Would you say Dragon Ball is the most recognizable anime/manga worldwide?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Re: Would you say Dragon Ball is the most recognizable anime/manga worldwide?

Post by precita » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:47 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:
Not sure I see much difference. Pokemon maybe mainly a gaming franchise, but it still has a manga and an anime. Which is well known. Though I can't even say for sure it's pokemon, Its just the first thing that comes to mind.
The Pokémon franchise is well-known primarily because of the game, not anime and especially not manga. Just like Microsoft is more well-known because of it's computer software, consumer electronics, and laptops and not the Xbox. Plus if we're are talking about current popularity, the Pokémon anime hasn't been popular since Diamond and Pearl or Sinnoh Region.
The XY anime was also very popular. The reason the ratings are lower now is because the show has been airing for 20 years, the original fanbase became adults and outgrew the series and new younger kids don't watch as much anime on TV as they used to. Pokemon still regularly charts the Top 10 ratings in Japan (you can see in the ratings thread in the Dragonball Super forum), so millions of people are still watching it in just Japan alone week after week, not even counting the rest of the world.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:08 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:Astro Boy and/or speed racer is. Everyone knows about them.
Not exactly... my parents know nothing about it and I doubt my younger cousins do.
It was an hyperbole. But DB is really only known by kids, people who grew up in in the 90s-mid 00s, and maybe the parents of those kids. Obviously there are exceptions, but those are the main 3 groups. But my grandparents know what astroboy is. And Speedracer known around the world to.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:13 pm

precita wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:
Not sure I see much difference. Pokemon maybe mainly a gaming franchise, but it still has a manga and an anime. Which is well known. Though I can't even say for sure it's pokemon, Its just the first thing that comes to mind.
The Pokémon franchise is well-known primarily because of the game, not anime and especially not manga. Just like Microsoft is more well-known because of it's computer software, consumer electronics, and laptops and not the Xbox. Plus if we're are talking about current popularity, the Pokémon anime hasn't been popular since Diamond and Pearl or Sinnoh Region.
The XY anime was also very popular. The reason the ratings are lower now is because the show has been airing for 20 years, the original fanbase became adults and outgrew the series and new younger kids don't watch as much anime on TV as they used to. Pokemon still regularly charts the Top 10 ratings in Japan (you can see in the ratings thread in the Dragonball Super forum), so millions of people are still watching it in just Japan alone week after week, not even counting the rest of the world.
And that's not even taking into consideration the anime movies. Which remain far more profitable that anything the DB/Z movies have ever churned out. Plus, the Pokeman manga is much more popular than people would think.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:19 pm

precita wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:
I'm taking about worldwide, I remember reading the Pokémon franchise as a whole was in slump recently until Pokémon GO and the anime is used to promote games. So if games aren't selling, then can you sure to know the anime isn't being watched.
Lord Beerus wrote:
precita wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote: The Pokémon franchise is well-known primarily because of the game, not anime and especially not manga. Just like Microsoft is more well-known because of it's computer software, consumer electronics, and laptops and not the Xbox. Plus if we're are talking about current popularity, the Pokémon anime hasn't been popular since Diamond and Pearl or Sinnoh Region.
And that's not even taking into consideration the anime movies. Which remain far more profitable that anything the DB/Z movies have ever churned out. Plus, the Pokeman manga is much more popular than people would think.
The Pokémon anime movies don't make anything, but your average Japanese box office Blockbuster anime would. Really not even that, considering the popularity of Pokémon.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:31 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
precita wrote: The XY anime was also very popular. The reason the ratings are lower now is because the show has been airing for 20 years, the original fanbase became adults and outgrew the series and new younger kids don't watch as much anime on TV as they used to. Pokemon still regularly charts the Top 10 ratings in Japan (you can see in the ratings thread in the Dragonball Super forum), so millions of people are still watching it in just Japan alone week after week, not even counting the rest of the world.
The Pokémon anime movies don't make anything, but your average Japanese box office Blockbuster anime would. Really not even that, considering the popularity of Pokémon.
The initial Pokemon movies, especially the first two, made truckloads of money. The first Pokemon movie still remains the most profitable anime movie to ever be released in the west. On average, the Pokemon movies make money that the DB/Z movies ever did.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:40 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:Astro Boy and/or speed racer is. Everyone knows about them.
Not exactly... my parents know nothing about it and I doubt my younger cousins do.
It was an hyperbole. But DB is really only known by kids, people who grew up in in the 90s-mid 00s, and maybe the parents of those kids. Obviously there are exceptions, but those are the main 3 groups. But my grandparents know what astroboy is. And Speedracer known around the world to.
You're way off there. I saw various parents and adults coming from the Resurrection F theater with DBZ shirts on.

