Would you say Dragon Ball is the most recognizable anime/manga worldwide?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Would you say Dragon Ball is the most recognizable anime/manga worldwide?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:37 pm

I got the idea for this thread after reading a super famous Brazilian voice actor Wendel Bezerra (voice of Goku, which he is mostly popular for) talking about how much the series had influenced him:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/6 ... bing_goku/

Anyways, I always had a feeling it's really well known to the general public... I mean, it's been a pop culture icon for years. Just about everyone I've met knows about Dragon Ball... even my parents know about it (although only through DBZ) and they don't watch anime at all. It's like one of the only anime you can watch without being considered a nerd.

The only other contender I can think of for this title is Pokemon but it's mostly known through the video games. The only time I imagine the Pokemon anime being more popular is during the whole Pokemon fad and the anime was at the Sinnoh arc where it was highly popular in it's own rights while the Dragon Ball has been going strong all through the years (even if it did decline a bit during the mid and late 2000's).

Sailor Moon was also huge back in the day as it was one of the frontrunners in popularizing anime in the west but it's popularity died off after 2000 and it's only seen a re-emerging in popularity during the last few years.

Now do you think Dragon Ball is the most recognizable anime/manga and if not... what is?
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Would you say Dragon Ball is the most recognizable anime/manga worldwide?

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:38 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:I got the idea for this thread after reading a super famous Brazilian voice actor Wendel Bezerra (voice of Goku, which he is mostly popular for) talking about how much the series had influenced him:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/6 ... bing_goku/

Anyways, I always had a feeling it's really well known to the general public... I mean, it's been a pop culture icon for years. Just about everyone I've met knows about Dragon Ball... even my parents know about it (although only through DBZ) and they don't watch anime at all. It's like one of the only anime you can watch without being considered a nerd.

The only other contender I can think of for this title is Pokemon but it's mostly known through the video games. The only time I imagine the Pokemon anime being more popular is during the whole Pokemon fad and the anime was at the Sinnoh arc where it was highly popular in it's own rights while the Dragon Ball has been going strong all through the years (even if it did decline a bit during the mid and late 2000's).

Sailor Moon was also huge back in the day as it was one of the frontrunners in popularizing anime in the west but it's popularity died off after 2000 and it's only seen a re-emerging in popularity during the last few years.

Now do you think Dragon Ball is the most recognizable anime/manga and if not... what is?
Along with Pokemon? Yes.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:01 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Along with Pokemon ? Yes.
DB has never gotten something as popular as Pokemon Go so I'd put it above it but 2nd place is by no means a bad thing, especially when you take into account the hundreds of anime and manga that are out there.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:01 pm

Pokemon is. Everyone knows about the games but everyone also knows who Ash Ketchum is to the point they still think he's the protagonist of the games too.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:06 pm

No, but it's definitely up there, and rightfully so. Dragon Ball holds up far better than most cartoons, which have a tendency to age about as well as untreated milk of the same approximate age. It's a classic, to be sure.
Retired.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:16 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Dragon Ball holds up far better than most cartoons, which have a tendency to age about as well as untreated milk of the same approximate age.
Can milk even last for 20 years ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:44 pm

While Pokemon is definitely more popular than Dragon Ball, it is a video game series first and anime/manga second. When it comes to series that originate as anime/manga, Dragon Ball is 100% the most popular world wide.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:18 am

I would say Pocket Monsters. My family doesn't know shit about Dragon Ball, but they at least know who Pikachuu is. But, this is by no means factual. I'm not even sure if any kind of factual data can be provided regarding this topic.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:33 am

I would actually be interested in what is the most recognizable Anime/Manga in the world. I have doubts saying it's Dragonball. Like others said, Pokemon is probably way more well known than Dragonball. Out of everyone I know personally, not all of them care about dragonball or even know about it, but they ALL know what Pikachu is. My mother plays the shit out of Pokemon.

