Does anyone have a problem with how Fat Boo sounds in FUNi Dub?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Does anyone have a problem with how Fat Boo sounds in FUNi Dub?

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:06 am

Metalwario64 wrote:Josh Martin should have just used his Kid Buu voice for Fat Buu, since that raspy voice is at least more similar to the Japanese voice.
Yes I just wanted him to make his voice slightly more low pitched and raspy that's it .most of the Non English Voices actually sounded just like Kozo Shioya's Boo but everytime I hear FUNi voice of Boo I just can't stand it
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:10 am

Bansho64 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:I never had a problem with Fat Buus dub voice. I really like it actually.
I agree, it adds more to character he is a fat pink blob with incredible power him sounding childish and annoying really works.
I personally don't really see how it adds to his character. If anything, it really takes a lot away in those really serious moments if you ask me. Especially in those scenes in Z where he's supposed to be scary. I can't take it seriously. His original one portrays the whole "child-like, but frightening" aspect without failing at either.

For example, the scene where he kills Babidi. I feel like a lot of the original atmosphere in that scene is taken away when you reduce his voice to being sort of one dimensional.
In the Japanese dub, Boo is actually fairly intelligent, albiet selfish and a tad childlike. If he doesnt know something, its simply because he doesn't know much about the present time since he was locked up for years. The dub makes him sound like a complete immature baby and very stupid. Why does his vocab need to be that of a 3 year old? He absorbed two Kais in case people forgot! It just shows how a voice can completely change a character if not done right. His dub voice is way worse. It sounds like they put a five year old girl on helium and told her to make her voice as high as possible, and to never use pronouns. They just over exxagerated a certain trait of his character in dub.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:27 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
ABED wrote:It's not a matter of it not matching his JPN counterpart, it's simply annoying. Cook's performance as Buu is also awful, but not as annoying as the high pitched child who still speaks like a toddler.
What's your opinion on the voice Justin Cook used in Kai TFC for Super Boo?
I think it's a big improvement as now it's way more gruff and angrier just like how Japanese Super Boo sounded like
ABED thinks Cook is an awful actor, so I doubt he'll like his new voice. He doesn't even like his performance as Yusuke in Yu Yu Hakusho.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:15 am

Bansho64 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:I never had a problem with Fat Buus dub voice. I really like it actually.
I agree, it adds more to character he is a fat pink blob with incredible power him sounding childish and annoying really works.
I personally don't really see how it adds to his character. If anything, it really takes a lot away in those really serious moments if you ask me. Especially in those scenes in Z where he's supposed to be scary. I can't take it seriously. His original one portrays the whole "child-like, but frightening" aspect without failing at either.

For example, the scene where he kills Babidi. I feel like a lot of the original atmosphere in that scene is taken away when you reduce his voice to being sort of one dimensional.
The fact Buu sounds and acts like a child is what makes him scary, it is exactly the same as Zen-Oh, a super mega powerful god yet looks and sounds like a child.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:23 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Bansho64 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: I agree, it adds more to character he is a fat pink blob with incredible power him sounding childish and annoying really works.

The fact Buu sounds and acts like a child is what makes him scary, it is exactly the same as Zen-Oh, a super mega powerful god yet looks and sounds like a child.
But Zen-oh hardly had a serious or scary moment but Fat Boo actually had many of those moments and in dub whenever he was in rage it sounded like a temper tantrum from a 3 year old girl whereas in Japanese version those creepy moments always felt scary

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:35 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: The fact Buu sounds and acts like a child is what makes him scary, it is exactly the same as Zen-Oh, a super mega powerful god yet looks and sounds like a child.
I don't agree. Looks? Sure. Voice? Not at all. Buu's voice adds that last layer that makes him creepy IMO. It all vanishes if you just make him sound like a one dimensional overgrown baby. It only makes it worse when you change his dialogue to make him sound like an imbecile. He's more intelligent than that.

This clip's a good example of what I mean.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:40 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
Bansho64 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: I agree, it adds more to character he is a fat pink blob with incredible power him sounding childish and annoying really works.

