Should TFS be blamed for the treatment of Yamcha?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Should TFS be blamed for the treatment of Yamcha?

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:50 am

dario03 wrote:Yes.

And in other related news...
Nobody ever thought Goku was a bad dad until TFS. And Spaceballs is to blame for Ewoks being in Return Of The Jedi.
I've made and have seen jokes about Goku being a horrible father loooooooong before TFS started using it during the Frieza episodes. You guys seriously overestimate their influence of the fandom, or just didn't have much experience with the pre-TFS fandom it seems.

90% of the running gags in TFS have their origin in long running fandom gags. Or just stuff that's already in the show but exaggerated. I mean, by any reasonable measure...Goku ain't the best parent or husband around.
Last edited by jjgp1112 on Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:21 am

Nobody ever thought Goku was a bad dad until TFS. And Spaceballs is to blame for Ewoks being in Return Of The Jedi.
Nobody thought he was a bad dad until TFS because TFS pointed out things that were already there. The only thing they did was actually make Gohan take more notice than he already did.

Gohan asking Piccolo for a replica of his Gi during the Cell Saga instead of wanting to wear his father's colors is clear proof of who he looks up to more.

He asked Goku to train him like Piccolo did in the time chamber because he learned better that way. Goku was being to easy on Gohan because he didn't want to hurt his son, but Gohan knew he needed that push like Piccolo would have given to actually get stronger.

Gohan loves his dad. But he looks at Piccolo as his true teacher. Even in Super!

If you think about it, Abridged just makes fun of what's already there and exaggerates it for comedy's sake.

Chichi the raging housewife? Sorry, that's canon.

"Princess Trunks"? As i've recently found out, apparently in the manga, a gay man found him attractive!

Goku's an idiot? Hmm...

Numbers give him trouble.

Can teleport, but doesn't do it to kill Frieza.

Didn't kill Frieza in the first place.

Thought BUBBLES was a "martial arts master".

Let Raditz tail go.

Gives Cell a Senzu bean.

And that's just in Z. Forget about DB and S. Those just make him look worse! "Here lady who makes deals with the dead! Have this button that summons the god of the multiverse!" Gonna blame this on TFS too?

This thread is a joke thread. Problem is, I'm not laughing.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:51 am

TFS and Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged get blamed for skewering their shows fan-bases views to them. But aside from a few jokes, a lot of the characters flaws are just great exaggerations of the originals. I noticed when Dark Side of Dimensions came out everyone was pointing out how Kaiba was a big rich asshole and that they must have copied YGOTAS, but go back and watch it, that's how Kaiba always was in the dub, Little Kuriboh just made it more well known.

Same for the Piccolo is Gohan's dad thing. I mean Funimation has made jokes about that before even on their social media. It has roots in the source material too, TFS just points it out and exaggerates it more. TFS's writing team are DBZ fans just like everyone here, most of their jokes are observation that any fan trying to make a parody would notice. I will however blame them for Kuririn becoming a punching bag in the fanbase, he deserves better. At least Lanipator has admitted Kuririn is one of his favourite characters.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:08 am

jjgp1112 wrote:

I've made and have seen jokes about Goku being a horrible father loooooooong before TFS started using it during the Frieza episodes. You guys seriously overestimate their influence of the fandom, or just didn't have much experience with the pre-TFS fandom it seems.

90% of the running gags in TFS have their origin in long running fandom gags. Or just stuff that's already in the show but exaggerated. I mean, by any reasonable measure...Goku ain't the best parent or husband around.
I've had plenty of experience with pre-tfs fandom. Its how I can make that joke.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:18 am

It's not TFS, but I recall someone claiming the reason "It's over 9000!" became a thing was because of a meme created in the aughts. As someone who has been in the online DB fandom almost since the beginning, I can assure you, Drummond's delivery of that line was talked about as soon as it happened.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:54 am

jjgp1112 wrote:

cheddarsword wrote:

Nobody thought he was a bad dad until TFS because TFS pointed out things that were already there. The only thing they did was actually make Gohan take more notice than he already did.
dario3 was being sarcastic/ironic.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:04 am

Yes. We should all boycott TFS and send them death threats[/sarcasm]
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:12 am

I'm SUPER TEMPTED to make a "Should YAMCHA be blamed for the treatment of TFS.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:41 am

I can't stress this enough, and I'm somehow actually getting a bit agitated by this here...

