Opinions on Resurrection 'F' two years later?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Opinions on Resurrection 'F' two years later?

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:06 am

Now that Freeza has been brought back yet again,I figured now would be a good time to ask; what are everyone's current opinions on Ressurection 'F', and why? Given how divisive the movie is in comparison to BoG, I'm interested in hearing opinions from both sides of the spectrum.

For me personally, I was already pretty underwhelmed by the film when I first saw it, and I've honestly come to really dislike it upon rewatching it. The movie was honestly a huge step down from BoG, in my opinion. Whereas BoG introduced some interesting new characters in the form of Beerus and Whis, and genuinely helped expand the lore of the franchise, RF just felt like a lazy and cynical attempt to cash in on Freeza's iconic status as a villain.

Nothing about the movie presented anything new or worthwhile for the franchise. It just felt like a very half-assed and contrived excuse to make Freeza relevant again. I'm not saying that the film had to be complex or groundbreaking, but it genuinely felt like no real effort was put into the story. It was just 90 minutes of either boring exposition, some flashy fight scenes with no real stakes behind them, and the recycled gag of Beerus and Whis obsessing over Earth food. While BoG felt like it was made out of genuine love and respect for the franchise, RF just felt like Toriyama read up on some old fanfics, and then made a 90 minute film based on that.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Re: Opinions on Resurrection 'F' two years later?

Post by Zephyr » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:41 am

I think it'll more warrant a full second look once Super's finally wrapped up (since we don't know if the things RoF set up that the ToP appears to be delivering on will actually deliver on them, and we don't know if even more things set up in the film will receive a later payoff), but I'll give it a shot.

I do think the film was certainly flawed in several aspects. Without going into detail, the most readily apparent reason for this is because the only way I revisit the film now is via Ajay's Super Cut. It adds so much to the film, by way of integrating select things that Super's TV retelling arc added, that really make things just work better. So much so, that I think introducing someone to that story through the original film is to introduce them to a strictly inferior telling of it. That.....doesn't reflect entirely positively on Toriyama's/Toei's work for the original film (which is in no way intended to devalue the work that they did for it).

Now, if I am to be a filthy cheater (and I'm kind of forced to, as, once again, I don't even bother with the original film anymore), and look at "Resurrection F" as said Super Cut, I do think it's a nice little bit of fanservice, albeit still lacking in substance, on its own. As it stands, though, in the greater picture of Super (really, as a mere 'chapter' in the overall 'arc'), I think I really like it:
- It sets up the food that ultimately serves as the crux for the tournament against Universe 6 (which itself ultimately serves as the crux for the Tournament of Power).
- Goku and Vegeta's smug refusal to work together seems to inadvertently foreshadow them later having to work together, at the Tournament of Power.
- It starts up Gohan's, only briefly seen, path towards returning as a fighter (and also to a very small extent, Roshi's).
- Freeza's incredible power up, as well as his bringing of his entire army to Earth (only to wipe them all out), greatly reduces the amount of available fighters in the universe, contributing to Beerus' scolding of Goku and co., which ultimately prompts Freeza's inclusion on their team in the present day. I also think the fact that Freeza managed to get some of his vitriol toward Goku out of his system made their cooperation actually possible. I don't know, it's just super cool watching the film's major fights, and knowing that they're all going to have to join forces later on.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:51 am

You have to remember the movie was created before they knew they were making a series, so all it was, was essentially a fun fanservice movie of Freeza returning. In that regard it's no different than all the past DBZ movies, it was never meant to lead to anything or be anything more than what it was.