In the Japanese dub, Boo is actually fairly intelligent, albiet selfish and a tad childlike. If he doesnt know something, its simply because he doesn't know much about the present time since he was locked up for years. The dub makes him sound like a complete immature baby and very stupid. Why does his vocab need to be that of a 3 year old? He absorbed two Kais in case people forgot! It just shows how a voice can completely change a character if not done right. His dub voice is way worse. It sounds like they put a five year old girl on helium and told her to make her voice as high as possible, and to never use pronouns. They just over exxagerated a certain trait of his character in dub.
EXACTLY!!!

Giggled at 5 year old girl on helium part.

I think Kozo Shioya's ability to alternate the pitch of each incarnation of Buu be it Fatty, Super Buu (dat subtle nuances when Buutenks / Buuhan speaks) or Good Buu is something not any ordinary VA can pull off, unless its Masako Nozawa

Funi's Fat Buu is downright hilarious. Or should I say, adds to Buu's already unlikable, obnoxious characterizations

Except 2 or 3 scenes (a total of 5 minutes outta Funi Fat Buu's entire segment throughout Z~GT's Baby Arc) Funi voice is mostly a competitor to Speedy Dub

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:09 am

I dunno, I mean I agree that it's an annoying unfitting voice but I just can't bring myself to hate it, there's just something endearing and entertaining about it. I agree that it's way too over the top and would probably give you ear pain listening to it too much but I just can't stop thinking about the character without hearing that voice in my head, especially in Battle of Gods where all the actors had improved (though I can barely tell the difference when it comes to fat Boo (from memory at least)) and they give him the line "ALL PUDDING BELONGS TO BOO!" that cracked me up.

After I discovered the Japanese version I noticed how Japanese Boo sounds like Winnie the Pooh but Funimation Boo sounds like Elmo, and the Funi one is not so good at handling the more emotional scenes because they put more focus on making him sound funny than giving him a voice that gives the actor more room to act and add emotion, like when Mr Satan was shot, the line they give him "BOO HURTING!!!" the way it's delivered shows how hard it is to act while you're putting on that over the top voice.

I've not properly seen DBZKai though, I'm just going off the old dub when I say this but I can't imagine there's been a huge improvement if they're still having the actor do that voice and speak in the 3rd person for no reason (even though it's still a very memorable trait for the character to have that serves to set him apart from the other villains even more drastically, but still if they had just stuck to the Japanese script it would have turned out fine there was no need to change anything).

Overall their dub of the Majin Boo saga had some of their best voice choices, I love their voices for Bobbidi and Dabra and Mr Satan continued to sound great, it seems that when Funi were able to pick actors that weren't hired to do an impression of someone from the Ocean cast they usually made some of their better choices.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:29 pm

It makes my ears bleed. I'd rather listen to season 3's Linda Young. I have no idea why FUNi chose to add those weird effects the voice to make it sound so alien. The original Buu voice is childlike, but still sounds natural.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:18 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
ABED wrote:It's not a matter of it not matching his JPN counterpart, it's simply annoying. Cook's performance as Buu is also awful, but not as annoying as the high pitched child who still speaks like a toddler.
What's your opinion on the voice Justin Cook used in Kai TFC for Super Boo?
I think it's a big improvement as now it's way more gruff and angrier just like how Japanese Super Boo sounded like
ABED thinks Cook is an awful actor, so I doubt he'll like his new voice. He doesn't even like his performance as Yusuke in Yu Yu Hakusho.
Hey, I can speak for my self. I think Cook is an awful actor and I don't like his new voice. I don't even like his performance as Yusuke in Yu Yu Hakusho. :)

In all seriousness, that is correct on all points. I don't think Cook has improved. He still suffers from overacting.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:29 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: The fact Buu sounds and acts like a child is what makes him scary, it is exactly the same as Zen-Oh, a super mega powerful god yet looks and sounds like a child.
I don't agree. Looks? Sure. Voice? Not at all. Buu's voice adds that last layer that makes him creepy IMO. It all vanishes if you just make him sound like a one dimensional overgrown baby. It only makes it worse when you change his dialogue to make him sound like an imbecile. He's more intelligent than that.

