DBGT Bebi Saga Review

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TenshinFan
Beyond Newbie

Re: DBGT Bebi Saga Review

Post by TenshinFan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:10 pm

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:The Baby sags is the best of GT, Baby and Rildo were great villians and had great fights with Goku. I like how Uub was used too, sure it was small but him intentionally getting eaten to distract Baby so Goku can get a power boost was great. Gohan, Goten and Vegeta had great episodes even though they ended up getting controled, they were pretty fun fights.

The shadow dragon saga is second but I feel like the characters were under used and some of the villians were underwhelming.

It's definitely the most mileage we get out of Uub, a character who I think really should have been the one helping find the Black Stars rather than Trunks.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:57 pm

TenshinFan wrote:
GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:The Baby sags is the best of GT, Baby and Rildo were great villians and had great fights with Goku. I like how Uub was used too, sure it was small but him intentionally getting eaten to distract Baby so Goku can get a power boost was great. Gohan, Goten and Vegeta had great episodes even though they ended up getting controled, they were pretty fun fights.

The shadow dragon saga is second but I feel like the characters were under used and some of the villians were underwhelming.

It's definitely the most mileage we get out of Uub, a character who I think really should have been the one helping find the Black Stars rather than Trunks.
Does Uub know how to fly a spaceship?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TenshinFan
Beyond Newbie

Post by TenshinFan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:39 am

Sure why not

I think GT would have really lived up to it's potential more had they included Uub as part of the main cast with Pan and Goku. It makes sense considering the End of Z. Not that Trunks really does much anyway.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:57 am

How? He's from a poor village and he spent his time training with Goku. Adding Uub would not have been the key to making GT work. Thankfully they didn't because I don't think Uub is interesting even in concept. And Trunks does stuff. He's necessary as he takes care of the ship and pilots it. He's the tech guy and there's a much greater emotional connection between the audience and Trunks than Uub.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Timetraveller
Beyond Newbie

Post by Timetraveller » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:07 am

precita wrote:
uncutpokemon wrote:I like to pretend this doesn't exist, just like the rest of GT.
This was literally GT's only decent arc.
The Baby arc was better executed than any arc in Super, so if this was GT's best arc, that's not a bad thing. At least it never dipped to Resurrection of Frieza levels of trash. I honestly can't think of one thing that Super did better than GT. Maybe the addition of Beerus and Whis but that's not enough to excuse the bad animation, terrible writing, and the lazy designs.

Timetraveller
Beyond Newbie

Post by Timetraveller » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:16 am

lancerman wrote:It was a mixed bag.

I couldn't help but feel it relied heavily on nostalgia and was just looking for an excuse to put on another Goku vs Vegeta fight. Bebi could have totally existed as it's own parasitic bio engineered entity with no ties to the Saiyans. Sort of like a Borg for DB.

It was also hard to believe that Bebi was stronger than Boo and that SSJ4 was necessary.
C'mon, we have C17 who is apparently on SSB's tier and characters who are universe busters in Dragon ball Super. Future Trunks jumped straight to SSB level in one leap and makes spirit sword from the energy of 12 people strong enough to defeat Merged Zamasu. Frieza jumped to God level in 4 months. Bebi who's weak by himself but strong in Vegeta's body is nothing compared to the suspension of disbelief required to accept anything in Super. Heck DBS blatantly and unashamedly brings fanfiction ideas to life like the female Broly character. If that's not relying on nostalgia, then I don't know what is. Also Goku Black was an excuse to put on another Goku vs Vegeta fight.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:58 pm

Timetraveller wrote:

I couldn't help but feel it relied heavily on nostalgia and was just looking for an excuse to put on another Goku vs Vegeta fight. Bebi could have totally existed as it's own parasitic bio engineered entity with no ties to the Saiyans. Sort of like a Borg for DB.

It was also hard to believe that Bebi was stronger than Boo and that SSJ4 was necessary.
C'mon, we have C17 who is apparently on SSB's tier and characters who are universe busters in Dragon ball Super. Future Trunks jumped straight to SSB level in one leap and makes spirit sword from the energy of 12 people strong enough to defeat Merged Zamasu. Frieza jumped to God level in 4 months. Bebi who's weak by himself but strong in Vegeta's body is nothing compared to the suspension of disbelief required to accept anything in Super. Heck DBS blatantly and unashamedly brings fanfiction ideas to life like the female Broly character. If that's not relying on nostalgia, then I don't know what is. Also Goku Black was an excuse to put on another Goku vs Vegeta fight.
The difference was the actual escalation. None of the villains that are on SSJ4 tier, nor any SSJ4 characters, do much of anything that shows them being more impressive than SSJ3 level.

