Opinions on Resurrection 'F' two years later?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Opinions on Resurrection 'F' two years later?

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:46 pm

ABED wrote:It's a visual storytelling medium. It's visual STORYTELLING, not VISUAL storytelling.
Precisely. Nobody's saying that animation is unimportant, but choosing between writing or animation as to what's more important should be obvious.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:42 pm

Overlord78 wrote:My opinion hasn't changed. It's still one of the worst dragon ball movies created.
I'd place it above at least half of DBZ's movies. Take away the nostalgia and a lot of DBZ movies are either boring, underwhelming or just have not much plot in general.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:50 pm

precita wrote:
Overlord78 wrote:My opinion hasn't changed. It's still one of the worst dragon ball movies created.
I'd place it above at least half of DBZ's movies. Take away the nostalgia and a lot of DBZ movies are either boring, underwhelming or just have not much plot in general.
At least the earlier movies have shorter runtimes.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:58 pm

It's a passable action-flick that keeps you entertained while it's going on but which leaves very little of an impression.

Pretty much what I've thought of it since I first saw it. It has a few cool scenes in it, it's never outright boring, but it does very much feel like a generic shonen anime filler movie where nothing of importance really happens. Even the introduction of Super Saiyan Blue feels a bit half-hearted in that the movie never shows us how Goku and Vegeta learned it, so it just becomes "Yo I got this new form off-screen!"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:00 pm

Doctor. wrote:
ABED wrote:It's a visual storytelling medium. It's visual STORYTELLING, not VISUAL storytelling.
Precisely. Nobody's saying that animation is unimportant, but choosing between writing or animation as to what's more important should be obvious.
That said, it should all be integrated - the visuals, the characters, the story, the performances, the music, etc.
it does very much feel like a generic shonen anime filler movie where nothing of importance really happens.
Well put.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:27 pm

ABED wrote:What did they add to RoF or does it all feel completely like padding?
We see how Goku and Vegeta ended up training with Whis and that it was Vegeta's idea.
Vegeta gets to train alone for 6 months before Goku and reaches that power level without the ritual.
We see a lot more of their training with Whis.
Tagoma kills Shisami (the red guy) while also nearly killing Gohan.
Ginyu comes back and takes Tagoma's body.
Gohan goes Ssj afterwards and beats him before Gotenks flies in and knocks him out.
Freeza nearly kills Gohan but Piccolo takes the shot instead and dies.
Gohan powers up enough to help Goku reach him who saves him from another shot by Freeza.
Ginyu gets back up but Vegeta kills him.
Goku and 4th form Freeza's fight is more even while in the movie it was one sided in Goku's favor.
Golden Freeza completely destroys Blue Goku unlike the movie.
When Freeza loses his power Goku just gets one hit in before powering down to let him live only for Sorbet to use his ring on him.
Freeza tries to kill Goku but Vegeta steps in.
Vegeta gets a longer fight with Freeza than he did in the movie and unlike that where Goku beat him up, Vegeta was the only one who was able to do anything to him up to that point.
When Freeza destroy's earth we see ChChi, Bulma's parents and others die.
At the end they have a little party to celebrate their victory over Freeza.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:04 pm

It's an okay movie. Nothing special about it.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:13 pm

It's been a while since I've seen it...but I liked it and probably still would. I think I would rather sit through the movie again than watch the television adaptation another time. I think it holds up better than a lot of the Z movies as well.

Things that I like/don't bother me

-The B-Team taking on Freeza's mooks. Honestly, that's the highlight of the movie for me. I wish the series had more stuff like that. Hell, I would love to see another story arc ala the Garlic Jr. Saga where Goku and Vegeta are out of the picture.
-Freeza in general. He's the best villain in the series and he hadn't been around for years. His strategy cracked me up... "Those guys are strong because they train all the time. I'm ridiculously strong and I'm lazy as shit! Ergo, a few months of training will put me way ahead of them." Also, it sets up his role later on in Super.
-At least there was an attempt to give Goku and Vegeta some development.
-That Maximum The Hormone song kicks ass.