So the most well known Anime/manga is mostly likely going to be one of the "Collect the shit out of all these creatures" type things. Things that kids well bug their parents to buy for them. Much like I did mine.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:33 am

Astro Boy and/or speed racer is. Everyone knows about them.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:49 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:I would say Pocket Monsters. My family doesn't know shit about Dragon Ball, but they at least know who Pikachuu is. But, this is by no means factual. I'm not even sure if any kind of factual data can be provided regarding this topic.
This is the first time I've actually seen someone call Pokemon as Pocket Monsters. Yes I know that's what Pokemon means but it's just so jarring.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:10 am

Fun fact: The Pokemon anime as a whole has 960+ episodes, 20 movies, and about 25 specials.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:39 am

Even with FUNi's dub aside (sad as it is, regardless of quality it always tends to be the case that US has heavy international influence, due to imperialism), I would probably have to agree. Even in major territories not influenced by FUNi's dub, it seems to be that DB is, if not *the* biggest anime, always pretty popular, at least in my (admittedly limited) experience with international fandom.

I feel like Pokemon isn't as comparable because Japanese video games have historically had far more success (despite their continued marginalization) than so many other non-Hollywood arts (this is solely due to Nintendo picking up the power vaccuum Atari left in the mid-1980s). DB, while the video games are arguably disproportionately popular here, is still primarily & largely popular on the merits of the story (okay, outside of the US, where we had a bastardized adaptation...but still). I don't know if DB is the most recognizable, but it's definitely up there.

I want to say something like Gundam or Astro Boy is the most recognized if not DB, but I'm not too sure about that either. Digimon again has that sort of piggybacking off of a bigger industry, so I'm kind of hesistant to include it.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:16 am

Subjective opinions duh

I think DoragonBoru is right up there with Pokemon. Those 2 were favourites durin my childhood.

Even those who know nothing about DB or Z, would know about Goku. Dude is like Jesus of Anime

I cannot compare which one is bigger/greater: DB or Pokemon

Its as if wondering Right Eye or Left Eye is greater which is crap. Both are equally vital for visual entertainment of which in this case Blond Haired Macho Mens shattering planets & Gorgeous Animals wrecking havoc.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:43 am

I feel that it's is 2nd to Pokemon. It seems everyone knows what Pokemon is, while DBZ, only not as many people know. That's what it seems like to me.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:58 am

Nope. That honor would belong to Pokemon. Pikachu has Mickey Mouse popularity worldwide.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:10 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:Astro Boy and/or speed racer is. Everyone knows about them.
Not exactly... my parents know nothing about it and I doubt my younger cousins do.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:52 pm

Boo Machine wrote:I would actually be interested in what is the most recognizable Anime/Manga in the world. I have doubts saying it's Dragonball.
It's Dragon Ball no it's, and, or buts about it. As someone has said in this thread Pokémon is a gaming franchise first, then anime/manga series second. It's like saying what are the most popular gaming companies and including Microsoft into the mix, when in-reality their a tech-company.

Do we really need a thread like this again? Everyone knows the answer.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:09 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:I would actually be interested in what is the most recognizable Anime/Manga in the world. I have doubts saying it's Dragonball.
It's Dragon Ball no it's, and, or buts about it. As someone has said in this thread Pokémon is a gaming franchise first, then anime/manga series second. It's like saying what's are the most popular gaming companies and including Microsoft into the mix, when in-reality their a tech-company.
Not sure I see much difference. Pokemon maybe mainly a gaming franchise, but it still has a manga and an anime. Which is well known. Though I can't even say for sure it's pokemon, Its just the first thing that comes to mind.
SaiyanGod117 wrote:Do we really need a thread like this again? Everyone knows the answer.
We do not. Thats why many people are saying it's pokemon but others would swear it's Dragonball.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:23 pm

Boo Machine wrote:
Not sure I see much difference. Pokemon maybe mainly a gaming franchise, but it still has a manga and an anime. Which is well known. Though I can't even say for sure it's pokemon, Its just the first thing that comes to mind.
The Pokémon franchise is well-known primarily because of the game, not anime and especially not manga. Just like Microsoft is more well-known because of it's computer software, consumer electronics, and laptops and not the Xbox. Plus if we're are talking about current popularity, the Pokémon anime hasn't been popular since Diamond and Pearl or Sinnoh Region.