The Prospect of Toei Doing a Mini Arc Adapting the Jaco Manga for Super in Between the Regular Arcs in Super

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

The Prospect of Toei Doing a Mini Arc Adapting the Jaco Manga for Super in Between the Regular Arcs in Super

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:44 am

Hello. Recently, as in the last month or so, someone posted their wish that the English dub of Super retconned Jaco's landing on Earth in the present in the arc to be his first rather than that he did before that trip. Obviously, that wasn't going to happen considering they didn't do it for Resurrection F, FUNi's translation team being really good with keeping all relevant information present in their newer dubs, & the fact that his appearance in but the movie & this arc being promo material for the Jaco manga.
This resulted in me thinking about if Toei were to adapt the Jaco manga into a mini arc for Super in between the regular arcs, since Toei loves to do those for Super. Would that be something that people would wanna see put into the series, or should it be its own OVA miniseries of, like, 6-7 episodes or so, depending on how much material of the manga is adapted at per episode? It would make more sense to adapt it for Super, especially if it's set up with Jaco telling the story of how he came to be on Earth all those years prior, plus marketing. It's been almost 4 years since the Manga was serialized in Japan, so it's had a good amount of time to sell, plus I'm betting people would like to see it animated. Should Toei do it, or no?
Last edited by Scsigs on Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Re: The Prospect of Toei Doing a Mini Arc Adapting the Jaco Manga for Super in Between the Regular Arcs

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:06 am

I wouldn't mind an OVA, that would be cool
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: The Prospect of Toei Doing a Mini Arc Adapting the Jaco Manga for Super in Between the Regular Arcs

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:12 am

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:I wouldn't mind an OVA, that would be cool
Right?

Quantum-Kakarrotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Quantum-Kakarrotto » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:19 am

I think an OVA would be great for Jaco, it could help fans who didn't read his manga understand the story of Jaco more, along with explaining the new origin for Goku if the OVA included Dragon Ball Minus.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:22 am

If Toei did a mini arc it could also give the manga more time to catch up to the anime.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:43 am

Quantum-Kakarrotto wrote:I think an OVA would be great for Jaco, it could help fans who didn't read his manga understand the story of Jaco more, along with explaining the new origin for Goku if the OVA included Dragon Ball Minus.
Except, if they did, that'd piss in more fans' Cheerios than the manga already did. The Bardock special is already great, just leave it alone. Plus, Minus is crap as is & I doubt Toei's writing staff could do anything to make it better.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:44 am

Scsigs wrote:
Quantum-Kakarrotto wrote:I think an OVA would be great for Jaco, it could help fans who didn't read his manga understand the story of Jaco more, along with explaining the new origin for Goku if the OVA included Dragon Ball Minus.
Except, if they did, that'd piss in more fans' Cheerios than the manga already did. The Bardock special is already great, just leave it alone. Plus, Minus is crap as is & I doubt Toei's writing staff could do anything to make it better.
DHM211 wrote:If Toei did a mini arc it could also give the manga more time to catch up to the anime.
Maybe it would. All depend on how many episodes they give it.

Quantum-Kakarrotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Quantum-Kakarrotto » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:12 am

Scsigs wrote:
Minus is basically the same as Toriyama's version of the Trunks Special, just checkpoints of important details that needed to be explained in his version. And yet Toei took an 18-page story and turned it into a great TV Special. They could do the same with Minus and turn it into something great. Also if Toei did do an OVA of Jaco, would anyone want it to be a multiple episode OVA or just a single one?

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:24 am

Quantum-Kakarrotto wrote:Also if Toei did do an OVA of Jaco, would anyone want it to be a multiple episode OVA or just a single one?
Depends on the length of the OVA. If it was just one, 25-minute episode, I don't think there would be enough time to cover the material. A 50-minute OVA might be able to fit it all in, though.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:28 am

Footlong Shoe wrote:
Quantum-Kakarrotto wrote:Also if Toei did do an OVA of Jaco, would anyone want it to be a multiple episode OVA or just a single one?
Depends on the length of the OVA. If it was just one, 25-minute episode, I don't think there would be enough time to cover the material. A 50-minute OVA might be able to fit it all in, though.
Depends on the pace & writing, but maybe a TV special around 90 minutes?

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:07 am

I'd like to continue to pretend that Minus doesn't exist, so, no thanks.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: The Prospect of Toei Doing a Mini Arc Adapting the Jaco Manga for Super in Between the Regular Arcs in Super

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:04 pm

It should have happened before the Resurrection F arc. But I guess Jaco is not popular to demand his mini arc.

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: The Prospect of Toei Doing a Mini Arc Adapting the Jaco Manga for Super in Between the Regular Arcs in Super

Post by Deathbringer » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:43 pm

Don't make it a mini arc in Dragon Ball Super, despite the fact that it would be a lot better than most of the filler they usually do it wouldn't make much sense to have a story set way before the beginning of the series just dumped in the middle.

But also don't make it an OVA either, yeah I would be fine with an OVA but I've always wanted to see them do a movie of Jaco instead, the manga is only 1 volume and when you read that volume it all rounds together into a nice story that isn't too long or too short, it would be the perfect length for a movie. Not only that but they could take advantage of the budget and production that a movie would provide, they could have the main theme (or most likely the credits theme) of the movie be the rocket song that An Azuki sings in the manga for example. They could also take proper advantage of expanding on thins from the manga, Omori's life on the island at the beginning is very sombre for a few panels and I think the movie could give elements of his character more time to be fleshed out, they could have flashbacks of what happened to his wife for example. And of course the animation would be of a nicer quality and things like the element of action sci-fi adventure and the design of Omori's island could be accentuated by the higher production value.

Dragon Ball Minus would work better as a fleshed-out OVA similar to what they did with Trunks The Story.

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:59 pm

I was thinking about this the other day actually! I would love if they adapted Jaco into like a TV special. It would be fun to have Bulma talk to Tights about it and ask her "hey, how did you guys meet again?" Then, the special would start. Dragon Ball Minus would be a cool separate special to do, too.
Founder of The Dragonball: Evolution Archive.
You must have faith in who you are.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:04 pm

Maybe not in an arc, but as a special or movie. Since we haven't had a Super movie other than BoG and RoF, which don't even count because they came before the series, it would be kind of cool to have a movie like back in the day. Another possibility would be to do it as a special like Bardock and Trunks, which would be equally neat.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:30 am

If they made it as a Super mini-arc wouldn't it help the show's production? They would already have all the scripts, storyboards and characters design to use. It wouldn't be animation heavy either, and it would be definitely interesting to watch.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:08 pm

Could make a fun 45-minute TV special like the GT special or the two Z ones.

Dunno if it could be a full anime, but whatever form it takes, I would like to see an animated version of Jaco out there.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.