What made you switch over to the Japanese version?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: What made you switch over to the Japanese version?

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:15 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: That's because they haven't watched the uncut Kai dub and have only really watched the edited Kai dub.
Fans on Facebook and YouTube are these kinds of fans who only watched Z Dub and judge Kai on Nicketoons version.
Those kinds of fans tend to watch shows on those sites, not on the TV.
They have a pre conceived notion about Kai that it's a watered down kiddy version of DBZ.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:17 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: Fans on Facebook and YouTube are these kinds of fans who only watched Z Dub and judge Kai on Nicketoons version.
They have a pre conceived notion about Kai that it's a watered down kiddy version of DBZ.
Yeah, I know that. You don't need to tell me that.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:18 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: Fans on Facebook and YouTube are these kinds of fans who only watched Z Dub and judge Kai on Nicketoons version.
Not to mention rumours and misinformation spread in this fandom like wildfire *cough* Toriyama being forced to not make Gohan the main character *cough*
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:26 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Those kinds of fans tend to watch shows on those sites, not on the TV.
Not to mention rumours and misinformation spread in this fandom like wildfire *cough* Toriyama being forced to not make Gohan the main character *cough*
Or them saying Toriyama wanted to end the show after Freeza Arc.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:04 am

Like many, it was Dragon Ball Super that finally made me prefer the Japanese version. I decided at the time the series started to watch the Japanese version, in spite of the fact that I had always been a dub fan, because I didn’t want to wait around for Funimation to dub it. While at first I didn’t like the voices, they grew on me. Then, at some point I decided to rewatch the the first arc of the Dragon Ball Anime, just for fun. Because I had been beginning to like the Japanese voices, I chose to watch in Japanese. I ended up really enjoying it, much more than I had previously, and ended up watching the entirety of DB and Z in Japanese. Now I can’t go back to the dub, because the Japanese version really is so much better. And for the record, I usually prefer dubs in general for Anime, but Dragon Ball is now the exception.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:41 am

Life is weird...

I've watched all of Super in Japanese and have yet to watch the FUNImation Dub, nor WILL I watch it until they release a complete collection.... Started in Japanese, and I'll end it in Japanese.
El Conejo Malo

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:08 pm

For me it was the filler episode where Gohan meets the robot. I had decided at the time to give the Japanese version an actual chance. It was good and evetything (but the Raditz stuff bores me in general) but when Gohan got hit on the head by a rock, Nozawa made the funniest noise and it's the first time I really took in what she did for the characters she voiced. I've been loving it ever since. If I see a picture of any Dragon Ball character now I hear their Japanese voice and that's pretty cool

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:19 pm

Super made me do it.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:32 pm

omaro34 wrote:Super made me do it.
Funny thing is, that's kind of the TL;DR of why I made the switch originally, and basically from the word go I was on-board, and could never go back to watching the Funimation dub.

(Having said this, as many will have noticed by now, I will always have a largely nostalgia-driven unconditional love for the Ocean dub, so I'm always happy to return to that)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:59 pm

Despite cutting my teeth on Toonami DBZ in 2000, I had early exposure to the Japanese version. Always having computers in the house, I spent an inordinate amount of time reading about the Japanese version and watching short, pixelated videos that took 20 minutes to download. Greg Werner’s DBZ Info Page (which, to my shock is still online.) did a lot to indoctrinate me into it, and I remember being put off by the changes/censorship made by FUNimation. Even then, I thought it was strange that some Americans with no connection and little knowledge of the series would make so many changes. I weathered the FUNi storm for a few years until I could get my hands on the DVD’s and watch the Japanese version proper, and it’s been about fifteen years or so and haven’t looked back.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:07 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
They're not technically wrong if they're talking about the original Japanese Z vs Japanese Kai.

As for me, I started with the Funimation dub of Kai on Nicktoons in like 2010-ish, near the end of the Namek arc (NOT the Freeza arc), with Vegeta teaming up with Gohan and Kuririn. At that time, watching reruns, I had the nonsensical idea that Piccolo and Nappa were the same person, and that Nappa turned good in the end. I eventually gave up on Kai early on in the Artificial Humans arc, when Nicktoons had a listing for a new episode...but ran an old one. The wait was too much.

I eventually returned to Dragon Ball as Kai ran on Toonami. And in October 2016, I joined Kanzenshuu. I eventually finally switched to the original Japanese version out of frustration that every dub (minus the Pioneer movies 1-3 and Funi Kai) is ridiculously inaccurate in January of this year.
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:14 pm

I haven't I may start soon.
Sailor Haumea wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Those kinds of fans tend to watch shows on those sites, not on the TV.
They're not technically wrong if they're talking about the original Japanese Z vs Japanese Kai.
They're almost ALWAYS without fail talking about English dubs at all. The fact they mention Blue Popo is a dead giveaway they think Kai is just the Toonzai edited version. Putting Kai on Nicktoons and especially Toonzai was a huge mistake and ruined Kai's reputation in the West that only started getting fixed by Toonami airing the uncensored version.

