How much filler did Kai Ep. 99-159 cut out.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

How much filler did Kai Ep. 99-159 cut out.

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Sun May 28, 2017 3:50 am

I know that the final chapters version of boo arc added 8 additional episodes of filler. But as far as overall, I also know that Boo originally had the least amount of filler compared to the other sagas correct? But my main question is, how much filler did those episodes cut out DURING episodes. Like for example, it skips a filler scene and goes to the next part of the manga in the episode. I'm asking because episodes 1-98 did a significant job at cutting most of it out.

sintzu
Banned

Re: How much filler did Kai Ep. 99-159 cut out.

Post by sintzu » Sun May 28, 2017 10:18 am

2 of those episodes (101&165) are complete filler while the other 6 cut out content that helps the pacing flow naturally. In terms of your other question, yes and the reason for that is because the manga was faster during the Buu arc due to the shorter fights so when the anime got to them they made them longer but they weren't too long so they didn't ruin the pacing.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 28, 2017 10:22 am

A few of the episodes in the Great Saiyaman portion couldn't be edited out because they are integrated into the canon material, i.e. how Videl discovered Gohan's identity.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Sun May 28, 2017 10:34 am

ABED wrote:A few of the episodes in the Great Saiyaman portion couldn't be edited out because they are integrated into the canon material, i.e. how Videl discovered Gohan's identity.
Ehh, I don't want to get in an argument about "canon". Fans have their own opinions on it. Bardock the father of Goku and History of trunks are canon to the anime, I'd like to believe. Same with Dodoria killing Cargo and Saiyaman saving Chobi.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 28, 2017 11:15 am

This isn't an argument about canon at all. It was merely a factual statement. Because the filler material was combined with important manga elements, it necessitated keeping more filler than they probably would've otherwise.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Sun May 28, 2017 12:27 pm

I'm curious as to this too because Kanzenshuu did come up with some numbers for earlier parts of Kai:

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/episode/kai/saiyan/
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/episode/kai/namek/
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/episode/kai/freeza/

That said, the methodology isn't given for Kanzenshuu's math calculating filler. If filler is defined by any animation not represented by a panel of the manga, Buu Kai has substantial filler. Going through each episode and counting the filler minutes/scene would be quite a task.