I love DBZA, I'm buddies with Scott, we've had him on the podcast multiple times, I think they deserve a lot more credit than they're even given for a lot of specific things... but holy cow people. I said it before, and I'll say it again: people were fans of Dragon Ball before TeamFourStar existed, and some of the things you're talking about as being "sourced" from DBZA have existed as thoughts/jokes/memes/opinions for DECADES PRIOR TO THIS.

Goku being a terrible father sourced from DBZA? MY MOTHER-IN-LAW has trotted that out as a joke for as long as I've known her. Which... uhh... yeah, pre-dates DBZA by a longshot.
ABED wrote:It's not TFS, but I recall someone claiming the reason "It's over 9000!" became a thing was because of a meme created in the aughts. As someone who has been in the online DB fandom almost since the beginning, I can assure you, Drummond's delivery of that line was talked about as soon as it happened.
I've been in things just as long as you, but you're wrong here: that as a meme is absolutely 100% attributed to Kajetokun's 2006 video. Drummond's delivery pre-meme was always acknowledged, but was never "a thing" prior to the video. Kirbopher did an interview with him a couple years back detailing its origin.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Generico Garbagio
Beyond Newbie

Post by Generico Garbagio » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:47 am

rereboy wrote:However, TSF doesn't make more jokes about Yamcha than other characters. For exemple, Krillin is FAR more made fun of in TSF than Yamcha just due to the fact that he appears more in the series. I mean, he even has a dedicated owned counter...
Good old Krillin Owned Counter. Yamcha has no such counter!

I guess Krillin has a bigger KOC.

If you did read it please tell me how.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:02 am

VegettoEX wrote:I can't stress this enough, and I'm somehow actually getting a bit agitated by this here...

I love DBZA, I'm buddies with Scott, we've had him on the podcast multiple times, I think they deserve a lot more credit than they're even given for a lot of specific things... but holy cow people. I said it before, and I'll say it again: people were fans of Dragon Ball before TeamFourStar existed, and some of the things you're talking about as being "sourced" from DBZA have existed as thoughts/jokes/memes/opinions for DECADES PRIOR TO THIS.

Goku being a terrible father sourced from DBZA? MY MOTHER-IN-LAW has trotted that out as a joke for as long as I've known her. Which... uhh... yeah, pre-dates DBZA by a longshot.
This is basically it. Though I do get the impression that there are a lot of "newer" fans out there who really never knew DB without DBZA, so they think that all of the jokes came from DBZA simply because they don't see those same jokes in the actual series. That's just my two cents, but so many people attribute Kai for getting into it or talk about experiencing the series through the orange bricks, which makes me believe that they're "newer" fans. With so many new fans, they just weren't experienced to the series before things like DBZA.

I sincerely don't think that Yamucha's treatment comes from DBZA... especially because how much of it really focused on Yamucha? Yamucha is such a minuscule character in DBZA -- which, by the way, isn't because they think he's a minuscule character so much as he was always portrayed as one in DBZ.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:51 am

Absolutely not. The franchise has been self-aware of Yamcha's lowly status in the story and has had fun with it many years before TFS existed.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:02 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I can't stress this enough, and I'm somehow actually getting a bit agitated by this here...

ABED wrote:It's not TFS, but I recall someone claiming the reason "It's over 9000!" became a thing was because of a meme created in the aughts. As someone who has been in the online DB fandom almost since the beginning, I can assure you, Drummond's delivery of that line was talked about as soon as it happened.
I've been in things just as long as you, but you're wrong here: that as a meme is absolutely 100% attributed to Kajetokun's 2006 video. Drummond's delivery pre-meme was always acknowledged, but was never "a thing" prior to the video. Kirbopher did an interview with him a couple years back detailing its origin.
Define "a thing" because it was definitely talked about a lot, and not merely acknowledged. It may have picked up steam as the internet community became bigger and memes proliferated, but "It's over 9000" was definitely widespread amongst the DB online fandom well before someone took credit for it and certainly well before 2006.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:17 pm

rereboy wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:

cheddarsword wrote:

dario3 was being sarcastic/ironic.
Its like we're the only people that have seen Spaceballs. Or at least know that it came out years later and had nothing to do with Ewoks. Need some more Scifi Anime crossover or something :D

