When will FUNimation re-release dbz again?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

samuraix123
I Live Here

Re: When will FUNimation re-release dbz again?

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:03 pm

I was just speaking about this the other day with a friend and I was actually thinking about making a topic about this but now I don't have too! :P I always say it's always a WHEN not an IF when it comes to dbz getting rereleased. :lol: I want to say too that I wont be buying it as I have purchased everything under the sun so I'm just going to keep my mouth shut. :oops: I'm not going to completely bash Funi though like I know a lot of people like to do for releasing so many different versions.
I like the new blurays but my favorite quality release is still the dragonboxes and I don't think that would ever change. I'm curious if the next NEW thing will be 4x3 and they will make it 4k somehow? (The image that VegettoEX made a long time ago with Gohan comes to my mind right now hahahaha someone please find that picture :lol: I think it was in the bluray seasons topic lol)
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:53 pm

This is Funimation we're talking about; they'll do it as soon as they possibly can.
Right now, no one wants to buy it because everyone either: Already owns DBZ(Probably in multiple forms), prefers Kai, or is holding out hope for Toei to do something in HD now that the broadcast audio for Z is out there.

But, as soon as there's a reason for them to do a release(Off the top of my head: Toei does a new remaster based on the original negatives, 4K or 8K become standard, enough buzz is generated for a reprint of the Dragon Boxes, or hell, maybe the sky falls, pigs fly, and Funimation somehow negotiate to do a DVD release of the Canadian dubs), they'll do one. That's how business works.

Here's the thing, I wouldn't discount the possibility of Funimation doing a new release based on a new thing from Toei; in Japan, there's only one release of anything Dragon Ball from before Kai,* which is the Dragon Box DVDs. It's one consistent DVD release of all three original series, all seventeen original movies, and all three TV specials. In Japan, if you want Dragon Ball, you buy the Dragon Boxes. That's it.
However, this means the shows are only available in standard def, GT uses audio from the crappy optical tracks on the film, rather than the still existent D2 master tapes, and in the GT TV special, despite the audio being the clean, crystal-clear master audio, this is because they also took the video from the D2 master tapes, which are blurry, incorrectly telecine'd(24p > 30i frames per second conversion. In theory, this is a very simple process, but Toei screwed it up, and it doesn't convert back to 24p properly), and faded. Even at standard def, it looks terrible.

*Of course, I'm referring to the anime here. Although, the manga was in a similar situation: If you just wanted to read the manga, you'd buy the tankobon volumes. If you didn't mind spending a little extra, and you wanted it to have colour, and its revised ending, you bought the Kanzenban volumes. Recently, they did the full colour volumes, and those sold pretty well. So I suppose the manga has already had its equivalent of this hypothetical HD release.

In theory, a new HD release would be a perfect chance to fix this stuff, along with many of the other issues in the Dragon Boxes(Such as the slightly off framing and weird colour issues in the DB boxes, random episodes having miscellaneous unexplained issues plaguing them, etc.), while also meaning they'd have a scan of the film elements preserved(Those films aren't getting any younger), and Japan would get a HD release of the franchise. Plus, since the shows are old anyway, keeping them in 4:3 is a no-brainer(Boo Kai was only widescreen because, as a new TV show, it was expected to air in widescreen, and it meant they didn't have to clean the tape marks, which -- as with most changes in the Boo arc of Kai's remastering -- made it cheaper; DB, Z, and GT currently air on TV in 4:3 anyway, and actually have a market in Japan, so 4:3 is the way to go for them), plus Toei could contact Kei about using his DB and Z broadcast audio, and in theory, Funimation might then import the masters from this theoretical HD release for a future release.

Of course, this is just an idle fantasy at the moment, but you have to admit -- it's an exciting possibility.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:12 pm

Dude I live for "exciting posibilities" so I agree!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:15 pm

I don't think that there is a reason to release Dragon Ball Z again. The market is saturated. Fans are happy with current releases. Even if they would decide to release the series in the future, we shouldn't expect anything different than what we have on Blu-ray now.

Nobody wants anything different. If some people think they want it, I can only respond as Blizzard once responded to World of Warcraft fans: https://youtu.be/XuOYmqSF6OQ?t=12

<Edit>

I agree with Robo, but the problem is what I described above. We would need to organize the entire fanbase and start some serious activity.

But the facts are the facts: The improvement can be extremely big. Much bigger, than many shows get, when they are updated to modern formats. Sharpness, detail, colors, framing, black/white balance, contrast, brightness, resolution and aspect ratio for video, clariness, FQ char./response and all kinds of distortions for audio. The only thing we need is the market. But it will not appear on its own.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:50 pm

It's one thing to re-re-re-release Dragon Ball Z when that's all you got, but Funimation has a ton of new Dragon Ball stuff to focus on. So I think they'll be pretty busy and I don't see DBZ on their radar.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:05 pm

Considering that Super is new hot thing, they won't be interested in re-releasing the original series until they're done with Super. I'd think with Dragon Ball (Z) Kai/Final Chapters being a thing, there would be no incentive to re-release anything DBZ related again. But you never know. They could do a 20 year anniversary deal next year given that next year will mark 20 years since DBZ debuted on Cartoon Network or something like that.

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:26 pm

Apparently a 4:3 release of the entire series with the original title cards, credits and previews is too much to ask for.

Still refuse to buy any DB product from FUNI. I just can't support if I don't have a reason to buy.