A lot of the things people complained about back then, like Gohan being weak or Goku getting nearly killed by a laser, now no longer matters as they have explanation in the new canon.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:06 am

I like to think of it as Return of Jafar after Aladdin, except that the former had worse animation, when Resurrection of F was better at it. It was the movie that paved the way for a series after Battle of Gods, as if they were trying to make sure that its success wasn't by mere chance, with the only difference being that they were arcs in DB Super. Perhaps a third movie like The King of Thieves (to keep the analogy) is due when the series is over, but encompassing one of its arcs, so that it can fit and continue BoG and RoF.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:39 am

RoF was dope as f*** outclasses BOG in every department: backstory, action choreography, unexpected twists & memorable finale

My only complant was the underwhelming score. Other than Shunsuke Kikuchi, dare say NONE of the composers managed to inject the required BGM be it heroic, tragic or dramatic. Growing up with DBZ films, each had their distinct template BGM. Say, Broly's BGM is harrowingly dark, while Janemba's theme is wacky & demonic at same time

Dats where RoF weakest link lies

PeanutSaiyan
Banned

Post by PeanutSaiyan » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:51 am

It was such a wasted opportunity. Frieza vs. Saiyans and vice versa is the richest part of Dbz lore, it was a shame his return was so underwhelming.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:32 am

It still gets a zero from me. I have only seen the movie once and have no intention of watching it again. It gives a fierce competition to Dragon Ball Minus for the title of the worst thing to come out of Toriyama. Add to that, horrible and amateurish direction by debut director Yamamuro and it sucks the life out of pretty much anything remotely interesting the movie had to offer.

Nakao's performance and Hayashi's cuts at the end of the movie when Vegeta beats down Freeza are the only things that have some value to it.

The film overall fails to interest me or entertain me in any way. Bland music, bad use of CG especially in the Gokuu Freeza fight, uninteresting characterization of Gokuu and Vegeta throughout the film, boring action choreography for the most part and as I said earlier poorly directed and boarded by an inexperienced director. All in all a terribly executed film.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:39 am

It's up there with Broly as the worst Dragon Ball thing made.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:50 am

Resurrection "F" you mean Battle of Gods 2.0? It's essentially the same film just minus a few details I love BoG and I love "F", the action in "F" is a lot more focused and sustained than in BoG the focus in BoG wasn't great we as the audience couldn't sink our teeth into the action at all as soon it gets going it stops cuz Goku and Beerus want a chat in a cave for example. Also the humour in "F" is a lot better it's less gaggy and more reliant on interactions. The none CG art is also a step up from BoG, the music aswell played to Sumitomo's strength and the film introduced SSGSS so yeah I liked the film a lot. Saw it three times in cimema's and even bought the Japanese collectors edition.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:54 am

I wouldn't say ROF was divisive. It's pretty well liked by most outside of the Kanzenshuu forums(https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dragon ... rrection_f).

Anyway I find ROF to be an extremely enjoyable action oriented movie. Sure, it's different then BOG, which deeply expanded on lore and had a lot of comedic moments(at the expensive of action), but thats fine. Also, unlike the ROF arc of super, it actually has the animation quality to back up a story dedicated to action rather then lore expanding.
Imo, ROF becomes even more enjoyable if you watch episodes 16 & 18 of Super beforehand.

So its definitely my favorite Dragon Ball movie, as for story wise, I'd say its my 4th favorite story, after the Goku Black, Frieza, and Buu arcs.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:06 am

On the whole, opinions on RoF have tanked in the last year or so. Upon rewatch, I honestly can't find much to like about it. There's no story. The angles are boring, there's no weight to any of the action. The scene transitions are abrupt and jarring, creating a disjointed feel across the whole movie. Overuse of CG.

There are some things to like, such as Jaco's inclusion and Kuririn's new job, but otherwise, it's a total loss.
Retired.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:29 am

I still think Movie 15 was one the worst things Toriyama could come up with (I can't say it is the worst because Dragon Ball Minus, can't decide which one is worse).

What that movie ever contributed to? Nothing there is important enough that couldn't be skipped. Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan could easily appear in the beginning of Universe 6 saga. Jaco could make his debut appearance beyond his manga in Future Trunks saga, as he is related to the "time travel" theme.

