What made you switch over to the Japanese version?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: What made you switch over to the Japanese version?

Post by Bardo117 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:01 pm

Nothing will ever make me switch over to the Japanese Dub.
El Conejo Malo

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:24 pm

Bardo117 wrote:Nothing will ever make me switch over to the Japanese Dub.
Why you dislike the Japanese version?
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:28 pm

I can't pinpoint the exact moment I first heard the Japanese version but it was probably some time after I finished watching DB & DBZ (probably around the time I was moving away from English dubs in general and looking up the Japanese versions of anime instead), anyway the thing that made me start to like the Japanese cast was that I had gotten so used to the old English dub that my mind had categorised the series as "just one of those series that has corny acting and dialogue and that's just the way it is" but then when I listened to the Japanese version I could clearly hear that the actors all put much more passion into their performances and were way more experienced, plus during the serious moments they were able to sound serious, with moments of genuine anger, panic and sadness that I had rarely, if ever, felt in the old dub I had been watching up until that point.

I also am very much aware that the dub cast has gotten better, I've heard how good they are in DBZK (only in clips, not actually seen it properly) and in Battle of Gods & Resurrection F but nowadays I only think of the Japanese side of the series. I was even planning to watch the English dub of Super but just didn't feel like it in the end after the first 2 episodes.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:25 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
Why you dislike the Japanese version?

I don't dislike it, and I enjoy it periodically sometimes. But I wouldn't switch to a purely Japanese dub, for what?
El Conejo Malo

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:03 pm

The Japanese version is not a dub. It is the original version.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:14 pm

I didn't switch? I just grew up with the Japanese version and caught the meh dub on Cartoon Network at the end of the 90s.
I had a few head scratching moments with the dub, such as...the music changed "obvious", but most of all it was the cheesy dialogue :lol:
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:34 pm

Bajosexto wrote:
CRIES TEAR OF FREAKING JOY!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:26 pm

Bajosexto wrote:

Has to be considered a dub because the actors themselves aren't animated characters. You can't call Star Wars an English Dub because it was never dubbed to begin with, the actors themselves speak English throughout. But with an Anime/Cartoon, they have to get Voice Actors to *keyword* DUB over the animated footage.

In other words, the process of dubbing was used therefore it IS a dub. The original Dub none the less, but still a Dub.
El Conejo Malo

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:58 pm

If you want to get really pedantic about it, they're often (some? all the?) times recording to no footage at all. Maybe animatics, maybe just storyboards. Nozawa mentioned how recording for Kai was totally different because they actually had animation to watch along with while they recorded.

People referring to the original Japanese version as a "dub" is often seen as a lame, back-handed attempt to "dismiss" it as just some random other version of the show.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:20 pm

Bardo117 wrote:You can't call Star Wars an English Dub because it was never dubbed to begin with, the actors themselves speak English throughout.
Actually, there are a LOT of characters in Star Wars who are dubbed by other actors.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:34 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
Bardo117 wrote:You can't call Star Wars an English Dub because it was never dubbed to begin with, the actors themselves speak English throughout.
Actually, there are a LOT of characters in Star Wars who are dubbed by other actors.
Darth Vader himself seems like the easiest example too, since it's at least three people playing him in the original trilogy.

Anyway, while calling the Japanese version a 'dub' in terms of semantics isn't wrong, per say - they were working with more than just their scripts, even if it was animatics, than is usually done in US animation (or at least used to be done, not sure if the process is entirely the same nowadays) - it definitely shouldn't ever be used in a manner to claim the Japanese version isn't the 'original' version. It's entirely possible to like an adaptation without trying to devalue the original as the original, so hopefully not too many people have tried using it as such.

More on topic to the thread, I wouldn't say I've ever 100% switched over - I'm more in an equal footing or half and half situation nowadays - but it was basically the same reason it was for a lot of people, I wanted to see what all the fuss was about the original version. Though, way before I ever actually made an effort to watch all of it in Japanese at least once, I'd already seen a few of the movies and select episodes, just to hear the original music, which I was curious about even back in the Falcouner days. There was also the fact that there's some things we've never gotten, and likely never will, so to watch them, you HAVE to go to the Japanese version. Being a completionist at heart for most things I really like, there wasn't much debate with myself to be had.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:54 pm

So what I'm seeing is that it technically IS a dub, but since it is the original, it can't be considered a dub.
El Conejo Malo

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:12 pm

I think Herms (or at least I think it was Herms) put it best. While it's not technically wrong to call it a dub, the term is often used to refer to foreign language adaptations (otherwise the phrase dub vs. sub wouldn't exist). And most people who refer to it as "the Japanese dub" tend to be non-fans who, through subtle terminology, are trying to put it on the same footing as their favorite dub. So it's not comparing the original production and a foreign adaptation of said production. It's comparing the Japanese dub and the English dub. It's misleading in that it's presumably using two definitions of "dub" in the same comparison. It aims to obscure the fact that one is an offshoot of the other.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:14 pm

No its not a dub Bardo. You seem to asociate "Voice Acting in animation" with "Dubbing" which is really wrong. And I'm not saying this because I care that you dont like the Japanese version. Knock yourself out on the dub if you want but the JAPANESE VERSION OF DRAGON BALL IS NOT A DUB.

