Who really is the definitive Son Goku?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Re: Who really is the definitive Son Goku?

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:28 pm

MR.Mark wrote:It is true though, every other version has been an adaption of that material.
Right but Toriyama specifically had much involvement in that adaptation. He thought "that could only be what Goku sounds like" hearing Nozawa's take.
huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Hayter is mistreated as a dub voice actor? Since when? I didn't know he was mistreated. Same thing with Schemmel. Are they mistreated because they're not Otsuka and Nozawa?
That's such a non-sequitur lol.

I think when MGS & DBZ make dozens of millions on dub-primary/only releases, & the dub VAs dont see a cent besides a small (less so in Hayter's case) session fee, that's pretty bad. Hayter & especially Schemmel have spoken about it too.

I'm not certain, but I do believe Japanese VAs make royalties off dub releases. IIRC the JP game industry overall, dubs or not, has a leg up over SAG in terms of paying royalties for game VA's.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:45 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Hayter is mistreated as a dub voice actor? Since when? I didn't know he was mistreated. Same thing with Schemmel. Are they mistreated because they're not Otsuka and Nozawa?
That's such a non-sequitur lol.

I think when MGS & DBZ make dozens of millions on dub-primary/only releases, & the dub VAs dont see a cent besides a small (less so in Hayter's case) session fee, that's pretty bad. Hayter & especially Schemmel have spoken about it too.

I'm not certain, but I do believe Japanese VAs make royalties off dub releases. IIRC the JP game industry overall, dubs or not, has a leg up over SAG in terms of paying royalties for game VA's.
Anime isn't very popular, so maybe that's the reason why the voice actors don't get paid much, I presume? Or am I wrong?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:59 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:It is true though, every other version has been an adaption of that material.
Right but Toriyama specifically had much involvement in that adaptation. He thought "that could only be what Goku sounds like" hearing Nozawa's take.
I'm curious though if Toriyama also had a say in keeping Nozawa into adulthood or if that was Toie's doing.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:52 pm

MR.Mark wrote:
huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
I'm curious though if Toriyama also had a say in keeping Nozawa into adulthood or if that was Toie's doing.
I remember hearing in an interview after the manga ended, Toriyama said still to this day he can't separate Nozawa from Goku. I also remember hearing that Nozawa had to try out for Goku again when she changed her voice from kid to adult goku.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:24 pm

This should shed some light on the situation of Nozawa staying on as adult Goku. Not a lot of detail in there, but it's Nozawa herself explaining it, so you'd be hard-pressed to find a better source.
(They also talked a little about it earlier in the video, around 4:43)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:47 pm

Don't get me wrong, I love Nozawa, and it was quite obvious she aged up her Goku. Infact she can sound downright intimidating at times, for example her power up when showing off to Tarble. Yet at the same time, while Nowzawa works fairly well, IMO her style just can't be emulated in English. My examples being Peter's Goku, sure his screams were Nozawa like, but his speaking voice was just odd at times, I guess it was just his inflections. Then there's the Abridged Goku, that works great as a parody, but for a serious dub? I'm sorry but if there was any evidence that you can go TOO high pitch for adult Goku in English, it's team four star. Sean's Goku stirkes a nice balance and is capable of sounding high pitch when needed without sounding cartoony or like he's on helium.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:12 pm

Doctor. wrote:It's obviously Henrique Feist. Duh.

But in all seriousness, it's clearly Nozawa. Toriyama's opinion of her should be enough to cement her as the "definitive" Goku.
I know you're joking but I really love Feist in his A-game. Some of his perfomances in Super, the movies and GT are what I instantly hear when I think of Goku.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:32 am

For me it is definitely Masako Nozawa, and Peter Kelamis was the Goku of my childhood no matter how shortlived his role may have been.

I did like Sean Schemmel as Goku as a kid, and he is tolerable at least, but he's one of those people whose personality in real life puts me off their performance, even if it is a good one (which I don't personally think it is.) As for the other Goku's I can't say I've listened to them long enough to get used to any of them, it would just be Nozawa for me.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:26 am

Sin wrote:For me it is definitely Masako Nozawa, and Peter Kelamis was the Goku of my childhood no matter how shortlived his role may have been.

I did like Sean Schemmel as Goku as a kid, and he is tolerable at least, but he's one of those people whose personality in real life puts me off their performance, even if it is a good one (which I don't personally think it is.) As for the other Goku's I can't say I've listened to them long enough to get used to any of them, it would just be Nozawa for me.
What's wrong with Schemmel as a person? He seems like a nice guy to me.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:10 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Sin wrote:For me it is definitely Masako Nozawa, and Peter Kelamis was the Goku of my childhood no matter how shortlived his role may have been.

