk, good or bad about the show.

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Thu May 25, 2017 7:34 pm

Oh, I see. Well in that case, for me, probably not. My view on Super is that it's just extra or bonus Dragonball. I still enjoy it greatly but not to the extent that I did when I was watching it in the original run. (Or the Original run in the US anyway.) It was my first anime and I had not seen anything like Dragonball prior. Kind of hard to top. I enjoy Super like I do any other show I like, though with a little bit more wonder in my heart because it's Dragonball.

I will purchase the manga and anime when I can though. Despite whatever quality issues, I still see it as good enough to eat my money.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu May 25, 2017 9:46 pm

There's no way to know cause it isn't over yet. What we get in the future could be so good that it blows the original out of the water or so bad that it takes down everything good Super has done so far. If the quality stays the same that it is now then it'll be remembered well.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Fri May 26, 2017 12:12 am

No. I'm only keeping up cause of my interest in the messy production side of things. I'm not spending a cent on a below average product like DBS.

Unless a miracle happens and DBS suddenly skyrockets in quality, I'm not going to revisit it once it is over. You ain't getting my purchase.

As for longevity, I dunno. We'll have to wait and see.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri May 26, 2017 12:19 am

I'll always have Toyotaro's DBS Manga right next to the original manga run, Jaco, and the two Toriyama movies. As for the anime, it's something to watch, but I don't care much for it, I'll probably never revisit it once it's over.

So... not really?
Retired.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri May 26, 2017 12:33 am

It's a Dragonball series. It'll be rewatched and talked about till the end of time.

GT has a negative reception yet it's constantly talked about on a daily basis somewhere on the internet. This is a series that ended 20 years ago

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri May 26, 2017 12:37 am

precita wrote:It's a Dragonball series. It'll be rewatched and talked about till the end of time.

GT has a negative reception yet it's constantly talked about on a daily basis somewhere on the internet. This is a series that ended 20 years ago
GT is a special case, an example of what happens when a franchise so tethered to its creator is removed from him. It isn't talked about due to its own merits, but its place in relation to a classic. Super doesn't have the same benefit, it's a bonafide Toriyama continuation that just happens to be a sizeable downgrade in most respects.
Retired.

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Fri May 26, 2017 3:30 am

Most replies after the Boo Machine turned out as expected: quality. However, there's someone who mentioned that he keeps up with DB Super for its bad quality, at least. There is a saying in Portuguese for this: "quem desdenha quer comprar" (whoever shows disdain wants to buy).

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Fri May 26, 2017 2:40 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I'll always have Toyotaro's DBS Manga right next to the original manga run, Jaco, and the two Toriyama movies. As for the anime, it's something to watch, but I don't care much for it, I'll probably never revisit it once it's over.

So... not really?
I'm with this guy. I'll buy the manga and enjoy it. TBH, that's really the release I want concerning Super. The anime? Nah. I'll watch every now and then, but only through Crunchyroll. I ain't paying for the anime.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri May 26, 2017 3:51 pm

The original series (from a story telling) in my opinion doesn't hold up as it did back then as we now we have access to soooo many series from Japan, but many people myself included still enjoy it but it's just so easy to pick apart the flaws now.

I actually think Super will still be looked upon better once it's all said and done, I myself am enjoying it immensely have already spent quite a bit of money on it and most definitely will continue to do so.

Generico Garbagio
Beyond Newbie

Post by Generico Garbagio » Fri May 26, 2017 7:19 pm

I'm also not sure I understand what you asked for, but I think I can answer. I think you want to know if we will hold DBS in high regard like DB and DBZ (f**k GT)...?

I used to love DBZ as a kid (I'm 28 now), and then basically it passed I guess. I never forgot and I still liked it, but it wasn't popular over here so I was just a nerd.

Then years passed.

Then Dragon Ball Z Abridged was a thing! I rewatched all the original DB, DBZ, and watched GT for the first time, then. GT sucked. And now I follow DBZA abdridged religiously.

AND THEN BATTLE OF GODS WAS AWESOME! Resurrection of F was cool.

And now Super! So now I watch DBS because I love Dragon Ball. It's the first time I watch anime in Japanese with subs. I never watched any other anime either since Digimon in the first season where it was Tai and Agumon and eventually his sister is there too but she's a kid and she has a cat and there's a big demon and I never saw the ending.

If you did read it please tell me how.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri May 26, 2017 9:08 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I'll always have Toyotaro's DBS Manga right next to the original manga run, Jaco, and the two Toriyama movies. As for the anime, it's something to watch, but I don't care much for it, I'll probably never revisit it once it's over.

So... not really?
I'm with this guy. I'll buy the manga and enjoy it. TBH, that's really the release I want concerning Super. The anime? Nah. I'll watch every now and then, but only through Crunchyroll. I ain't paying for the anime.
I'm leaning towards this as well but I don't want to fully rule out the anime cause it's not over yet and its price will play a role in it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.