DBZ: A Stand-Alone Series?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

DBZ: A Stand-Alone Series?

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:22 pm

The question in the title is a bit misleading because I'm not looking for an answer. I have my view, but I'm interested in discussing it. Some say that Z is kind of standalone series because how different it is to DB. I say otherwise. Not only is it nothing like a standalone, it's also not that different from DB. The revelation of Goku's heritage is a watershed moment, but the series had already made several big shifts prior. This is one of several over the years. What say you all?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Doctor.
Banned

Re: DBZ: A Stand-Alone Series?

Post by Doctor. » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:27 pm

It's certainly not meant to be one, but I think the fact that so many people started with Z and still managed become friends is a testament to the idea that it can function as a stand-alone series. Most of the arcs are very self-contained. You don't need to know about the relationship these characters have with each-other beyond the fact that they're all friends, I think their personalities are strong enough that you can get immediately attached to them and root for them even if you start with #1 of Z. The reveal that Goku is an alien isn't as impactful and you'd be slightly confused during the Cell arc asking yourself what the hell the Red Ribbon Army is (but beyond being name-dropped, the villains have actually very little to do with the original RRA, so it's not like you need much background information beyond the fact that they were an army that Goku beat; I think Z filler even gives this much context), but it can work as stand-alone.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:34 pm

Sure, the plot is simple to follow. It's not like Person of Interest where the plot gets more complex over time. However, I would still never call DBZ a standalone series.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:42 pm

ABED wrote:Sure, the plot is simple to follow. It's not like Person of Interest where the plot gets more complex over time. However, I would still never call DBZ a standalone series.
It's definitely not one, it's a sequel and it's adapted from a comic that was never divided to begin with. But it can work as a stand-alone series, intentionally or not. I also don't think it's much different from DB, it's different if you compare it to the first arc, but it's disingenuous to pretend the two Piccolo arcs are anything like the first arc of the series.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:07 pm

I view DB and DBZ as one long, delightful story, personally, but both work as a stand-alone as well.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:17 pm

It works as one because the story is set 5 years later and isn't continuing any major plot points form before, the writing is very different as it focuses a lot on the secondary characters and action & all the major characters (Vegeta, Gohan, Trunks, Piccolo & Goku's origin) are introduced in it so you get everything you need to know from the start.

There are countless stories that start with events already established and work just fine so Z starting with established relationships and events isn't anything new to storytelling.

If Z can't work alone because we didn't see how everything came together than neither can DB cause we didn't see Goku get adopted, we didn't see how Bulma found out about the DB's, we didn't see master roshi's previous adventures, we didn't see the 20 past tournaments, we didn't see oolong and ouar learn how to shapeshift, we didn't see how Yamcha ended up in the desert, etc.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:21 pm

The Buu Arc is a standalone series.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:25 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:The Buu Arc is a standalone series.
It really should have been DBZ 2, shouldn't it.
But at least they changed the opening for that arc!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:27 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:The Buu Arc is a standalone series.
It really should have been DBZ 2, shouldn't it.
We kind of got that with Kai.

I think they might've added 2 or something to it if Z wasn't as popular as it was.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:30 pm

There are countless stories that start with events already established and work just fine so Z starting with established relationships and events isn't anything new to storytelling.
That's literally EVERY story. Every story starts with already established relationships, but no story would start with "you thought you were human, but you are really an alien!" There's no context for that revelation to land emotionally, nor is Piccolo's relationship to Goku. The difference is that stories write that taking into account context. Toriyama doesn't. He takes it for granted that fans have read the preceeding chapters. So while the stories may have been tied up, the characters aren't.

A shift in storytelling structure doesn't equal a stand alone series. The Pilaf arc isn't a standalone series. It's significantly different from what comes after, but it doesn't stand alone. It's the first arc in a serialized story.

THere are plenty of big time skips, but that doesn't mean they are qualified as stand alone arcs. All of the storylines in the Cell arc were wrapped up, but that doesn't make the Buu arc a stand alone series.

Other TV shows also do timeskips after they've wrapped up story arcs. Subsequent seasons aren't stand alones.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:56 pm

Dragon Ball is different from other battle series because there is no overarvhing goal. One arc ends and the entire series could end, especially in Super. I think that's where some of the sentiment comes from.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:04 pm

ABED wrote:No story would start with "you thought you were human, but you are really an alien!" There's no context for that revelation to land emotionally, nor is Piccolo's relationship to Goku.

The difference is that stories write that taking into account context. Toriyama doesn't. He takes it for granted that fans have read the preceeding chapters. So while the stories may have been tied up, the characters aren't.

There are plenty of big time skips, but that doesn't mean they are qualified as stand alone arcs. All of the storylines in the Cell arc were wrapped up, but that doesn't make the Buu arc a stand alone series.
In the first episode/chapter of Naruto we find out Naruto has a demon in him. His teacher says something like that, you thought you were a normal human ? you're a monster! there was no conext for that yet it worked.

Why do viewers have to see Goku's rivalry with Piccolo (which didn't last long at all) to understand it yet they can see other stories that start with rivalries already established ? In Naruto (I know I use it a lot) we find out early on that Kakashi has a rivalry with another teacher, mighty guy but we didn't see how it started and everything they went through but like with Naruto and the demon, it still worked.

Vegeta's story wasn't and you'd have had to see everything that came before to understand it.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:27 pm

The 23rd Budokai is a standalone story.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:38 pm

sintzu wrote:
ABED wrote:No story would start with "you thought you were human, but you are really an alien!" There's no context for that revelation to land emotionally, nor is Piccolo's relationship to Goku.

