When will FUNimation re-release dbz again?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Brodes
Beyond Newbie

Re: When will FUNimation re-release dbz again?

Post by Brodes » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:16 am

KBABZ wrote:
Brodes wrote:Well it's the 35th Anniversary for Dragon Ball in Japan next year, right? I'm thinking during the 40th Anniversary. Sadly I'm not expecting any kind of redub (though a total redub from the ground up with a number of recastings would be amazing and actually get me to purchase that release), just what we've already got on whatever home media we have then.
To be fair has Funimation ever acknowledged a Dragon Ball anniversary in that way?
Not normally, no, I just have a feeling they might do something this time to recognise Dragon Ball's age or possibly even there having the license for 30 years a couple of years later.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:34 am

They will be given the new remastered films and series, but since they already released the Z series and films on Blu-Ray they will instead remaster and upscale the new remasters to 4k and release them instead. They will also get rid of that funny grain the new remasters seem to have.

Here is a preview of the potentially upcoming Dragonball Z: Definitive Edition 4k Uncut Remaster box sets:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:39 am

There is no new remaster for the series.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:43 am

mute_proxy wrote:There is no new remaster for the series.
Not officially, but there are rumblings that one is on its way potentially.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:53 am

Sin wrote: Not officially, but there are rumblings that one is on its way potentially.
Those rumblings are the wishful thought of fans, that's about it. I think there's a very long way before something like that happens :think: if not for Broly's movie, we probably wouldn't have gotten these at the moment either

Keroro1125

Post by Keroro1125 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:02 am

I'm willing to bet that if/when Toei remasters them, it'll probably be some time after the remasters of the movies come out on blu ray. Then they could either pull a Dragon Box and do Z first, Dragon Ball second, and GT last OR they could do it in chronological order. Then it comes to whether Funimation wants to or not. Now like others have said, there are rumors that Toei is going to remaster the TV series, but whether or not that's true we have yet to see. Now I just hope Toei doesn't crop the aspect ratio if they do actually go for it.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:41 am

Keroro1125 wrote:I just hope Toei doesn't crop the aspect ratio if they do actually go for it.
Cropping might actually be a dealbreaker for me for these.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:45 pm

They don't have another reason to release it again right now, but DBZ's 30th anniversary is next year so maybe they'll do it around then.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:29 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:There is no reason to re-release Z anymore. None at all. The season sets sell well, FUNi don't have to bother to appease the 4x3 it isn't worth it, the 4x3 crowd aren't gonna spend new anime prices on an old has hell series like Z, would people really spend $35 on 17 eps a set? Doubt it, that'll be like $600 to collect the entire series in 4x3!
Just because it sells well it doesn't mean they'll stop right there and then. Just look at Disney, they keep putting out crappy Star Wars movies and people still go watch them so there's obviously a market for it.

FUNimation is known for making 'remasters' of the Dragon Ball series so they're probably going to release one in the near future. Likely, the "Definitive Edtion" (like it was the last time, and before, and way before that too).
KBABZ wrote:
Keroro1125 wrote:I just hope Toei doesn't crop the aspect ratio if they do actually go for it.
Cropping might actually be a dealbreaker for me for these.
TOEI didn't have Saint Seiya cropped on Blu-ray, nor did they crop the episodes of Dragon Ball on YouTube so it's unlikely they'll FUNimation it. TOEI cares about using the correct AR, well, not always (Kai TFC).
funrush wrote:They don't have another reason to release it again right now, but DBZ's 30th anniversary is next year so maybe they'll do it around then.
There is a reason. Pretty much what I said above to Bag's and let's not forget that people want movies and shows in 4K so that's a market that FUNimation can tap easily.

"DRAGON BALL Z: THE SERIES & THE MOVIES NOW ON ULTRA 4K BLU-RAY! THIS IS THE SUPER ULTIMATE DEFINITIVE EDITION GET IT BEFORE IT'S SOLD OUT!!"

nosferatu
Banned

Post by nosferatu » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:06 pm

4K would do nothing over 1080p in this case or in animes at all and for sure not for an old one like this. would look like Z on bluray now.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:03 pm

I just hope they will give DB some love too, original Dragon Ball is only series that didnt get released with next episode previews :(
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:12 pm

If Funimation does decide to re-release DBZ again I hope that it will be a proper remaster just like the level sets were. Better yet I hope Toei remasters DBZ in HD so that Funimation license it and release it in North America.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:04 pm

coola wrote:I just hope they will give DB some love too, original Dragon Ball is only series that didnt get released with next episode previews :(
Well, DBZ only got them via the Dragon Box and GT via the Single Sets. The rest of the releases ditched the NEPs altogether.

I actually don't mind not including the NEPs since I skip them nowadays but it should be there optionally.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:47 pm

coola wrote:I just hope they will give DB some love too, original Dragon Ball is only series that didnt get released with next episode previews :(
The original DB is in desperate need of attention which can be greatly helped by a Blue-Ray release as people will be more willing to buy it due to it being in HD.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:41 pm

sintzu wrote:The original DB is in desperate need of attention which can be greatly helped by a Blue-Ray release as people will be more willing to buy it due to it being in HD.
Desperate? We're not talking about a life or death situation but an animated series so it's definitely not desperate. Would it be great to have it remastered in high definition and on Blu-ray? Oh, most certainly!

Note: "Blue-Ray" doesn't exist.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:06 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:Desperate? We're not talking about a life or death situation but an animated series so it's definitely not desperate. Note: "Blue-Ray" doesn't exist.
You've never heard of figures of speech and typing errors have you ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.