Does anyone have a problem with how Fat Boo sounds in FUNi Dub?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallKing
Regular

Re: Does anyone have a problem with how Fat Boo sounds in FUNi Dub?

Post by DragonBallKing » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:32 pm

ABED wrote:
Probably all the added jokes, and people think Cook is a better Yusuke than Sasaki because because he sounds more like a delinquent or something like that.
What does a delinquent sound like? Sasaki is overall a superior actor and he never sounds like he's trying to be cool, he just is.
It's not my opinion, I've just seen It a lot. It's still a much better dub than Funi Z and I still enjoy it but there are much better dubs now.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:46 pm

ABED wrote:
Probably all the added jokes, and people think Cook is a better Yusuke than Sasaki because because he sounds more like a delinquent or something like that.
What does a delinquent sound like? Sasaki is overall a superior actor and he never sounds like he's trying to be cool, he just is.
To the people who prefer Cook over Sasaki, a deliquent sounds cool. I like Cook's performance, but it's very overrated.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:50 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
ABED wrote:
To the people who prefer Cook over Sasaki, a deliquent sounds cool. I like Cook's performance, but it's very overrated.
But Cook doesn't sound cool, he sounds like someone trying to be cool.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:59 pm

ABED wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
ABED wrote: What does a delinquent sound like? Sasaki is overall a superior actor and he never sounds like he's trying to be cool, he just is.
I'll agree that sometimes he tries too hard to be cool, but yeah, Sasaki is more effortless. The people who don't like Sasaki think he just sounds like a Shonen action hero.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:16 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
ABED wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: To the people who prefer Cook over Sasaki, a deliquent sounds cool. I like Cook's performance, but it's very overrated.
I'll agree that sometimes he tries too hard to be cool, but yeah, Sasaki is more effortless. The people who don't like Sasaki think he just sounds like a Shonen action hero.
Which is'nt true, compare the way he speaks to someone like Shirou from Fate stay night, shiro sounds far more generic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUtE_mCi4Uc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b1XGdzk27o

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:17 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
ABED wrote: But Cook doesn't sound cool, he sounds like someone trying to be cool.
Which is'nt true, compare the way he speaks to someone like Shirou from Fate stay night, shiro sounds far more generic.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:20 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: I'll agree that sometimes he tries too hard to be cool, but yeah, Sasaki is more effortless. The people who don't like Sasaki think he just sounds like a Shonen action hero.
You don't like Sugiyama? I wouldn't call his voice generic.
Last edited by 8000 Saiyan on Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:24 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote: Which is'nt true, compare the way he speaks to someone like Shirou from Fate stay night, shiro sounds far more generic.
You don't like Sugiyama?
It's not that I don't like the actor, I just don't really care for either of his two most well known characters Shiro and Sasuke so maybe I'm biased.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:54 am

DragonBallKing wrote:Isn't the issue Japanese fans have with Fat buu's pretty much the same issue dub fans have with Nozawa's Goku, It's hard for them to take one of the most powerful beings alive seriously with a high pitch voice. I don't have an issue with either but I see how it can be viewed as having double standards.
First of all Japanese fans aren't casual fans who only watch it for fights or muscles but they were exposed to Dragon Ball first then Z and if someone watches it in that order in Japanese then the Goku voice grows on you and they eventually start liking it.

I highly doubt Japanese fans look at goku The same way as US because in Japan he is an overgrown Manchild who loves to fight but in US they look at him like macho Manly dude who is strongest in the Universe .There is no way Boo should sound like Tele Tubbie just because he looks fat and pink, they could have given him a voice similar to Choji from Naruto or something like that instead of giving him a voice which makes even Chaozu sound more terrifying than Boo.
I think personally Josh Martin is overpraised because all he does is speak in a high pitched tone that's it. It's not a very difficult thing to do atleast Scott McNeil's Boo Voice needed skills to do it but either way both Were bad voices for Boo.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:58 am

DragonBallKing wrote:
It's not my opinion, I've just seen It a lot. It's still a much better dub than Funi Z and I still enjoy it but there are much better dubs now.
Yes I agree it's a much better dub than dubs of DB, DBZ and DBGT combined but still I would prefer the Subs for it
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:17 am

DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
You don't like Sugiyama?
It's not that I don't like the actor, I just don't really care for either of his two most well known characters Shiro and Sasuke so maybe I'm biased.
Sugiyama's Sasuke was awesome Though like a Serious Dude who doesn't give a damn about anyone and has a mission to fulfill

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:40 am

Both Boo and Recoom were stuck with what i like to call "Saturday morning cartoon syndrome" where muscular characters sound like big oafs, and child looking characters sound high pitched and annoying.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:38 am

The Ocean dub actor who played Reacoom may have fallen under the "dumb oaf" voice, but he was good at it. Martin was good with Kid Buu but terrible at the high pitched childish voice. It's not even childish so much as grating.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:52 am

ABED wrote:The Ocean dub actor who played Reacoom may have fallen under the "dumb oaf" voice, but he was good at it. Martin was good with Kid Buu but terrible at the high pitched childish voice. It's not even childish so much as grating.
I believe the Ocean voice actor who played Recoome is David Kaye, who is a very talented actor.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:00 pm

I know its off topic but can someone please get the "GET OUT OF MY WAY PAIN!" scene from Yu Yu Hakusho? I really...need to decide who's better. Yes. Just in Japanese.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:32 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I know its off topic but can someone please get the "GET OUT OF MY WAY PAIN!" scene from Yu Yu Hakusho? I really...need to decide who's better. Yes. Just in Japanese.
Here's a comparison, Japanese is first.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYFQ4LTqYWQ

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:38 pm

God was that scene awesome!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:03 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
ABED wrote:The Ocean dub actor who played Reacoom may have fallen under the "dumb oaf" voice, but he was good at it. Martin was good with Kid Buu but terrible at the high pitched childish voice. It's not even childish so much as grating.
I believe the Ocean voice actor who played Recoome is David Kaye, who is a very talented actor.
I actually prefer David Kaye's Reacoom Voice after Kenji Utsumi's because those two are the only one who made Him sound like a Ferocious and Hillarious Badass but Chris Sabat in Both Z and Kai Dubs made him sound like a Braindead Retard type of a Character and I don't know why, it's even Evident in This video

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:15 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
I actually prefer David Kaye's Reacoom Voice after Kenji Utsumi's because those two are the only one who made Him sound like a Ferocious and Hillarious Badass but Chris Sabat in Both Z and Kai Dubs made him sound like a Braindead Retard type of a Character and I don't know why, it's even Evident in This video
We'll never know. Funny thing, Sabat could have done much better if he used his Armstrong voice for Recoome. I can't fathom how anyone can stand Sabat's Recoome. It's just as bad as McFarland's Roshi, Schemmel's King Kai, Martin's Buu and McNeil's Android 16.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:39 pm

To be fair, I think McFarland is good as Roshi in his comedic moments.