When will FUNimation re-release dbz again?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

When will FUNimation re-release dbz again?

Post by Bajosexto » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:54 am

We know that eventually FUNi will re-release dbz on home video again(or at least I hope they do). How long do you guys think it will take for a new Blu-ray, hopefully on its proper 4:3 aspect ratio, to be released by FUNi? 5 years, 10 years? Once Super is finished? Or are we stuck with these season sets forever?

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: When will FUNimation re-release dbz again?

Post by Cipher » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:37 am

Probably unreasonable to expect such a release at any point before Super is done.

I do hope it happens, though.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:34 pm

I would say that if Toei ever releases DBZ on Bu-ray, probably in 4:3, (Even though they consider Kai the HD DBZ) FUNimation could quietly just get that video, and reissue the current Blu-ray sets with the new footage. (And it's an excuse for FUNimation and Toei to release DB and GT on Blu-ray. For the movies, i would want the discs to have the 4:3 and 16:9 versions of them. (And use the Good GT audio)

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:55 pm

If a new video format comes around to replace Blu-ray at some point, Funimation will release it on that format. That's pretty much a given. Outside of that and keeping the Season sets in print to placate the fans of the old dub/Faulconer music, I think Funimation is pretty much done with Z. Kai has replaced Z for most intents and purposes.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:04 pm

That is the question, isn't it? Taking Super out of the equation, since we have no idea how that affects the perception of the DB heads, we will get another release eventually. Whether it be when the 4K market ripens enough to exploit, or when physical media dies and Dragon Ball needs a proper digital release, since there will always be a market for ownership>streaming services. I think it's impossible to tell when it'll happen in the current market, but at least one more release has to happen, I think. Hopefully, Funimation will have sense about it and not make it an Orange Bricks 3.0.
Theophrastus wrote:Kai has replaced Z for most intents and purposes.
From Toei's perspective, you're probably right. Kai is the "new and improved" DBZ. In the English market, that's not the case. As far as the mainstream over here goes, you don't have to look far to see that Kai didn't stick with most people, and Funimation knows this, which is why they released the Z Blu-rays in 2013, even after the better part of Kai had been available (more or less) for years.
Retired.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:21 pm

If that does happen, It would be great if Funimation redubs the series the same way they dubbed Kai, with an accurate script, great voice acting, no replacement score, and they keep the songs in Japanese. But that'll probably never happen tho.
Caulifla best girl! :)

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:22 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:That is the question, isn't it? Taking Super out of the equation, since we have no idea how that affects the perception of the DB heads, we will get another release eventually. Whether it be when the 4K market ripens enough to exploit, or when physical media dies and Dragon Ball needs a proper digital release, since there will always be a market for ownership>streaming services. I think it's impossible to tell when it'll happen in the current market, but at least one more release has to happen, I think. Hopefully, Funimation will have sense about it and not make it an Orange Bricks 3.0.
Theophrastus wrote:Kai has replaced Z for most intents and purposes.
From Toei's perspective, you're probably right. Kai is the "new and improved" DBZ. In the English market, that's not the case. As far as the mainstream over here goes, you don't have to look far to see that Kai didn't stick with most people, and Funimation knows this, which is why they released the Z Blu-rays in 2013, even after the better part of Kai had been available (more or less) for years.
How is it not the case in America? FUNimation has gone on record numerous times over the years reminding the fans that Kai is plainly better than their Z dub. For objective reasons too. Kai not doing the best in the states means those fans are blinded by nostalgia. Not relying on pure facts. They grew up during a time when anime was wildly disrespected in the U.S.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:48 pm

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:How is it not the case in America? FUNimation has gone on record numerous times over the years reminding the fans that Kai is plainly better than their Z dub. For objective reasons too. Kai not doing the best in the states means those fans are blinded by nostalgia. Not relying on pure facts. They grew up during a time when anime was wildly disrespected in the U.S.
Whether Kai's localization was better or not is irrelevant, you're confusing creative success with popularity. Kai didn't stick with the mainstream American audience, and Funimation, unlike Toei, is smart enough to know that you can't force this haphazardly pasted-together HD approximation over the original. If Kai had been enough to fit the HD Dragon Ball market, the Z Season Blu-rays wouldn't exist.

In another decade, who knows? Maybe the Kai generation will overtake the vastly larger Z market, and there won't be a need for a new Z release. That's just not where we are right now. The mainstream either doesn't like or doesn't care about Kai, a huge portion of the more dedicated fanbase doesn't like Kai. It's not viable for the future.
Retired.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:57 pm

Kai has been on TV pretty continuously for many years now (with a little gap between the end the Nicktoons/Toonzai era and the Toonami era), whereas Z has not been around for a long time. The old dub may have a lot of nostalgia for many people, but the longer FUNimation runs Kai like this, the more new fans are Kai fans vs Z fans, and even can convert Z fans over. Super's not going back to Z style dubbing, it's sticking with what all their modern Kai-onward DB dubbing has been. It's only a matter of time before the old guard of nostalgia is overtaken.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:59 pm

I would point out that at the time the DBZ Blu-ray Seasons were released Kai was not a "complete" product (in the sense that it did not include the Buu arc, which meant that if someone wanted to watch that arc animated they had to switch over to Z). With The Final Chapters finally being released that is no longer an issue. People can now get the complete DBZ story in Kai form.

