Who really is the definitive Son Goku?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Who really is the definitive Son Goku?

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:29 pm

ABED wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
ABED wrote:It's a matter of degree. Some actors I can make the disconnect, other actors are too much for me to take if my issues are far greater. I don't agree with most of Hollywood's politics, but I still see movies they are in. However, some actors are so awful, I don't care how good they are, I refuse to watch anything they are in, like Sean Penn.

Sean Schemmel may grate on your nerves personally, but he's not Penn. Hell, he's nowhere near Beiber.
Penn has no sense of subtlety as an actor. He even sucks in Mystic River.
Which is why I loved when they riffed on that in an episode of Psych. Anyway, I can see where not everyone would care for Schemmel's personality, but at worst he's a tad annoying and that wouldn't prevent me from watching anything he's in.
I can agree, I think it depends on how petty you are, and I think I must be quite petty. It's not the the point that I would actively not watch the dub because of him or play video games in English, but it certainly affects whether or not he is the definitive Son Goku in my eyes.
Fair enough.
They did that on Psych? That's pretty cool.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:37 pm

It's in the episode "Shawn and Gus Truck Things Up".

"Is that the last of the secret taco sauce in there?!"

Sean is my favorite English speaking Goku and it's clear that he's not phoning it in, but he's not the definitive. Even if we limited it to only the official English speaking Goku's, he's not the definitive one. Nozawa is and will always be the best, not simply because she was first. Sean has probably said the same thing.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:01 pm

ABED wrote:It's in the episode "Shawn and Gus Truck Things Up".

Sean is my favorite English speaking Goku and it's clear that he's not phoning it in, but he's not the definitive. Even if we limited it to only the official English speaking Goku's, he's not the definitive one. Nozawa is and will always be the best, not simply because she was first. Sean has probably said the same thing.
I don't think he has phoned it in since Season 3. He clearly got better during the old dub. Now an example of someone clearly phoning it in is Kevin Conroy.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:10 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:

I don't think he has phoned it in since Season 3. He clearly got better during the old dub. Now an example of someone clearly phoning it in is Kevin Conroy.
I don't think that's fair to say about Conroy. He's a professional and delivers a good performance each time.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:12 pm

ABED wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:

I don't think that's fair to say about Conroy. He's a professional and delivers a good performance each time.
Here's the thing. He's my favorite Batman voice and he was great in the DCAU, but he's phoning it in as of late IMO. In the animated Killing Joke, he and Mark Hamill weren't giving their best. I wouldn't recommend the movie if you haven't seen it. Tara Strong outperformed them both in that movie.

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:22 pm

I'm leaning towards Nozawa-san for reasons I'm unsure of. :p

Rather than give a lengthy explanation (this shouldn't need explanation as who definitive Son Goku is), I will point anyone to DBZ #96 "An Explosion of Anger!! Goku, Avenge Everyone's Deaths". Specifically in the delivery of the line: "I am furious with you, FREEZA!!".

It may not seem like much, but here, Goku has just experienced several spirit-breaking events within a short-time battling Freeza, and then undergoes a transformation that slightly affects his personality on top of that. Even though the animation/visuals showed great expression of anger, Nozawa's delivery is that of a Son Goku who is trying to express fury, but is too choked up and still hasn't recovered from recent shocks to his system. It's a great example of in-character continuity following the previous weeks landmark episode, and thus, she embodied everything that Goku was feeling at that moment.

... :( *misty eyes*

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:23 pm

The definitive Gokuu will always be Nozawa, there's never gonna be any (legitimate) dispute there. She's been there since day 1 of the anime, and is pretty much a direct translation of the character in the manga.
Schemmel just doesn't capture the character, never has. He's come close and has started to get it in recent years, but it's taken him a decade and a half to just kinda get it.
Nozawa's more recent performances (bar Black) have been sub-par however, but it's for reasons outside of her control, can't really control age. This doesn't have any effect on the 'definitive' argument however, as prime Dragon Ball/Z Nozawa is just incredible to behold every time.

If we step outside of definitive however, and go towards 'favourite', I'd say Kelamis. Adore him in the first few movies and think he's the only official English VA to just sorta get Gokuu right off the bat. His delivery was always on-point and he even had that classic kung-fu cry when he was fight (helped by the fact that his pitch matched Nozawas, while still being obviously male). Adored him, shame his performance in the Ocean dub post-Namek was rushed and not up to scratch (again, not his fault, that was clearly a production thing).

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:17 am

IMO I don't get the hype of Kelamis, other than the screams, he spoke with some unidentifiable speech inflection like some less awesome Christopher Walken.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:35 am

Black ink.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:48 am

MR.Mark wrote:IMO I don't get the hype of Kelamis, other than the screams, he spoke with some unidentifiable speech inflection like some less awesome Christopher Walken.
I felt like he sounded like a surfer, to be honest. I wasn't a fan of Peter Kelamis at all. My favorite English Goku is Ian James Corlett from line delivery to the natural-sounding voice; he could sound innocent, he can sound mad, he can sound heroic, he can scream, he can do whatever. I was a huge fan of his and his run on DBZ was way too short-lived in my opinion. I also like the actor who replaced Peter Kelamis in the Westwood dub later on. I don't know why people like Kelamis so much. Maybe because his "Kaio-ken" in "The World's Strongest" sounded like Nozawa's... I don't know lol