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 pm

dario03 wrote:Its like we're the only people that have seen Spaceballs. Or at least know that it came out years later and had nothing to do with Ewoks. Need some more Scifi Anime crossover or something :D
Spaceballs was a parody of Star Wars. The lead character took the role of both Luke and Han and rolled them into one character that acted like neither of them. Chewbacca was replaced by a humanoid talking dog, C3PO is now Rule 63 and is the guardian of Leia's replacement.

Lightsabers are now formed from rings.

Darth Vader's replacement has a hella huge helmet and has a thing for coffee.

The Death Star's replacement has two way communication screens in the toilet stalls.

Upon being told to comb the desert, the troopers use a giant comb to literally comb the desert.

I've seen spaceballs. I mostly used your comment as a catalyst for my argument against this topic's main point.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:55 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Yamcha as a somewhat self-aware and playful butt-of-the-joke has been a "thing" that more than predates TeamFourStar. This is
precisely (part of) what makes him such a lovable and endearing character. See: the entire first arc of the series.

Same with Kuririn. See: DBZ movies, specifically 1, 2, 6, 7, and a little 8.

People were fans of this series before TeamFourStar existed.
This. Yamcha has always been one of my favourite characters but I've always known he was a bit of a "joke" compared to the big hitters in this series, and I've been following this series since before TFS.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:05 pm

In OG Dragon Ball and Z, Yamucha's had *moments* of being shown in "less-than-stellar" portrayal, but those instances shouldn't define his entire character. For example, in the anime adaptation of Z, he was shown post-Cell defeat as the joke of the group -- for one moment (Dragon summoning). Prior to that, he'd gotten Goku out of harms way, stayed by Goku's side, helped try to track down "imperfect" Cell, was about to take off after Tenshinhan to put up a resistance to Cell after Piccolo had "been done in" until Roshi talked him out of it, and he was there during the Cell Games in support of Goku and co. His good intentions and willingness to be there for his friends -- fighting capacity or not -- far outweighed some of the more joke-y moments (like 9 to 1). He even got Tenshinhan's respect during their match back when he (Ten) started out as a big trash-talker to everyone.

Yamucha's limited screentime in Super has been reduced to "Let's see Yamucha make an ass of himself today!". Cue laugh-track and internet buzz. It's sad that this is now the standard expectation for how this character's time is used, everytime. It's a complete waste, imo.

I think that online culture in general could be the influence for why many things in modern DB have been presented in the way that they have. The parody series is a byproduct of all that, memes,etc. Who knows the biggest piece of the pie at this point...

Or maybe -- after two decades of low activity in relation to DB -- Toriyama had time to reflect on some things, and this is the be-all conclusion for Yamucha that he settled on and is running with... ? I would hope not.

Kunzait_83 wrote:[...]people who directly equate production of the Japanese series in importance with production of the FUNimation dub as directly comparable. Despite the fact that only ONE of those two things is the thing that's actually MAKING the show and creating the story and characters from wholecloth (be it on Toriyama's or Toei's end) and the other one is pretty much doing fuck-all besides getting some VAs to play Whose Line is it Anyway? with the already long-since previously finished result.
One thing that I feel can maybe be argued as it pertains to TOEI's production of DB content post-Yamamoto scandal, is that they appear to have taken some cues from FUNi's old approach (replacement OST) with the handling of the soundtracks of the latest series (Kai 2.0, Super). As in, cheap and unfitting arrangements and placements are a GO! Onto the next phase!--->Dragon Ball=$$$$$

Perhaps even, with the old English in-house dub (read: super cheap) in general being viewed as mostly negatively received yet still generated Mt. Everest worth of profit internationally, that may have been taken notice by Shueisha/TOEI as well... ? Which leads us to Super's (and Kai 2.0) objectively inferior overall production standards for a DB series, if we're comparing to what had preceded them. Or maybe even, that quality of modern DB animated material would end up this way inevitably as being a product in how things are handled in the animation industry in relation to ultra-profitable brands in recent years... ?

