Which Piccolo voice do you prefer: Chris Sabat or Scott McNeil?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Which Piccolo voice do you prefer: Chris Sabat or Scott McNeil?

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:21 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I surprisingly agree with the whole "Furukawa is decent at best thing". Even he wondered at one point why he was being cast. There's a whole interview where he said that.
The reason why he was cast as Piccolo is because he's a very talented voice actor. And I don't see how he's only decent. I still think he's much better than Sabat despite being in his seventies. Sabat's great now, but I think there are other actors who could play Piccolo much better than he does. Same thing with Vegeta and Yamcha.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:35 pm

I'm not even a fan of the Funimation dub, its nice but its not the best either. I didnt say what I said without love for Furukawa, I love him, but I like the foreign voices for Piccolo like the Latin American one (Yes, I'm biased towards my dub, surprise!) Carlos Segundo which give a more rough, tough and demonic sound.

This is weird because Funimation's Portgas D Ace actor suffers from the opposite problem, TOO tough and rough and WAY too old. Furukawa sounds way younger, nice and spirited.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:19 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I'm not even a fan of the Funimation dub, its nice but its not the best either. I didnt say what I said without love for Furukawa, I love him, but I like the foreign voices for Piccolo like the Latin American one (Yes, I'm biased towards my dub, surprise!) Carlos Segundo which give a more rough, tough and demonic sound.

This is weird because Funimation's Portgas D Ace actor suffers from the opposite problem, TOO tough and rough and WAY too old. Furukawa sounds way younger, nice and spirited.
I've been watching the Latin American DBZ dub and the voices are great. I can see why people love the dub.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:51 am

I'm not really familiar enough with the Ocean dub to have any form of attachment to it, so McNeil's Piccolo voice just kinda sounds cartoonish and goofy to me. Sabat's initial portrayal wasn't much better. All that gravel-gargling made it sound like Sabat was trying really hard to sound cool and badass. However that was almost 20 years ago, and the man has improved leaps and bounds in that time. Nowadays, Sabat's portrayal of Piccolo (and Vegeta) sounds much closer to his natural speaking voice and his acting comes across as much more natural and much less forced because of it. The only downside is that Vegeta's and Piccolo's voices sometimes blend together, but that's more of a nitpick than anything else.

Though Toshio Furukawa is definitely the best Piccolo in my eyes.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:17 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:Sabat is boss. So is the TFS VA, and Toshio Furukawa was decent from what I recall.
Furukawa only Decent ? I mean yes everyone is entitled to their opinion but still can you tell me why you found his Piccolo's voice inferior Sabat ?
I just don't have much of a memory of Furukawa's Piccolo. I'm sure it's perfectly good but I like Sabat a lot as Piccolo and as many other roles. Vegeta, however, I strongly prefer Ryo Horikawa's voice because it's far more natural and doesn't sound strained in the slightest.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:40 am

floofychan333 wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:Sabat is boss. So is the TFS VA, and Toshio Furukawa was decent from what I recall.
Furukawa only Decent ? I mean yes everyone is entitled to their opinion but still can you tell me why you found his Piccolo's voice inferior Sabat ?
I just don't have much of a memory of Furukawa's Piccolo. I'm sure it's perfectly good but I like Sabat a lot as Piccolo and as many other roles. Vegeta, however, I strongly prefer Ryo Horikawa's voice because it's far more natural and doesn't sound strained in the slightest.
I think Furukawa is much better Voice Actor overall compared to Chris Sabat as Sabat's Piccolo is fine now but still all he does is deepens it and give a hulk type bruttish voice with same grunts as vegeta whereas Furukawa gives him a calm Deep voice but with good Demonic laughs and Grunts and also he has much better range too as he also voiced General Blue who was a Homosexual Character still nailed it,
If you compare his General Blue voice to the voice he gave for Ataru Moroboshi in Uresei Yatsura and his Piccolo sounds much more manlier and aggressive than those two which shows he has really good Vocal range than Sabat
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30