Your favorite Funimation voices(Japanese fans jump in too!)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

samuraix123
I Live Here

Your favorite Funimation voices(Japanese fans jump in too!)

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:20 am

Hey guys! I never get on kanzenshuu much anymore or interact with the site because I take care of my grandfather who has Alzheimer's and that sucks up almost all of my time. But! I have been wanting to make a topic for a while so I figured, why not today! This question is geared towards everyone really, whether you're a fan of the Japanese only or the Funimation dub. I feel there are some serious talented voice actors at Funimation and I'm curious who your favorite actor(s) are?
One of my absolute favorite voice actors is Rick Robertson who voices Dabura. I could sit and listen to that guy speak evil all day haha I also think sean schemmel and chris sabat are very talent as well. they voice so many different characters and it's crazy to think chris voices piccolo,yamcha,vegeta, and kami and others that I'm not thinking of. so who are your favorite actors from funimation regardless of which dub it is.(old or new)
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Your favorite Funimation voices(Japanese fans jump in too!)

Post by TheBigBoy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:40 am

Chris Ayers's Freeza
Ocean dub Captain Ginyu
Scott McNeil's Piccolo

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:51 am

samuraix123 wrote:Hey guys! I never get on kanzenshuu much anymore or interact with the site because I take care of my grandfather who has Alzheimer's and that sucks up almost all of my time. But! I have been wanting to make a topic for a while so I figured, why not today! This question is geared towards everyone really, whether you're a fan of the Japanese only or the Funimation dub. I feel there are some serious talented voice actors at Funimation and I'm curious who your favorite actor(s) are?
One of my absolute favorite voice actors is Rick Robertson who voices Dabura. I could sit and listen to that guy speak evil all day haha I also think sean schemmel and chris sabat are very talent as well. they voice so many different characters and it's crazy to think chris voices piccolo,yamcha,vegeta, and kami and others that I'm not thinking of. so who are your favorite actors from funimation regardless of which dub it is.(old or new)
Robertson has an amazing voice even if it is filtered his Yomi is great as well, I wonder why he hasn't taken any more roles at Funi besides those two.

On topic Patrick Seitz is one of my favorites, he's a Funi regular that has'nt been in dragon ball yet but he really should have been Recoome in the Kai dub I'm sure he would have killed it.
Last edited by DragonBallKing on Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:52 am

I'm not exactly attached to the Funimation cast as I am to the Japanese cast, but I'll admit that there are a bunch of voices that I simply love.
Oh, Rick Robertson as Dabura. I could listen to this voice all day. It just oozes demonic. Simply an amazing voice, could never complain. Duncan Brannan as Babidi is simply delightful to listen to.

And there's Chris Rager, who was probably the best voice actor of the old Funimation in-house dub, who kicks ass as Mr. Satan. Really, he's so funny. Then we have Andrew Chandler as Cooler, who gives the best performance in any of the Funimation movie dubs.

Sean Schemmel went from terrible to amazing, and now completely owns the role of Goku, although he's still not as good as Nozawa.

Chris Ayres, oh, Chris Ayres. It's a blessing that we have this guy as Frieza. Finally, after 13 years, they finally got Frieza right in English! There's not a dull moment with this guy. The acting, the voice...it's just amazing. Thank god Sabat replaced Linda Young with this great voice actor. I sure hope he doesn't die. He's too great for it. And Dameon Clarke, one of the best voices of the old Funimation Z dub, is absolutely fantastic as Cell in Kai. While I prefer Wakamoto, what I like about Clarke is that he changes his voice when Cell changes. And we also have J. Michael Tatum as Zarbon, who does the normal and monster voices better than Sabat and Dobson.

And Jason Douglas as Beerus and Ian Sinclair as Whis. Just as entertaining as Yamadera and Morita. Kent Williams is also great as Tao Pai Pai and Dr. Gero.

And the Ocean guys are also great. Peter Kelamis, Ian James Corlett, Saffron Henderson, Scott McNeil, Brian Drummond, the Dobson brothers, Laara Sadiq, Ted Cole, Jason Grey-Stanford, Dale Wilson, Lisa Ann Beley, Richard Newman, Alec Willows, Don Brown, David Kaye, Terry Klassen, Cathy Weseluck, Ward Perry, Pauline Newstone, Brad Swaile, Kirby Morrow...all of these guys are so damn talented and some of the finest English-speaking voice actors.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:26 pm

Sean Schemmel's Goku

Chris Sabat's Vegeta

Chris ayres' Freeza
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:48 pm

Dameon Clarke's Cell
Sonny Strait's Krillin
Justin Cook's Super Buu
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Kaio_Krazy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kaio_Krazy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:06 pm

Not a popular opinion, but I don't really care, I think Clinkenbeard does a fantastic job as Gohan. I really like how she ages him up over the course of Kai.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:46 pm

From FUNimation

Rick Robertson as Dabura

Chris Rager as Mr.Satan

Chris Ayres alone made Kai Dub Worth watching because of his great Freeza Voice which was able to capture the same character of Original Version.

