DBGT Bebi Saga Review

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: DBGT Bebi Saga Review

Post by ABED » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:33 pm

lancerman wrote:
ABED wrote:I think if the writers were more successful in creating Pan's arc, she would've been better received. I like her, but I see why many don't.
The issue with Pan is that she was this little lovable girl we fell in love with as the symbol of the next generation and someone who wanted to be just like the hero of the story. Then she's this rebel. It's jarring.
A little, but she's a young girl and young people can change radically in 5 years, but I can see your point. Though I don't think that's the reason people don't like her.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:52 am

ABED wrote:
lancerman wrote:
ABED wrote:I think if the writers were more successful in creating Pan's arc, she would've been better received. I like her, but I see why many don't.
The issue with Pan is that she was this little lovable girl we fell in love with as the symbol of the next generation and someone who wanted to be just like the hero of the story. Then she's this rebel. It's jarring.
A little, but she's a young girl and young people can change radically in 5 years, but I can see your point. Though I don't think that's the reason people don't like her.
No. It's because she's an annoying crybaby who does nothing good except help Goku reach Super saiyan 4.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:37 am

And we can't have a character cry now can we?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:07 am

ABED wrote:And we can't have a character cry now can we?
Crybabies are annoying. She's moody and acts like a typical teenager girl. That's not very entertaining. She's only annoying in my point of view.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:54 am

Gohan was a crybaby and he doesn't get nearly as much crap even in the Saiyan arc. I don't think Pan actually cries that much, but she doesn't make a big change. She's pretty much the same character from beginning to end.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:33 am

ABED wrote:Gohan was a crybaby and he doesn't get nearly as much crap even in the Saiyan arc. I don't think Pan actually cries that much, but she doesn't make a big change. She's pretty much the same character from beginning to end.
Eh, she's moody and acts like she constantly is in her period or something. But I'm sure you got that from my earlier post.

Timetraveller
Beyond Newbie

Post by Timetraveller » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:03 pm

sangofe wrote:
ABED wrote:Gohan was a crybaby and he doesn't get nearly as much crap even in the Saiyan arc. I don't think Pan actually cries that much, but she doesn't make a big change. She's pretty much the same character from beginning to end.
Eh, she's moody and acts like she constantly is in her period or something. But I'm sure you got that from my earlier post.
And there's nothing wrong with that. She's a quarter saiyan female kid who's much stronger than Goku was at that age but fighting against villains stronger than Freeza. And a moody kid? That couldn't possibly be realistic, right? Say what you will about GT but it was much more realistic in the way the characters developed after the time skip.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:32 pm

I have no issue with her personality, I simply wish she grew more, like Cordelia on Buffy, Peyton and Brooke on One Tree Hill, or Rachel on Friends. All of those characters started off as moody or spoiled and grew into happy and kind adults.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:35 pm

I think one of the main reasons some people hate Pan is that she's incredibly disrespectful towards Goku for a large part of GT. The audience who watched DB and Z experienced all of Goku's incredible adventures and battles, and then to suddenly have some young brat come in and basically give him the middle finger rubs fans up the wrong way. It doesn't help that she says things like "I found all the Dragonballs all by myself!" when they return to earth. And the fact that she gets way more screentime than Gohan, Goten, Vegeta, Piccolo, and Krillin.

And while Gohan also started out as a crybaby, he was much younger and toughened up pretty quickly. And he was always respectful towards his elders, even after surpassing many of them.

I think Pan is disliked in a similar way to Gotenks, although I think Gotenks gets off easier due to the fact that he goes toe-to-toe with the likes of Buu and is actually pretty badass in spite of his cockiness. I don't really have a big problem with Pan either though, but I can see why people do.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:54 pm

Gohan toughened up because he was forced to in order to just survive. It was a trial by fire. Pan didn't quite have the crucible. I don't mind that she's a little rude (she clearly loves her grandfather), because that gives her character a place to go. Unfortunately, the writers didn't complete that arc. It's all dependent on execution, but I love it when I start off hating a character but come to love them.