It's a catch 22. Buy product you don't like and they'll release more product you don't like. Don't buy product you don't like, they can't release product you would like. :crazy:
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:52 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:They could do a 20 year anniversary deal next year given that next year will mark 20 years since DBZ debuted on Cartoon Network or something like that.
Sounds like an excuse to do another thing in the vein of the Rock the Dragon set. But on Blu-Ray! :o

I'd love a Blu-Ray release of Dragon Ball, but considering how underserved and underappreciated that part of the anime is, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:15 pm

Necessity or lack thereof aside, I too fully expect to release DBZ again on UHD Blu-Ray when the format becomes more standard and TOEI starts to pull the brakes on the new material. Why? Because Dragon Ball is what made the company what it is. It is their trump card. It is the property they've always been able to rely on for sales, and continues to be so. There will also be plenty of benefits like having twice as many episodes per disc, new extras, being a space saver (if whole seasons are put in single volume sized cases), more atttactive cover art, the list goes on. Much like Disney with Star Wars, if Funimation has an opportunity to milk Dragon Ball again, they will, period.
Lord Beerus wrote:Considering that Super is new hot thing, they won't be interested in re-releasing the original series until they're done with Super. I'd think with Dragon Ball (Z) Kai/Final Chapters being a thing, there would be no incentive to re-release anything DBZ related again. But you never know. They could do a 20 year anniversary deal next year given that next year will mark 20 years since DBZ debuted on Cartoon Network or something like that.
I would love that, especially if it was a rerelease of the Saban dub and maybe Pioneer movie trilogy on Blu-Ray but with new content coming out of the woodworks it's unlikely to happen.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:06 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:There will also be plenty of benefits like having twice as many episodes per disc
I don't agree that it would work like that. The general consumer perception is that a better disc should have a higher-resolution picture. While an UHD disc would probably be able to contain an entire Dragon Box's worth of content at this point, it won't be utilized for that because the jump to a new format is marketed as a picture quality improvement, not a space-saving measure.

It's a little bit like how people just assume that the PS4 will have shorter loading times than PS3; that's not how graphics work, and game devs would much rather keep the same load times if that means they can have prettier graphics.

I wouldn't want Dragon Ball in Ultra-HD unless they did another rescan or something and it looked like those incredibly detailed Ginyu Force episodes in Kai. Even in HD the rest of the Kai episodes look like DVD upscales and not that impressive; only the intro, eyecatches, credits and redrawn scenes actually look HD to me.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:54 pm

MarCas92 wrote:All I want is them to do is release the entire 508 episodes in 4:3 with the NEPS with the Japanese and Mexico audio. I don't think thats too much to ask! D:
You know a lot of cartoons on dvd don't use Spanish language tracks right? Heck a few Simpsons dvds don't have that.

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:57 pm

Super Sonic wrote: You know a lot of cartoons on dvd don't use Spanish language tracks right? Heck a few Simpsons dvds don't have that.
And a lot do. Even DBZ had them. The ultimate uncut releases and even some of the movies have the Spanish track. I don't know why they stopped. It was an awesome addition.
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:58 pm

I can't believe the last Dragonball related DVD I bought was the Rock The Dragon set when it came out.... There is absolutely NOTHING being released for us collectors....
El Conejo Malo

OutRun2
Not-So-Newbie

Post by OutRun2 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:00 am

No news yet on a re-release?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:10 am

OutRun2 wrote:No news yet on a re-release?
No news, but given Toei have done those new really nice HD movie masters, I imagine a new HD master of the series isn't out of the question, and presumably Funi would want to import that.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:16 am

Robo4900 wrote:
No news, but given Toei have done those new really nice HD movie masters, I imagine a new HD master of the series isn't out of the question, and presumably Funi would want to import that.
I'm surprised Toei released those movies without any marketing or official announcement. I hope it's not a sign of things staying exclusive to Japan.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:20 am

sintzu wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
I'm surprised Toei released those movies without any marketing or official announcement. I hope it's not a sign of things staying exclusive to Japan.
It's probably because it's only on streaming services for now. When they do a massive Blu-Ray box set of the first 19 movies, it'll be marketed to hell and back. As for the worry of Japanese exclusivity; Toei may be Japanese-focused to the point of singleminded foolishness, but they're not totally stupid from a business standpoint; if companies will pay money to license these movie masters, they'll let them import it, they'll just want to have that happen after the initial Japanese release to prevent reverse-importing from being a worry.

Brodes
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brodes » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:20 am

Well it's the 35th Anniversary for Dragon Ball in Japan next year, right? I'm thinking during the 40th Anniversary. Sadly I'm not expecting any kind of redub (though a total redub from the ground up with a number of recastings would be amazing and actually get me to purchase that release), just what we've already got on whatever home media we have then.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:12 am

Brodes wrote:Well it's the 35th Anniversary for Dragon Ball in Japan next year, right? I'm thinking during the 40th Anniversary. Sadly I'm not expecting any kind of redub (though a total redub from the ground up with a number of recastings would be amazing and actually get me to purchase that release), just what we've already got on whatever home media we have then.
To be fair has Funimation ever acknowledged a Dragon Ball anniversary in that way?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:09 am

KBABZ wrote:
Brodes wrote:Well it's the 35th Anniversary for Dragon Ball in Japan next year, right?
To be fair has Funimation ever acknowledged a Dragon Ball anniversary in that way?
We may not get anything from Funimation but Toei could give us something like a new remaster similar to what they just did for the movies. That's of course not taking Super's more than likely continuation also taking part next year.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.