Does anyone have a problem with how Fat Boo sounds in FUNi Dub?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallKing
Regular

Re: Does anyone have a problem with how Fat Boo sounds in FUNi Dub?

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:46 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Well, I believe Schemmel has earned his praises in the Kai and the recent stuff. He's still no Nozawa though.
Yes in Recent Stuff he has been good but still the original voice should get credit and it sounds worse when people say "dbz is way better in dub because I hate goku Japanese voice" that is just ignorant and shows how not liking a certain voice means bad dub
I honestly don't understand why people don't mind Naruto and Luffy being voiced by women in Japanese, yet Goku must be an exception.
It's probably the contrast between seeing a man with huge muscles having a high pitch voice, people don't take issue with Luffy's because he's scrawny looking, so if goku was skinny from the beginning it would be less of an issue. There's also the fact that Luffy and Naruto are both voiced by women in Japanese and English so the transition between voices is easier and not as jarring. There's also the fact many people where introduced to dbz via the dub while many first saw naruto and one piece fansubbed first and then the dub much later.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:07 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Well, I believe Schemmel has earned his praises in the Kai and the recent stuff. He's still no Nozawa though.
He easily easily beats modern Nozawa in spades, but prime Nozawa? That is a different story and imo still too close to call.
Ripper 30 wrote: Agreed, FUNimation takes far too much liberties when dubbing Dragon Ball related Shows as if it's some American cartoon because they know their audience don't care for manga accuracy but more like listening the show in dub that's all that matters that's why I see many people saying "the Super Dub made BoG and RoF Arc more watchable"
"can't wait for Sean Schemmel to do that scene he will obviously do better than japanese voice"
Ermm conflicting statements here, you say that about Z which is true but then give examples from modern DB when the dubs are genuinely great. Super dubbed so far is better than the orignal, Schemmel is currently better than Nozawa, he has everything down pat, the screams, able to go from goofy to serious Goku on the fly, he has everything you'd want in a Goku, episode #18 is a perfect example of his strengths as Goku and cements him as the perfect English counterpart to Nozawa and in particular he was told to deliver a high pitched "whaaa" he went so high they had to cut the recording abruptly!

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:34 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
He easily easily beats modern Nozawa in spades, but prime Nozawa? That is a different story and imo still too close to call.
Ripper 30 wrote: Agreed, FUNimation takes far too much liberties when dubbing Dragon Ball related Shows as if it's some American cartoon because they know their audience don't care for manga accuracy but more like listening the show in dub that's all that matters that's why I see many people saying "the Super Dub made BoG and RoF Arc more watchable"
"can't wait for Sean Schemmel to do that scene he will obviously do better than japanese voice"
Ermm conflicting statements here, you say that about Z which is true but then give examples from modern DB when the dubs are genuinely great. Super dubbed so far is better than the orignal, Schemmel is currently better than Nozawa, he has everything down pat, the screams, able to go from goofy to serious Goku on the fly, he has everything you'd want in a Goku, episode #18 is a perfect example of his strengths as Goku and cements him as the perfect English counterpart to Nozawa and in particular he was told to deliver a high pitched "whaaa" he went so high they had to cut the recording abruptly!
As someone who used to be a Kai purist but now loves the JPN voices, It still annoys me how in the recent episodes of the super dub they retain things like special beam cannon, tri beam, destructo disk, It's like funi is to afraid to be more accurate thinking it will annoy old dub purists.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:59 pm

DragonBallKing wrote: As someone who used to be a Kai purist but now loves the JPN voices, It still annoys me how in the recent episodes of the super dub they retain things like special beam cannon, tri beam, destructo disk, It's like funi is to afraid to be more accurate thinking it will annoy old dub purists.
It has nothing to do with that, Sabat and Schemmel constantly trash the old dub and prop up Kai and this point they aren't concerned with old purists, Doc Morgan is prove of that, anyway when Kai started they used the JPN terms but dropped it half way, it's probably more to do familiarity and just overall easy-ness like it's easy saying "Special Beam Canon" rather than "Makankosappo".

