DBGT Bebi Saga Review

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

DBGT Bebi Saga Review

Post by successoroffate » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:38 pm

I've just finished rewatching the Bebi Saga (Green bricks, Japanese Mono audio). Here is an outline of the stuff that I noticed or found interesting, feel free to comment or ask a question:
- First time rewatching the scene where Vegeta is shaving his mustache after reading that it was a reference to Toriyama's daughter "allegedly asked for Vegeta's mustache to be removed." Fun scene too.
- Once Bebi lands on Earth, everything goes Ape shit... fast (No pun intended).
- I came to the conclusion that Bebi's eggs are placed on the throats of the victims, I'm guessing, near the tonsils. The throat is the the first thing that you see Trunks, Kuririn, Goten and Maron grab when they're about to become possessed or when the Sacred water is doing its thing. Number 18 does not grab her throat, she's just laying there watching the sacred water work. Goten turns as soon as he drinks water.
- I found it interesting that all Humans/Saiyans possessed by Bebi were living regular lives back on Earth and had Political Posters over the city portraying Bebi as their Supreme Leader.
-Once Gohan and Goten were possessed, the Human interactions between those who had no idea like Chichi for example and Goten/Gohan felt really eerie. They knew something was wrong, but couldn't tell what it was.
- I think I said this once, but if you're going to make SS4 look weak, at least do it right, you know? I mean, Goku turns SS4, Beats the crap out of Bebi. Bebi turns Golden Oozaru but is still no match for 4. A Double KO happens, and Bebi regains his powers through the Blutz machine. Bebi is clearly dominating 4, now Goku asks for more power from Gohan and the others to defeat him. What would I have done differently? Have Bebi Vegeta turn SS4 and have a very close match with Goku defeating Bebi in extremis OR, after the double KO, have Goku defeat Bebi the same way he ended up doing ( 10X Kamehameha, Tail off, Send Bebi to the sun).
-Going back to things going Ape shit. We only get one "feel good" moment after Goku defeats Bebi. Everyone gathers at Dende's place and you can hear "Zard's Don't you See" playing on the background (which I thought was a cool touch since they didn't play the TV Version but rather the Single version which is also one of my favorites). Goku is watching the sacred water covering Earth in the distance as a Rainbow appears on the background, and as I was enjoying the moment, Earth's starts crumbling and I say to myself (Shit! I forgot, the Dragon Balls!)

- The Rainbow lasted 8 seconds but who's counting????
- The technique that Goku used to cut Bebi's tail, I was looking at his hands and fingers and it looks similar to the Kikohu Technique.
- Over the Bebi/SS4 Fight, you can hear Bebi saying in Japanese "Take this!" several times. That same line is used in DB Final Bout whenever Bebi does an attack, which makes me think they got it straight from the episode. Same applies to Goku's 10X Kamehameha.

Concluding, I think the Bebi saga was great. The BGM was great. Great enough to make feel uneasy about almost every moment. Like Goku had no chance at the beginning and ended up almost dying if it wasn't for Kibitoshin. Buu sacrificing himself for his friend Satan and to fuse back with Oob. Goku reaching SS4 which is the highlight of GT in my opinion. We got a great antagonist but with a price, no Vegeta for the first GT Saga.
Last edited by successoroffate on Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Re: DBGT Bebi Saga Review

Post by Vijay » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:10 pm

I like everything you mentioned. For me, it left overall "bad taste" thanks to Uchiyama handling the last, final battle.

There were some highlights like SSJ4 Goku's ascension sequence & everything Baby did before that. I felt Baby was unique villain, TILL watched Z and noticed he was Cell & Buu ripoff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:31 pm

Vijay wrote:I like everything you mentioned. For me, it left overall "bad taste" thanks to Uchiyama handling the last, final battle.

There were some highlights like SSJ4 Goku's ascension sequence & everything Baby did before that. I felt Baby was unique villain, TILL watched Z and noticed he was Cell & Buu ripoff
How did he ripoff Cell and Buu?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:32 pm

The Bebi arc is one of GT"s few (only?) decent arc. It isn't perfect and has the same flaws as everything else in GT, but it's the one that felt like it tried.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:35 pm

precita wrote:The Bebi arc is one of GT"s few (only?) decent arc. It isn't perfect and has the same flaws as everything else in GT, but it's the one that felt like it tried.
You don't believe they tried with the final arc?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:50 pm

ABED wrote:
Vijay wrote:I like everything you mentioned. For me, it left overall "bad taste" thanks to Uchiyama handling the last, final battle.

Well, At least Bebi came in and went straight with a plan. I want to be powerful and I want Goku dead and he did ( well, sorta). While first form Cell sucked the life out of humans and Buu literally killed everyone on Earth, they didn't have a plan that worked.
-----
-----

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:51 pm

Nice to see a thread talking positively about GT.

I prefer the Shadow Dragons arc, but I have a lot of love for the Baby arc too. Granted, the lack of Vegeta in the meat of the arc is a shame, but when he was in it, he was great fun; in particular, the shaving of his moustache is hilarious, and it completely redeems how stupid the thing looked, in my mind(Especially given the fact he shaves it in basically his second appearance). Plus, that whole thing gives some insight into Vegeta and Bra's relationship, which -- despite the fact we never saw a lot of it -- I've always thought was rather heart-warming.

