What made you switch over to the Japanese version?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What made you switch over to the Japanese version?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:21 pm

Bardo117 wrote:I can't seem to understand how it isn't additional or supplementary, if it is not part of the footage? I get that it's part of the original creation process, but it stems from two wildly different portions of the show. If I were to animate my very own show, I would HAVE to get somebody to dub over my footage because my original animation does not have any voicing and is purely animation. If someone in a foreign language decides to dub over my animation, it is essentially the exact(literally) same process as the guy who recorded his voice in English.
Its not additional. Unless its was a Mute cartoon that was dubbed over later on. So no. Its not a dub. But since you like the Mexican dub I cant really be mad at you. You are a fellow fan. You are awesome.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:40 am

While I now love the original Japanese version just as much as the Latin American dub, I haven't switch over to exclusively watching the Japanese version. And I'll never will. I just never had to. By the time I started watching dbz back in 2001, the Latin American dub had already been finished. There was no need for me to watch the Japanese version because the dub was unfinished and stuck on blank arc. The LatAm dub was also uncut, kept the original score, had good voice acting and had a good translation. So there was no need to check out the Japanese version to see the "true" version of the show. I was already experiencing the show.

It's kinda interesting that I haven't seen many exclusive Latin American fans of the Japanese version. Maybe it's because the Latin American fans didn't feel the need to switch. Do you guys think that if FUNi had faithfully dubbed dbz with good voice actors since the beginning, fans that switched over to the Japanese version would've never switched?

Anyway, the reason I started watching the Japanese version was, like many other fans, because of Super. I just couldn't wait. There was no way I was going to wait 2 years to to watch it dubbed. I never disliked the Japanese version but I didn't enjoy it either. It was always just there. So when I first stared watching Super the voices were just meh. I didn't hated it. Goku's voice wasn't unbearable like some dub fans say. I actually liked some of the voices. Like Piccolo and Vegeta. But this was not the Dragon Ball that I loved. After 20-25 episodes I got used to the Japanese cast. Then as time passed I stared to enjoy it. After a year (50 episodes more or less) I genuinely enjoyed wacthing the Japanese version. I don't know what happed. Sure I got used to it since like episode 20. But it wasn't like I genuinely enjoy it. Then all of the sudden I started to really enjoy the Japanese version. To the point where I went and bought the blue bricks and the season Blu-rays just because I really wanted it to watch the original series in its original Japanese version. And know I love both the original and my dub equally.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:05 am

That Latin America Dub was on par with the Japanese, and personally was one step ahead simply because I understood the language that was being spoken rather than have to hear foreign voices with subtitles.

Started watching the Japanese Dub because everybody here insisted it was the best way to experience the show.
El Conejo Malo

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:52 am

DragonBallKing wrote:I feel like enjoying both versions is fine and that a dub doesn't have to be "better" to be enjoyed by people who also like the original. The problem is some people feel the need to bash and shit on the other version.

Outside Kanzenshuu the Japanese version of DB doesn't have the popularity of other Japanese animes(One Piece,Bleach,Naruto,MyHeroAch, or HXH), fans of those series will constantly stroke their ego's bragging how they are "true fans" for watching a "better" version of the show. The fans on Kanzenshuu seem much more humble in comparison to modern anime fans you find on other forums.
Agreed, I myself enjoy the Dubs of Cowboy Bebop, Naruto,Code Geass and Deathnote but yes you are right, outside Kanzenshuu the fans look at dbz dub like some holy grail of dubbing.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:36 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:I feel like enjoying both versions is fine and that a dub doesn't have to be "better" to be enjoyed by people who also like the original. The problem is some people feel the need to bash and shit on the other version.

Outside Kanzenshuu the Japanese version of DB doesn't have the popularity of other Japanese animes(One Piece,Bleach,Naruto,MyHeroAch, or HXH), fans of those series will constantly stroke their ego's bragging how they are "true fans" for watching a "better" version of the show. The fans on Kanzenshuu seem much more humble in comparison to modern anime fans you find on other forums.
Agreed, I myself enjoy the Dubs of Cowboy Bebop, Naruto,Code Geass and Deathnote but yes you are right, outside Kanzenshuu the fans look at dbz dub like some holy grail of dubbing.
The only things that are really notable about the old dub are the voices of Dabura, Babidi, Mr. Satan and Cell. A proper way to do a good dub of Dragon Ball is looking at the Ocean dubs of the first three movies.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:45 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:

