2 questions regarding purchasing dragon ball and Z

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallKing
Regular

2 questions regarding purchasing dragon ball and Z

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:08 pm

1. Are the blue bricks my only option for dragon ball, I've looked everywhere and can't find anything else.

2. I can't afford dragon boxes so are the blu rays as bad as they say?
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: 2 questions regarding purchasing dragon ball and Z

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:41 pm

The blue bricks are the only consistent (1-153) product FUNimation has ever released for the original Dragon Ball TV series, and on DVD it's only the second product line overall anyway. The previous line was a series of two-disc sets, but these did not include the first 13 episodes due to outstanding sublicenses with Kidmark at the time (though Australia got these episodes uncut/bilingual in that same product line). We have all of these products outlined in our home video guide.

The "bad as they say" with the Dragon Ball Z TV series Blu-rays is up to the individual fan. Personally, a cropped picture is a deal-breaker before we even get started with the rest of the presentation. The video cleanup is certainly "better" (read: less aggressive) than the orange bricks (DVD season sets) were, but it's still worthy of criticism.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:07 pm

I won't add anything to what VegettoEX said about DB but another issue with the Blu-Rays is that in Season 5 on 1 or 2 of the discs, half the picture gets really blurry for some unknown reason.

Currently the best option to own Z in English or in America is Kai.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:12 pm

Unfortunately, there's no good, practical way to own Dragon Ball Z in English unless you're getting the Orange Bricks or the Blu-rays, both of which are absolutely horrid in the video quality department. If you don't care about that kind of thing, it won't be a huge deal for you. If picture quality is a big deal, you're left with the unfortunate predicament on whether to go with Kai, or pay a small fortune off the 2nd-hand market for an older, better release.

As for Dragon Ball, the Blue Bricks are perfectly serviceable. There's no need to seek out other releases, though they are out there.
Retired.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:20 pm

The Blu-rays or orange bricks are really up to you. The cropped picture is not great, but it fits modern TVs pretty nicely. I personally have no problem with the colors or the removal of grain, but a lot of people who are much more knowledgeable than I am regarding video quality, would say that it makes the release pretty bad to look at.

So with Z, you can go down the route of getting single releases, though you'd have to improvise about the end of the "Vegeta" and "Namek Sagas."

If money is really tight, there is another option that will be entirely up to you. Funimation Now is like $50 a year (if I recall correctly) and uses blue brick footage for Dragon Ball and the blu-rays for Z. Though the quality will never be as great as a physical copy because it is streaming, that's probably the absolute cheapest way to have legal access to the series.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:22 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Unfortunately, there's no good, practical way to own Dragon Ball Z in English.
Which is really surprising considaring how big the Z is for the company and in America. You'd think after all these years they would've gotten it right by now.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:24 pm

sintzu wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Unfortunately, there's no good, practical way to own Dragon Ball Z in English.
Which is really surprising considaring how big the Z is for the company and in America. You'd think after all these years they would've gotten it right by now.
Actually, Funimation did recently replace some of their streaming footage with a 4:3 version (not sure if it's still up, though). Who knows? Maybe they're planning something.
Retired.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:31 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:The Blu-rays or orange bricks are really up to you. The cropped picture is not great, but it fits modern TVs pretty nicely. I personally have no problem with the colors or the removal of grain, but a lot of people who are much more knowledgeable than I am regarding video quality, would say that it makes the release pretty bad to look at.

So with Z, you can go down the route of getting single releases, though you'd have to improvise about the end of the "Vegeta" and "Namek Sagas."