Things that bug me:

-Super Saiyan Blue. SS God was barely around at all an didn't have time to breathe. It ...and how the hell does Vegeta learn to become SSB anyway? Didn't Goku make it sound like that SSG was pre-requisite for SSB?
-The total Deus Ex Machina resolution to the fight.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:04 am

I still like the movie a hell of a lot, and I'd still rank it as my favorite Dragon Ball movie purely because of how much enjoyment I got out of it, despite its issues. Funny enough, I'm currently watching the dub of the Resurrection F retelling, and as much as I resent that arc for dropping the ball in some departments, it's actually better written than some parts of the movie.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:23 am

There is really no reason to revisit the movie, like at all. In the past years I've really warmed up to the Super arc, the more I think about it. A lot of the flaws of the movie in the writing category got fixed, the storyboarding is 100 times better for most of the key moments and even in the animation department, where there should be no contest (with the arc being the worst thing DB ever put) I think the amount of highs is pretty much equal and for every ugly drawn shot in the series, there's an equally ugly CGI shot in the movie. The only thing I can say the movie does better is the invasion/fight against the henchmen, but they're both missing so many opportunities at every turn that the whole act is just plain annoying.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:48 am

I thought this was talking about a
"ROF two" which somehow I didn't know about..
Phew!

My rating for rof fell from a 9/10 to a 7/10..
Surprisingly that's because how well super is handling freezas return in ToP..
It has freeza's charm, which rof lacked due to it being mostly fight focused..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:29 pm

I rather like the movie even today. I think it looks rather nice save for the CGI bits. The debut of Blue makes my inner 12 year old explode with glee. The section with the Dragon Team and Jaco fighting Freeza's soldiers is tons of fun, giving us lots of laughs and some neat martial arts moves. Finally making Maximum the Hormone's "F" an official DB song is super satisfying. And for my favorite part, the vocal performances in both Japanese and English are top-notch, with both Ryusei Nakao and Chris Ayers stealing the show.

I also understand the criticisms, though. There's really no plot to speak of. The fanservice can get kinda grating. A few plot points could have been better executed (some ARE better executed in the Super version, despite the arc ultimately not stacking up to the film in my eyes). The punching can kinda get old after a while. Beerus and Whis kinda kill the tension. And to be honest, it's ultimately a step down from the high standard that Battle of Gods set for modern Dragon Ball content. I still enjoy it tons, though. That may be due to the fact that I spoiled myself as soon as I could once Julian saw the film and gave his plot synopsis. I already knew going in what kind of movie this was going to be - the modern equivalent to one of the 90s Z movies with marginally more substance (mainly thanks to its feature-length running time and the foundation that BoG gave). Once I knew what sort of movie this was, I was able to adjust my expectations accordingly.

With that said, I completely understand why some people such as MistareFusion hate it. Battle of Gods gave us an example of a Dragon Ball movie that did more than have guys punching each other - it had a real story with real substance, character growth, world building, and a sense of purpose despite coming out over fifteen years after the original manga's run. Being the followup to such a great film, Resurrection F really should have taken the modern era of DB stories to new heights. Instead we got a film that was relatively inconsequential outside of new colors and clothes for the characters and was about the same level of quality as the better 90s movies. I mean, it's a fun ride if you like dudes punch each other like I do (I generally like plotless martial arts films, so yeah), but if you want something more in your DB films you're better off sticking with Battle of Gods.

Heck, the way things are going in Super right now I'd even argue that the Universe Survival Arc is a better Resurrection F than Resurrection F itself! Of course, it's a tad early to judge, but the execution of Freeza's latest return so far has been so much better than it has any right to be. It may actually give Resurrection F meaning if done right. We'll just have to wait and see. As for the original film, it's nothing more than a fun (if slightly disappointing) action film that I enjoy revisiting from time to time.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:14 pm

Just because 2 years passed since that atrocity came out, it doesn't change how I feel about it.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl