Dale Kelly's Ginyu?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bansho64
I Live Here

Dale Kelly's Ginyu?

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:10 pm

What are you guy's thoughts on Dale Kelly's Ginyu? It's one of the lesser voices talked about when people discuss the old dub, so I thought it'd be a good topic.

Surprisingly, I think it's one of the few performances of the old dub that actually isn't half bad. There's plenty of hammy lines to go along with it, but I think there's a certain energy here that puts it out there. And, while it isn't on the level of either R. Bruce Elliot's or Brice Armstrong's respective takes, it isn't bad IMO either.

What do you guys think?

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Dale Kelly's Ginyu?

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:25 pm

He was one of the standouts of the old dub and he had a lot of energy in the role. I agree that he isn't as good as Elliot and Armstrong. My personal favourite English Ginyu is Richard Newman from the Ocean Group dub, who plays Rhinox in Beast Wars and Bison in the old Street Fighter cartoon.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:29 am

He was pretty good despite the problems the original dub had. It would be interesting to hear his Ginyu directed well.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:37 am

He's still my favourite Captain Ginyu. The guy put some serious passion into the role and was really over the top in a way that suited the character. He managed to sound both funny and intimidating which basically sums up the character. His screams were pretty awesome too.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:41 am

Not a huge fan. I thought he was one of the more significant downgrades from the Ocean dub to the Funi in-house dub. Richard Newman is one of my favorite dub voices across all the English versions though so I might be a bit biased.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:52 pm

TheBigBoy wrote:Not a huge fan. I thought he was one of the more significant downgrades from the Ocean dub to the Funi in-house dub. Richard Newman is one of my favorite dub voices across all the English versions though so I might be a bit biased.
Agreed.

Honestly, I think I'd rank Dale Kelly's at the bottom out of the Captain Ginyu voices.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.