If you love the dub so such just say "I prefer the dub I like over the original its my opinion end of story" but the Japanese Version not being a dub is not subjective.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:49 pm

"Dubbing, mixing, or re-recording is a post-production process used in film making and video production in which additional or supplementary recordings are "mixed" with original production sound to create the finished soundtrack."

Obviously by definition, it IS a Dub because the animated characters don't have actual voices. Actors walk into a studio, record their voice(With a bit of context to create the right voice) and then it is later added to the video(both created by two entirely separate portions of the studio)

My definition of dubbing is pretty much anytime somebody inserts voices/sound to a piece that originally doesn't have sound. In the Case of Star-Wars, Darth Vader is voiced by someone who isn't actually inside the costume. And I get that Luke, Han, C3PO's voices are recorded using separate devices and later mixed and integrated into the film, but since it is the actors natural voice and stemming from the actual performance of the scene I don't consider that 'dubbing' to the degree of Dragonball(or any other animated show)

You guys are confusing two entirely separate processes of dubbing, one is recorded side by side with what is happening in the scene(and taken into a studio for mixing), and the other is recorded by a completely separate crew typically not even in the same building.

If I was a an actor, my performance would be jointly recorded(Standard Practice) then after, the video and sound are mixed/finalized by their respective branches. Now if I was a voice actor, the animated footage process would have absolutely nothing to do with me, and I would most likely be brought in after the footage is completed to do my part. By technicality the show MUST BE DUBBED.
El Conejo Malo

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:57 pm

I feel like enjoying both versions is fine and that a dub doesn't have to be "better" to be enjoyed by people who also like the original. The problem is some people feel the need to bash and shit on the other version.

Outside Kanzenshuu the Japanese version of DB doesn't have the popularity of other Japanese animes(One Piece,Bleach,Naruto,MyHeroAch, or HXH), fans of those series will constantly stroke their ego's bragging how they are "true fans" for watching a "better" version of the show. The fans on Kanzenshuu seem much more humble in comparison to modern anime fans you find on other forums.
Last edited by DragonBallKing on Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:00 pm

Bardo117 wrote:"Dubbing, mixing, or re-recording is a post-production process used in film making and video production in which additional or supplementary recordings are "mixed" with original production sound to create the finished soundtrack."

Obviously by definition, it IS a Dub because the animated characters don't have actual voices. Actors walk into a studio, record their voice(With a bit of context to create the right voice) and then it is later added to the video(both created by two entirely separate portions of the studio)

My definition of dubbing is pretty much anytime somebody inserts voices/sound to a piece that originally doesn't have sound. In the Case of Star-Wars, Darth Vader is voiced by someone who isn't actually inside the costume. And I get that Luke, Han, C3PO's voices are recorded using separate devices and later mixed and integrated into the film, but since it is the actors natural voice and stemming from the actual performance of the scene I don't consider that 'dubbing' to the degree of Dragonball(or any other animated show)

You guys are confusing two entirely separate processes of dubbing, one is recorded side by side with what is happening in the scene(and taken into a studio for mixing), and the other is recorded by a completely separate crew typically not even in the same building.

If I was a an actor, my performance would be jointly recorded(Standard Practice) then after, the video and sound are mixed/finalized by their respective branches. Now if I was a voice actor, the animated footage process would have absolutely nothing to do with me, and I would most likely be brought in after the footage is completed to do my part. By technicality the show MUST BE DUBBED.
Dear you missed that part. THE ORIGINAL IS MOST DEFINITELY NOT ADITIONAL OR SUPPLEMENTARY. GOD.

Ok I'm going to get out of this thread. Its making me behave badly.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:08 pm

I can't seem to understand how it isn't additional or supplementary, if it is not part of the footage? I get that it's part of the original creation process, but it stems from two wildly different portions of the show. If I were to animate my very own show, I would HAVE to get somebody to dub over my footage because my original animation does not have any voicing and is purely animation. If someone in a foreign language decides to dub over my animation, it is essentially the exact(literally) same process as the guy who recorded his voice in English.
El Conejo Malo

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:04 pm

Bardo117 wrote:I can't seem to understand how it isn't additional or supplementary, if it is not part of the footage? I get that it's part of the original creation process, but it stems from two wildly different portions of the show. If I were to animate my very own show, I would HAVE to get somebody to dub over my footage because my original animation does not have any voicing and is purely animation. If someone in a foreign language decides to dub over my animation, it is essentially the exact(literally) same process as the guy who recorded his voice in English.
This is getting ridiculous, you and Cure Dragon are referring to two different things. Your talking about dub as in the process of dubbing over animation which both sides do since the recording is done after the animation is made, and he's referring to dub as in a version that isn't the original audio track for the series like "sub vs dub". You could refer to it as "the Japanese version" to remove confusion but whatever :roll:
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu