Goku's character

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

hectorgf

Re: Goku's character

Post by hectorgf » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:20 pm

We're not talking about self confidence. I don't know how you got there.
Just because he THINKS he can solve the problem on his own doesn't mean he can, and we have seen a few times where it turns out he can't.
The problem here is self-confidence, not selfishness.
We are still very much discussion selfishness. If anything his over self-confidence is what fuels his bad decisions. It doesn't matter if AFTER everything goes to shit he decides to solve the problem. It matters if his decision is what caused the problem in the first place. If Goku Makes a decision that puts his friends and the earth in danger, so he could fulfill his own desires, then that's it. It was a selfish decision. No amount of him making up for his blunder negates the fact that he put them in that situation in the first place. It doesn't just balance out. A good action doesn't erase a bad one.
Then we're gonna get into a looping again: it wasn't TOTALLY a selfish decision because when he makes a decision (in the beginning) he is also looking for solving the problem. A totally selfish decision would be if he just looked for a good battle, and if everything went wrong, he just looked for a way to survive. And, yeah, you're right, a good action doesn't erase a bad one, but it shows the character of a person, if he is able to fix the problem caused, that knows that he made a mistake, and now look for solving the problem, and not just for getting some fun, he is taking the responsibility. Even if we're talking about a first decision totally selfish (like Vegeta letting be dominated by Babidi), but then he notices that he was wrong and he looks for fixing the things he had done (killing Boo), shows that this person is not that much more selfish than a responsible person.

In the end, we have 3 cases of selfishness, if you want to count the SSJ 3 Ex Machina, 4, while I've said more than 10 good actions until the Freeza Saga, and even quoted a dialogue said by Goku himself, telling what is the priority in a determined moment.[/quote]
Goku isn't a math problem. His decisions don't all hold the same value of 1 and it's not like "10 Good decisions - 4 bad decisions = 6 good decisions :angel: ".Him saving Uppas dads life doesn't give him a free card to spare Vegeta and endanger millions, because it's not the same thing. Him asking for help in solving the problem of Kidd buu doesn't erase the fact that he had 3 other moments to stop it in the first place but he just chose not to. 4 if you want to count when he was Vegetto. If he caused the problem or had the opportunity to stop the problem but chose not to, then him deciding not to be selfish dick and make it worse just means he is taking responsibility for his own mess.

At first, we're talking about GOKU'S CHARACTER. A character is substantiated in representation, which includes actions. If the large majority are altruists and compassionate actions (a traditional superhero characteristic) then that's what defines him for the most, but ok.
Red Ribbon, Piccolo, Saiyans, Freeza, anyone of these was *his* fault, even the androids wasn't, the same thing in Boo saga (again, I'm pretending that SSJ 3 just doesn't exist because it was a Deus Ex (Yeah, I've read the definition you wrote, but I don't know a better word to describe it, and you probably understood what I want to say), Vegeta had to kill innocent people to anger Goku, and then, Goku, the ''fair guy'', just went into SSJ 2 in the beginning of the fight, he doesn't want a fair fight, because, like himself said >he didn't want to contribute to Boo's awakening<. It's not a situation that he caused by his own, if he didn't act, everyone would be dead, so if he is the unique person capable of solving it, then whatever way he chooses, he will be looking for solving the problem in the end.

Honestly I've kind of lost track of what you're trying to get across here. That Goku is more hero than selfish moron? If so Cool, I agree. But it doesn't mean all his decisions are for the greater good. Which is all I'm am trying to say, and I'm pretty sure you've acknowledged a few times.
I agree with you. In both cases. But I don't think Goku's initial decisions are totally selfish, and looking at how he deals with the situations, overall I wouldn't say that his priority is his selfish desire, and the safe of the others, and that's what I think we're discussing.
Sorry for the bad English, it's not my native language ^^'

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:44 pm

hectorgf wrote: At first, we're talking about GOKU'S CHARACTER. A character is substantiated in representation, which includes actions. If the large majority are altruists and compassionate actions (a traditional superhero characteristic) then that's what defines him for the most, but ok.
Yes a character that can both be a Hero and be really selfish to a fault. That what his actions tell us. Which is fine. I don't want Goku to be less Selfish. Take that trait away and it's not Goku.
hectorgf wrote:Red Ribbon, Piccolo, Saiyans, Freeza, anyone of these was *his* fault, even the androids wasn't, the same thing in Boo saga (again, I'm pretending that SSJ 3 just doesn't exist because it was a Deus Ex (Yeah, I've read the definition you wrote, but I don't know a better word to describe it, and you probably understood what I want to say), Vegeta had to kill innocent people to anger Goku, and then, Goku, the ''fair guy'', just went into SSJ 2 in the beginning of the fight, he doesn't want a fair fight, because, like himself said >he didn't want to contribute to Boo's awakening<. It's not a situation that he caused by his own, if he didn't act, everyone would be dead, so if he is the unique person capable of solving it, then whatever way he chooses, he will be looking for solving the problem in the end.
I am being a little harsh saying Goku caused these problems. Because, yeah, he didn't, the villains did. But In some cases Goku makes it worse because it's the more exciting path. The androids and Majin Buu aren't his fault, but they are situations he could have prevented, for the most part at least, but chose not to and regretted them later. If he didn't want to contribute to Buu's awakening then he should have beaten Vegeta which we find out he was able to. Vegeta even scolds him for holding back and humiliating him.
hectorgf wrote:I agree with you. In both cases. But I don't think Goku's initial decisions are totally selfish, and looking at how he deals with the situations, overall I wouldn't say that his priority is his selfish desire, and the safe of the others, and that's what I think we're discussing.
The initial decisions may not be totally selfish because he isn't making them without a care about the others. But he is still making a decision that puts loved ones in harms way when he doesn't have to. Which I would chalk up to selfishness whether he has a plan or not.

But I feel like we've gotten to the point where we're just disagreeing with each other and going in circles. Because I can't really think of what else to say aside from just repeating myself, which I think I've done quite a bit already. So I'll just have to agree to disagree.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

hectorgf

Post by hectorgf » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:56 pm

If he didn't want to contribute to Buu's awakening then he should have beaten Vegeta which we find out he was able to. Vegeta even scolds him for holding back and humiliating him.
That's why I told I was pretending that SSJ3 just doesn't exist, because it was almost like a Deus Ex: something asspulled to solve a situation which breaks the epic construction of Goku and Vegeta conflict and makes Goku sound contradictory
The initial decisions may not be totally selfish because he isn't making them without a care about the others. But he is still making a decision that puts loved ones in harms way when he doesn't have to. Which I would chalk up to selfishness whether he has a plan or not.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I do think he is selfish, it's something half-to-half as I said with that percentages (of course that it's not exactly these numbers, it's just a superficial approach
But I feel like we've gotten to the point where we're just disagreeing with each other and going in circles. Because I can't really think of what else to say aside from just repeating myself, which I think I've done quite a bit already. So I'll just have to agree to disagree.
Yeah, me too. And I need to sleep! (But I couldn't sleep without answering, as a result I'm bothering everyone in home...I think I'm being a little selfish hahaha)
Sorry for the bad English, it's not my native language ^^'