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:08 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:IMO I don't get the hype of Kelamis, other than the screams, he spoke with some unidentifiable speech inflection like some less awesome Christopher Walken.
I felt like he sounded like a surfer, to be honest. I wasn't a fan of Peter Kelamis at all. My favorite English Goku is Ian James Corlett from line delivery to the natural-sounding voice; he could sound innocent, he can sound mad, he can sound heroic, he can scream, he can do whatever. I was a huge fan of his and his run on DBZ was way too short-lived in my opinion. I also like the actor who replaced Peter Kelamis in the Westwood dub later on. I don't know why people like Kelamis so much. Maybe because his "Kaio-ken" in "The World's Strongest" sounded like Nozawa's... I don't know lol
The guy who replaced Kelamis is Kirby Morrow.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:26 pm

Yes. Kirby Morrow. I find his work to be pretty good and I've heard him doing a good job as Goku... despite the horrendous direction that was given to the Ocean cast when doing the later dub of DBZ for the U.K. and Canada. I find that Morrow is a great successor to Ian James Corlett, while Peter Kelamis didn't really fit the mold in between. Kelamis is talented, but I just never liked him for Goku really. Even though I haven't really experienced a lot of DBZ with Kirby Morrow, I can tell by his delivery and other roles that I'd place him higher on the list than Sean Schemmel. I don't know, I just really don't like Sean Schemmel's Goku. I think he comes off as a great guy, I'm sure he's a great person, but just don't like him in that role of Goku. But oh well, I guess it could be worse. Though you want to talk "definitive," of course it would be Nozawa.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:26 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Yes. Kirby Morrow. I find his work to be pretty good and I've heard him doing a good job as Goku... despite the horrendous direction that was given to the Ocean cast when doing the later dub of DBZ for the U.K. and Canada. I find that Morrow is a great successor to Ian James Corlett, while Peter Kelamis didn't really fit the mold in between. Kelamis is talented, but I just never liked him for Goku really. Even though I haven't really experienced a lot of DBZ with Kirby Morrow, I can tell by his delivery and other roles that I'd place him higher on the list than Sean Schemmel. I don't know, I just really don't like Sean Schemmel's Goku. I think he comes off as a great guy, I'm sure he's a great person, but just don't like him in that role of Goku. But oh well, I guess it could be worse. Though you want to talk "definitive," of course it would be Nozawa.
I think Morrow would have been a better Trunks than Goku. Corlett was good, but I think he could have done much better if he had used his Cheetor voice.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:34 pm

I was just ranking the English-speaking Goku roles. I think Ian James Corlett takes it followed by Kirby morrow followed by Sean Schemmel followed by Ian James Corlett. I feel that I have to separate the English-speaking Gokus because otherwise there's nothing to talk about because Nozawa rules this lol I mean it doesn't get more definitive than her voice being there from day one until the very last day. Nozawa was so definitive as Goku that she remained on the cast transitioning from kid to adult Goku. Lots of people who aren't familiar with the Japanese version might be weird about her voice, but I never thought that. I remember exactly what my reaction was to hearing her Goku voice for the first time when I was playing Dragon Ball Final Bout or Greatest Legends (I got them at the same time and I don't remember which I played first): "Oh wow, that's how Japanese Goku sounds? Cool." And I never paid it any mind since.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:14 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:
If you don't like Kelamis' Goku, that's fine by me. Personally I never understand why people like this performance: Ron Perlman as Slade/Deathstroke. It's such a monotonous performance and Slade is a painfully one-dimensional villain with no motivations whatsoever.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:19 pm

If you don't like Kelamis' Goku, that's fine by me. Personally I never understand why people like this performance: Ron Perlman as Slade/Deathstroke. It's such a monotonous performance and Slade is a painfully one-dimensional villain with no motivations whatsoever.
One dimensional characters can still be enjoyable if done well. Perlman conveys menace well.

Corlette is very talented and out of all the Canadian actors, I think he's not just the best Goku, he's the best overall actor. Morrow is bland, and Kelamis is too goofy. However, Corlette's characterization, is pretty generic.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:28 pm

ABED wrote:
One dimensional characters can still be enjoyable if done well. Perlman conveys menace well.

Corlette is very talented and out of all the Canadian actors, I think he's not just the best Goku, he's the best overall actor. Morrow is bland, and Kelamis is too goofy. However, Corlette's characterization, is pretty generic.
I know that one-dimensional villains can be enjoyable, but Perlman's Slade was never enjoyable for me. I know that he's a good actor that can convey menace well, but the writers never did much with the character. Deathstroke is far more interesting in the comics. If Slade had more emotional range and had been more fleshed out, then Perlman could have done better.

It's not Corlett's fault that his Goku is generic, it's the script. Had he used his Cheetor voice with a better script, he would have been much better. Morrow and Kelamis are better actors in other stuff.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:39 pm

It's not Corlett's fault that his Goku is generic, it's the script. Had he used his Cheetor voice with a better script, he would have been much better. Morrow and Kelamis are better actors in other stuff.
Corlett was one of the writers.
I know that one-dimensional villains can be enjoyable, but Perlman's Slade was never enjoyable for me. I know that he's a good actor that can convey menace well, but the writers never did much with the character. Deathstroke is far more interesting in the comics. If Slade had more emotional range and had been more fleshed out, then Perlman could have done better.
I'm taking it on its own merits, not against any other version, be it the comics or Arrow. I'm basing it on the one episode I saw from a DTV release. I'm not a fan of the Teen Titans in the comics or cartoons. I enjoyed his take. Granted, it's a small sample.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:01 pm

ABED wrote:
Corlett was one of the writers.
I'm taking it on its own merits, not against any other version, be it the comics or Arrow. I'm basing it on the one episode I saw from a DTV release. I'm not a fan of the Teen Titans in the comics or cartoons. I enjoyed his take. Granted, it's a small sample.
I like the Teen Titans, but I'm not exactly the biggest fan of them.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:56 pm

Who's the definitive James Bond? Sean Connery, or the guy who overdubbed his movies in Spain?