Why isn't Schemmel in other Funi dubs besides dragon ball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallKing
Regular

Why isn't Schemmel in other Funi dubs besides dragon ball

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:05 pm

He did some work for 4kids and played a character in berserk 97 but he is'nt a regular at Funi like Sabat, is there a reason for this?
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Why isn't Schemmel in other Funi dubs besides dragon ball

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:20 pm

He doesn't live in Texas. It would cost FUNi too much to fly him over constantly, I know with Super we found out that Sabat sometimes fly over to Schemmel, but Sean is on a single project and I am sure they time it when Sabat is free too but if he was on multiple FUNi projects then logistically that is a problem. Same reason why we don't hear much of Kyle Hebert too.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:39 pm

He was in Yu Yu Hakusho for one episode in the dark tournament saga but I forgot what character he played.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:04 pm

Being Goku is a full time job, baby!

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:43 pm

Schemmel lives in Los Angeles, so he records his lines there. He also does some work for NYAV Post (who dubbed Gundam Unicorn and Berserk). For a talented guy, Schemmel isn't used that much.
Last edited by 8000 Saiyan on Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:54 pm

Now that Super is a regular ongoing series, how do they get Schemmel to voice Goku on a weekly basis? I know some eps are dubbed days/months apart, but before this he only ocassionally flew down to voice Goku in the videogames or Kai, but now Super is an ongoing thing for the forseeable future.

How do they do it?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:19 am

precita wrote:Now that Super is a regular ongoing series, how do they get Schemmel to voice Goku on a weekly basis ?
They probably get a lot of episodes ahead of time and just do his lines before or after everyone else. Super just aired its 23rd episode on Toonami while Japan already has 97 so they probably at least have up to 50 to work with.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ChibiGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChibiGoku » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:36 am

sintzu wrote:
precita wrote:Now that Super is a regular ongoing series, how do they get Schemmel to voice Goku on a weekly basis ?
They probably get a lot of episodes ahead of time and just do his lines before or after everyone else. Super just aired its 23rd episode on Toonami while Japan already has 97 so they probably at least have up to 50 to work with.
Actually, they use a local recording studio in LA now, which is where Sean Schemmel and Kyle Hebert (as well as any other people living in LA) record for the character for Super. In the past, they did used to fly Sean Schemmel and Kyle Hebert out, but recent years, they usually just have them record locally in LA. Sometimes at Todd's studio, other times at this other studio.

Curiously enough, they're using the same studio that Laura Bailey uses for her non-Anime recording, which I suspect may have been the reason FUNimation originally went with the studio (prior to Laura Bailey not reprising the role, due to other obligations and couldn't risk damaging her vocal cords).

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:45 am

precita wrote:Now that Super is a regular ongoing series, how do they get Schemmel to voice Goku on a weekly basis? I know some eps are dubbed days/months apart, but before this he only ocassionally flew down to voice Goku in the videogames or Kai, but now Super is an ongoing thing for the forseeable future.

How do they do it?
They had at least half year buffer between when they started dubbing and when it aired, U6 arc should be done by now and they should be well into the Black arc.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:21 pm

Until I know Schemmel dubbed some stuff for FUNi before, like One Piece and Fullmetal Alchemist, but yeah, he is not regular in Funi dubs as Chris Sabat, Ian Sinclair, Jason Douglas and many others.

His MAL profile have a lot of his roles, and a part of them is from Funi dubs: https://myanimelist.net/people/1000/Sean_Schemmel

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:29 pm

ChibiGoku wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Actually, they use a local recording studio in LA now, which is where Sean Schemmel and Kyle Hebert (as well as any other people living in LA) record for the character for Super. In the past, they did used to fly Sean Schemmel and Kyle Hebert out, but recent years, they usually just have them record locally in LA. Sometimes at Todd's studio, other times at this other studio.

Curiously enough, they're using the same studio that Laura Bailey uses for her non-Anime recording, which I suspect may have been the reason FUNimation originally went with the studio (prior to Laura Bailey not reprising the role, due to other obligations and couldn't risk damaging her vocal cords).
I asked Kyle this question and he basically told me the same thing. They direct him over Skype and he acted like it wasn't really a difficult thing at all to record the lines in L.A.