What made you switch over to the Japanese version?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: What made you switch over to the Japanese version?

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:23 am

ShaneisMC wrote:I saw everything in Japanese after I got all the Dragon Boxes and everything.
Did you do the thing where you ripped the video and added the subtitles or some other method that you used? I'm really curious about that stuff. So far, I have basically a big ass Word document with the subtitles that I kind of read along with if I feel like watching the Dragon Boxes. I'm not up for ripping the video really.

Thanks in advance!

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:15 am

Ki Breaker wrote:It was super, I had to watch the show and waiting for the dub was pointless..
Japanese version grew on me..

It's a matter of familiarity, now that I was familiar with Japanese I could enjoy the Japanese charm as well..
Same here for me. I'm used to the dub now but I never "transitioned" over.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:53 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:
ShaneisMC wrote:I saw everything in Japanese after I got all the Dragon Boxes and everything.
Did you do the thing where you ripped the video and added the subtitles or some other method that you used? I'm really curious about that stuff. So far, I have basically a big ass Word document with the subtitles that I kind of read along with if I feel like watching the Dragon Boxes. I'm not up for ripping the video really.

Thanks in advance!
Nah man I just got all 7 of the North American Dragon Box releases. The discs play in Japanese with subtitles by default. Its pretty kickass honestly that they made a point of it being one of the main attractions for the release.

AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie

Post by AloversGaming » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:55 pm

I had DBZ Budokai 1 on the PS2, that was only released in Japanese here in Ireland. Never took an interest in it, though.

Then skip ahead to 2008 and "Yo! Son Goku And Friends Return!" got released. I didn't want to wait 6 months for an English release (which ended up never happening), so I decided i'll watch it subs. Everything clicked; the tone of speech, the mannerisms, the terms they used... it all felt connected and that it belonged.

I grew up with Ocean (and watched a bit of Funi), it was always easy to tell when a line, name of a character or whatever else may be incorrect to the original source, and that bugged me endlessly.

So, after watching "Friends Return" I was fine with Japanese, and felt excited to watch Battle of the Gods in Japanese upon its release. Since then I have become a massive fan of the original, and increasingly more annoyed at any and all dubs of the franchise. Personally, a good dub to me is one that keeps every word, term, joke completely intact. Funi seem to still carry a lot of the '90s dubbing problems over to Super (no matter how many dub fans say that isn't the case). I didn't like what seemed like ad-libs as a kid, and I sure as Hell can't stand them now knowing they weren't in the original.

Due to Super; I have lost interest in watching any anime dubbed.

Yakuza 4's awesome Japanese voice acting and the information i've been hearing about Persona 5's translation may move me away from some English version of animeish style games, too.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:59 pm

AloversGaming wrote:I had DBZ Budokai 1 on the PS2, that was only released in Japanese here in Ireland. Never took an interest in it, though.

Then skip ahead to 2008 and "Yo! Son Goku And Friends Return!" got released. I didn't want to wait 6 months for an English release (which ended up never happening), so I decided i'll watch it subs. Everything clicked; the tone of speech, the mannerisms, the terms they used... it all felt connected and that it belonged.

I grew up with Ocean (and watched a bit of Funi), it was always easy to tell when a line, name of a character or whatever else may be incorrect to the original source, and that bugged me endlessly.

So, after watching "Friends Return" I was fine with Japanese, and felt excited to watch Battle of the Gods in Japanese upon its release. Since then I have become a massive fan of the original, and increasingly more annoyed at any and all dubs of the franchise. Personally, a good dub to me is one that keeps every word, term, joke completely intact. Funi seem to still carry a lot of the '90s dubbing problems over to Super (no matter how many dub fans say that isn't the case). I didn't like what seemed like ad-libs as a kid, and I sure as Hell can't stand them now knowing they weren't in the original.

Due to Super; I have lost interest in watching any anime dubbed.

Yakuza 4's awesome Japanese voice acting and the information i've been hearing about Persona 5's translation may move me away from some English version of animeish style games, too.
Hey, that's not really possible, I mean sure there are some jokes that are universal and so on but some rely on puns or wordplay that may be outright impossible to replicate in a dub. You COULD say that this inability to properly translate DOES drive you away from dubs and that's understandable. But you cant expect a good dub to do just that.