I've always thought Piccolo's death was amazing. Granted, they could have set it up better, but it's quite fitting to him, and the way his character had developed over the years that he would end his life saving a child and a dog, aswell as Goku. And at the same time, his death isn't necessarily without meaning, as Piccolo dying gets rid of the black Dragon Balls permanently, thus allowing him to save the world one last time, ironically at the same time as the Earth is destroyed(Kind of double-ironically, given that half of this version of Piccolo was Kami, the previous God of Earth).
Plus, it's a really good scene.

Despite a lot of missed opportunities, I really like Baby as a villain; he's creepy, menacing, an interesting idea, and like everything in GT, his design is really cool.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:54 pm

I love the Baby Saga. Best part of GT and I like it much better than most if not all of Super.

I prefer the dub but Tokunaga's music with so many scenes including the SSJ4 transformation is wonderful.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:58 pm

I've always thought was rather heart-warming.
Yeah, it's not hyperbole if he said he would kill anyone who hit on his teenage daughter.

It's not much of a Toriyama moment, but I like the flashback to Goku and Pan's family outing where they go to the beach.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:59 pm

I like how it was close to the king Piccolo arc where the villain wins for awhile and has his way with earth before Goku gets back up and finds a way to take him down.

I also think this arc has the best character usage in GT and if the 1st and last 2 arcs used them like this then maybe it wouldn't get as much hate as it does. It also wasn't rushed like the last 2 so that would've helped as well.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:09 pm

sintzu wrote:I like how it was close to the king Piccolo arc where the villain wins for awhile and has his way with earth before Goku gets back up and finds a way to take him down.

I also think this arc has the best character usage in GT and if the 1st and last 2 arcs used them like this then maybe it wouldn't get as much hate as it does. It also wasn't rushed like the last 2 so that would've helped as well.
I forgot that one too and I thought about it as I was watching. Bebi won for a while just like Piccolo.
-----
-----

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:16 pm

successoroffate wrote:We got a great antagonist but with a price, no Vegeta for the first GT Saga.
He did more here than the last 2 arcs. Baby taking him over instead of Goku or Gohan proves that he was stronger than them and he was Baby's main body for most of the arc.

In the last 2 arcs all he did was get thrown around looking like an idiot.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:20 pm

sintzu wrote:
successoroffate wrote:We got a great antagonist but with a price, no Vegeta for the first GT Saga.
He did more here than the last 2 arcs. Baby taking him over instead of Goku or Gohan proves that he was stronger than them and he was Baby's main body for most of the arc.

In the last 2 arcs all he did was get thrown around looking like an idiot.
Who was stronger than Goku or Gohan? Vegeta?

In the last arc, Vegeta didn't look like an idiot. He didn't get the victory but he looked like a hero.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:28 pm

ABED wrote:Who was stronger than Goku or Gohan? Vegeta?

In the last arc, Vegeta didn't look like an idiot. He didn't get the victory but he looked like a hero.
Yeah because Baby picked him over them. If they were stronger then wouldn't have took one of them instead ? this was of course before Goku got his tail pulled out and reached Ssj4.

Goku took down all 7 dragons while Vegeta did little to nothing so I don't see how he's a hero. Yeah he didn't give up but nither did the others.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:42 pm

successoroffate wrote:
ABED wrote:

Well, At least Bebi came in and went straight with a plan. I want to be powerful and I want Goku dead and he did ( well, sorta). While first form Cell sucked the life out of humans and Buu literally killed everyone on Earth, they didn't have a plan that worked.
Try saying that to Piccolo, Vegeta, and the androids about Cell's plan not working.

Cell is also the only villain to noy best Goku in combat once and for all but successfully kill him.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:54 pm

sintzu wrote:

Yeah because Baby picked him over them. If they were stronger then wouldn't have took one of them instead ? this was of course before Goku got his tail pulled out and reached Ssj4.

Goku took down all 7 dragons while Vegeta did little to nothing so I don't see how he's a hero. Yeah he didn't give up but nither did the others.
Well, while Vegeta wanted to become SS4 just because Goku did, he did propose the idea of fusing together which was obviously the only chance they got to beat Omega, except for the time limitations. So, he was the Hero at least for an episode and a half.
-----
-----

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:55 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
successoroffate wrote:
ABED wrote: How did he ripoff Cell and Buu?
Try saying that to Piccolo, Vegeta, and the androids about Cell's plan not working.

Cell is also the only villain to noy best Goku in combat once and for all but successfully kill him.
Sure, "I'm not going to Kill you Goku just yet, LET'S HAVE A TOURNAMENT."
-----
-----

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:01 pm

ABED wrote: It's not much of a Toriyama moment, but I like the flashback to Goku and Pan's family outing where they go to the beach.
It's only about thirty seconds, but that scene is actually one of my favorite scenes in GT. I honestly hope we get an episode of that in Super as the timeline is just about there.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:04 pm

sintzu wrote:

Or you could argue that Goku is proven to be stronger because he couldn't get Goku if he tried. Goku was the stronger and better warrior. It also makes ZERO sense that Vegeta somehow got stronger than Goku.

The other characters being heroic as well doesn't preclude Vegeta from being seen as heroic. It's not a race. Vegeta could've run away, but he stayed and fought a battle against an enemy he knew he couldn't defeat.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:42 pm

ABED wrote: Or you could argue that Goku is proven to be stronger because he couldn't get Goku if he tried.

It also makes ZERO sense that Vegeta somehow got stronger than Goku.
If that was the case then he wouldn't have been able to "kill" him as easily as he did. Goku was outmatched on every level.

Goku couldn't hold Ssj3 so he obviously got weaker thanks to being turned into a kid.