Dragon Ball and "Feminism"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball and "Feminism"

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Wed May 31, 2017 3:03 pm

(Took me awhile to respond to this & a lot of good posts have come up in between; I dont want to bloat the post, because I feel like this is a really fantastic thread that I'd hate to derail - Also, I'm not sure how Asperger's is an insult or a discreditation. That's not how that works)
ABED wrote:
All SJW really means, in its widest scope, is someone cares deeply & passionately about something that isn't normalized enough yet.
This is a very naïve view. It's a bunch of college kids who will grab any rationale they can in order to get power. They scream and cry for teachers to be fired for daring teach views they oppose. They want to get yoga teachers thrown off campus if they aren't Indian. They are bigots of a different variety who will dismiss a person's ideas just because they are straight white males. I'm more than fine with ideas and messages in art, but it has to be integrated into the artwork. One of the worst things a piece of art could do is to stop the story in its tracks to get didactic. Buffy is a great example of integrating its message into the story and characters. That said, not all stories need to serve the same function. Toriyama is more concerned with the action and humor. He should play to his strengths.
I'm not going to say that these people don't exist, however they're more like the vocal minority & oftentimes the people mocking them are pretty much presenting them as "OMG this is what the left has become!" as if there aren't reasonable people with progressive hopes & ideals. There are plenty of older & well-thought-out people with very "social justice" ideas, & they are mocked by the same people & largely lumped in the same category. The people that mock them (let's say "the skeptic community" post-2013 or so) generally are using them as an example of why "progressive ideas are cancer" & pretty much universally get praise on Youtube, 4chan, & certain parts of Reddit. This is not healthy because at the end of the day, what you're sort of doing is just using a very silly vocal minority of (usually well-meaning, but frustrating) kids to just hand-wave progress & positive movements. & I have indeed seen Trump supporters & "alt-right" types use "SJW" to describe people that displayed care for any sort of marginalized group (kind of like using "literally Hitler" or "shitlord" or such).

Also, believe it or not, as right-wing (I mean doing absolutely nothing besides criticizing the left) of an (to use their word) echo chamber that Youtube specificly has become, these people are shutting down debate as well. I definitely think Anita Sarkeesian (while her talking points are basicly correct) being an outside & somehow also the sole figure of feminism in games, really did put off gamers. However, responding to that lack of communication by one's own lack of communication is...pretty much creating two separate echo chambers. & that's incredibly dangerous. I can agree with you that messages in art need to be organic (it can come off as "token" & slightly offensive on the other hand), & Buffy is a fantastic example of that; Joss Whedon actually cares about feminist issues, & that shows through & really gets his points across. It's hard to genuinely do that when all parties aren't necessarily on board with that, as they may not find it a financially safe endeavor (& that is the issue with Hollywood films). A lot of producers don't really "get" progressive ideals & films are just recently trying to play catch-up. With American comics, they've been progressive for ages, but Marvel specificly is trying to sort of ride of the movies now, so they've been getting flack for that I guess. Can't argue much as a non-fan though, personally.
Ajay wrote:Ajay
Ajay wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:<snip>
I think there's a world of difference between what you're describing and what ABED is.

"SJW" is a bit of a silly term, really. It shouldn't really be a bad thing to be considered someone who fights for social justice, but unfortunately, there are a group of people - typically young people - who twist, warp, and exaggerate progressive ideologies to the point where they're actually regressive. They're not interested in equality and fairness whatsoever, instead they're interested in tipping the scales in the opposite direction, which doesn't actually solve a thing. There's no, "I want the best person for the job in X position", it's "Everyone should be represented because!!!" There's no, "This offends me, maybe that's okay, or maybe I should have a conversation about this", it's "Shut it down! I don't wanna hear it! Nope!!!" These people aren't fighting for fairness, freedom or rights, they're looking to create a society that cares far more about skin colour and gender than skill, and one that silences dissenting opinions because they don't want to hear it. None of that is taking the world in a better direction, and as such, "SJW" has become a pejorative due to how horrendously widespread this has become. Which is of course a shame as now you're accused of being an "SJW" if ever you want to discuss these subjects in a reasonable manner.

These types of people are doing genuine harm. Their extremity only fuels the other side of the coin, or turns reasonable folk against genuinely progressive ideas.
I'm not sure what else I've got to say here that I didn't up above, but while yes there's an issue with a lot of communication from activists to smaller Internet right-wing circles(Sarkeesian's outsider feminist critique being a part of that issue), the fact of the matter is that anti-SJWs are basically way many people spending far too long complaining about people actually trying to make a difference & instead of helping them out & trying to help support them make a difference. People don't simply make fun of "SJWs" in a vaccuum, either. These are generally people who also feel that progressiveness is actually *bad*, & these attitudes affect public policy as well. There's an excellent video by ContraPoints on White Nationalism where he pretty much explains where these reactionary attitudes come from. Contra also does sympathize with the idea that activists need to engage these communities more, but he spends more time actually explaining the issues rather than Sargon of Akkad-ing it & just getting upset & scoffing at the issue without actually putting it into context.