I dont condemn you for not liking dubs, especially english ones because its REALLY easy to tell bad acting in English.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:25 pm

ShaneisMC wrote: Nah man I just got all 7 of the North American Dragon Box releases. The discs play in Japanese with subtitles by default. Its pretty kickass honestly that they made a point of it being one of the main attractions for the release.
Oh that's what you meant by "all the Dragon Boxes." Since you said that you saw everything, I assumed that you meant you saw the entire franchise (DB, GT, and movies included) by getting all of the Dragon Boxes. Never mind.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:36 pm

AloversGaming wrote:after watching "Friends Return" I was fine with Japanese, and felt excited to watch Battle of the Gods in Japanese upon its release. Since then I have become a massive fan of the original, and increasingly more annoyed at any and all dubs of the franchise.
Surely there must be one English dub of the DB franchise you genuinely enjoy.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:16 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:
ShaneisMC wrote: Nah man I just got all 7 of the North American Dragon Box releases. The discs play in Japanese with subtitles by default. Its pretty kickass honestly that they made a point of it being one of the main attractions for the release.
Oh that's what you meant by "all the Dragon Boxes." Since you said that you saw everything, I assumed that you meant you saw the entire franchise (DB, GT, and movies included) by getting all of the Dragon Boxes. Never mind.
Nah man. Used the Blue Brick Season Sets for DB/ also have the Singles dvd parts, Dragon Boxes for Z (i have the orange bricks but they can burn in hell of course), Green Brick Season Sets for GT/ Also the singles dvd parts. Watched all the movies on Blu ray. And I watch Kai on Blu Ray in Parts. I've got other forms of the show in various formats but those are more or less the main ones.

AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie

Post by AloversGaming » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:01 am

Danfun64 wrote:
AloversGaming wrote:after watching "Friends Return" I was fine with Japanese, and felt excited to watch Battle of the Gods in Japanese upon its release. Since then I have become a massive fan of the original, and increasingly more annoyed at any and all dubs of the franchise.
Surely there must be one English dub of the DB franchise you genuinely enjoy.
Well, my issue is with altered scripts, not always the voice actors. I LOVE Peter Kelamis' voice work, he blows me away - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuViG2-w_To SO SEXY

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:53 am

It certainly helps that that video is uncut and well dubbed and directed!

But you havent adressed my concerns! I mean its not like you HAVE to but I would like to hear what you say about that.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:28 am

I basically grew older, became wiser and had a much broader perspective of what made voice acting "good". Once I could afford to buy the home release of the show and watched the original FUNi dub back to back with the original Japanese audio, it became much more clear the gulf in different between the English and Japanese performances.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:02 pm

I have two reasons for why I wanted to watch the Japanese version: 1) As a kid, I wanted to watch them because I was so fascinated with every aspect of the series, that I wanted to watch everything I could from it (that's why I got the Spanish version as well even though I don't really speak Spanish), and 2) To experience the series with its intended dialog and music.

Out of respect and the fact that the dub and original are so different, I can watch the dub and I can watch the Japanese version and to me, it's like two different series. I will always respect the Japanese version and it gives me the warm, fuzzy feeling (just like the dub does, to be quite honest). I'm not fooling myself or lying to myself, claiming that the dub is good -- no, it's really awful. But damn it, it's my awful dub that I have a lot of nostalgia for. So you'd never catch me ever even coming close to saying that the dub is a "good enough" way to experience DB, DBZ, DBGT, and the movies. I watch the Japanese version happily.

However, without nostalgia and that "warm and fuzzy" feeling, it's a different ballgame. I started watching my Kai Blu-rays in Japanese, but somewhere at the Namek arc, I went, "Well... why am I doing this?" I didn't have a nostalgia for Kai per se. It didn't feel timeless and epic like DB/Z/etc. did. So that took away my almost need to watch it in Japanese. Then, I thought about it and the scripts are fairly accurate, so there's none of that "It's like two different shows" feeling anymore. So basically, since then, I have not watched Kai in Japanese because there's no reason for me to anymore. There's no reason for me to read the subtitles, but I can actually divert my full attention to what's happening on the screen. And if I want, I can pull away and do something else while it's in the background and still be up-to-speed on what's going on.

I'm not huge into anime; I like a very small percentage of it. I'm not such a huge fan that I care about seeing it in its originality -- I'm fine with a dub. I had my reasons for watching DB/Z/etc. in Japanese, but those reasons are gone now (with the new material, I mean). And while I will always respect the Japanese version, now that Funimation is doing an accurate script and not changing the music, I am just fine watching a dub-only version. So when I start collecting the Final Chapters of Kai or Super, I sincerely doubt that I'll ever really switch it to Japanese. I respect all of the Japanese actors and I know that they put in a lot of hard work, but it's not my native tongue and I'm not that much of a fan to really care about the pure, raw original content. I'm happy just being able to follow along with the story.

