Voices sounding age appropriate?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Voices sounding age appropriate?

Post by Doctor. » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:59 pm

Zephyr wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Japanese characters are not about subtlety or realism, even if pieces of their characters are subtle or realistic. Japanese characters are about being flamboyant and easily understandable or recognizable.
Assuming this odd stereotype also extends to manga, in your mind: you should give Berserk a read some time, my man.
I think he's generalizing way too much based on what's mainstream. Plenty of anime and manga go for the realist approach. Naoki Urasawa is a perfect example.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:01 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Zephyr wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Japanese characters are not about subtlety or realism, even if pieces of their characters are subtle or realistic. Japanese characters are about being flamboyant and easily understandable or recognizable.
Assuming this odd stereotype also extends to manga, in your mind: you should give Berserk a read some time, my man.
I think he's generalizing way too much based on what's mainstream. Plenty of anime and manga go for the realist approach. Naoki Urasawa is a perfect example.
Yes! Monster in particular is horribly under-appreciated.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:04 pm

Zephyr wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Zephyr wrote: Assuming this odd stereotype also extends to manga, in your mind: you should give Berserk a read some time, my man.
Yes! Monster in particular is horribly under-appreciated.
Monster is fantastic, but I feel like his other works deserve just as much recognition; anime adaptations of Pluto, Billy Bat and 20th Century Boys would make me squeal like a fangirl.

Buuuuut... off-topic :P

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:39 pm

Zephyr wrote:
The only thing I know about Berserk is that the music score by Sagisu Shirou is most aptly described as being 'fucking awesome'.

After a quick Google Images search I can confirm that Berserk is indeed just as flamboyant as most other Japanese comics.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:44 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Zephyr wrote:
The only thing I know about Berserk is that the music score by Sagisu Shirou is most aptly described as being 'fucking awesome'.

After a quick Google Images search I can confirm that Berserk is indeed just as flamboyant as most other Japanese comics.
Well, if you'd actually read it, you'd be able to confirm that these Japanese characters are overflowing with subtlety and realistic human characteristics. :P

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:56 pm

Zephyr wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
Zephyr wrote: Assuming this odd stereotype also extends to manga, in your mind: you should give Berserk a read some time, my man.

Well, if you'd actually read it, you'd be able to confirm that these Japanese characters are overflowing with subtlety and realistic human characteristics. :P
I never said these things were lacking, I said the focus wasn't on realism. Realism is only another element to establish these works' rhythm. For example, Evangelion makes use of hyper-detailed mecha, but otherwise unrealistic character designs. It's teenage boys are voiced by men...except for the main character, voiced by a woman to highlight the difference between the main character and the rest of the cast.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:41 am

JulieYBM wrote:
It's teenage boys are voiced by men...except for the main character, voiced by a woman to highlight the difference between the main character and the rest of the cast.
Same can be said for Goku being voiced by Woman but his friends like Tenshinhan and Yamucha being voiced by man to show how different goku was from them
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:19 pm

Saffron Henderson's voices for Kid Goku and Kid Gohan were very age appropriate. Her little boy voices haven't aged a bit although she's in her late forties.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:49 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Saffron Henderson's voices for Kid Goku and Kid Gohan were very age appropriate. Her little boy voices haven't aged a bit although she's in her late forties.
The aging probably helps in that case, because your voice is slightly deeper in your 40's than 20's. Heck just look at nozawa even here goku is slightly deeper now.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:16 am

DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Saffron Henderson's voices for Kid Goku and Kid Gohan were very age appropriate. Her little boy voices haven't aged a bit although she's in her late forties.
The aging probably helps in that case, because your voice is slightly deeper in your 40's than 20's. Heck just look at nozawa even here goku is slightly deeper now
No,it was more deeper in Z but now Due to Old age Nozawa has a slight rasp in her voice which works in favour of Goku voice to hide the fact that it's a female voicing him.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30