Just an uneducated guess coming from only my impressions...

Edit:
Metalwario64 wrote:and every top YouTube comment in any DBZ video is an abridged quote.
On the rare occasion that I have watched a DB video (99% of the time in Japanese), I noticed this as well. Even the Japanese only language videos are not spared. :(
Last edited by Super_Divine_Genki on Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:18 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Yamcha as a somewhat self-aware and playful butt-of-the-joke has been a "thing" that more than predates TeamFourStar. This is
precisely (part of) what makes him such a lovable and endearing character. See: the entire first arc of the series.

Same with Kuririn. See: DBZ movies, specifically 1, 2, 6, 7, and a little 8.
Never like this though. Toriyama never, at any point in the original run (nor in his manga in general) designates any character so wholly to the role of being the butt of jokes--not even those who are regularly complicit in their own come-uppances such as Senbei or Kame-Sennin. Mr. Satan and a few comedic antagonists (a la early Dragon Ball villains, King Nikochan, etc.) might be as close as he comes. Every main character, including Yamcha, is treated more or less sincerely. Certainly none are seen as the butt of jokes by other characters in the series, and that's the major difference for me.

So there is something different happening with Yamcha in Super, where in the baseball episode, characters like Bulma begin questioning his usefulness outright. Where he's the constant butt of jokes in the recruitment episodes, where he instantly makes Bra cry, twice serves to nearly exacerbate Beerus, etc. None of the latter examples there are egregious on their own, but his treatment at the hands of other characters in and after the baseball episode certainly does stick out.

Comparing it to Kuririn's treatment in the Z movies feels apt. This kind of insincere character treatment has always been something Toei is more willing to get into than Toriyama. (And indeed there was an early warning sign for what would come to be some of the worst elements of Super's character writing early on when a "Why only me?" Kuririn gag slipped into the script of one of its Battle of Gods adaptation episodes.)

That said, I think people tend to vastly overestimate TFS' international pull. Much like Broli, Yamcha seems to have become something of a meme in Japan in the years between the original run and the post-2013 revival. His writing in Super is revisionist, it is post-internet, but I wouldn't lay that at the feet of TFS. The fact that some Western fans are convinced he's always been written this way, or that Dragon Ball itself has ever treated its characters this way, might be another story. (Though even then, that could only be laid upon TFS in a world in which WeeklyTubeShow's "Yamcha: RUINED" doesn't exist; internet, is your memory so short?)

I really want to do away this binary approach to "never remotely goofy" and "constant butt of jokes, even among other members of the cast" though, because I don't think it's one that colors Toriyama's writing in the slightest (and I think not falling into that easy trap is what keeps the bulk of his catalogue so memorable). I'd like it to be able to have more sincere discussions about the series' character writing. When I think of Toriyama, I think of someone who treats his casts sincerely in their worlds, and allows them to be treated sincerely by one another despite all their surface absurdities. What we're getting with Yamcha in Super may not be the result of TFS' writing, but it isn't the result of Toriyama's either.
Last edited by Cipher on Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:51 pm

The fact that we got Yamcha's death pose in official material tells me that the producers/creative staff are influenced by the internet. Fans are to blame for making that a meme. What's funny about that? I still have no idea just like "IT'S OVER 9000".

I have no memory of TFS, so I have no idea if they have anything to do with it. However, the producers of new material era Dragon Ball are really bringing a lot of ideas that existed within the fandom that everyone joked about for years to life and that makes me think the fandom is being given a lot of attention. Dragon Ball Room is proof of that.

The hardcore Japanese fans from what I've heard on Twitter have complained about DBS' terrible portrayal(flanderization) of certain characters and Yamcha is the most easy one. It's no surprise really. So, its a mix of the fans and the producers giving attention to said fans' tastes who are to blame.
Last edited by Saikyo no Senshi on Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:58 pm

I'm kind of done hearing about TFS. It's become far too big for its own good. Anything comedic in Dragon Ball and people have to shout "LuuuuuuuL TFS". It's like, no, Dragon Ball has contained comedy since before some of the TFS guys were even born. I'm 100% convinced TFS had nothing to do with Yamcha's current state in Super or anywhere else