Not to mention all this press it got:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

http://remezcla.com/lists/culture/8-way ... on-ball-z/
http://kotaku.com/meet-the-anime-geeks- ... 1789604902
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/inverse/h ... 12154.html

I doubt many people under the age of 30 know what Astroboy or Speedracer are while I doubt any under the age of 40 doesn't know what Dragon Ball is unless they've been living under a rock for the past 20 yeas. Not to mention Speedracer is far less popular in Japan than in the west.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:42 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: And that's not even taking into consideration the anime movies. Which remain far more profitable that anything the DB/Z movies have ever churned out. Plus, the Pokeman manga is much more popular than people would think.
The initial Pokemon movies, especially the first two, made truckloads of money. The first Pokemon movie still remains the most profitable anime movie to ever be released in the west. On average, the Pokemon movies make money that the DB/Z movies ever did.
To be fair, they only made that much money during the whole Pokemon fad (1997-1999 or 2000). The movies became far, far less profitable afterwards.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:45 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: And that's not even taking into consideration the anime movies. Which remain far more profitable that anything the DB/Z movies have ever churned out. Plus, the Pokeman manga is much more popular than people would think.
The Pokémon movies coincided with the airing of the anime and the film distribution was handled by WB (Warner Bros). Dragon Ball didn't have theatrical release until years after its run was done on Cartoonnetwork. If Dragon Ball had the same opportunity, I'm sure it would have made as much money if not more, ( actually definitely more) since it got way better ratings than Pokémon on Cartoonnetwork.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:07 pm

It's probably a four way tie between DB, Pokemon, Sailor Moon, and Naruto.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:29 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Not exactly... my parents know nothing about it and I doubt my younger cousins do.
You're way off there. I saw various parents and adults coming from the Resurrection F theater with DBZ shirts on.

Not to mention all this press it got:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

http://remezcla.com/lists/culture/8-way ... on-ball-z/
http://kotaku.com/meet-the-anime-geeks- ... 1789604902
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/inverse/h ... 12154.html

I doubt many people under the age of 30 know what Astroboy or Speedracer are while I doubt any under the age of 40 doesn't know what Dragon Ball is unless they've been living under a rock for the past 20 yeas. Not to mention Speedracer is far less popular in Japan than in the west.
I mean, maybe it's because of the state's I've lived in (Minnesota and Ohio), but I don't know that many people who really like, or even know what DB is. I went to 3 elementary schools (1 in Ohio and 2 in Minnesota), and bearly anyone knew what Dragon Ball was, and so far I've met like 5 DB fans in Junior High and High School. And in Movie Theaters, there were like no one there for ROF, and BOG. But that might just be my state, and not really true for everyone else, so who knows ?
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:31 pm

Don't know if anybody has saw this yet but Arbys is doing some promotion with Dragon Ball Z because of the new game I suppose. Also surprisingly at E3 Dragon Ball got its special preview at E3 stage/showfloor and not at some booth.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Arbys

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:53 pm

According to google trends, Pokemon seens to be the winner.
https://trends.google.com/trends/explor ... 20ball%20z
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:30 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:According to google trends, Pokemon seens to be the winner.
https://trends.google.com/trends/explor ... 20ball%20z
Naruto and One Piece are also higher with the trends. Definitely don't think those are more well-known than Dragon Ball.

Also, you cheated.

Here's better trends:

https://trends.google.com/trends/explor ... m%2F030l0z

https://trends.google.com/trends/explor ... m%2F0d7rgs

https://trends.google.com/trends/explor ... m%2F01dln3

https://trends.google.com/trends/explor ... ne%20Piece

https://trends.google.com/trends/explor ... m%2F030l0z
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Puaru
Banned

Post by Puaru » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:59 am

There is one anime that is always forgotten in discussions about which ones are the most well known among the general public but which deserves to be mentioned: The Moomins.