Realistically, it's no different than other forms of media. When I read Three Musketeers, I don't need to read the French version. When I play Metal Gear Solid, I don't need to play the Japanese version. When I listen to a Spanish song that's been translated in English, I don't need to listen to the Spanish version (although they usually sound much better). No, I'm good with following along in my native tongue. So that's what all of the new-era DB stuff is to me.

By the way, it's interesting to wonder about if Funimation never totally pooped the bed with its original dub of DBZ, would there be so many people that would care about seeing it in Japanese? That's an interesting thing to ponder about. I know that there would be a ton of people who would still go out and buy those fansub VHS tapes, but I feel like the majority of us never did -- just look at this thread and you'll see that most people's experience of the Japanese version came from Funimation's releases.

Puaru
Banned

Post by Puaru » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:49 pm

I always want to watch movies and shows in their original language (unless it's something with a dub that I have a nostalgic connection to) but in the case of Dragon Ball I ended up initally seeing the english Funimation dub only because my friend who introduced me to the series wanted us to watch that one instead of the original. As a result I, like so many other people, initially got used to those voices. Eventually though my own ideal of watching things in their original language led me to convince my friend that we should start doing the same with Dragon Ball, although at that point we had already watched most of Z. I believe the first part of the franchise I watched in Japanese was the Tenshinhan tournament in DB. This way, Goku's japanese voice didn't have the same shock effect on me that it did to a lot of people who first heard the grown up version of the character with it, as the high-pitched female voice is easier to reconcile coming from a child.

Nowadays I would never watch any part of the franchise in any other language than japanese. The Funimation dub in retrospective comes of as almost unwatchable due to it's over-the-top cartoony and strained voices (looking at Vegeta, Piccolo, Yairobi and Karin) and it's onslaught of puns.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:28 pm

A simple lack of anything coming from Funimation made me to go the latest Japanese DB feature; this was Battle of Gods, back in 2013. From then I've alternated between subs and dubs of DB.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:44 pm

I was never the person who didn't have the same shock effect on when they first heard the Japanese voice of Goku. Most casual people got into DBZ on Toonami in 1998 or 1999. Meanwhile I never like DBZ from 1998-2000 because I found the show annoying and it was always talked about at my school every day. So when I became a fan of DBZ, I wanted to track down the Japanese version when I got into DBZ in early 2001 because I found out that the show was badly edit in the US. Seeing something in Japanese as a kid was really cool because it was uncut and different.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Envy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Envy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:49 pm

Nothing "forced" me. I just heard that the dub was pretty bad. Once Dragon Ball Z began streaming on Hulu I watched through it all subbed.

I'm very glad I did now. I couldn't have imagined that there was ever going to be a new Dragon Ball series that would make me want to watch it subbed but here we are.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:43 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I'm sorry but ITS REALLY difficult to read all that without any paragraphs. Separate some of that block of text into paragraphs please.
For me it was a Little Different, as a Kid in 6th or 7th Grade it was the First time I got into Dragon Ball through my Native Hindi Dub of Dragon Ball and it was the Goku vs Freeza Fight and I also remember we had DBZ Toys in Happy Meal for the first and last time so I had the ssj Goku Toy and I was like when will this guy appear in the show because I didn't knew shit about Dragon Ball at that time so one of my Friends told me this Golden Haired Warrior is same black coloured spiky haired Dude who is fighting Freeza so I just got hooked to TV to see what happens and as I kept on watching it I noticed this show was different to the previous shows I watched like "Pokemon","Beyblade","Digimon",etc. And a lot more violent.

Then from there on I became a fan although the Hindi dub was based off Ocean/FUNi Dubs but for the Saiyan and initial part of Namek Arc we had Shuki Levy music but from the point FUNimation took over we had Kikuchi's Music but because they had to match the nonstop music atmosphere of Faulconer's Music in Hindi dub.

they placed random kikuchi track in silent moments as well where there was no music in Japanese version but still there was something about kikuchi music that was unique and this is almost a decade old Experience still I love the kikuchi music and from there to the point where kid Boo is born they stopped showing dbz in India and slowly I started loosing interest in it because at that time I was almost a Teenager but there was no Internet access and also my curiosity was less but I had this game called DBZ Mugen Edition 2007 which had a mix of Japanese, Latin and English voices and most of the time it was the Kikuchi music so I remember playing that game a lot as a child and sometimes after watching a Certain Episode I would play the game with the character featured in that episode and all.

but as a child I wouldn't care much about Voices as long as it was Dbz to me but after sometimes I lost interest in that game and as dbz wasn't airing on TV so I stopped caring for the show for almost 5 years until in College one of my friend reintroduced me to the show as he had some movies and he used to Download DB Super Episode from the Lab and slowly I got my interest back into the show .