I think the fact that new fans are only being exposed to the modern dub cast (via recent video games, BoG/RF, Super, and the Toonami broadcast of Kai/TFC) shouldn't be underestimated. There's an entire generation of people who have no nostalgia to speak of for the original DBZ dub, and if those people decide to take the plunge and buy the series on DVD/BD, odds are they're going to go with Kai because that's what they're actually familiar with.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:10 pm

Theophrastus wrote:I would point out that at the time the DBZ Blu-ray Seasons were released Kai was not a "complete" product (in the sense that it did not include the Buu arc, which meant that if someone wanted to watch that arc animated they had to switch over to Z). With The Final Chapters finally being released that is no longer an issue. People can now get the complete DBZ story in Kai form.

I think the fact that new fans are only being exposed to the modern dub cast (via recent video games, BoG/RF, Super, and the Toonami broadcast of Kai/TFC) also shouldn't be underestimated. There's an entire generation of people who have no nostalgia to speak of for the original DBZ dub, and if those people decide to take the plunge and buy the series on DVD/BD, odds are they're going to go with Kai because that's what they're actually familiar with.
It's a possibility, and I don't doubt there are many children and very young adults that got in with Kai, and might even primarily be fans of that adaptation. However, the long-standing fan base, as well as most that are exposed to the series online, are still largely watching Z first, for the name recognition if nothing else. Don't underestimate how big of a factor name recognition is, either. People seem to overestimate the influence of TV networks nowadays, and not unjustifiably so, since they used to have a lot more power. In reality, most younger people are getting their entertainment online nowadays. Remember, BoG and RoF, the movies that revived the franchise, used the "Z". People who are introduced that way aren't going to be looking for a Kai subtitle either.
Retired.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:05 pm

There is no reason to re-release Z anymore. None at all. The season sets sell well, FUNi don't have to bother to appease the 4x3 it isn't worth it, the 4x3 crowd aren't gonna spend new anime prices on an old has hell series like Z, would people really spend $35 on 17 eps a set? Doubt it, that'll be like $600 to collect the entire series in 4x3!

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:07 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:If that does happen, It would be great if Funimation redubs the series the same way they dubbed Kai, with an accurate script, great voice acting, no replacement score, and they keep the songs in Japanese. But that'll probably never happen tho.
If they ever do that, I'm almost positive they'd reuse the Kai dialog

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:59 pm

They already have it available on DVD/Blu-ray and Kai will be done by the end of June so I doubt they will and if by any small chance they do it'll be in a very long time. They also have regular NEW content being released which is more of a reason not to re-release the old products.

The only thing I can see them doing and even this isn't very likely is collecting the current 9 sets into 3 box collections.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:22 pm

If anything, I'd expect a new release of the DBZ movies and specials before the series again. Hopefully in Dragon Box (or approximate) footage, with some much-needed re-dubbing to really make it worthwhile.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:58 pm

Kaboom wrote:If anything, I'd expect a new release of the DBZ movies and specials before the series again. Hopefully in Dragon Box (or approximate) footage, with some much-needed re-dubbing to really make it worthwhile.
I'd love for the movies and specials to get a Kai dub quality but did the double features and movie collections sell enough to warrant a redub ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:32 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:If that does happen, It would be great if Funimation redubs the series the same way they dubbed Kai, with an accurate script, great voice acting, no replacement score, and they keep the songs in Japanese. But that'll probably never happen tho.
I agree there's no reason to rerelease Z again with Super and the rest of Kai coming on the market but if Funimation did that unless by some miracle they decided to release the Westwood dub, I'd like a redub if it was to feature the inhouse cast (which is 99% certain what would happen). If a redub happened I'd be fine with them using the existing Kai voice track and redubbing to fill in the blanks, as well as Doc Morgan narrating everything, add that to the fact Schemmel, Sabat, etc like the Japanese cast in Kai may not be as enthusiastic for redubbing the same lines again if they gave it their all the first time around.
Last edited by Dragon Ball Ireland on Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:10 am

All I want is them to do is release the entire 508 episodes in 4:3 with the NEPS with the Japanese and Mexico audio. I don't think thats too much to ask! D:
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:21 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
I agree there's no reason to rerelease Z again with Super and the rest of Kai coming on the market but if Funimation did that unless by some miracle they decided to release the Westwood dub, I'd like a redub if it was to feature the inhouse cast (which is 99% certain what would happen). If a redub happened I'd be fine with them using the existing Kai voice track and redubbing to fill in the blanks, as well as Doc Morgan narrating everything, add that to the fact Schemmel, Sabat, etc like the Japanese cast in Kai may not be as enthusiastic for redubbing the same lines again if they gave it their all the first time around.
Well Funi has been doing the same lines for years in the video games and they blew it out of the park with Kai, but I know what you mean.
They'd basically only have to redub the filler, and I'd like to guess they'd probably reuse some of that audio from Z as well (and only updating for recasts / redub if the line was inaccurate originally)

But if Funi is going to redub anything, I'd rather see the movies.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:08 pm

I don't think that they would ever do a redub because quite frankly, there's no reason to. Yes, it would be a selling point for a new release, but would it be that effective? They'd have to get the cast there, pay them all that money to redo all of the lines, they'd have to pay for any additional licensing agreements for different footage (we don't want it to look the same after all, do we?), they'd have to pay for a "restoration" process if they were gonna go the route of Blu-ray, etc. etc. and what for?

Would it sell if they basically released the Dragon Ball Dragon Box? Maybe. Would a redub tip the sales? I highly doubt it.

The thing is that the people who are fans of the dub would feel resentment for a new dub and the fans that hate the dub would just watch it in Japanese anyway and maybe check out the dub out of curiosity, but I don't think that it would be enough to justify doing it.