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:19 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
I do admit he has came a long way from his performance in Z Dub but I don't think he's really the perfect English Goku.
He hasn't been flawless. The movie redubs of movies 1-3? Inferior to Peter Kelamis. The old dub vs Japanese? Nozawa stomps him. Even MasakoX does better with the character than Schemmel IMO.

Schemmel however I will agree is a good screamer but I don't see him as Goku at all..he gets the Serious parts really good but when he has to make goku sound Goofy and odd then he sounds like he sniffed to much Laughing Gas but Nozawa captures his Goofy Side Perfectly. Sean's comedic moments as Goku were never that funny.and no the Super dub hasn't been better there have been dub changes like goku given more heroic lines in first Episode and Vegata claiming to have beaten Boo in first Episode are example of it.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:55 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
I do admit he has came a long way from his performance in Z Dub but I don't think he's really the perfect English Goku.
He hasn't been flawless. The movie redubs of movies 1-3? Inferior to Peter Kelamis. The old dub vs Japanese? Nozawa stomps him. Even MasakoX does better with the character than Schemmel IMO.

Schemmel however I will agree is a good screamer but I don't see him as Goku at all..he gets the Serious parts really good but when he has to make goku sound Goofy and odd then he sounds like he sniffed to much Laughing Gas but Nozawa captures his Goofy Side Perfectly. Sean's comedic moments as Goku were never that funny.and no the Super dub hasn't been better there have been dub changes like goku given more heroic lines in first Episode and Vegata claiming to have beaten Boo in first Episode are example of it.
I like Kelamis, but I admit that Schemmel has surpassed him with Kai. He's easily the best English Goku now IMO. It'd be difficult for any other voice actor to surpass him, although I'd like to see what Richard Ian Cox did in Ocean Kai.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:04 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

Well it's pretty evident you haven't seen the dub then if those are the two examples you're clinging on too, one of which was a translation error that will be corrected

Like I said go watch #18, no English Goku comes close to that performance.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:10 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: He easily easily beats modern Nozawa in spades, but prime Nozawa? That is a different story and imo still too close to call.

I like Kelamis, but I admit that Schemmel has surpassed him with Kai. He's easily the best English Goku now IMO. It'd be difficult for any other voice actor to surpass him, although I'd like to see what Richard Ian Cox did in Ocean Kai.
Yes I wanted to see Ocean Kai too bad it got cancelled
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:12 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: He easily easily beats modern Nozawa in spades, but prime Nozawa? That is a different story and imo still too close to call.

Well it's pretty evident you haven't seen the dub then if those are the two examples you're clinging on too, one of which was a translation error that will be corrected

Like I said go watch #18, no English Goku comes close to that performance.
Yes now he is more closer to sounding natural than earlier but still don't see him better than Nozawa though I will admit Nozawa is not at her prime still giving damn good performance in Super for her age.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:13 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:

Yes I wanted to see Ocean Kai too bad it got cancelled
There's still a chance we could see it if we can convince a new Canadian TV network to air it.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:36 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Super dubbed so far is better than the orignal, Schemmel is currently better than Nozawa, he has everything down pat, the screams, able to go from goofy to serious Goku on the fly, he has everything you'd want in a Goku, episode #18 is a perfect example of his strengths as Goku and cements him as the perfect English counterpart to Nozawa and in particular he was told to deliver a high pitched "whaaa" he went so high they had to cut the recording abruptly!
No. Super still has far too many problems to be called "better than the original." Most stem from FUNimation's past history with the series. For example, you still have Schemmel performing his awful Kaio voice and Martin is still using that awful pitch for Mr. Boo. Besides the past casting decisions, the dub still can't help but embellish the script with unnecessary changes. I'm reminded of the scene of where Mr. Satan punches Goku and he flies away along with his tractor. The dub doesn't seem to think viewers got the joke, so we need to have Goku stating what he is doing on screen. Super's dub is far better than what FUNi was doing with DB early on in their history, but I would be remiss to say it's better than it's original audio. It's an adequate dub. DB should have always had that at the bare minimum.