I remember in 2015 we had full Episodes and sagas of DBZ uploaded on YouTube not only in English but Japanese as well so I watched all of Android and cell saga in Dub on YouTube and later on Buu Saga too and initially I used to think the dub is awesome and all until I watched some Super Jaiyan's Dub changes Clips and also some Geekdom Videos and later on I got to know how the dub changes a lot of shit.

the 2008 Special "Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return" was my first exposure to the complete Japanese episode and I slowly started watching Japanese Version Clips on YouTube and eventually started preferring it due to the Audio, the Music, the oozaru roar and also they have silence in sub which adds a lot to the scene and then there were some Channels which used to meme the FUNi dub and then I got to know Kai Dub wasn't bad and so and now I prefer Japanese version more with The Exception of Kai Dub
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

elijah310

Post by elijah310 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:53 pm

Learning about all the dub changes FUNimation made to the series. I wanted to experience it in it's purest form possible. That and I normally watch any other anime in Japanese with eng subs, but with Dragon Ball, my first exposure to it was through the dub. Don't get me wrong, I still like the dub and watch it sometimes, but the Japanese version is my go to version for watching the series now.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:42 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I'm sorry but ITS REALLY difficult to read all that without any paragraphs. Separate some of that block of text into paragraphs please.
For me it was a Little Different, as a Kid in 6th or 7th Grade it was the First time I got into Dragon Ball through my Native Hindi Dub of Dragon Ball and it was the Goku vs Freeza Fight and I also remember we had DBZ Toys in Happy Meal for the first and last time so I had the ssj Goku Toy and I was like when will this guy appear in the show because I didn't knew shit about Dragon Ball at that time so one of my Friends told me this Golden Haired Warrior is same black coloured spiky haired Dude who is fighting Freeza so I just got hooked to TV to see what happens and as I kept on watching it I noticed this show was different to the previous shows I watched like "Pokemon","Beyblade","Digimon",etc. And a lot more violent.

Then from there on I became a fan although the Hindi dub was based off Ocean/FUNi Dubs but for the Saiyan and initial part of Namek Arc we had Shuki Levy music but from the point FUNimation took over we had Kikuchi's Music but because they had to match the nonstop music atmosphere of Faulconer's Music in Hindi dub.

they placed random kikuchi track in silent moments as well where there was no music in Japanese version but still there was something about kikuchi music that was unique and this is almost a decade old Experience still I love the kikuchi music and from there to the point where kid Boo is born they stopped showing dbz in India and slowly I started loosing interest in it because at that time I was almost a Teenager but there was no Internet access and also my curiosity was less but I had this game called DBZ Mugen Edition 2007 which had a mix of Japanese, Latin and English voices and most of the time it was the Kikuchi music so I remember playing that game a lot as a child and sometimes after watching a Certain Episode I would play the game with the character featured in that episode and all.

but as a child I wouldn't care much about Voices as long as it was Dbz to me but after sometimes I lost interest in that game and as dbz wasn't airing on TV so I stopped caring for the show for almost 5 years until in College one of my friend reintroduced me to the show as he had some movies and he used to Download DB Super Episode from the Lab and slowly I got my interest back into the show .

I remember in 2015 we had full Episodes and sagas of DBZ uploaded on YouTube not only in English but Japanese as well so I watched all of Android and cell saga in Dub on YouTube and later on Buu Saga too and initially I used to think the dub is awesome and all until I watched some Super Jaiyan's Dub changes Clips and also some Geekdom Videos and later on I got to know how the dub changes a lot of shit.

the 2008 Special "Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return" was my first exposure to the complete Japanese episode and I slowly started watching Japanese Version Clips on YouTube and eventually started preferring it due to the Audio, the Music, the oozaru roar and also they have silence in sub which adds a lot to the scene and then there were some Channels which used to meme the FUNi dub and then I got to know Kai Dub wasn't bad and so and now I prefer Japanese version more with The Exception of Kai Dub

Thank you! Your experience is highly interesting to me but I couldnt read it like it was before.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:36 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:

Thank you! Your experience is highly interesting to me but I couldnt read it like it was before.
It's nice to hear someone showed interest in reading my experience
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30