This clip's a good example of what I mean.
Personally I agree with Baggie. I just like the voice, I really don't care how the voice sounds in relation to the Japanese.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:55 pm

ABED wrote:Hey, I can speak for my self. I think Cook is an awful actor and I don't like his new voice. I don't even like his performance as Yusuke in Yu Yu Hakusho. :)
Fine by me. I myself can't stand Sabat's Kuwabara. Never understood the praise for it and probably never will when Chiba is a million times better.

Deathbringer wrote:I dunno, I mean I agree that it's an annoying unfitting voice but I just can't bring myself to hate it, there's just something endearing and entertaining about it. I agree that it's way too over the top and would probably give you ear pain listening to it too much but I just can't stop thinking about the character without hearing that voice in my head, especially in Battle of Gods where all the actors had improved (though I can barely tell the difference when it comes to fat Boo (from memory at least)) and they give him the line "ALL PUDDING BELONGS TO BOO!" that cracked me up.

After I discovered the Japanese version I noticed how Japanese Boo sounds like Winnie the Pooh but Funimation Boo sounds like Elmo, and the Funi one is not so good at handling the more emotional scenes because they put more focus on making him sound funny than giving him a voice that gives the actor more room to act and add emotion, like when Mr Satan was shot, the line they give him "BOO HURTING!!!" the way it's delivered shows how hard it is to act while you're putting on that over the top voice.

I've not properly seen DBZKai though, I'm just going off the old dub when I say this but I can't imagine there's been a huge improvement if they're still having the actor do that voice and speak in the 3rd person for no reason (even though it's still a very memorable trait for the character to have that serves to set him apart from the other villains even more drastically, but still if they had just stuck to the Japanese script it would have turned out fine there was no need to change anything).

Overall their dub of the Majin Boo saga had some of their best voice choices, I love their voices for Bobbidi and Dabra and Mr Satan continued to sound great, it seems that when Funi were able to pick actors that weren't hired to do an impression of someone from the Ocean cast they usually made some of their better choices.
Ocean Buu sounds more like Elmo than Funimation Buu to me.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:08 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Personally I agree with Baggie. I just like the voice, I really don't care how the voice sounds in relation to the Japanese.
It's less of how it sounds in it's relation to the original and more of how it relates to the character itself and the effectiveness of said character.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:18 pm

Fine by me. I myself can't stand Sabat's Kuwabara. Never understood the praise for it and probably never will when Chiba is a million times better.
Neither do I.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:29 am

8000 Saiyan wrote: Fine by me. I myself can't stand Sabat's Kuwabara. Never understood the praise for it and probably never will when Chiba is a million times better
I never understood why people overrate Yu Yu Hakusho Dub like Best thing ever, Kuwabara is really hard to take seriously in dub with the voice Sabat gave him.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:32 am

ABED wrote: In all seriousness, that is correct on all points. I don't think Cook has improved. He still suffers from overacting.
Yes at times he overtacted a lot like in Z Dub with Super Boo or Raditz, I mean Chibha gave Raditz such a Menacing deep voice but Cook's Raditz sounded like doing a Brian Drummond impression I prefer Sub voice

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:04 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Fine by me. I myself can't stand Sabat's Kuwabara. Never understood the praise for it and probably never will when Chiba is a million times better
I never understood why people overrate Yu Yu Hakusho Dub like Best thing ever, Kuwabara is really hard to take seriously in dub with the voice Sabat gave him.
Probably all the added jokes, and people think Cook is a better Yusuke than Sasaki because because he sounds more like a delinquent or something like that.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

DrakenballP
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrakenballP » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:07 pm

I personally adore it.. it suits him 100%, but that may be just because it was the first Buu voice I was exposed to as well.
"I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!" - Goku.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:11 pm

Isn't the issue Japanese fans have with Fat buu's pretty much the same issue dub fans have with Nozawa's Goku, It's hard for them to take one of the most powerful beings alive seriously with a high pitch voice. I don't have an issue with either but I see how it can be viewed as having double standards.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:26 pm

Probably all the added jokes, and people think Cook is a better Yusuke than Sasaki because because he sounds more like a delinquent or something like that.
What does a delinquent sound like? Sasaki is overall a superior actor and he never sounds like he's trying to be cool, he just is.