Speaking of Schemmel, I regularly see anecdotes about him throwing out his voice, passing out, or screwing up the recording as testaments to his voice acting ability and I still don't understand to why. It seems to accomplish the exact opposite to me, that despite his years of experience that he still can't properly control his voice. I haven't once heard a story about Nozawa screwing up her voice and that to me is far more impressive. She is able to come in every day and perform as Goku without a problem.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:53 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Fine by me. I myself can't stand Sabat's Kuwabara. Never understood the praise for it and probably never will when Chiba is a million times better
I never understood why people overrate Yu Yu Hakusho Dub like Best thing ever, Kuwabara is really hard to take seriously in dub with the voice Sabat gave him.
Well, since people grew up with the Yu Yu Hakusho dub, of course they'll overrate it. The English cast with some exceptions are fine, but they pale when compared to Sasaki, Hiyama, Ogata, Nakahara, Kyoda, Hayashibara and Chiba.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:27 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Fine by me. I myself can't stand Sabat's Kuwabara. Never understood the praise for it and probably never will when Chiba is a million times better
I never understood why people overrate Yu Yu Hakusho Dub like Best thing ever, Kuwabara is really hard to take seriously in dub with the voice Sabat gave him.
Well, since people grew up with the Yu Yu Hakusho dub, of course they'll overrate it. The English cast with some exceptions are fine, but they pale when compared to Sasaki, Hiyama, Ogata, Nakahara, Kyoda, Hayashibara and Chiba.
And same can be said for DBZ as well I mean Dameon Clark did fine but he is no Norio Wakamoto, Chris Sabat is nowhere near Ryō Horikawa and same can be said for whole Cast

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:18 am

Speaking of Schemmel, I regularly see anecdotes about him throwing out his voice, passing out, or screwing up the recording as testaments to his voice acting ability and I still don't understand to why.
I constantly hear the anecdotes, but I think they are the same anecdotes. He only ever almost passed out once, back when he recorded Goku turning SS3 in DBZ. That's 15 years ago.

The US YYH actors aren't as good as their original counterparts, but I still prefer Bergmeier to Kurama's JPN actor.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:44 am

ABED wrote:He only ever almost passed out once, back when he recorded Goku turning SS3 in DBZ. That's 15 years ago.
Actually, that's not quite true. It is true that he only ever passed out once, but it wasn't during Z; it was when he was doing something as Super Saiyan 4 Goku in GT.

Here's Sean Schemmel telling the story.

Sorry to be pedantic; misinformation like that always really bugs me, y'know?
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:59 am

ABED wrote:
Speaking of Schemmel, I regularly see anecdotes about him throwing out his voice, passing out, or screwing up the recording as testaments to his voice acting ability and I still don't understand to why.
I constantly hear the anecdotes, but I think they are the same anecdotes. He only ever almost passed out once, back when he recorded Goku turning SS3 in DBZ. That's 15 years ago.

The US YYH actors aren't as good as their original counterparts, but I still prefer Bergmeier to Kurama's JPN actor.
Don't like Ogata's Kurama?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:34 am

Robo4900 wrote:
ABED wrote:He only ever almost passed out once, back when he recorded Goku turning SS3 in DBZ. That's 15 years ago.
Actually, that's not quite true. It is true that he only ever passed out once, but it wasn't during Z; it was when he was doing something as Super Saiyan 4 Goku in GT.

Here's Sean Schemmel telling the story.