Yeah I am a bit confused by the statement as well, even if Schemmel was the douchiest person ever you separate the art from the artist. Granted Schemmel doesn't handle somethings in the best of light overall like you said he seems pretty nice, take the recent DB Panel at AX yesterday he was going crazy after everything Horikawa was saying clapping etc, I was thinking to myself dude calm down lol. There was a panel with Nozawa and he was basically acting like an awestruck kid meeting his idol! Seems a pretty chill guy.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:45 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Yeah I am a bit confused by the statement as well, even if Schemmel was the douchiest person ever you separate the art from the artist. Granted Schemmel doesn't handle somethings in the best of light overall like you said he seems pretty nice, take the recent DB Panel at AX yesterday he was going crazy after everything Horikawa was saying clapping etc, I was thinking to myself dude calm down lol. There was a panel with Nozawa and he was basically acting like an awestruck kid meeting his idol! Seems a pretty chill guy.
There's a real beauty to a man who's that passionate...but a man's greatest strengths can easily become their greatest weaknesses in some situations. For example; when a certain Penquin guy starts laying into you more than he should? I personally really like Sean Schemmel...but I can see why others might be put off by him.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:21 pm

Fionordequester wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Yeah I am a bit confused by the statement as well, even if Schemmel was the douchiest person ever you separate the art from the artist. Granted Schemmel doesn't handle somethings in the best of light overall like you said he seems pretty nice, take the recent DB Panel at AX yesterday he was going crazy after everything Horikawa was saying clapping etc, I was thinking to myself dude calm down lol. There was a panel with Nozawa and he was basically acting like an awestruck kid meeting his idol! Seems a pretty chill guy.
There's a real beauty to a man who's that passionate...but a man's greatest strengths can easily become their greatest weaknesses in some situations. For example; when a certain Penquin guy starts laying into you more than he should? I personally really like Sean Schemmel...but I can see why others might be put off by him.
I was actually really surprised at how Schemmel acts around the Japanese cast from the panels I have seen, Sabat for example acts to them how he does his colleges pretty normal but Schemmel acts like how some of us would if we sat next to them! for example his reaction to Nozawa doing a Goku voice IRL is pretty brilliant!
I think the problem with Schemmel is he sometimes acts/says things first without thinking, but for the most part I think he means well. For eg, Lex Lang VA for Goku in the SEA dub for DBS said on here that Schemmel gave him kind words of encouragement.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:54 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Fionordequester wrote:
I was actually really surprised at how Schemmel acts around the Japanese cast from the panels I have seen, Sabat for example acts to them how he does his colleges pretty normal but Schemmel acts like how some of us would if we sat next to them! for example his reaction to Nozawa doing a Goku voice IRL is pretty brilliant!
I think the problem with Schemmel is he sometimes acts/says things first without thinking, but for the most part I think he means well. For eg, Lex Lang VA for Goku in the SEA dub for DBS said on here that Schemmel gave him kind words of encouragement.
And he also has his bad days. I mean, we all have bad days.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:09 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:

Yeah I am a bit confused by the statement as well, even if Schemmel was the douchiest person ever you separate the art from the artist. Granted Schemmel doesn't handle somethings in the best of light overall like you said he seems pretty nice, take the recent DB Panel at AX yesterday he was going crazy after everything Horikawa was saying clapping etc, I was thinking to myself dude calm down lol. There was a panel with Nozawa and he was basically acting like an awestruck kid meeting his idol! Seems a pretty chill guy.
Well like I said I don't make that disconnect, I can't make it. Maybe that makes me a lesser fan or someone who can't appreciate art individually, but if I don't like an actor I can't find it in me to create any kind of unbiased judgement on their performance. If Justin Bieber composed the next Symphony No. 9 I still wouldn't buy the MP3.

I don't want to go into why I don't like Sean as a person as it will derail the thread and I don't think it will lead anywhere. But like I say that's just MY reasoning for not having Sean in scope of being any kind of definitive Son Goku. It has little to do with the penguintruth argument, I wasn't fully aware of that until I had read this thread.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:27 am

It's a matter of degree. Some actors I can make the disconnect, other actors are too much for me to take if my issues are far greater. I don't agree with most of Hollywood's politics, but I still see movies they are in. However, some actors are so awful, I don't care how good they are, I refuse to watch anything they are in, like Sean Penn.

Sean Schemmel may grate on your nerves personally, but he's not Penn. Hell, he's nowhere near Beiber.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:31 am

What did Sean Penn do?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:31 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:What did Sean Penn do?
He's friends with a dictator or was, since Chavez died a few years ago.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:37 am

ABED wrote:It's a matter of degree. Some actors I can make the disconnect, other actors are too much for me to take if my issues are far greater. I don't agree with most of Hollywood's politics, but I still see movies they are in. However, some actors are so awful, I don't care how good they are, I refuse to watch anything they are in, like Sean Penn.

Sean Schemmel may grate on your nerves personally, but he's not Penn. Hell, he's nowhere near Beiber.
Penn has no sense of subtlety as an actor. He even sucks in Mystic River.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:41 am

ABED wrote:It's a matter of degree. Some actors I can make the disconnect, other actors are too much for me to take if my issues are far greater. I don't agree with most of Hollywood's politics, but I still see movies they are in. However, some actors are so awful, I don't care how good they are, I refuse to watch anything they are in, like Sean Penn.

I can agree, I think it depends on how petty you are, and I think I must be quite petty. It's not the the point that I would actively not watch the dub because of him or play video games in English, but it certainly affects whether or not he is the definitive Son Goku in my eyes.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:43 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:

Penn has no sense of subtlety as an actor. He even sucks in Mystic River.
Which is why I loved when they riffed on that in an episode of Psych. Anyway, I can see where not everyone would care for Schemmel's personality, but at worst he's a tad annoying and that wouldn't prevent me from watching anything he's in.
I can agree, I think it depends on how petty you are, and I think I must be quite petty. It's not the the point that I would actively not watch the dub because of him or play video games in English, but it certainly affects whether or not he is the definitive Son Goku in my eyes.
Fair enough.