The only things that are really notable about the old dub are the voices of Dabura, Babidi, Mr. Satan and Cell. A proper way to do a good dub of Dragon Ball is looking at the Ocean dubs of the first three movies.
And pretty much any Kent Williams role.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:48 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: Agreed, I myself enjoy the Dubs of Cowboy Bebop, Naruto,Code Geass and Deathnote but yes you are right, outside Kanzenshuu the fans look at dbz dub like some holy grail of dubbing.
Kent Williams is amazing, one of the best voice actors that works at Funimation. I'll say that Rick Robertson is also one of the best, even though he doesn't have that many roles. I could listen to him talk all day with that deep voice of his. Sabat knew what he was doing when he cast this guy as Dabura.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:14 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: The only things that are really notable about the old dub are the voices of Dabura, Babidi, Mr. Satan and Cell. A proper way to do a good dub of Dragon Ball is looking at the Ocean dubs of the first three movies.
Kent Williams is amazing, one of the best voice actors that works at Funimation. I'll say that Rick Robertson is also one of the best, even though he doesn't have that many roles. I could listen to him talk all day with that deep voice of his. Sabat knew what he was doing when he cast this guy as Dabura.
Too bad only some voices were good from FUNimation.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:28 pm

When I was younger, my curiosity. I loved going through everything on a DVD, and didn't really object to the Japanese version. I was probably eight years old or so, and I was already used to Kikuchi's score watching the original Dragon Ball on Toonami.

I continued watching the dub for a number of years until I discovered the then Daizenshuu EX podcast, and after hearing how highly they spoke of the Japanese version and hearing audio clips, I made the switch and really haven't watched the dub since.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:11 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote: And pretty much any Kent Williams role.
It really shows that at the time Funimation wasn't the best choice to dub Dragon Ball Z.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:05 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Kent Williams is amazing, one of the best voice actors that works at Funimation. I'll say that Rick Robertson is also one of the best, even though he doesn't have that many roles. I could listen to him talk all day with that deep voice of his. Sabat knew what he was doing when he cast this guy as Dabura.
It really shows that at the time Funimation wasn't the best choice to dub Dragon Ball Z.
Agreed

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:13 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: Too bad only some voices were good from FUNimation.
Agreed
Thankfully they have improved a lot as a dubbing company even though they're overused a lot nowadays. But it's a shame they had to take about 10 years to do a good dub with Dragon Ball.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:28 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: It really shows that at the time Funimation wasn't the best choice to dub Dragon Ball Z.
Agreed
Thankfully they have improved a lot as a dubbing company even though they're overused a lot nowadays. But it's a shame they had to take about 10 years to do a good dub with Dragon Ball.
For me personally the Kai dub was worth the wait.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:30 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: Agreed
But it's still a long time to wait for a good English dub of Dragon Ball with Schemmel and Sabat.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:28 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Thankfully they have improved a lot as a dubbing company even though they're overused a lot nowadays. But it's a shame they had to take about 10 years to do a good dub with Dragon Ball.
But it's still a long time to wait for a good English dub of Dragon Ball with Schemmel and Sabat.
Still many fans still ignore Kai dub and think it's a highly censored dumbed down Version of the show without the "Epic" lines from Z dub or Bruce Faulconer music.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:17 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Still many fans still ignore Kai dub and think it's a highly censored dumbed down Version of the show without the "Epic" lines from Z dub or Bruce Faulconer music.
That's because they haven't watched the uncut Kai dub and have only really watched the edited Kai dub.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:32 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: But it's still a long time to wait for a good English dub of Dragon Ball with Schemmel and Sabat.
That's because they haven't watched the uncut Kai dub and have only really watched the edited Kai dub.
Fans on Facebook and YouTube are these kinds of fans who only watched Z Dub and judge Kai on Nicketoons version.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:08 am

I come from the European Portuguese dub which is beyond awful. As a kid it was fun and cute, when I grew up it turned out I wanted to actually know what the source said, not out-of-context jokes and blatant mistakes.

Nowadays I rather watch everything in it's mother language, if possible. Of course subtitles might still contain errors and many things will be lost in translation, I rather later research these grey areas and learn while watching. From watching so many Japanese shows I can understand quite a bit of the language.

It annoyed me not knowing Goku talked like a hill-billy after watching my on national dub and one of the English dubs later, to give an example. There's so much details lost, it's like watching/reading while lacking a sense.

That's more my grip and reason, not performance from the voice actors and soundtrack.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:11 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: Still many fans still ignore Kai dub and think it's a highly censored dumbed down Version of the show without the "Epic" lines from Z dub or Bruce Faulconer music.
Fans on Facebook and YouTube are these kinds of fans who only watched Z Dub and judge Kai on Nicketoons version.

That's what most people typically watch, not an accurate source but it's all most people have and know about.
El Conejo Malo

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:20 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: Still many fans still ignore Kai dub and think it's a highly censored dumbed down Version of the show without the "Epic" lines from Z dub or Bruce Faulconer music.
Those kinds of fans tend to watch shows on those sites, not on the TV.