Super: Yay or Nay?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

emperior
I Live Here

Re: Super: Yay or Nay?

Post by emperior » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:36 am

For me is a big yay. Story-wise it's really good. If they went back to correct all the bad looking drawings (and animation) up until episode 67, then I would like it even more. From episode 77 the art and animation have been surprisingly good and consistent, so I hope it won't break anymore.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:51 pm

Eradicatethesaiyans wrote:
Universe 7 has its ups and downs. The whole idea really allows the Dragon Ball franchise to introduce more characters and come up with interesting ways to continue
I didn't like how Toei was trying to make Mr. Satan relevant again. He's done. He's a useless character and he's always been. Hit was simply a bad villain. He was a weak excuse to bring back Frieza and was very lame. Black Goku and Zamasu are okay, I guess. I'm tired of all of the Goku recolors though.

Super doesn't seem like it has a challenge to it. Nothing seems hard or a threat for the characters anymore and that was really something that pulled me away from enjoying Super.

(Looking back, I don't mind Goku getting the center of attention, I mean, he is the main character and all. But I like all of the characters joining in and helping him on his quests, or at least standing in the sidelines like they always do, unless they already do that. I'm not sure.)
Mr. Satan?? Don't you mean Pilaf?

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:55 pm

Hit's not even a villain either, so I'm not sure why he said that.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:09 pm

It's fairly good for an extreme modernization and though it does pander to nostalgic people it does so effectively. I'm not very far into it but I'm enjoying it so far and I have high expectations for the coming episodes, subbed and dubbed. I'm watching the dub (pile on the hate) and I must say, it's quite good and doesn't recoil at swearing on occasion or throwing in the odd Japanese word like "takoyaki," so it's certainly worth watching. However, if you want to get ahead, watch the sub.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:11 pm

Honestly? What I'd recommend to anyone trying to get into Super is to just start from the Universal Survival Arc. Everything else is either trash (BoG & RoF) or just mediocre at best (U6, FT). You only need to know some stuff about the U6 arc to understand the Universal Survival Arc (maybe i'd recommend watching the U6 arc too since it's quick, relevant, and definitely the second best arc and Hit, Cabba, and Frost are probably all going to be important characters in US arc). Everything in Super felt like a bad fanfiction to me. So far the Universal Survival Arc actually feels like a worthy successor to Z, both in plot, animation, and art. It still has its fair share of problems (writing is still very hit and miss) but it is easily without a doubt the best arc to date that has already far surpassed the other ones.

I know of a few friends who I tried to get into Super while the FT arc was still going on and they basically immediately gave up on it because it didn't feel or look anything like Z. I'm now trying to get them into the US arc since I promised them it's a lot closer to Z, but the damage has already been done and they have no interest. I kind of don't blame them.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:05 am

Asura wrote:
I know of a few friends who I tried to get into Super while the FT arc was still going on and they basically immediately gave up on it because it didn't feel or look anything like Z. .
Really? The Zamasu arc felt far more like DBZ than the current arc did. Felt like they were channeling the Cell saga mixed in with the Saiyan saga all at once.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:05 am

Asura wrote:
I know of a few friends who I tried to get into Super while the FT arc was still going on and they basically immediately gave up on it because it didn't feel or look anything like Z. .
Really? The Zamasu arc felt far more like DBZ than the current arc did. Felt like they were channeling the Cell saga mixed in with the Saiyan saga all at once.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:47 am

I just finished the future trunks arc and i'm enjoying it, honestly you have people that will give super all kinds of shit for everything it does and act like its the worst thing ever, and on the other end you have some people that defend it no matter what because it has the toriyama seal of approval. I'm somewhere in the middle.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:00 am

