What made you switch over to the Japanese version?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Prince of Vegetables

Re: What made you switch over to the Japanese version?

Post by Prince of Vegetables » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:45 pm

I don't really remember why. The only thing I really remember is a few years ago I couldn't stand Nozawa and disliked many people who did. Oh times have changed
Ossu! Ora Gokū

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:52 pm

After watching so many better dubs for anime shows the old funi dub just looked so bad and dated by comparison. At that point I could only watch the better quality Kai dub because I still hated Nozawas goku. I wanted to experience more of the show in a more consistent fashion things like the movies which vary in accuracy. So I watched a bunch of clips on youtube and after a while I began to love nozawas goku at all ages and kikuchi's score.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

ChibiGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChibiGoku » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:44 am

From what I remember, I had been following various fansites back in the day (remember Planet Namek?), including this site when it was originally named DaizenshuuEX, as well as DBZ Uncensored. Many of these sites had open my eyes that there were many modifications made to Dragon Ball Z, and made me want to seek out the series in Japanese. Plus, having seen the dub up until a certain point, I wanted to start watching a bit further ahead, so I ultimately ended tracking down fansubs for the series after a certain point. This included the movies, Boo arc in Z, Dragon Ball, GT, etc., and despite most people's opinion of Goku's voice, I seemingly immediately fell in love with it.

I will admit, the music took some time getting used to it. Was a bit of cultural shock in my opinion. I had a similar experience with Digimon as well, in this regards (though not Pokemon, which earlier on kept most of the Japanese music). This was all around 2000-2001ish. I was about 11-12.

Bear

Post by Bear » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:10 am

I had just bought the season six blu-ray, only being an extremely new fan, and watched the dub until either Goku and Gohan returned to Kame House, or when Gohan was fighting Tao Pai Pai. It was either Goku saying "Oh hi babe," or "General Tao..."

Shudders...

, that made me switch. I knew that the dub was inaccurate, but this was some of my first real exposure outside of clips on YouTube, and I was not impressed. Been Dub and Kai only ever since.
Big Green: And you say you're the prince of the Space Warriors.
Vejituh: Oh Big Green, face reali-TY!

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:25 am

Quality. I started watching DBZ in 1997 at a young age, and began collecting the movie DVD's in 2003. I gave the Japanese version a chance for various reasons, and have since known I would be happy with the Japanese version exclusively for the rest of my life.

Unless we include Abridged. I need that.

Vorige Waffe
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vorige Waffe » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:59 pm

Pretty much switched over around the time I picked up some Funimation bi-lingual single DVDs in 2002, mainly because I wanted an accurate script, plus the quality and inconsistency of the various dubbed versions became a chore to keep up with over time, not to mention listen too. I still have a soft spot for the in-house Funi and Ocean Group dubs, but if I want to really watch some Dragon Ball, it's the original Japanese all the way.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:17 pm

People kept using names like, "Bejita," "Kakarotto," "Trunkasu," "Fuureeza," "Bloomer," and "Kuririn" so I wanted to see if that was all true in the original.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:32 pm

precita wrote:People kept using names like, "Bejita," "Kakarotto," "Trunkasu," "Fuureeza," "Bloomer," and "Kuririn" so I wanted to see if that was all true in the original.
I don't know if your trolling, but Bejita and Trunkasu would be wrong anyway because they ruin the intended pun, Its just the way the Japanese pronounce things.

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:21 am

precita wrote:People kept using names like, "Bejita," "Kakarotto," "Trunkasu," "Fuureeza," "Bloomer," and "Kuririn" so I wanted to see if that was all true in the original.
Kakarotto isnt wrong. Otherwise why the heck is Vegito written with a To at the end? Also the Weaboo spelling of Freeza is Furiza
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:57 pm

Kanzenshuu. Eventually...
Oh boy what a 4+ years it has been for me and my fandom. When I first joined Kanzenshuu I was like cool and place to talk DB that seems pretty cool. Then everyone here was trashing on the old dub and praising the Kai dub, I would be getting told of for replying to posts with singular words and then I had in my head this was some elitists forum. Then one day I dunno what but I decided to try Kai properly and then realised I was wrong about the dub and that slowly became a turning point for me. I remember I had the "I am hope" speech signatured for a while... yeah.