If money is really tight, there is another option that will be entirely up to you. Funimation Now is like $50 a year (if I recall correctly) and uses blue brick footage for Dragon Ball and the blu-rays for Z. Though the quality will never be as great as a physical copy because it is streaming, that's probably the absolute cheapest way to have legal access to the series.
Actually, FUNimationNow has the Orange Brick footage. When FUNimation first made the Orange Bricks, they made 1080p HD Scans which is the footage that is on FUNiNow and formerly Hulu.
Another pro for FUNimationNow is that the OG Dragon Ball movies 1-4 are in HD, even though they are not on Blu-ray.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:46 pm

Unless you want the Japanese title cards you can't go wrong with the blue bricks. If you just want a release that gets the job done, offers the dub and sub in respectable audio and video quality, they are worth it.

Z is a tad more difficult, although if you can't afford the Dragon Boxes (which while certainly a great release, the value of the price tag is debatable) and aren't interested in Kai I'd say just get the Blu-Rays. They're not perfect, but they are the best cost effective way to own the series and the remastering and cropping (for the most part) is no where near as bad as the orange bricks.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:51 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Z is a tad more difficult, although if you can't afford the Dragon Boxes (which while certainly a great release, the value of the price tag is debatable) and aren't interested in Kai I'd say just get the Blu-Rays. They're not perfect, but... the remastering... (for the most part) is nowhere near as bad as the orange bricks.
I'd dispute that. They suffer almost all of the same issues to some degree. The texture is actually far worse in the Blu-ray version.
Retired.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:19 pm

One thing you could do for Z is to get whatever release you can for the first 67 at least(Perhaps the Levels for 1-34, then the orange bricks for 35-67. Or the Ultimate Uncuts for 1-27, and the bricks for 28-67, or just the bricks for 1-67), then start getting the original DVD singles for the series starting from episode 68. You get a 4:3 picture, better colours than the DBoxes, and for the dub, you don't have to worry about all the inconsistent and jarring overdubbing that ended up cutting out most of the vocal filters.

As for the original series, the blue bricks are fine. Singles look a little better, and have the Japanese title cards, but they'll probably cost you more.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I'd dispute that. They suffer almost all of the same issues to some degree. The texture is actually far worse in the Blu-ray version.
I agree 100%. The orange bricks and the BDs suffer from blurriness, oversharpening, poor cropping, and a general disrespect for the film sources. However, despite the BDs being less blurry, and the cropping being handled better, the oversharpening is worse, there's even less respect for the original film source, and overall, it basically looks like a pretty crappy animated GIF. At least the orange bricks maintained some of the film texture.

But, let's not turn this into another OB vs BD debate. They're both terrible, this discussion has been played out a million times over, and everyone has either already made up their mind, or can look back at those older threads and draw their own conclusions.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:06 am

simtek34 wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:The Blu-rays or orange bricks are really up to you. The cropped picture is not great, but it fits modern TVs pretty nicely. I personally have no problem with the colors or the removal of grain, but a lot of people who are much more knowledgeable than I am regarding video quality, would say that it makes the release pretty bad to look at.

Actually, FUNimationNow has the Orange Brick footage. When FUNimation first made the Orange Bricks, they made 1080p HD Scans which is the footage that is on FUNiNow and formerly Hulu.
Another pro for FUNimationNow is that the OG Dragon Ball movies 1-4 are in HD, even though they are not on Blu-ray.
Oh really? I feel like the quality that they have up there is a lot better looking than what they used to have on Hulu and even before on FunimationNow. Hm. Well, either way, I really support this. It's so cheap, it's a great way to legally have access to all of Dragon Ball (including Super), as well as the rest of their fantastic library.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:32 am

I'm probably one of the few fans that don't mind the orange bricks. They are affordable and the cropped picture never really bugged me. Although if you don't own them though, I do recommend getting the Kai sets though since they have a better quality dub on them.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:00 pm

From what I hear, FunimationNow are starting to replace some episodes of Z with Dragon Box footage, so if they carry this through the whole run, that will end up being the best option.