Also Japanese Kai censored like what? Two especially gory shots out of the 8000+ ones and some baby penis shots. That hardly makes it a watered down kiddy version. We can all live not seeing Gohan's penis guys.
Last edited by MasenkoHA on Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:16 pm

I got tired of crappy dubs so figured I'd just go with the original Japanese version instead and I love it more than any other version out there, well, maybe except Ocean Dub. :P
LightBing wrote:I come from the European Portuguese
That for some reason sounds so wrong to me (it kind of feels like self-censorship). I'm a Westerner/European and of Portuguese descent but I don't say "I'm European Portuguese" or "it's dubbed in Portuguese European" but rather Portuguese and/or Portuguese of Portugal (or just Portuguese). The Brazilian-Portuguese language and its people aren't called "American Portuguese" (or Portuguese of the Americas) as that would just be very misguided -- Instead, they're Brazilian whom speak Brazilian-Portuguese, the aspect 'Brazilian' is the keyword here as that's the colonized Portuguese they speak in Brazil.

Had the Portuguese not made its way to the country that's now called Brazil, then perhaps the folks there would be speaking some interpretation of the Spanish language (Brazilian-Spanish?) or stick with the Native Indian language. But this isn't a conversation to be had on Kanzenshuu.

I have a pal in Brazil who've told me there's a lot of Brazilian-Japanese in Brazil so that's very interesting but on their soap operas (not that I watch a whole lot of it, anyway) I don't ever recall seeing a Brazilian-Japanese.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:31 pm

I switched over the moment Vegeta and Kuririn said "mondo cool" in the original FUNi dub.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:54 pm

I’ve never seen a reason to switch. Sometimes I watch the original FUNi dub, sometimes I watch the Kai dub, sometimes I watch the original Japanese. It depends on my mood. I personally find something I like in all of them so I enjoy all of them for different reasons.
We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:11 pm

ulisa wrote:I’ve never seen a reason to switch. Sometimes I watch the original FUNi dub, sometimes I watch the Kai dub, sometimes I watch the original Japanese. It depends on my mood. I personally find something I like in all of them so I enjoy all of them for different reasons.
Actually, I do that too. But I find that on my more serious re-watches, I go for the japanese and when I'm bored and just want to watch Dragon Ball casually because there is nothing else to do, I'll just turn on a random episode in the FUNi dub (partly because I don't have to pay attention to any subtitles so it helps my multi-tasking). But also because I do like the FUNi dub in certain instances even if I feel it is inferior.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:55 pm

Can't remember for sure but I think I already posted my reason somewhere in here. But I just learned that my friend has switched over to Japanese after being an original Funi-only fan for years. He got used to the Japanese voices watching Super and said he went back and watched some old English Z episodes and the dub and score just didn't sound as good as he remembered. He's made a full switch to Japanese now, which is cool because he used to nearly gag when he'd hear the Japanese voices or music in the past.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:39 am

Well my story is almost as old as Dragon Ball itself

Dragon Ball began its run in 1988 here in France, dub in French I watched it with my older brother who already watched anime such as Grendizer or Captain Harlock, at this time there was a show who struck an whole generation during its run called Club Dorothée, this French show was phenomenal for its audiance, because between 1987 and 1997, the Club Dorothée was watched by an average of 55% of 4-14 year olds and achieved up to 60% of audience on the whole public with peaks at 86%. A record never equaled since. At its peak, the show will have up to 26 hours of air time per week and more than 40 during the school holidays, Dorothée being, moreover, the program director of the TF1 Youth Unit.

Mind you that at this time there was only 6 main channel in France and that cable television where quasi nonexistant !

So it was during those time of my Childhood and Teenagehood that I got hooked with Japanese anime such as Dragon Ball, Saint Seiya, Ramna 1/2, Captain Tsubasa, City Hunter etc etc....

When the Club Dorothée ceased to exist I mostly got into TV Series such as Buffy the Vampire slayer, it was until 2003 and my second divorce that I got back to animation because at this time I quit school for good, since Internet and streaming service improved a lot, I started to search for Dragon Ball and Gundam, Dragon Ball first because I was never able to watch the last ten or so remaining episodes for the Buu saga and I happen to fall to the subbed version of the show, so I watched the whole stuff through and through.

And what a breath, everything was amazing no censorship, Vegeta's voice was outstanding and Yamcha voice's too, then I got hooked again, and at this time I started to watch anime mainly with Japanese voice. Since then I am at almost 400 anime watched and countless Tokusatsu show in my plate too.

Only deception is that I can't happen to find the first two Zoids anime with japanese voice actoring. :think:
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:14 am

PsionicWarrior wrote:First version I've seen was French dub, then English dub, and lastly in original language. What made me switch was IIRC some scene I saw on youtube which was subbed and I just found Nozawa's screams to be absolutely fantastic. The kid voice bothered me at first, but got used to it pretty fast and also love the symbolism that his voice somehow reflects his kinda immature mind for some things, in my opinion.
Also the music, original score just beats it all.
But the French dub has the original music.

But to answer the topic: Internet in 1996 with sites that sold VHS fansubs of Dbgt made me watch the Japanese version. I never really switched over though, because while I prefer the Japanese version, I still enjoy Kai and super in French.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:37 am

sangofe wrote:But the French dub has the original music.
Except for the OP/ED which is custom made by AB Groupe.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.