The difference is that stories write that taking into account context. Toriyama doesn't. He takes it for granted that fans have read the preceeding chapters. So while the stories may have been tied up, the characters aren't.

There are plenty of big time skips, but that doesn't mean they are qualified as stand alone arcs. All of the storylines in the Cell arc were wrapped up, but that doesn't make the Buu arc a stand alone series.
In the first episode/chapter of Naruto we find out Naruto has a demon in him. His teacher says something like that, you thought you were a normal human ? you're a monster! there was no conext for that yet it worked.

Why do viewers have to see Goku's rivalry with Piccolo (which didn't last long at all) to understand it yet they can see other stories that start with rivalries already established ? In Naruto (I know I use it a lot) we find out early on that Kakashi has a rivalry with another teacher, mighty guy but we didn't see how it started and everything they went through but like with Naruto and the demon, it still worked.

Vegeta's story wasn't and you'd have had to see everything that came before to understand it.
You do realize that Naruto began the way it did because that was what the author wanted, right? You weren't supposed to know any of those things as a first time reader/watcher because that's how the story was written from the start. Those pre-existing relationships and backstories worked because the whole point was that they would be explained at a later time, which they were. This Naruto comparison does not work at all.

Dragon Ball is different. Dragon Ball did not start with "Z." Toriyama never intended on people starting with "Z." There was no seperate "Z" manga. He expected people to understand and know all of these characters' backstories and relationships based off the previous arcs. The only reason the anime got a sequel was for marketing purposes. You can argue that Z can be watched on its own, but arguing that nothing suffers because of this is just plain wrong.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:39 pm

sintzu wrote: In the first episode/chapter of Naruto we find out Naruto has a demon in him. His teacher says something like that, you thought you were a normal human ? you're a monster! there was no conext for that yet it worked.

That's not the same thing. In Naruto those things are expanded on later and revealed as the series goes on. It's part of the mystery and world to discover. In the case of Goku and Piccolos rivalry, it was already on the tail end when Z starts. They say they're enemies and then just stop being enemies, it's not a history that gets fleshed out later because the history already happened back in the 23rd Budokai and Piccolo Diamo arc. Something you would know nothing about if you started with Z.

Same with goku being an alien. As someone that started with Z it took me years before I figured out why that was such a big deal in the story.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:18 pm

Just jump in at the Cell arc and read summaries for everything before.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:28 pm

Doctor. wrote:I also don't think it's much different from DB, it's different if you compare it to the first arc, but it's disingenuous to pretend the two Piccolo arcs are anything like the first arc of the series.
Or just as equally disingenuous to pretend that the two Piccolo arcs (and hell, even the Tenshinhan arc before them) are in any way at all dissimilar from the Saiya-jin arc.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:44 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:I also don't think it's much different from DB, it's different if you compare it to the first arc, but it's disingenuous to pretend the two Piccolo arcs are anything like the first arc of the series.
Or just as equally disingenuous to pretend that the two Piccolo arcs (and hell, even the Tenshinhan arc before them) are in any way at all dissimilar from the Saiya-jin arc.
Not sure if you're adding on to my point or you're arguing against it, but yes, I agree. I think the change(s) the series went through has always been a gradual thing, the series doesn't become something completely unrecognizable from one arc to the next (like it is almost unrecognizable if you compare for instance the Cell arc and the Pilaf arc).

As much as Toriyama wrote by the seat of his pants, he made a good job of making the series' evolution feel organic.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:52 pm

Why do viewers have to see Goku's rivalry with Piccolo (which didn't last long at all) to understand it yet they can see other stories that start with rivalries already established?
The purpose of a story isn't informational, it's emotional. What purpose does it serve to say Piccolo was Goku's arch enemy and not show it?
Yet somehow you don't have to have seen everything that came before with Piccolo? As for the Cell arc, it was wrapped up. When Goku died, Vegeta gave up fighting.

I can't speak to Naruto as I haven't seen it.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:06 pm

Doctor. wrote:Not sure if you're adding on to my point or you're arguing against it, but yes, I agree. I think the change(s) the series went through has always been a gradual thing, the series doesn't become something completely unrecognizable from one arc to the next (like it is almost unrecognizable if you compare for instance the Cell arc and the Pilaf arc).

As much as Toriyama wrote by the seat of his pants, he made a good job of making the series' evolution feel organic.
I was adding to your point, obviously. And yes, agreed 100% on all counts there.

The only thing that you said earlier that I do disagree with is the idea that DBZ can work as a standalone. I don't mean to say that it can't still HOOK people in and create new fans without the previous series. Obviously this isn't in question remotely. But a common theme in fandom since the series broke big in the U.S. on Cartoon Network all those years ago has been people having a heap ton of erroneous misconceptions about what the series actually is and is about.

A bunch of that is because of the dub, yes, but I'd argue that so many fans not only skipping the whole first half and starting in the middle, but even going so far as to never even bother backtracking to experience the first half for themselves even ALL these many years later to this day.... that has and cannot help but have a net negative effect on things, on how people see the series, and how they interact with other fans (some of whom HAVE actually bothered to see the other half). For that reason, among many others, I posit that DBZ is a really, really poor standalone story without DB to lend it much needed context and dramatic weight.

Why it is that so many U.S. fans (primarily) seem to remain so stubbornly disincentivized and disinterested in so much as giving original DB even an inkling of a chance (despite most of its second half comprising of almost literally everything they love about DBZ) is a phenomenon that's worthy of a whole topic unto itself.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.