As for Kai, yeah it is the easest/best way to just watch the Z portion of the story at the moment. And it has the bonus of the dub being a lot better, and the Japanese track having better sound quality(And slightly better subs).
Plus, it's a lot simpler to tell someone to grab the seasons sets of Dragon Ball, then the season/part sets of Kai and Super than it is to have to explain the problems with the two season sets of Z, the expense of the Dragon Boxes, the fact the Rock The Dragon set is the censored Saban dub, and the incomplete nature of the Levels and UUs, and to a certain extent the original DVD singles...
It's quite a mess.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

tellyzbad1
Banned Alternate Account

Post by tellyzbad1 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:19 pm

I'm surprised people consider the "cleanup" process in the season Blu-rays to be better and less aggressive than the Orange Bricks. The footage is indeed cleaner in the blu-rays...but less aggressive? Not sure if I can agree on that.

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:03 am

Robo4900 wrote:From what I hear, FunimationNow are starting to replace some episodes of Z with Dragon Box footage, so if they carry this through the whole run, that will end up being the best option.

As for Kai, yeah it is the easest/best way to just watch the Z portion of the story at the moment. And it has the bonus of the dub being a lot better, and the Japanese track having better sound quality(And slightly better subs).
Plus, it's a lot simpler to tell someone to grab the seasons sets of Dragon Ball, then the season/part sets of Kai and Super than it is to have to explain the problems with the two season sets of Z, the expense of the Dragon Boxes, the fact the Rock The Dragon set is the censored Saban dub, and the incomplete nature of the Levels and UUs, and to a certain extent the original DVD singles...
It's quite a mess.
But even Kai is still kind of a mess because you can buy the Parts or the Season Sets if you want Yamamoto or Kikuchi for the Saiyan and Freeza Saga. I agree that it is still less of a mess than Z, but a lot of people still care about the musical score.
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:33 am

tellyzbad1 wrote:I'm surprised people consider the "cleanup" process in the season Blu-rays to be better and less aggressive than the Orange Bricks. The footage is indeed cleaner in the blu-rays...but less aggressive? Not sure if I can agree on that.
Yeah. There are more filters, and while the lines don't disappear, there are odd remnants of grain throughout the images, and sometimes more details in the backgrounds are wiped out. I remember a comparison of the "season 2" releases, and the Blu-rays were even blurrier and had more fine detail scrubbed. Also, where the colors in the Season 3 DVD had colors that pretty closely resembled the Dragon Boxes with just a little too much contrast, the Blu-ray has a really strong color tint (sometimes green, but usually extremely purple).

Overall, I'd put them on relatively even levels, where the DVDs have missing lines, a center crop and sometimes overly blurry image (the blurriness is toned down after "season 2"), the Blu-rays have more filters, weird artifacts, and sometimes counter-intuitively framed shots.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

ecrockedboston
Beyond Newbie

Post by ecrockedboston » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:24 am

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:I'm probably one of the few fans that don't mind the orange bricks. They are affordable and the cropped picture never really bugged me. Although if you don't own them though, I do recommend getting the Kai sets though since they have a better quality dub on them.
I have great affinity for the orange bricks. They kept me company when I got my first apartment 8 years ago when I realized that I maybe wasn't mature enough to go out on my own. They not only got me back into the series for the first time since '01, they got me through some really lonely times.
One who consciously devises memes, through meme-splicing and memetic synthesis, with the intent of altering the behavior of others. Writers of manifestos and of commercials are typical memetic engineers.
-Memetic Lexicon

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:25 am

ecrockedboston wrote:
GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:I'm probably one of the few fans that don't mind the orange bricks. They are affordable and the cropped picture never really bugged me. Although if you don't own them though, I do recommend getting the Kai sets though since they have a better quality dub on them.
I have great affinity for the orange bricks. They kept me company when I got my first apartment 8 years ago when I realized that I maybe wasn't mature enough to go out on my own. They not only got me back into the series for the first time since '01, they got me through some really lonely times.
Codependency is a bad thing. :lol:
Retired.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:37 am

ecrockedboston wrote:
Ahhhhhh its nice to see another kindred spirit of the orange bricks :) I am glad to hear they helped you out.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy