Are movies 12 and 13 the best Dragon Ball Z Funimation remaster to date?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Are movies 12 and 13 the best Dragon Ball Z Funimation remaster to date?

Post by DHM211 » Sun May 28, 2017 1:37 pm

I was rewatching movies 12 and 13 on blu ray today and was surprised with how crisp they looked. The footage wasn't oversaturated and fuzzy like the orange bricks and didn't look overtly "oily" and tinted red/yellow like the season blu rays. As for if its better then the level sets, I'm not entirely sure. The levels don't have any dirt, however, I feel like these two movies just looked cleaner(with some grain but not so much that its overtly visible).
What do you guys think?

sintzu
Banned

Re: Are movies 12 and 13 the best Dragon Ball Z Funimation remaster to date?

Post by sintzu » Sun May 28, 2017 4:44 pm

Yeah but that's not just because of the remastering (although it helped that they had experience by the time they got to them), the movies themselves are very high quality on their own.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sun May 28, 2017 6:18 pm

sintzu wrote:Yeah but that's not just because of the remastering (although it helped that they had experience by the time they got to them), the movies themselves are very high quality on their own.
Exactly, Funimation's print is in pretty good shape for these that said there is still a loss of background detail due to their remastering process.

I still can't believe that they didn't bother cleaning up the reel change marks, which demonstrates just how automated the entire process was.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue May 30, 2017 9:53 pm

The best Funimation remaster of any of the Dragon Ball franchise is still the Levels.

A lot of effort went into making the Levels the best they could be; none of this automated degrain/oversharpen/autocrop crap you get on the "Season" sets and all the other widescreen releases.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue May 30, 2017 11:04 pm

Robo4900 wrote:The best Funimation remaster of any of the Dragon Ball franchise is still the Levels.
It's a real shame they didn't finish those. I think they would've sold a lot better if they hadn't released the Orange sets and the dragon boxes before. It's hard to believe that out of all the anime they have, Z is the one they havn't got right yet.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue May 30, 2017 11:05 pm

Are you guys talking about the Blu-Ray release for DBZ Movies 12 & 13?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/