Michael Tatum as Zarbon

Jason Douglas as Beerus

Ian Sinclair as Whis

Kent Williams is also great Dr. Gero and Kaiōshin

Collen Clinkenbeard as Kid Gohan/Goku/#18

Chuck Huber as #17

Dameon Clark as Cell

From Ocean Dub

Peter Kelamis as Goku

Saffron Henderson as Kid Gohan

Scott McNeil as Piccolo

Brian Drummond as Vegeta

Laara Sadiq as ChiChi

David Kaye as Reacoom

Brad Swaile as Teen Gohan

From Bang Zoom Dub

Michael McConnohie as Kaiō

Kaiji Tang as Vegata

Ray Chase as Piccolo

Chris Hackney as Gohan

Wendee Lee as Bulma

Brian Beacock as Kuririn

Jamieson Price as Mr.Satan

Tamara Ryan as #18
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:05 pm

Reading through a lot of these makes me realize that I really do like (or at least don't mind) a lot of the Funimation voices...except for the core cast that was there at the start (Schemmel, Sabat and Strait in particular). Don't get me wrong, they've improved substantially over time (decades at this point) but I'd hardly consider them ideal takes on the characters.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:52 pm

I love pretty much all of the Funimation cast. They had a rough start but they have all gone on to become very skilled and highly respectable actors.

Some of my favourites are:

Sean Schemmel as Goku

Chris Sabat as Vegeta

Chris Ayres as Freeza

Chris Rager as Mr Satan

Coleen Clinkenbeard as kid Gohan

Doc Morgan as the narrator

Jason Douglas as Beerus

Ian Sinclair as Whis
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:02 pm

Chris Ayres as Freeza - The first time an English Freeza voice has truly been Freeza.
Sean Schemmel as Goku - The only VA for Funimation who was good from the beginning. And to this day, he's one of the best Gokus there is.
Mike McFarland as Roshi - It's very difficult to get the balance of the pervy, silly side of Roshi, but also have the heavy, intense side he can have, particularly during the Piccolo Daimao arc. Hats off to this guy.
Doc Morgan as the narrator - The only narrator to equal Doc Harris and Doc Morgan, the other two best DB narrators. Wait a minute... >_>

If we count the Saban and BLT Ocean dubs, then Peter Kelamis's Goku(The best English Goku), Richard Newman's Ginyu(He got the perfect mix of silly and menacing), Brian Drummond's Vegeta(Basically perfect), Scott McNeil's Piccolo(Actually perfect), Laara Sadiq(Also perfect), Saffron Henderson's Goku and Gohan(She really inhabited the two roles), Lalania Lindbjerg's Bulma... I could probably list basically everyone, to be honest, so I'll stop there.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:43 am

Chris Ayre's Freeza, goes without saying really, he's not only a phenomenal performer but one of their best casting decisions (that almost didn't happen).

I always give props to Sean Schemmel for his screams (although they can sound a little evil at times), overall he's been a good leading man in their dub, but not my personal favourite Goku.

Dameon Clarke's Future Gohan was another favourite of mine early on, the way he spoke often reminded me of Peter Kelamis Goku. One of the reasons I'm against a redub of the Trunks special is because they'd just get Kyle Hebert to voice him instead and I'm not a fan of his voice, that and Eric Vale's added raspiness from Kai onwards.

Doc Morgan as the narrator is a big improvement over monster truck announcers 1 & 2 and speaking of improvement; J Michael Tatum's Zarbon was much better than Sabat's version, Jason Douglas King Cold is a pretty good casting choice from Kai as well. I also like Colleen Clinkenbeard's Android 18.

Rick Robertson's Dabura is a good casting choice from the Z era as was Vic Mignogna's Broly.

Andrew Chandler's Cooler was good for its time, I still have a fondness for those two movie dubs especially. Nowadays I think Cooler could've been cast a little better to sound more villainous.

Chuck Huber's Pilaf is well cast and the performance is usually comedic enough. Mike McFarland's Roshi can be funny at times too, although I don't care for the overly frail tone he uses when speaking.

I'm sure there's a few I'm forgetting from RoF but so far these are the ones that I enjoyed the most from the Texas cast.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:49 am

I'll try and keep it short.