Also the thing is that supporting & giving up things to others (like, say, the female-only WW screening; & say affirmative action) is only a means to an end - we don't see everyone equally, so pretending that "legal equality" means that everyone's equal is pretty disingenuous. Equity means treating everyone as their[/] situation requires, equality is myopic because of the reasons above. LIberation is the ultimate end goal & hopeful removal of systemic barriers - but we can't just pretend years of conditioning just "vanish", so we validate minorities & feel like they're given a voice before we integrate them. (Basically why feminists love to advocate for headscarves even though the practice is so incredibly patriarchal & creepy from my post-Islamic standpoint)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed May 31, 2017 3:33 pm

Also the thing is that supporting & giving up things to others (like, say, the female-only WW screening; & say affirmative action) is only a means to an end - we don't see everyone equally, so pretending that "legal equality" means that everyone's equal is pretty disingenuous.
The female only screening is voluntary private action. Affirmative action is government action. Two completely different scenarios. I'm an individualist. I don't believe it's about egalitarianism, I believe it's about treating people how they deserve to be treated based on their actions. I won't treat a dishonest person the same as an honest person. We're not all equal. We have different talents, different abilities, different interests, different levels of intelligence, different levels of motivation. The only way I believe people are or should be equal is equal before the law.

I'm unsure exactly how you would apply your egalitarian views to DB.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Wed May 31, 2017 3:51 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:We know that two female Saiyans have been introduced to Super and both are Super Saiyans... something fans have been clamouring about for years but their asses still aren't satisfied. They still go on tirades about Dragon Ball being sexist and shit like what the fuck do they want?

That's when I drew the conclusion that the fans if anything are the sexist ones...

I mean, they complain about the other females choosing to be housewives. Videl I can understand complaining about because she barely has character now but that has nothing to do with gender.... at least she's shown as a loving, understanding wife and mother. They're even complaining about #18 being a housewife even though she's still shown as much stronger than Krillin and one of the main fighters from Universe 7. They also forget Bulma is like the only human that has consistently remained relevance throughout the entire series even during 2/3 of Super. Don't even get me started on the Chi-Chi hating-ass shit.

Wanna complain about sexism in the series? Go after Toei. After all they created Maron, Pan (GT), and Yurin.
Wow really?
I don't see anything neither sexist nor feminist in DB lol
Everyone got their share, we have housewives, we have female warriors, we have old perverts as well as fine husbands, not even sure this warrants a thread of its own lol

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed May 31, 2017 4:00 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:Wow really?
I don't see anything neither sexist nor feminist in DB lol
Everyone got their share, we have housewives, we have female warriors, we have old perverts as well as fine husbands, not even sure this warrants a thread of its own lol
Earlier, I linked two specific articles that detail inherently sexist traditional Japanese stereotypical roles (the "good wife / wise mother" and the related "education-minded mother"), and alluded to their usage in Dragon Ball (along with mentioning a previous podcast episode we've done on the topic). It's OK to not already be aware of them, but even after they've been linked and having read the rest of the conversation thus far (you have read the rest of the thread's conversation before posting, right?), how can you possibly make this kind of comment?

Furthermore, if you don't feel the thread is worthy of existing, there is no real need to make a comment of your own in the first place.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed May 31, 2017 4:07 pm

I don't think Chichi falls completely into the stereotype. I may not like the character, but she has layers to her. Moreover, would it matter if she was just a tiger mom? Those people exist so I think it's more than fair to have that type of character in DB.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Wed May 31, 2017 4:08 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Earlier, I linked two specific articles that detail inherently sexist traditional Japanese stereotypical roles (the "good wife / wise mother" and the related "education-minded mother"), and alluded to their usage in Dragon Ball (along with mentioning a previous podcast episode we've done on the topic). It's OK to not already be aware of them, but even after they've been linked and having read the rest of the conversation thus far (you have read the rest of the thread's conversation before posting, right?), how can you possibly make this kind of comment?