I don't see how anyone can say Super doesn't emulate the DBZ experience, basically, all of the same horrid writing decisions from Namek onwards are there and keep messing things up :P
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:53 am

ekrolo2 wrote:I don't see how anyone can say Super doesn't emulate the DBZ experience, basically, all of the same horrid writing decisions from Namek onwards are there and keep messing things up :P
Manly because they think DBZ is some hardcore edgy show and super is to goofy for them.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:02 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:I don't see how anyone can say Super doesn't emulate the DBZ experience, basically, all of the same horrid writing decisions from Namek onwards are there and keep messing things up :P
I'm willing to bet if the Cell saga happened NOW and not 20+ years ago, when Gohan went SSJ2 the people here would be ranting about Gohan's "unexplained" power up like they did with Trunks rage form in the Zamasu arc. Nobody even knew what a SSJ2 was until Goku starting naming the forms to Fat Buu over 50+ episodes later.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:07 pm

precita wrote:
I'm willing to bet if the Cell saga happened NOW and not 20+ years ago, when Gohan went SSJ2 the people here would be ranting about Gohan's "unexplained" power up like they did with Trunks rage form in the Zamasu arc. Nobody even knew what a SSJ2 was until Goku starting naming the forms to Fat Buu over 50+ episodes later.
Probably would but Gohan's is still better since Gohan was established to get pissed from anger from the get go and Goku keeps hinting at greater power for him since he leaves the ROSAT whereas Trunks just gets a new SS form because reasons. This is actually one thing from the Cell arc that doesn't irritate the shit out of me personally.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:46 am

precita wrote:
Gohan's power-up wouldn't irritate people because it was hinted from the beginning that rage made him stronger and it was hinted since Vegeta got defeated by 18 that Super Saiyan could in fact be surpassed and we saw Vegeta, Trunks and Goku trying to do so.

What would irritate people nowadays from Z would be:
- Future Trunks arriving from nowhere as a SSJ and slicing Freezer
- Future Trunks would be called an asspull and many other things as his Super counterpart
- Everyone would hate Goten and Kid Trunks getting Super Saiyan so easily and Gohan becoming Great Saiyaman would enrage many people
- SSJ3 would be called a mega asspull (it actually was but I still love it)
- Gohan not getting the kill on Super Buu would cause an outrage

I'm sure Androids and Buu arcs would have gotten more shit than Super if those aired in 2015
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:02 am

emperior wrote:
precita wrote:
Gohan's power-up wouldn't irritate people because it was hinted from the beginning that rage made him stronger and it was hinted since Vegeta got defeated by 18 that Super Saiyan could in fact be surpassed and we saw Vegeta, Trunks and Goku trying to do so.

What would irritate people nowadays from Z would be:
- Future Trunks arriving from nowhere as a SSJ and slicing Freezer
- Future Trunks would be called an asspull and many other things as his Super counterpart
- Everyone would hate Goten and Kid Trunks getting Super Saiyan so easily and Gohan becoming Great Saiyaman would enrage many people
- SSJ3 would be called a mega asspull (it actually was but I still love it)
- Gohan not getting the kill on Super Buu would cause an outrage

I'm sure Androids and Buu arcs would have gotten more shit than Super if those aired in 2015
Vegeta getting SS is way worse then Trunks or Gohan getting it. At least the latter two are good people who have the necessary personality to achieve it whereas, on Namek, Vegeta can't get it because he's an irredeemable piece of shit human being and then in the Android arc he can get it SPECIFICALLY because of the very same thing!

Most of the other stuff you mention like Goten & Trunks getting SS easily, SS3 coming out of nowhere and Gohan not killing Super Boo are pretty hotly debated still, regardless of being part of the original run.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:14 am

Vegeta getting SS is way worse then Trunks or Gohan getting it. At least the latter two are good people who have the necessary personality to achieve it whereas, on Namek, Vegeta can't get it because he's an irredeemable piece of shit human being and then in the Android arc he can get it SPECIFICALLY because of the very same thing!
Everyone just took Goku and Kuririn's comments at face value, but SS seems more about genetics than personality.

Why would anyone think Trunks came out of nowhere? "Out of nowhere" is an abused phrase.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.