Schemmel's Goku. The definitive Goku for me. Even early on his voice was a natural fit for the character.

Sabat's Vegeta. Really does Vegeta's pride justice and also nails his calm and collected side.

Sabat's Piccolo for similar reasons to his Vegeta.

Nadolny's Gohan. I like Clinkenbeard too but she doesn't capture Gohan's happier side the way Nadolny has always done. And Nadolny is also great at Gohan's serious side too, especially during the Cell Games.

Heberts Gohan. Manages to sound intelligent, nervous, or confident depending on what the scene requires. Really solid voice all around.

Justin Cook's Super Buu. I haven't heard him in Kai yet but I always found his performance in Z to be really creepy and unnerving. And the voice filter he had in the original dub made him sound even more twisted.

Dale Kelly both as Captain Ginyu and the Narrator. Not many here will agree with this but I've always loved his work in Z. He makes Ginyu sound over the top and intimidating which is appropriate for the character. And he's my favourite narrator in anything Dragonball related, and probably any show in general. He brought a genuine passion to the role and I always got the impression he was enjoying the show as much as I was. And I'll admit to loving his corny lines.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:22 pm

Even though I stopped watching the dub a long time ago, I will always like Mr. Satan's voice. I feel that he was the best fitting actor in the original dubs. Obviously these days we also have great talents like Chris Ayres and whoever Beerus's and Whis's voice actors are, but Mr. Satan's actor has always fit the character and has only gotten better from what I've seen.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:45 pm

My favorite dub voice ever was Ian James Corlett as Goku. I always felt like Peter Kelamis did this weird surfer thing with his voice, but as far as sounding like the Japanese Goku, he came closest. Sean Schemmel? Eh. I'm so-so. He definitely got a lot better at it. I love Saffron Henderson and to this day don't think that there was a child character's voice that rivals her performance (whether it be Goku, Gohan, Goten, Trunks, any kid). I like Chris Rager for Satan -- he's great. I like Kyle Herbert. I like Scott McNeil. As for Brian Drummond, I like his voice, but I feel that it wouldn't work well for Vegeta throughout the series, and I don't like Sabat's Vegeta at all. I like Sabat's Piccolo, but I think his Yamucha (later incarnations) is the best because at least it doesn't sound like a cartoony voice. Other than that, nobody stands out to me. Sonny Straight as Burdock was okay, but he kind of grates my ears as Kuririn.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:58 pm

Chris Sabat's Piccolo
Stephanie Nadolny's Kid Goku and Kid Gohan
Mike McFarland's Roshi
Dameon Clarke's Cell and Future Gohan
All the Pilaf gang voices (Chuck Huber as Pilaf, Chris Cason as Shu, and Colleen Clinkenbeard as Mai)
Jason Douglas and Ian Sinclair as Beerus and Whis
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:50 pm

Sonny Strait's Krillin - An absolutely amazing take on the character that I feel nails all the greatest parts of the character, just as well as Tanaka, though in different ways.

Chris Ayres' Frieza - Absolutely. Amazing. I'm among the few who can still stomach my way through Linda Young's performance in the old dub, but there's no doubt in my mind which one I'd rather be hearing.

I'm sure there are others, but with everyone else it's hard for me to say if I just really like the characters, or if I really like the English performance separate from that in a way too.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:30 pm

Recoomes Ocean dub voice is awesome. But I like most funi voices just in generally.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:16 pm

It'll probably be easier to list the voices I don't like!

Anyway top 5:

Ayres as Freeza. His performance in Resurrection "F" was phenomenal. Utterly terrifying whilst simultaneously humorous! Love it.

Schemmel as Goku. Boy what an improvement SS and SS3 transformations show he is able to control his screams now and isn't screaming just like that, serious his SS3 in Kai blows away Z. He's able to go as high as Nozawa heck even higher now when needed, case in point his whaaaaaaaa in DBS #18. Oh and that phenomenal monologue in DBS #11.
He is the definitive English counter part to Nozawa now no question.

Rages as Satan. Boyyyyyy what a casting absolutely hilarious! :lol: Nothing needed to be said more.

Ian Sinclair and Douglas as Whis and Beerus. Utterly brilliant casting, Super is really bringing the best out of them!

Sabat as Vegeta and Pics- Great improvement , neither voices sound forced now thus when Vegeta is bantering it sounds so much better.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:24 pm

Kaio_Krazy wrote:Not a popular opinion, but I don't really care, I think Clinkenbeard does a fantastic job as Gohan. I really like how she ages him up over the course of Kai.
The opinion on her is mostly positive from what I've seen on this site, the reception of her is pretty negative everywhere else you go.

I for one love her Gohan and 18.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu