Dragon Ball in Japanese not allowed on YouTube?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallKing
Regular

Dragon Ball in Japanese not allowed on YouTube?

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:39 pm

I don't know if any of you are familiar with a dragon ball uploader on youtube called Immortal. He uploaded many clips of the show in Japanese and was a big reason why I now love the original voices. He wasn't making any money off the clips and all the money went to Toei. A few months ago Toei blocked all his clips so he just deleted them all, he later tried uploading again but toei blocked him again. The point I'm trying to make is that apparently toei doesn't like dragon ball in japanese being on Youtube on the other hand they have no problem if it's clips of the dub or there biggest cash cow One Piece it's just Japanese dragon ball that's forbidden to go on YouTube.
Last edited by DragonBallKing on Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Re: Dragon ball in Japanese not allowed on youtube?

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:55 pm

ImmortalMGTOW, you mean? Yeah that IS an interesting case. It's weird.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:07 pm

He should have known better. Voice clips and music are still authored by the artists, and the Japanese respect their creators, when only the pictures are allowed. The localization team had the right for the images after all, because at the end of the story, they are an adaptation of Akira Toriyama's work. In my opinion, off course...

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:21 pm

Desassina wrote:He should have known better. Voice clips and music are still authored by the artists, and the Japanese respect their creators, when only the pictures are allowed. The localization team had the right for the images after all, because at the end of the story, they are an adaptation of Akira Toriyama's work. In my opinion, off course...
"He should of known better" He didn't get anything for the work he did, all money was going to Toei and probably Toriyama. All he wanted to do was introduce new people to the show in it's original language, is that so wrong

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:25 pm

I didn't want to sound disparaging, but rules are rules, and there's more in the way of promoting a piece of work than ripping its content: reviews, podcasts and editorials, for the episodes included on the discs.

Envy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Envy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:36 pm

Well, I'm sorry, but it's kind of common sense that's not going to fly. He didn't have authorization to post the content, simple.

I watched Dragon Ball Z subbed legally through Hulu years ago, by the way. Toei has offered it through such methods. I don't know if it's hosted anywhere like that anymore since Hulu is different now. But we live in the same state, so I know you would have had access to it, too.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:03 am

How did he send money to Toei? Did he mail a check to their main headquarters? Did he PayPal them? Just from the sound of that, I might be inclined to call BS.

Still, rules are rules. Someone probably brought it to their attention because they seem to come out and play when it comes to the more known YouTubers.

I'll be honest, I know nothing about the situation, but that's my opinion based on what little I know from here. In any event, what's the motivation? Why put up those clips? "Just 'cause?" To "raise awareness?" Regardless, that's copyright-protected material and if you want to find out more about copyright-protected material and YouTube's take-down policy, you can check out the TFZ/DBZA and fair use thread.

bleachguy

Post by bleachguy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:13 am

Never really knew that they would flag Dragon Ball episodes in Japanese. They might flag those videos if they wanted to. I also doubt that Toei gets any money from those videos anyway. If they flagged him and he did not take it down. Its his fault that his account is suspended.

Android 50
Beyond Newbie

Post by Android 50 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:20 pm

Envy wrote:Well, I'm sorry, but it's kind of common sense that's not going to fly. He didn't have authorization to post the content, simple.

I watched Dragon Ball Z subbed legally through Hulu years ago, by the way. Toei has offered it through such methods. I don't know if it's hosted anywhere like that anymore since Hulu is different now. But we live in the same state, so I know you would have had access to it, too.
Hulu still has DB and GT but they don't have Z anymore so unless you have a funimation subscription there really is no way to watch Z on a legal site.
Maron is stacked!!

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:27 am

DragonBallKing wrote:
Desassina wrote:He should have known better. Voice clips and music are still authored by the artists, and the Japanese respect their creators, when only the pictures are allowed. The localization team had the right for the images after all, because at the end of the story, they are an adaptation of Akira Toriyama's work. In my opinion, off course...
"He should of known better" He didn't get anything for the work he did, all money was going to Toei and probably Toriyama. All he wanted to do was introduce new people to the show in it's original language, is that so wrong
Hate to nit pick but Should have is correct, should of is incorrect

That being said I enjoyed seeing immortals videos on youtube as what really annoys me about all the English dub scenes is that they have Faulconer, so being able to hear the original score accompanying a scene was always great.