Furthermore, if you don't feel the thread is worthy of existing, there is no real need to make a comment of your own in the first place.
My apologies, I indeed missed your articles, I have to say this completely flew over my head then, please forgive my lack of culture for what you/they refer to "sexist traditional stereotypical" just came to me as idiotic/funny clichés lol
Please also don't take that last part too seriously, it was a mere hyperbole to transmit my feelings after reading OP but for sure I'll avoid doing that again cheers lol

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed May 31, 2017 8:35 pm

sintzu wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:This is just awful. Trump being very openly racist and misogynistic, which can tell some people, that's it's okay to act like that, is much worse than some emails.
Trumps has a big mouth that he doesn't know when to shut, it's annoying but that's all it is. Those emails on the other hand not only put the country's national security at risk but she also got some people killed.
Name them and provide proof. Because I've heard tons of these accusations and rumors yet none of them have any truth to them. The most you can accuse her of is using a private email server that possibly could have been hacked, and yet all investigation shows that it wasn't. Compare that to the guy in the White House who is deliberately admitting to giving away classified information to the Russians.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed May 31, 2017 8:40 pm

I'm not a mod but I think that's beyond the scope of Dragon Ball and this thread in particular. I think we should try and keep it on topic.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed May 31, 2017 9:26 pm

I can't begin to follow the direction this thread has taken, but for the sake of offering a cogent thought:

When it comes to a series like Dragon Ball, and the gender dynamics thereof—which I would think, or assume, would be at the heart of this thread—it's important that we're honest and able to recognize its shortcomings along with its positives. Doing so isn't calling for censorship, it isn't calling for retroactive change, and nearly all of it should be couched in the acknowledgement that this is (concerning the original run) a piece of fiction from a particular culture and era. Still, that doesn't prevent us from examining the ways it played thoughtlessly or carelessly into some of the harmful social structures of said time and place. It's important that we recognize these careless or harmful elements, that we're able to talk about them, hold them up just as we would the positives, and that we're honest about their potential impact despite, or hell, because of, our overall love for the series and artist. Popular fiction both mirrors and projects back onto the culture that creates it—it has power.

So, Dragon Ball, and perhaps Toriyama as a whole: It's hit-and-miss! (But hit in some genuinely praiseworthy ways). Perhaps that shouldn't be unexpected. Toriyama's most popular manga are the idiosyncratic works of a young man living in Japan in the 1980s, and they reflect many of the sensibilities that could be expected of that origin. On the negative side, in both Dr. Slump and Dragon Ball, sexual assault and harassment are, unfortunately, played up for situational comedy, singularly targeting female characters. These scenes are largely as deftly handled, and frankly funny—thanks entirely to Toriyama's skills as a situational comedic writer and his assurance that these schemes backfire on the perpetrator rather than the subject matter—as they possibly could be. At the same time, it makes light of, and therein defangs, an issue Japan, and much of the West, still has trouble treating with proper weight. Violence runs comedic through horrific in the series, but sexual harassment is singularly within the purview of its humor. That isn't great. That's thoughtless; it's harmful; the humor could have come from anywhere else. It's an element I'd rather not have in the series, but it's there, and I think the best thing we can do is to acknowledge and discuss it. Dragon Ball is a great series with some rather thoughtless reinforcement of harmful social attitudes. It's a series I love, but that sucks.

At the same time—and when I last made a complete runthrough of the series with a former girlfriend, she pointed this out repeatedly—Toriyama always treats his female characters like people. They have personalities. They have wants. They play various roles, they're physically varied, and while they're not as active in the superpowered action as the men (and that is a pronounced inequality), they feel like part of the cast rather than accessories to fully rendered characters. That's something I've always admired about Toriyama, and it's consistent throughout his work—from Dragon Ball to the female-led Dr. Slump to any number of his short series and one-shots. He stands out refreshingly (unfortunately?) among both his predecessors and successors in the massively-popular Shonen manga scene for that: None of his characters are hangers-on. Chaozu—a small psychic jiangshi devoted to his asexual martial-artist partner—is the most fawning of the bunch. That is a low bar, but unfortunately one Toriyama deserves some acknowledgement as a genre artist for clearing.

Acknowledge, discuss, and hope that both Toriyama and Dragon Ball moving forward continue to offer, and outdo, because the bar really isn't that high, the kind of good-natured gender equality that marks the original run. I don't expect Toriyama to ever think too much about the social ramifications of his work, but tamping down on some of the careless humor described above, he generally does just fine. Dragon Ball as a modern franchise outside of Toriyama's hands has been a mixed bag. The recent influx of female fighters in Super is fantastic and long overdue, but some of the handling of married characters on the script-level, along with the return of uncomfortable sexual harassment humor, feels careless and deflating. It's okay to praise the good and call out the bad. I don't think there's any reason to not want to see either the property or the authors behind it do better.

Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zillamon51 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:45 am

DB is, and always has been, a very male-centered franchise. There's nothing wrong with that. It just seems to be a bit of an anachronism in this day and age, when so much entertainment tries to be diverse and all-inclusive.

Complaining that there aren't enough female characters, or the ones that exist aren't strong enough, is like complaining about the male characters in chick flicks. Those aren't made for me, so I don't care. DB is made for a certain audience, and it shouldn't try to be something it's not.
"...It’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always." - Akira Toriyama, on transitioning from DBZ to DBS.

"Just repeat to yourself, It's just a show,
I should really just relax..." - MST3K theme song

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:36 pm

Two new female saiyans are cool, but we could really do without Roshi's behavior in Super. I guess Toei is to blame there, but yeah it def made me uncomfortable watching his recent moments at Tien's or his "training".

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:13 am

Kokonoe wrote:Two new female saiyans are cool, but we could really do without Roshi's behavior in Super. I guess Toei is to blame there, but yeah it def made me uncomfortable watching his recent moments at Tien's or his "training".
It's humor. Humor is made by making fun of serious things. Home alone for example is a children's movie built entirely on things that, if taken seriously, would amount to serious body harm and attempted murder. Improper sexual humor is exactly the same. The only real difference here is the western bias that makes people very lenient towards violence (which makes them easily accept violence-based humor) but very serious against anything improperly sexual (which makes them reject improper sexual humor).

Personally, I don't see why it should be different in most cases. It's humor either way, and both are bad if we look at them seriously. In fact, objectively speaking, if we really want to look at it seriously, usually attempted murder is regarded more seriously and with harsher penalties than attempted unwanted sexual advances.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:47 am

rereboy wrote:
Kokonoe wrote:Two new female saiyans are cool, but we could really do without Roshi's behavior in Super. I guess Toei is to blame there, but yeah it def made me uncomfortable watching his recent moments at Tien's or his "training".
It's humor. Humor is made by making fun of serious things. Home alone for example is a children's movie built entirely on things that, if taken seriously, would amount to serious body harm and attempted murder. Improper sexual humor is exactly the same. The only real difference here is the western bias that makes people very lenient towards violence (which makes them easily accept violence-based humor) but very serious against anything improperly sexual (which makes them reject improper sexual humor).

Personally, I don't see why it should be different in most cases. It's humor either way, and both are bad if we look at them seriously. In fact, objectively speaking, if we really want to look at it seriously, usually attempted murder is regarded more seriously and with harsher penalties than attempted unwanted sexual advances.
I'd call this more of an American bias. They're the one's who're usually fine with any number of messed up things being done to people in movie's while throwing massive fits over anything even remotely about sex.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:08 am

Zillamon51 wrote:DB is, and always has been, a very male-centered franchise. There's nothing wrong with that. It just seems to be a bit of an anachronism in this day and age, when so much entertainment tries to be diverse and all-inclusive.

Complaining that there aren't enough female characters, or the ones that exist aren't strong enough, is like complaining about the male characters in chick flicks. Those aren't made for me, so I don't care. DB is made for a certain audience, and it shouldn't try to be something it's not.
Great point which is why I'm fine with stories not trying to appeal to every single demo.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:47 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
rereboy wrote:

I'd call this more of an American bias. They're the one's who're usually fine with any number of messed up things being done to people in movie's while throwing massive fits over anything even remotely about sex.
True but I didn't want to specify just one country since I'm sure it's not completely exclusive to them.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:37 pm

I think Dragon Ball is making terrific strides in terms of womens' issues. Kale and Caulifla are exactly what the franchise needs to get into the 21st century and they are redeeming for how horribly Toei treated Chi-Chi in filler.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:15 pm

floofychan333 wrote:I think Dragon Ball is making terrific strides in terms of womens' issues. Kale and Caulifla are exactly what the franchise needs to get into the 21st century and they are redeeming for how horribly Toei treated Chi-Chi in filler.
What exactly do you mean by "getting the franchise into the 21st century"?

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:26 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:I think Dragon Ball is making terrific strides in terms of womens' issues. Kale and Caulifla are exactly what the franchise needs to get into the 21st century and they are redeeming for how horribly Toei treated Chi-Chi in filler.
What exactly do you mean by "getting the franchise into the 21st century"?
Censorship like in Nazi Germany and communist countries, maybe? ( 8) )

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:37 pm

Kojiro Sasaki wrote:Censorship like in Nazi Germany and communist countries, maybe? ( 8) )
Remember when the Nazis and other oppressive state regimes trampled citizens' rights by congratulating popular media for including more positive portrayals of women?

Worst day of my life.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:45 pm

Censorship is also something only possible by government action. It doesn't apply here.