Anyway of course the only reason I joined was because of BoG and so when it finally released on BD, I had to watch regardless of no dub so I did, it was an okay experience I remember being blown away Kōichi Yamadera performance of Beerus and while I disliked Nozawa I do remember me saying I liked her screams. Then there was the Blu-ray sets that more or less regressed me into a "dubbie" and I felt the need to defend these sets felt I had to go and buy these... now I recently just sold them...

But anyway then comes 2015 and Fukkatsu no F aka Resurrection "F" and Dragon Ball Super and basically a new DB series I had to watch like BoG regardless and so I live-streamed basically most eps until the latter Trunks arc and this was when I truly became comfortable to the Japanese cast, watched RAW everything week made me concentrate more on their voices and performances and eventually I became accustomed to them. Primarily I still prefer dubbed (Kai standard onwards of course) but I can switch between the two no problem. Either way I am glad we finally have an English dub that has the same experience as the Japanese but with a flavour on it’s own so it stands apart and that is what a good dub should accomplish since it is an adaptation and they aren’t supposed be 100% 1:1 otherwise it would be pointless.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:32 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Kakarotto isnt wrong. Otherwise why the heck is Vegito written with a To at the end? Also the Weaboo spelling of Freeza is Furiza
Vegetto. But yeah, if one wants that name to make any sense whatsoever, one really HAS to go with Kakarotto, or alternately Kakarrotto to preserve the "Carrot"-pun better to. If one doesn't keep that last -to, then Vegetto makes no sense. Which incidentally is why I for one have no particular problem with Viz's choice to rename the character Vegerot. Yeah it sounds decidedly less cool, but at least it's consistent with them calling Goku Kakarot.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:38 am

Vegard Aune wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Vegetto. But yeah, if one wants that name to make any sense whatsoever, one really HAS to go with Kakarotto, or alternately Kakarrotto to preserve the "Carrot"-pun better to. If one doesn't keep that last -to, then Vegetto makes no sense. Which incidentally is why I for one have no particular problem with Viz's choice to rename the character Vegerot. Yeah it sounds decidedly less cool, but at least it's consistent with them calling Goku Kakarot.
Eh, I think "Veget" would have been a better choice it rolls of the tongue a lot better than "Vegerot" plus it is not like "Vegetto" is called "Vegerotto "anyway that they had to keep the "rot". But anyway I think Vegetto works fine even with "Kakarot" as "Kakarot" still as an "o" and "t" already there re-arrange it with "Vegeta" get rid of the "a" and bam you have "Vegetto"! Especially now since FUNi corrected the spelling to "Vegetto".

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:20 am

We got a second version of Budokai 3 over here, the Limited Edition version which allowed you to play the game with the Japanese voices.
Despite having played games with the Japanese voices before this, for some reason this one really struck me, and I sorta fell in love with them.
Started to transition bit-by-bit from dub to sub from this point.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:41 am

Authenticity.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:27 am

In a way it was because I'd had a bit of a break from the series, and the Viz manga was a sort of stepping stone. I watching the Ocean/Funi/Westwood Frankenstein dub of DBZ we got in the UK back in the day, then years later when I'd got into other anime as a teenager, read some manga, I thought "hey, I always loved Dragon Ball Z, I'll read the Dragon Ball manga", so I bought the box set of the first 16 volumes, and later the "Z" one with the last 26.

I'd already heard plenty of criticisms of the dub regarding censorship and not being true to the source material, and based on this translation of the manga those proved to be very accurate. What really struck me, and what I really liked about the Viz manga, was that it felt so much more authentic and Japanese like the other manga/anime I was familiar with, whereas the DBZ I watched back in the day always felt like an American "action cartoon" to me. That, and things like actually understanding what Kami was supposed to represent, which completely changed things.

I'd got the DB bug back then. I ended up buying the blue bricks, Funi Dragon Boxes Z, and green bricks, over the course of about 18 months as I watched them, and of course I watched them in Japanese. A lot of the time I'd rewatch episodes in English out of curiosity, but that was about it.