Any americans Reading this might say "what? I dont recognize that thing". But the thing is that with the very notable exception of North America, The Moomins was shown and was extremely popular all over the World in the early 1990's. It was shown in at least 120 countries, being especially popular in Scandinavia, Japan, Eastern Europe, Russia and Israel, and was accompanied by merchandise of every type imaginable. This is known as the "Moomin Boom". Even today, Japan and Finland has several stores devoted exclusively to Moomin merchandise, and in Finland there is even a Moomin theme park which is one of the countries most popular attractions among Tourists from other countries.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:31 am

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:
But that doesn't mean Microsoft is not known for Xbox. Everyone knows they made it, just like everyone knows Sony's responsible for Playstation.

In any case, while Pokemon games are the primary force, the anime played huge part in popularizing the franchise and in the end, the Pokemons still represent Japanese anime industry design escethic (compared to say, Resident Evil, Mario or other Japanese gaming franchises that couldn't tell they came from Japan)
Puaru wrote:There is one anime that is always forgotten in discussions about which ones are the most well known among the general public but which deserves to be mentioned: The Moomins.
Because The Moomins are barely associated with Japenese animation industry. Unfortunate, but that's the perception

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:26 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Nope. That honor would belong to Pokemon. Pikachu has Mickey Mouse popularity worldwide.
Yup. I agree. Maybe not so much the manga, but the anime for sure.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Puaru
Banned

Post by Puaru » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:06 am

Basaku wrote:Because The Moomins are barely associated with Japenese animation industry. Unfortunate, but that's the perception
I suppose so. It's one of those shows that everyone knows (again, except North American's) but nobody even thinks about the fact that it's actually anime. It's more thought of as a general "kids show" than as "anime".

But if we define "most famous anime" as simply an anime that is very well known, and disregard whether people actually realize that the show is in fact anime, then I think that from a truly worldwide perspective The Moomins comes right after Pokemon and DBZ. The only other ones I can think of that could compete in that leauge would be some of the Pokémon-esque toy commercial shows of recent years (Yu-Gi-Oh and Digimon comes to mind).

As for Astro Boy and Speed Racer, I honestly think that the fame of those shows are, outside of Japan, mostly limited to the US or possibly the rest of the english speaking world. I could be wrong, but that's my understanding.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:13 am

Basaku wrote: But that doesn't mean Microsoft is not known for Xbox. Everyone knows they made it, just like everyone knows Sony's responsible for Playstation.
I never said Microsoft isn't known for the Xbox, but their popularity was mostly earned through the computer software instead of the other way around. On the the other hand with Sony, it's gaming console PlayStation is pretty much synonymous with the word gaming, and it's only division they have that's not failing.
In any case, while Pokemon games are the primary force, the anime played huge part in popularizing the franchise and in the end, the Pokemons still represent Japanese anime industry design escethic (compared to say, Resident Evil, Mario or other Japanese gaming franchises that couldn't tell they came from Japan)
I agree to some extent, still it's debatable that the gaming gaming portion of the franchise is still largely propels/responsible for it's popularity. However, the Pokémon aesthetic's seem don't seem like your conventional cartoon nowadays, but it's no wildly different where you can tell it's from Japan like Final Fanstay. Nevertheless, I agree with some of your points about Pokémon.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:12 am

Soppa Saia People wrote: I mean, maybe it's because of the state's I've lived in (Minnesota and Ohio), but I don't know that many people who really like, or even know what DB is. I went to 3 elementary schools (1 in Ohio and 2 in Minnesota), and bearly anyone knew what Dragon Ball was, and so far I've met like 5 DB fans in Junior High and High School. And in Movie Theaters, there were like no one there for ROF, and BOG. But that might just be my state, and not really true for everyone else, so who knows ?
Sounds like the neighborhoods you lived at really suck.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:58 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote: I mean, maybe it's because of the state's I've lived in (Minnesota and Ohio), but I don't know that many people who really like, or even know what DB is. I went to 3 elementary schools (1 in Ohio and 2 in Minnesota), and bearly anyone knew what Dragon Ball was, and so far I've met like 5 DB fans in Junior High and High School. And in Movie Theaters, there were like no one there for ROF, and BOG. But that might just be my state, and not really true for everyone else, so who knows ?
Sounds like the neighborhoods you lived at really suck.
I didn't actual have neighbors until last year. In Ohio I lived on this random dirt road with one other person. In Minnesota I lived on another dirt road for a while, which had one other person, who was in her 80s. Thanthat house burnt down, and than I lived in a mansion for a year, with no one around. Than me, my mom, 3 of my sisters, and my brother moved to this neighborhood last year.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