Plus as far as I'm aware he uploaded what his fans asked him to do/ OG dragonball scenes too (a rarity on youtube)

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:32 am

Krillin1994 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
Hate to nit pick but Should have is correct, should of is incorrect

That being said I enjoyed seeing immortals videos on youtube as what really annoys me about all the English dub scenes is that they have Faulconer, so being able to hear the original score accompanying a scene was always great.

Plus as far as I'm aware he uploaded what his fans asked him to do/ OG dragonball scenes too (a rarity on youtube)
My bad, I'm from Oklahoma and everyone else says "should of" instead of "should have" so i guess it rubbed off on me.

I just don't see why Toei has such a tight grip on DB in Japanese. On the other hand there are many other channels uploading Japanese one piece, those video's are getting millions of views but for some reason Toei doesn't care about those.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:17 pm

Toei can have a tight grip on any piece of property that they own. It's theirs. They don't want someone else using their work. I'm sure their mentality -- and rightfully so -- is if you want to watch it, it should come from them or their affiliates that they have money contracts with. Does Toei have a department to roam the internet looking for their content? I bet they do. Dragon Ball is probably the most popular and let's be honest, that's their baby. So damned right they'll have a tight grip on that.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:31 pm

Fine fine, I see that I'm wrong for being a little ticked off about this. If Toei is concerned about there stuff on Youtube why does this exist https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKq-Vv ... Q/featured does Toei only care about dragon ball and that's why Japanese clips are so rare compared to One Piece
Last edited by DragonBallKing on Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:36 pm

Who knows? I just don't think their attention was drawn to that YouTube channel yet. Who knows? But just because they don't crack down on one piece of their property doesn't mean that they shouldn't crack down on any of it. It could just mean that they're sloppy with some properties but not others.

Daimo-Rukiri

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:55 pm

Now, how long were the clips? 5-10 minutes? If I recall TOEI usually only removes videos that are only over 5 minutes long but could be wrong, I can find Dragon Ball/Z/GT/Super in Japanese and even full episodes if you look hard enough.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:29 pm

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:Now, how long were the clips? 5-10 minutes? If I recall TOEI usually only removes videos that are only over 5 minutes long but could be wrong, I can find Dragon Ball/Z/GT/Super in Japanese and even full episodes if you look hard enough.
I'm pretty sure they were all under 5. But whatever, it's their loss for someone trying to promote the series in Japanese.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Dragon Ball in Japanese not allowed on YouTube?

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:40 pm

This thread needs a re-linking.

No, you cannot reproduce something in part or in whole on your own just because you want to for any particular reason that you decide (whether that be for "education" or for "promotion" or out of "love"). Yes, people do that, but that's not actually the law.

That Toei is inconsistent with how they approach things also doesn't change anything.

Maybe they have bots looking for certain terms or certain lengths. Maybe they manually check against follower/subscriber count. Maybe they have personal beefs. Maybe it's one dude sitting in the corner of a law office basement doing whatever he can get to in his spare time.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:40 pm

I wouldn't say it's "their loss." How many of those people would go, "Ooh! I need to go out and buy the series now!" Unless it elicits that kind of reaction, they don't lose anything.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:54 pm

Most of the videos that are out there with footage of Toei's shows are monetized by them. You may be striked or you may not, but there is 99% chance the video gets monetized. The money from those videos goes to toei. Fancy editing is needed to escape from that, but those people eventually get striked anyway. It could be different in english side of things, but I am not sure about that.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:08 pm

Sodhi wrote:Most of the videos that are out there with footage of Toei's shows are monetized by them. You may be striked or you may not, but there is 99% chance the video gets monetized. The money from those videos goes to toei. Fancy editing is needed to escape from that, but those people eventually get striked anyway. It could be different in english side of things, but I am not sure about that.
What do you mean? You believe that Toei automatically gets a cut from every video that goes up on YouTube by random people?