I still feel nostalgic about some of the dub music. When I think of DBZ, or that part of my childhood, I think of Goku's fight with Freeza and the atmosphere the "music" brought to the spirit bomb and countdown sections. Nothing could beat that tension as a kid.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:44 pm

Italian fan here. I grew up watching the endless re-airings of Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and to a lesser extent Dragon Ball GT, all in Italian of course. I loved and still love Paolo Torrisi's performance as adult Goku, I consider him to be on par with Masako Nozawa. So I consider myself lucky I grew up with such a good dub but, unfortunately, like many other dubs, the Italian dub was also guilty of not being true to the original.
When the 2008 Special, Episode of Bardock and Battle of Gods came out I was forced to switch to the Japanese version. I had to watch them as a Dragon Ball fan and I must say that I never disliked Masako Nozawa's performance. Maybe I was used to her because I already played the DBZ games countless of times, or maybe I was already used to Goku not sounding way too manly because of Paolo Torrisi.
Fact is ever since I watched BoG I have liked the Japanese cast and with RoF and then Super I was forced to watch the serie in the original language. I also can't stand rewatching DB and DBZ in their entirety because of all the fillers, so I had to switch to DB Recut and DB Kai.
This doesn't mean I have completely switched to the Japanese version but nowadays that's how I watch the series. Though I will still watch Super's Italian dub for nostalgia and recently I've been watching some Italian dub DBZ episodes as they are airing it once again.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:11 pm

For me it was à lot of things.
first thé censor as french dub is very pitiful translate and with lot of cut (ab group was selling to people thé most censored french version to people ) .

i was also discovering some others animé subbed and i was starting to love japanese uncensored dub and voices.

Added to that japanese voices was already sometimes in the french dub and i was already loving that but no way french editor released japanese version of them.

One day in my game shop , i found japanese dvd bootleg of db saint seiya Ken and City hunter series and i buyed some of them with à friends and it was à réal rediscovering of those series even with all bootleg issues

It s what make me switch to japanese dub for me french is only now nostalgie things

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:11 am

I never specifically "switched" as I was always happy to watch both. But when I finally liked DBZ enough to buy the DVDs it was just natural for me to want to hear the original version.

DBZ was the first anime I bothered buying and watching in Japanese but it was certainly not the first thing I watched with subtitles. Even before getting into anime I was into foreign film and watching foreign film dubbed was unspeakable to me.

Of course animation is not the same it's all "dubbed" in the end. But wanting to watch something in its original language is always going to be my preferred choice.

And while I do enjoy the Funi dub I do prefer Dragon Ball in Japanese. Just on one note I kind of found the Faulconer soundtrack could be a bit over done. I liked how the Japanese dub knew when to use silence. But now in general I tend to prefer anime in Japanese. I can enjoy a dub as a alternative but if I only have one choice I will always choose the original Japanese version.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:29 pm

Kinokima wrote:I never specifically "switched" as I was always happy to watch both. But when I finally liked DBZ enough to buy the DVDs it was just natural for me to want to hear the original version.

DBZ was the first anime I bothered buying and watching in Japanese but it was certainly not the first thing I watched with subtitles. Even before getting into anime I was into foreign film and watching foreign film dubbed was unspeakable to me.

Of course animation is not the same it's all "dubbed" in the end. But wanting to watch something in its original language is always going to be my preferred choice.

And while I do enjoy the Funi dub I do prefer Dragon Ball in Japanese. Just on one note I kind of found the Faulconer soundtrack could be a bit over done. I liked how the Japanese dub knew when to use silence. But now in general I tend to prefer anime in Japanese. I can enjoy a dub as a alternative but if I only have one choice I will always choose the original Japanese version.

I feel the same way right now, I feel like I can enjoy both without feeling the need to "commit" to one side.

I hate the idea of sub vs dub wars because many people fall in between, some people feel they have been insulted by preferring one over the other. The term weeb is thrown to carelessly towards people who just want to watch the show in it's original language, on the other hand some dub hater's have unrealistic standards for dubbing a foreign cartoon and nitpick the smallest things. In the end the Japanese version is the original so it comes first for me and the dub is a secondary way to enjoy the series.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:49 pm

After a couple of months of getting into Z on the season sets I simply switched to the Japanese dub out of curiosity to hear the original version.