Sorry to be pedantic; misinformation like that always really bugs me, y'know?
Thanks, and hey, you're looking at the king of pedantic-ness. I knew it was once and I knew it was a later Super Saiyan form back in during the days of the Z dub and he only did it once.
Don't like Ogata's Kurama?
It's not that. I think it's a good performance. I simply prefer Bergmeier.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:22 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
NitroEX wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Is it hard to cast a good voice actor for these characters (King Kai, Master Roshi, Recoome, Buu and 16)? Because I'm sure it's not. These characters are turned into caricatures because of the voices they're given. It's like they forget that King Kai and Master Roshi can be serious. There's no gravitas to these voices.
They weren't casting with a faithful dub in mind, they (Funimation, and to a lesser extent, Ocean) were trying to make the show work for western kids TV which is obviously very different to Japanese kids TV. If the dub was being made with a hardcore anime audience in mind (which many other dubbing studios did cater to) then we probably would have seen more faithful casting, problem is, that wasn't a hugely profitable strategy at the time and it wasn't something that Saban or Funimation could realistically get on kids TV. I'm not defending it btw, I personally think Funimation went way overboard with how much they tried to Americanise their version of DBZ. Even their Kai dub still holds on to remnants of that in the casting.
Ripper 30 wrote: and McNeil's 16 Sounded too monotone but that was the case with whole Ocean Dub post-Season 3 maybe due to bad voice direction.
The whole Westwood dub sounded monotone? If you hold that opinion then you probably haven't heard much of it, or maybe you're using hyperbole for some reason. Also not quite sure why we're picking on McNeil's 16 specifically, especially when Jeremy Inman's version in DBZ is literally about as monotone as one can get. It seems the direction given to these actors was to sound cold and robotic when playing Androids so it's not entirely their fault, plus in McNeil's case, he was trying to sound different from his other DBZ roles, which limited how he could sound as 16. If Funi or Ocean didn't have the Japanese audio at the time, which seems to have been the case when Funi started dubbing in-house, then I can see why they'd default to a more stereotypical direction.
By that I mean the Ocean Dub going downhill after Namek Arc that's What I meant not Monotone thing infact I think Ocean Dub had better voices but not good direction and script. and yes FUNimation's #16 too sounded monotonous at times Like a Zombie speaking too. Actually FUNi had to imitate FUNi voices from Cell arc which made it worse for them.
You mean Ocean.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:43 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
NitroEX wrote: They weren't casting with a faithful dub in mind, they (Funimation, and to a lesser extent, Ocean) were trying to make the show work for western kids TV which is obviously very different to Japanese kids TV. If the dub was being made with a hardcore anime audience in mind (which many other dubbing studios did cater to) then we probably would have seen more faithful casting, problem is, that wasn't a hugely profitable strategy at the time and it wasn't something that Saban or Funimation could realistically get on kids TV. I'm not defending it btw, I personally think Funimation went way overboard with how much they tried to Americanise their version of DBZ. Even their Kai dub still holds on to remnants of that in the casting.

The whole Westwood dub sounded monotone? If you hold that opinion then you probably haven't heard much of it, or maybe you're using hyperbole for some reason. Also not quite sure why we're picking on McNeil's 16 specifically, especially when Jeremy Inman's version in DBZ is literally about as monotone as one can get. It seems the direction given to these actors was to sound cold and robotic when playing Androids so it's not entirely their fault, plus in McNeil's case, he was trying to sound different from his other DBZ roles, which limited how he could sound as 16. If Funi or Ocean didn't have the Japanese audio at the time, which seems to have been the case when Funi started dubbing in-house, then I can see why they'd default to a more stereotypical direction.
By that I mean the Ocean Dub going downhill after Namek Arc that's What I meant not Monotone thing infact I think Ocean Dub had better voices but not good direction and script. and yes FUNimation's #16 too sounded monotonous at times Like a Zombie speaking too. Actually FUNi had to imitate FUNi voices from Cell arc which made it worse for them.
You mean Ocean.
Yes I meant the Ocean had to imitate FUNi voices.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:49 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: By that I mean the Ocean Dub going downhill after Namek Arc that's What I meant not Monotone thing infact I think Ocean Dub had better voices but not good direction and script. and yes FUNimation's #16 too sounded monotonous at times Like a Zombie speaking too. Actually FUNi had to imitate FUNi voices from Cell arc which made it worse for them.
You mean Ocean.
Yes I meant the Ocean had to imitate FUNi voices.
The Ocean voice actors for 17 and 18 also were told to act more monotone. I don't understand why someone didn't told them: "Guys, show more enthusiasm." A monotone performance (with the exception of a few) is a bad performance and the voice director should know that.