The movie didn't add anything to the plot itself and to the lore. It was a fanservice since the beginning, as Toriyama only decided to make it just because he listened to a song about Freeza. Movie 15 just made Freeza an unbearable character, appearing everywhere. If only it didn't exist, his return in Universe Survival saga would be a little more appreciated. Too bad they want to make Freeza a new Broly.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:35 am

I think the basic plot could've taken place after the upcoming tournament cause Freeza will already be there so they wouldn't have to bring him back a 2nd time.

In terms of what we got, I overall liked it, especially Super's version cause Vegeta played more of a main role in it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:43 am

Not a very popular opinion, but I really enjoyed it. To me, Battle of Gods was a let-down for several reasons. For one thing, I was really excited for the movie because it was a new Dragon Ball movie and it was getting all of this attention. Well, I guess I got my hopes up too much and my expectations soured my experience with Battle of Gods. With Resurrection F, I came into it with a totally different mindset. I thought it was going to be terrible. Everything I read about it looked awful -- a retelling of the Freeza fight, Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan which is just a recolor of Super Saiyan, the fact that we just had a new transformation and already had an even newer one, this whole "god" stuff. I really thought it was going to be terrible. I had the bar set so low that it actually exceeded my expectations and I ended up enjoying it.

Overall, since Battle of Gods, Resurrection F, and Super, I've changed my outlook on the series and really don't overthink it anymore. I never really cared for "inconsistencies" and it never truly bothered me, but at this point, I don't even expect anything amazing from the series. I just want to watch it just to kind of have some mindless fun. From that aspect, I can enjoy Battle of Gods and Resurrection F much more than I thought I could.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:04 pm

So you don't like Battle of Gods because you expected too much and you like RoF because you didn't expect anything?

My opinion hasn't really changed. The boasting of Tagoma being as strong as Dodoria and Zarbon still bugs me. I can enjoy things that are less than amazing quality (e.g. Power Rangers), but it's contextual. I expect certain things out of DB, not just mindless fun where rules and logic go out the window. The fight was okay, but nothing great and recycling Freeza added nothing. I've grown to dislike fanservice more and more as time goes on. All it does is remind me of what I liked previously.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:19 pm

ABED wrote:So you don't like Battle of Gods because you expected too much and you like RoF because you didn't expect anything?
Pretty much. That's how I am with movies/TV shows/anything. I've just learned not to expect great things from the series anymore. It could be entertaining, but not in a deep, epic kind of way. What's amazing is that now all of a sudden, I see what people meant when they said that it was always lighthearted and not so serious. I also see why people say it was a "gag" manga in the beginning. Z kind of took it to a grander level, but obviously it won't come close to Z, so I just take it as it is. By itself, stand-alone, I can enjoy it. And with this perspective, I guarantee that if I re-watched Battle of Gods, I'd probably enjoy it much more too.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:44 pm

Even when DB is at its most epic or dark, it's still a lighthearted show at its core.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:47 pm

Dragon Ball doesn't have high standards to hit, but when most of the new stuff can't even fall under "Dragon Ball good" then someone is screwing up.

At least the movie looks nice, the arc version is possibly among the most obnoxious things I've seen in the last few years along with Rogue One and GotG Part 2: James Gunn won't shut the fuck up.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:47 pm

Same now as then: It's a fun insert story with some flashy action and good character writing courtesy of Toriyama. Narratively, I like that Freeza came back, and that's gone on to be used for (fingers crossed!) interesting things in Super.

My only real misgiving is that we don't get to witness Freeza having his own evil space version of Goku's archetypical wuxia training moments via montage.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:53 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Dragon Ball doesn't have high standards to hit, but when most of the new stuff can't even fall under "Dragon Ball good" then someone is screwing up.

At least the movie looks nice, the arc version is possibly among the most obnoxious things I've seen in the last few years along with Rogue One and GotG Part 2: James Gunn won't shut the fuck up.
Please don't lump GOTG 2 with Rogue One. That ending was so beautiful, whereas Rogue One was simply a bad fan film.

I feel like some are taking the "adjust your expectations" a little too far. DB has plenty of genuinely great moments in them.