Whereas in Super we kinda know Beerus is so far above anything we've ever seen that anything that can hang with him must be dramatically higher.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:58 am

precita wrote:The Bebi arc is one of GT"s few (only?) decent arc. It isn't perfect and has the same flaws as everything else in GT, but it's the one that felt like it tried.
Debatable. I think they had the right idea with the Shadow Dragon arc.

I'm one of the few people who loved GT. Wasn't too happy about it being a Goku show, but it was still good
How i predict the tournament will end:

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:17 am

The first half of GT, Which is the hunt for the Black star Dragonballs all the way to the end of the Baby saga, is the only part of GT I liked. Even though I feel it did start to lose steam toward the end.
(I also kinda like the GT movie/special) So it's good to know others like it as well.

The hunt for the Black star dragonballs may not have been the most exciting thing in the world, but I thought it was entertaining. Especially Planet M-2. Yes, I even liked the Para para brothers. Fight me.

Baby is a cool villain that could have been great. My favorite part of this whole thing being his invasion of earth and him gaining control over everybody. My only gripe being that I wish everyone controlled by Baby didn't act like some cackling villain. There was this bit where it showed some people still acting normal despite being controlled. I wish all the characters were still themselves, only they hated saiyans now and loved baby. I thought that would have made Goku having to fight them much better.

Other than that Baby is a good villain. Loved his weird design.

Uub was a disappointment.

SSJ4 was cool as well, with my only beef being the name.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:25 pm

TenshinFan wrote:Sure why not

I think GT would have really lived up to it's potential more had they included Uub as part of the main cast with Pan and Goku. It makes sense considering the End of Z. Not that Trunks really does much anyway.
Dude. Trunks pilots the space ship. I would have liked goten, Trunks and Goku because of gotenks. I really didn't like pan.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:31 pm

I think if the writers were more successful in creating Pan's arc, she would've been better received. I like her, but I see why many don't.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:02 am

ABED wrote:I think if the writers were more successful in creating Pan's arc, she would've been better received. I like her, but I see why many don't.
I agree, she isn't as bad as some think but they definitely underutilized her in ways. It was a missed opportunity for her too not go super Saiyan.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:22 am

Her not turning SSJ doesn't bother me.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:51 pm

I guess it just bugs me because later Goku Jr. could go Super Saiyan and they never really delved into why she couldn't.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:58 pm

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:I guess it just bugs me because later Goku Jr. could go Super Saiyan and they never really delved into why she couldn't.
I imagine she probably could've, but her role was never primarily combative. She was the emotional surrogate for the audience. Whether things are good or bad, Pan is always the one who's setting the mood, and through her you understand the personal implications of everything that happens. Goku Jr, on the other hand, was just the star of a fun special that showed Goku's legacy will be kept alive in future generations. His transformation had an important symbolism to it.

So sure, Pan could have become a Super Saiyan, and I have no doubt that if GT had continued for a while longer, she probably would have, for toys if nothing else, but nothing really necessitated her doing so.
Retired.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:38 am

Timetraveller wrote:

The hell have you been watching? Goku Black was not another Goku vs Vegeta.

Timetraveller
Beyond Newbie

Post by Timetraveller » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:26 am

sangofe wrote:
Timetraveller wrote:

Dragonball Super. There was a Goku Black vs Vegeta fight i.e. Goku vs Vegeta.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:23 pm

Timetraveller wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Timetraveller wrote:
It was short and absolutely secondary. So what's your point? Bebi Vegeta vs Goku was much longer and important.

First, your post doesn't belong in this topic, and secondly, nobody is making you watch dbs.

Not sure why you posted what you did here.

Let's get back to discuss the topic at hand.

Timetraveller
Beyond Newbie

Post by Timetraveller » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:30 am

sangofe wrote:
Timetraveller wrote:
sangofe wrote:
It was short and absolutely secondary. So what's your point? Bebi Vegeta vs Goku was much longer and important.

First, your post doesn't belong in this topic, and secondly, nobody is making you watch dbs.

Not sure why you posted what you did here.

Let's get back to discuss the topic at hand.
Because it relates to a topic about someone's review of the Bebi saga in GT and is a comparison of some of this saga's flaws vs the flaws of a modern sequel? I was responding to another post. "Nobody is making you watch dbs" I'm not sure what that has to do with anything? Where did I say I was being forced to watch dbs?

Now let's get back to the discussion about the Bebi saga.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:54 pm

ABED wrote:I think if the writers were more successful in creating Pan's arc, she would've been better received. I like her, but I see why many don't.
The issue with Pan is that she was this little lovable girl we fell in love with as the symbol of the next generation and someone who wanted to be just like the hero of the story. Then she's this rebel. It's jarring.